• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You Think of Fermented Cod Liver Oil?

fermented cod liver oil fish oil cod liver oil

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SeekingSerenity

• 61 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Do you or anyone you know use it? If so, what do you think of it? How does it compare to other fish oils that you've used?

As of 2014, I know of only one company that makes it.

Posted Image
  • like x 1

#2 JamesNV

• 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

I like it. I've been taking it semi-regularily (and skate liver oil by the same company) for a few years now. It tastes like crap, but that doesn't really bother me. Most important to me is that it's for our kids. We put this in their smoothy every morning (along with a single drop of Thorne Vitamin K2 MK4.)

I like the fact that our kids are getting vitamins a & d from a natural source. It's a food, so it has all kinds of compounds and vitamin variants, many of which remain unstudied. So it's a whole food, not some discreet synthesized chemical compound.

Does this make it a more effective product? At the end of the day I simply don't know. But I like the company, I like their approach and I'm happy to support them. And because it's a food I feel totally safe feeding it to our kids. We are going to re-introduce spirulina into their smoothies soon.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

What happens when cod liver oil is fermented? Is the oil exposed to oxygen during this process? My main concern is with oxidation of the highly unsaturated fatty acids. I don't see how calling it a food makes it safe for children. That's really determined by what is in the fermented CLO, and I'm not sure we know what that is.
  • like x 2

#4 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

It's the Weston A. Price variety of snake oil.

I would avoid it. First for the risk of oxidation, as niner pointed out, second for the same reason I would avoid any kind of cod liver oil: vitamin A toxicity. Vitamin A is a weak vitamin D receptor antagtonist and there is known toxicity from doses of preformed retinol you can easily ingest from an ordinary amount of cod liver oil. See this article.from the vitamin D council.
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 JamesNV

• 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

No, simply calling it a food does not automatically make it safe. However, I see no harm in a little bit of cod liver oil, prepared the old fashioned way (or as close to it as possible).

As for oxidization:
http://www.greenpast...peroxide-value/

My understanding is that many oils are stripped of their nutrients, then synthetic vitamins are re-added. Regarding vitamin a toxicity, from their site: "The main Vitamin A in Real FCLO is Palmitate form not retinol."

Anyways, I recommend further research on this particular brand of oil, especially before trashing it publicly. But good fodder for discussion I suppose. ;)
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fermented cod liver oil, fish oil, cod liver oil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)