85 replies to this topic

#31 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

Sven
Bulterijs
Male
Studies: first bachelor chemistry at university of Ghent (Belgium).

#32 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

Ilia Stambler
34, Male, Israel

CV:
1989-1990. Moscow Polytechnical Institute. Department of Bioengineering. Russia.
1991-1993. Haifa Institute of Technology (Technion). Department of Biology. Israel.
1994-2001. BA, MA. Bar-Ilan University. Department of English. Israel.
2002-present. Technical writer. Biophysical Interdisciplinary Schottenstein Center for the Research and the Technology of the Cellome. Bar-Ilan University. Israel.
2005-present. PhD student. Department of the History of Science. Bar-Ilan University. Israel.

Publications:
Breast cancer detection by Michaelis–Menten constants via linear programming. Blokh, Afrimzon, Stambler, et al. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine. 2006 Dec 21; [Epub ahead of print]
The influence of different cultivating conditions on polymorphonuclear leukocyte apoptotic process in vitro, II: ultrastructural characteristics of PMN populations incubated with proteinase 3 anti-neutrophil autoantibodies. Guejes, Zurgil, Stambler, et al. Ultrastructural Pathology. 2005 Jan-Feb;29(1):37-51.
Heroic Power in Thomas Carlyle and Leo Tolstoy. Stambler. The European Legacy, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp. 737–751, 2006.

#33 edbear

• 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:43 AM

Russ

Age 42
Sex M

B.Sc. Cell Biology 1988
Ph.D. Molecular Evolution 2001

Current interests - Evolution, Astrobiology, Biotech Commercialization

Current position - Managing a large genomics project

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields - Just keeping an eye on things for the time being.

Anything else you care to mention - I've had a long-term interest in aging research, but never really expected much to come out of it in the foreseeable future. The work in elucidating the mechanism of the calorie restriction effect was a major pleasant surprise, and I'm starting to feel like there may be hope after all.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 dragozov

• 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

Plamen
Dragozov
Male

M. Sc. Solid State Physics, Sofia University, 2002

Current position: Director of engineering at a software company in Ireland

Current interests: Genetics, Bioengineering, Computational Microbiology, Ageing/Longevity, Programming, Business, Trading

Plans on aging and related: At this moment - mainly donating money. I'm too busy between my full time job and my own projects and business plans. When I have time, I'm improving my knowledge of microbiology and genetics and plan on doing a degree or work and invest in research in bioengineering in the future.

Anything else: I really have high hopes for big changes during my lifetime, so I'm very interested in anything practical (and proven!) that would give me better chances. I'm trying to keep myself healthy and fit with a combination of balanced diet, regular exercises, a light form of meditation and a relaxed and healthy life style.

#35 lauri

• 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

Lauri
Tõntson
Male

MSc Chemistry, University of Tartu, Estonia

Currently investigating the modulation of promiscuity of G-protein coupled receptor function in the mammalian central nervous system. Interested in molecular recognition, intracellular signaling and development of enzyme-based pharmacons.

Near-term goal: earn a PhD in a lab working on SENS-related topics

Long term: Work on the fundamental science needed to increase human health-span or alternatively/concomitantly - enigneer something that just Works.

#36 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

Male 37y

Degrees: M.Sc in Engineering Physics 1996, Dr. of Science in Technology some day (95% done, has been left hanging for the past 4 years due to work obligations)

Field: Remote Sensing and active microwave Earth Observation in general, Spaceborne SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) Interferometry in particular.

Published research: ~10 articles in refereed journals, 4 as 1st or 2nd author. Numerous articles in conference proceedings.

Current position: Coordinating R&D in SAR in an international space agency.

