- - - - -

Best stretches for deadlifts

stretches deadlifts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

What are the best 2-4 stretches I can focus on that will help me specifically with deadlifts? I want to focus on flexibility that will allow me to drop into the deadlift/squat position in perfect form, and not have tight muscles working against proper form.

I'll be using a trap bar if that matters.

#2 Brainy

• 37 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hi Strelok

For the stretches It really depends like you said on which of your body part is tight. I would highly suggest using a foam roller and roll the tight muscle up to 20 mins before doing deadlift or squats. Other good stretches incude:

-Back on the floor leg raises on the wall, bring your leg slowly toward you while keeping your but as close as possible to the wall.
- In a squat position bodyweight on the heels, press on your legs with an outward pression.

Also, for the form. Watch a lot of video on youtube, that helps tremendously. Also, if you feel unsure about your form, ask the big bodybuilder at your gym to give you some pointer if needed. It always feel great to be asked for your opinion :)

But most importantly... keep on lifting :-D

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Proverb

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Foam rolling, core strength and hamstring flexibility are all good for improving your deadlift.

#4 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Dynamic stretching of the core, back, hams, calves, shoulders, and neck. I know you asked for only 2-4, but the more of these you do, the better prepared you'll be for heavy deadlifts.

Why shoulders and neck? Shoulders because your arms will hold the weight and move through a significant range of motion for holding such a heavy object. Neck because it's connected to the shoulders, and you want to practice being aware of its muscle tone so you don't do awkward things with your head position while you lift.

Why dynamic stretching? It's more useful for weightlifters because it improves your ability to actually USE your full range of motion. Static stretches improve ROM, but also temporarily weaken the muscle. No problem if you're a contortionist, but it would be very bad to weaken your core or thighs right before a deadlift.

Dynamic stretches are better for most athletic activities because they're actually continuing to warm the muscle up while you do them, and they don't reduce your strength.

EDIT: I forgot to add, +1 to the foam rolling suggestion. Make sure you know how to foam roll -- your objective is to find pressure points and spend 20-40 seconds on each one massaging it out, which is another effective way to loosen up tight muscles without weakening them.

Edited by jadamgo, 25 January 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#5 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

http://www.runnerswo...ng-_-HalfPigeon

Has helped me.

#6 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Dynamic stretching of the core, back, hams, calves, shoulders, and neck. I know you asked for only 2-4, but the more of these you do, the better prepared you'll be for heavy deadlifts.

Why shoulders and neck? Shoulders because your arms will hold the weight and move through a significant range of motion for holding such a heavy object. Neck because it's connected to the shoulders, and you want to practice being aware of its muscle tone so you don't do awkward things with your head position while you lift.

Why dynamic stretching? It's more useful for weightlifters because it improves your ability to actually USE your full range of motion. Static stretches improve ROM, but also temporarily weaken the muscle. No problem if you're a contortionist, but it would be very bad to weaken your core or thighs right before a deadlift.

Dynamic stretches are better for most athletic activities because they're actually continuing to warm the muscle up while you do them, and they don't reduce your strength.

EDIT: I forgot to add, +1 to the foam rolling suggestion. Make sure you know how to foam roll -- your objective is to find pressure points and spend 20-40 seconds on each one massaging it out, which is another effective way to loosen up tight muscles without weakening them.

Perhaps good advice, but which dynamic stretches and how do you do them? I've had trouble with my lower back due to tight muscles and would love some good lower body dynamic stretches. I used to be really flexible when I was younger, but it has gotten worse over the years and my stretching knowledge hasn't kept up enough to easily keep my muscles loose. Positions I hold at work get certain muscles tight(sometimes on only one side) and tend to leave my lower back prone to injury during squats and deadlifts. It sucks.

I would like to add though that in my experience static stretching before lifting doesn't affect strength levels. I know there are at least some studies widely quoted that show that it does, but it must be pretty situation specific because I believe I've seen 10% reduction in strength and other numbers thrown around, and I'd notice even a few % decrease and its definitely not there. Static stretching might be inferior to dynamic stretching in many instances, but it isn't the demon some people and studies have made it out to be.

#7 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

You're right that static stretching isn't horrible; it's just not that helpful for strength or power activities. Even if it doesn't necessarily decrease strength in a given circumstance, it also doesn't increase it like dynamic stretching does. Remember that movement-based flexibility exercises count as a continuation of the warmup, and as long as you don't deplete energy stores too badly during the warmup, more is better all the way from 5 minutes up to about a half hour. (Benefits drop off after roughly the half-hour mark in most circumstances as the sympathetic adaptation is already firmly in place, and all you'd be doing at that point is burning glycogen.)

There are two main phases of a good dynamic stretch routine. The first is general, where you're targeting whichever large kinetic chains need flexibility work across the body. This is usually done aerobically, roughly 8-12 reps and roughly 1-2 sets for each side of the body, always alternating in the case of multiple sets, and starting with the tighter/weaker side first. Here's a good introductory routine: http://greatist.com/...dynamic-warm-up

Next, and this part is very important, is movement-specific dynamic stretches. This basically means that you're practicing a few sets of the actual motion you'd be using, e.g. deadlift, BUT:
More quickly, and
With a greater range of motion, and
With very light weights only.

In fact, for many core and lower body exercises you could start with bodyweight. I personally warm up for squats by doing a few increased-ROM sets of bodyweight and then dumbbell squats. I'm talking ass to the grass and pop right back up. This is not only a great flexibility and strength warmup for the posterior KC, but it's also a great way to practice lifting technique. I still have to remind myself not to let my knees bow in or my lower back round, and it's a lot easier to keep those sorts of technical errors under control if I've first practiced without any challenging weight.

Of course, you may need no practice on technique, in which case you can devote your attention to the flexibility aspect of the routine.
  • like x 1

#8 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Thank you, that video is helpful and I'll incorporate some of that into my warmup.

I personally don't like really light versions of deadlifts and squats. It seems the less weight you have on the bar the easier it is to use bad technique and the lift doesn't have the same "feel". For an example, it would be easy to deadlift with the bar fairly far in front of you with a light weight, or start with an excessively low hip position, etc, but with a heavy weight the leverages wouldn't allow it, or would at least provide more biofeedback. For this reason I like doing all my practice/warm ups with enough weight to get the right "feeling".

Another link with some good stretches that I ran into, and that should be helpful for the OP(I've started doing them myself):
http://www.tonygenti...uatting-part-i/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Strelok

• Topic Starter
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for all the info guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users