• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anything to reduce/eliminate nightmares?

nightmares depakote

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

I have been having what borders on nightmares (among other problems) for a while now, making it miserable for me to even think of falling asleep. Sometimes I'm not even fully awake and it starts. I'm currently only taking Depakote for intrusive thoughts (completely ineffective, but I've tried so many things without success that I don't know what to do). There is a chance Depakote may be causing this problem, but I put that to the side, as the problem was present even before I started taking it.

Edited by Heh, 13 February 2014 - 02:03 AM.

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

cyproheptadine, if you don't mind daytime drowsiness and appetite increase

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

prazosin
  • like x 1

#4 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Yes , cyproheptadine is worth a try.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9606583
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1900585

I've used it sometimes for my insomnia, it's pretty powerful. Don't take more than 2mg the first time you use it, otherwise it will leave you groggy the day after. Also, it takes about 4 hours after dosing before you can feel it's sleep-inducing effect, so plan accordingly. And lastly don't take it more than a couple of times a week as tolerance develop rapidly and it looses it's efficacy quickly.

#5 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

If depakote isn't helping with anything then don't take it. For both intrusive thoughts and nightmares, SSRIs often work. The SNRIs may work even better.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:39 AM

Diphenhydramine for some people will reduce dreams, for others it will make it worse.

Taurine taken before bed noticeably helps my sleep quality but reduces my ability to recall dreams.

I suppose benzos are sometimes given for nightmares, and taurine is slightly GABAergic (positive allosteric modulator), so I'd say it's worth a shot.

Also meditating into sleep can help significantly, as it allows you to release anxieties before they follow you into the dream realm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nightmares, depakote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users