#37 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

Name: Sergo
Sex: Male

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them: undergraduate in Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology, Tallinn University of Technology
Current interests: Cell biology, CNS physiology
Near-term goals: Finish my BA and get an MD in pharmacology and biomedicine
Current position: Student
What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: extend human life-span through biomedical manipulations

#38 ventureboy

• 19 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

Brian
Wowk
forty something
M

B.Sc. Physics
M.Sc. Medical Physics (radiation oncology)
Ph.D. Medical Physics (functional MRI) all at University of Manitoba

Current interests: Science and engineering of complex tissue preservation (medical cryobiology)
Current position: Senior Scientist, 21st Century Medicine, Inc.
Goals: End all disease, or die trying

Hi Brian. I did a Library Book review on youre book "Cryonics: Reaching For Tomorrow"for the Adult Summer Reading Program at my local Library in the Summer of 2,001 and won a Prize for it. Oh yea,and my Dad is a Retired Chemist.He is 71 years old. [glasses]

#39 lyelee

• 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

All scientists: undergraduates, graduates, post graduates, medical doctors, post doctorates, etc.
I want to list all of the professional scientists here.
Please list yourselves in this fashion below.
First name.
Last name.
Age.
Sex.
Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them.
Current interests.
Near-term goals.
Current position.
What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields.  (If you haven't clarified already, of course)
Anything else you care to mention.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Let us introduce ourselves ( 2 people using the same account)

Lyeleejoe from Hong Kong
33, Female
Business Management, fashion designer, culinary school
Alternative natural products from South America
Get married and start a family
General Manager Reyes Avila LLC
My company distributes coca tea to Amazon.com http://www.amazon.co...d-keywords=coca a great energizer and a good alternative to destructive caffeine, you can read more at: http://mysteriousbolivia.blogspot.com/

CB
Reyes Avila from Bolivia
31, Female
Electronic Engineer, fashion designer, Masters : Industrial Control, a few classes away from MBA
International Markets
President Reyes Avila LLC
Alternative products from South America and rain forest, coca tea, herbal teas. Analysis of millinery cultures as Aymara and Quechua

edited: quote tags fixed

Edited by Matthias, 08 September 2007 - 02:23 PM.

#40 forevertop

• 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

name: H.B.
degree: Ph.D. - psychology

#41 bosozok

• 30 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

Gerard
Male

Approaching mid point in Ph.D. Linguisitics

Like to keep fit and love the outdoors. Currently ftudy and family are keeping life focused.

Drawn to Imminst.org initially by the discussions on how to potentiate the brain power rather than on how to live past 100.

Overall quite ordinary, aside perhaps from my admiration for the writings of Trotsky.

#42 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:49 PM

Hey Bosozok, welcome!
How about writing about yourself in a new topic?

#43 lauritta

• 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:49 AM

All scientists: undergraduates, graduates, post graduates, medical doctors, post doctorates, etc.
I want to list all of the professional scientists here.

First name. Ana Laura - call me Laura.
Last name. F-K
Age. NEVER, never ask a lady about her age!!! I am serious.
Sex. Female

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them. BS - Biochemist MS - Immunology
Current interests: obviously, aging.

Near-term goals. Get my PhD.

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: Aging - Mitochondria. This little organelle has fascinated me for years!

Edited by lauritta, 08 September 2007 - 09:27 AM.

#44 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

First name: Shai
Last name: Nishry

Studying for Biotechnology, Open University of Israel.

Current interests: find ways to live forever, genetics, physics, computer games.

Near-term goals: Study, study, study.

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: Mainly genetics.

#45 soren

• 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:04 AM

SM Stirling

Rapidly shooting through the neck of a third decade...

Male

Underway, a rather nebulous second degree in the Natural Sciences, (Biochemistry, quantum physics, and environmental science)
If my loan is approved, will be adding computer science and nano tech.

Current Interests: Much in common with everyone here, in fact, bioengineering, cosmology, nano tech, AI or AGI, I should say, neuroscience, bioinformatics, cryobiology, space flight, and alternative fuels research.
To a lesser extent, casting a nervous eye over global politics and global economics.
And Dutch body modification circuses.

Near-term goals. - To learn these things as well and speedily as is possible, then with luck, to get an idea as to what to do with it all, during the next two years.

Current position. Student/borderline novelist disorder.

Not entirely sure how I will aid longevity research as yet. Maybe through film, books, articles, events, fund raising, > time shall reveal all I hope.
Research one day... In any case, to do some justice to my childhood science fantasies.

