• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

something just isn't right...

depression cognitive impairment cognitive decline hormonal imbalance mineral deficiency adhd cfs chronic fatigue

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Instant. I didn't know this, but I was taking more than 5 times the recommended dose (5mg) every night. In fact, I don't think I should be taking it at all as an 18 year old. Upon doing a bit more research I feel like melatonin is not really a good sleep aid unless you have jet lag or you're trying to change your sleeping patterns. I think even a hormone as little as melatonin can throw your hormones through a loop if used too often. Ever since I quit using it though I feel much better. Its been about 4 days and I'm not waking up tired/groggy every single day. Still a bit depressed, but I''m in a significantly better mood.

I still have to get like 10 hrs of sleep to feel well rested. Anything less and I feel pretty anxious and sleep deprived. Maybe it has something to do with feeling sore after exercising.

#32 Puppeteer

• 127 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hi man.

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's bloody criminal that GPs are able to prescribe potent antidepressants like Wellbutrin when their knowledge of mental illnesses and their treatment is so rudimentary. It seems that the majority of them respond to "I'm feeling depressed/anxious/sluggish" is "medicate! medicate! medicate!" without any consideration to the fact that there may be something wrong with diet/lifestyle or another medical condition that's causing the symptoms. You wind up on a drug with various horrible side effects which may not even work whilst a possible underlying physical impairment/deficiency continues to go unchecked...

Did you request blood tests to check for deficiencies related to depression etc. i.e.: folate, iron, thyroid hormone, B12, Vitamin D (I'm sure there are many more possible culprits that in-the-know folk here can suggest)?

Do you have a current stack?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Well I basically do the research and my doctor usually prescribes what I ask for.

After doing quite a few tests I'm not really convinced anymore that a mere deficiency has caused the symptoms I've been experiencing. I'm 99.9% positive the issues I experience are biological and not situational or nutritional. I also do not think I am depressed in any sort of situational way. At least not more so than the average person. I can't really say there is anything that, given the right medication, I couldn't go out and fix.

The only diagnosis I've ever been given was for ADHD-PI although the doctor was originally hesitant to put me on any sort of stimulant due to my inattentive symptoms as opposed to the batshit restless text book ADHD child. My symptoms were at the time(and not an unmedicated moment in my life have these symptoms ever gone away) are: Distractibility, poor social skills(as in I get jokes more slowly and respond slowly) fatigue, sleep problems, trouble recalling older memories, issues with verbal fluency, anxiety, and difficulty making important decisions. I've switched up my diet numerous times, tried my absolute hardest to get into a regular dieting and exercising program, getting on a good sleep schedule, various nootropics with little to no effect (with the exception of piracetam and aniracetam) yet these problems persist. I'm certainly not dumb, but I can't pull up info from my memory in situations where I desperately need it. I've noticed the only time I don't have issues with social skills is when they are 1. Writing/emails/text messages and 2. On some sort of norpineherine acting substance(although strange wellbutrin did NOT work for me). It's not that I don't have the social skills there, it's that I can't pull them up. Of course social skills aren't the only thing affected, but when this sort of thing happens it triggers anxiety and things get worse eventually leading me to depression. As a kid I didn't start out with anxiety or depression, but as these symptoms became more obvious, I started getting more anxious.

So although I'm not keen on traditional medicine(as doctors only give a shit about their paychecks) I'm not educated enough to put unstudied substances(piracetam and aniracetam) into my body. I do have a problem with self diagnosing( I know myself better than anyone else) and I right now I'm pretty sure my symptoms aren't ADHD related, rather SCT related.

Edited by TheBatman, 10 January 2014 - 09:56 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#34 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

I was taking more than 5 times the recommended dose (5mg) every night. In fact, I don't think I should be taking it at all as an 18 year old.

Hopefully someone your age would be making decent amounts of melatonin yourself, without the need to supplement. Supposedly, late night use of gadgets with bright screens can suppress melatonin production.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, cognitive impairment, cognitive decline, hormonal imbalance, mineral deficiency, adhd, cfs, chronic fatigue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users