#46 mattbrowne

• 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:59 AM

First name: Matt
Last name: Browne

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them: M.S. in Computer Science & Computational Linguistics

Current interests: Promotion of cryonics (by promoting my book)

Near-term goals: Cryopreservation of human embryos & development of artificial womb & development of NLP systems for androids capable of raising children

Current position: IT Professional & Fiction Writer

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: Cryopreservation of human adults & Androids supervising their revival in the (far) future

#47 cherikoff

• 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

Vic
Cherikoff
male

B.App.Sc. University of Technology, Sydney, NSW Australia
Research Associate, University of Western Sydney, NSW, Australia

My work in is the field of indigenous Australian foods and functionals and my company, Cherikoff Authentic Australian Ingredients markets food, beverage, nutraceutical and cosmetic ingredients globally.

Near-term goals: promote my natural preservative, Herbal-Active™ as a viable, beneficial substitute for chemical preservatives such as benzoates and sorbates etc.

I am currently writing my fourth book. This one is on the nutritional significance of wild foods in our diet based on evidence from the oldest living culture on the planet - that of the Australian Aborigines and current scientific principles.

#48 kafkastoaster

• 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:32 AM

Will
Woods
Male

Education status: Psychology, Philosophy, and Biology undergrad.

Current Interests: Evolutionary Socio-Psychology, Radical Philosophy, Cognitive Physiology, Behavioral Economics, Transhumanism, Eugenics (not racial disgenics), Neurolinguistics, Chaos, Medicine, Number Theory, Psychosocial History, Egalitarianism, Pseudoscience, Cosmopolitanism, Human Factor Theory, World Religions, Secular Humanism, Futurism, Mnemonics, Memetics, Genetics, Aesthetics, Hermeneutics, Pharmaceutics, Aeronautics, Robotics, Environmental Protectionism, Causality, Entropy, Human Sexuality, Xenology, Game Theory, International Relations, Freethought, The Golden Ratio, Pacifism, Synthetic Languages, International Literature and Cinema, A.I., Megafauna, Conceptualization of Infinity, Autodidacticism, Neural Networking, Neuromarketing, Felicific Calculus, Connectivism, Famous Polymaths, Art, Archeology, Paleofutures, World Travel, Astronomy, Microlending, Prediction Markets, Superhappiness, Hydroponics, Frisbee Golf, etc.

Current Goals: I am interested in either going to medical school to become a anesthesiologist or finding something more interesting and less stressful to do with my life, perhaps becoming a full time scientist or science writer.

Current Position: I am a student leader in the honors department at the University of Iowa, involved in fourteen different organizations around campus. I have had a lot of research and medical experience working in the UIowa Psych. department and volunteering at local hospitals.

Plans: Encourage Immortalism, Life Extension Research, and Genetic Engineering

Edited by Shannon, 16 February 2008 - 05:34 PM.
requested by user

#49 GrumpyMrGruff

• Guest, F@H
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

James
Hengenius
Male

B.Sc. Biology, Case Western Reserve University
Working on a Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University
Dynamic modeling and culture of cells and tissues with emphasis on ameliorating various disease states
Currently using the above process to look at ischemic condtions in cardiac cells
Graduate research assistant (lab minion :-D )
The above research methodology could be applied to age-related pathologies some day, but right now I work on whatever my PI finds interesting. (Thankfully, I find it interesting too.)

Edited by GrumpyMrGruff, 27 March 2008 - 01:25 PM.

#50 chik

• 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

PhD in Physics, University of Hong Kong.
Now working in UK, about Computational Neuroscience.

I have thought about immortality from different angles: genetics, herbs, robotics, artificial general intelligence, quantum physics, even parapsychology, ancient mythology, black magic... but at this moment I have no idea which way to go. I start feeling that, my life has not begun yet...

#51 digfarenough

• 26 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

First name. Eric
Last name. Zilli
Age. 26.997 (approx.)
Sex. Male

Education:
2003 B.A. Computer Science, Kalamazoo College, MI
2007 Ph.D. Neuroscience, Boston University, MA

Interests: Theoretical neuroscience: studying the role of memory systems in behavior (making adaptive systems that learn and remember)
Current position: Research Associate, Boston University
Relation of my work to aging: My work is on the technical side: translating the way brains work into algorithms allows for "smarter" technology, which can then be applied to, e.g., biological problems. It is an indirect link, admittedly. I'm particularly interested in the eventual medical applications of intelligent technology.

#52 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:26 AM

Joseph
Henry
Male

Currently an undergrad at Middle Tennessee State University working towards:
- B.Sc. Computer Science (2011)
- B.Sc. Physics (2012)
- With a goal of a Masters and eventually a PhD. in Computer Science

Interests:
- Artificial Intelligence [ Knowledge Representation/Acquisition/Management, Pattern Recognition, Learning algorithms, and Artificial Neural Networks ]
- Physics [ Everything ]

Near-term goals:
- Keep refining my AGI architecture (Sapphire) and hopefully get some commercial applications going [within 5 years ideally]

Current position: At home researcher.

Edited by Joseph, 10 May 2008 - 01:28 AM.

#53 Mondey

• Life Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

[quote name='Mondey' date='7-Jul 2006, 09:41 AM' post='119654']
Name: Mondey
Sex: female

Ph. D. Cell Biology 2003
Current interests: My interests are adult stem cells for cell-based therapies (against aging), identification and isolation of “young” adult stem cells from old patients, factor delivery to the brain by nanoparticles, brain aging/ neurodegeneration, cryopreservation, automated cell culture

Near-term goals: My near term goal is to study fusion as a basis for improved tissue regeneration, reprogramming cells, test cell replacement in animals
Current position: Group leader
Current interests: find students to work on the projects :-) please send me a pm if you are interested

#54 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:29 AM

Name: Matthias

Dipl.Inf. (= M.Sc.), University of Hamburg / Department of Informatics

Interests:
- automatic control of atomic force microscopes
- nanomanipulation

Edited by Matthias, 23 March 2009 - 08:40 PM.

#55 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:45 AM

All arts, sciences, and humanities here, with a big picture inclination, but I WAS a Computer Science Minor, and, as a result, retain a generalist's background in programming languages, computer architecture, boolean algebra, discrete math, graph theory, and other essentials of the field.

But, on a progressive note, my current learning trend toward scripting languages, markup languages, web 2.0, blogging, and Flash is much more exciting and readily useful, though I never undervalue the power of a renaissance scholar's education and ever aspire toward it.

#56 DrFeelgood

• 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

Richard
W

Age 36

Medical Doctor - anaesthesia and intensive care medicine, practicing in the uk.

Interest in nutrition in the critically ill, as well as restoring old cars, car audio, running half marathons and hopefully an impending triathlete!

Also interested in not succumbing to my family history of ischaemic heart disease...

#57 Odysseus

• Guest, F@H
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

I am 23 years old, and I have a B.A. in Computer Science and a B.A. in Cognitive Science.
I am working on a Ph.D. in Cognitive Science and Cognitive Psychology.
I study and model human learning and memory.

#58 Danail

• 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Danail
Angelov
Male

I am not sure if I am in the category scientist, however here is my information:
I am a graduated dentist in Plovdiv, Bukgaria
One f my interests is collecting information about the opportunity of longer life

#59 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

I guess I should post here as well, now that I've officially started my education:

Johan
Svantesson Sjöberg
Male

Currently an undergraduate student at Lund University in Sweden. Working towards a B.Sc. in molecular biology (2011).
After that, my plans include an M.Sc. in a related field (not entirely sure which one yet, but that will be in 2013), and hopefully a Ph.D. (in 2017).

I would like to work on some aspect of SENS. Mitochondria and AGEs have especially caught my interest so far. Stem cells seem very interesting as well, although I don't feel like I know enough about them yet to make an educated statement.

#60 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Mixter
Munich
Male

After career in software engineering, now undergraduate at University of Munich (LMU) & University of Applied Sciences Munich (TUM),
working toward a Diplom in Bioinformatics, due 2011. Could be ready for switching to and getting a B.Sc. next year with a lot of work,
but decided to deepen scientific areas, mostly more biochemistry. Most intensive stuff done sometime next year, then time for MFURI. :-D
Ph.D. only if nothing more interesting regarding aging research pops up in 2011 which I almost expect to.

Areas of work: ideally gerontology (everything there), pharmacology and SENS. For now, I'll probably write my thesis and go deeper
into either metabolomics, algorithms for folding or gene annotation, or structural biology (the latter if I feel masochistic enough).
Also translating science stuff for-, and working with an organization who wants to bring a LEF-like education and lobbying in germany.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users