85 replies to this topic

#61 Jessy_Hoo

• Guest, F@H
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:22 AM

Jessy
Hoover
Female

Currently I'm a first year college student (I know, I know, I got a late start) at Lord Fairfax Community College in Virginia. I'm working toward my Associates in Liberal Arts and Science. Then I plan to transfer to a four year for a B.S. in some type of Biology but I'm not positive on which yet. I've narrowed my choices for schools down to UVA, VCU, Mary Washington, or GWU. Then maybe for my MD, and later my PhD. in Political Science. I want to Change things, and want to be an asset to the national and global community; I would love to have a hand in finding cures (not just treatments) for such things as Cancer, Autism, Heart Diesase, etc.

Current interests: I'm doing a study on Stem Cells for my current Biology class (LOL, Although I have concensed my English Professor to let me do my research paper on that same subject contengent that may have to "dummy it down" so that my fellow students will understand it (per my professor's words).

Near-term goals: I'm thinking this means a project goal???? Well, my biology (stem cell) project is totally my baby right now.

#62 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Ali
A.
Age-24
Sex-M

Final year medical student.
Interested in biochemical basis of neuropharmacology. I am also interested in medical ethics. I am currently working on a questionnaire concerning physician assisted suicide and will be presenting my findings to the Medical Ethics team in the school of medicine.
Near term goals is to get a surgical residency in America or Canada assuming I score high enough on the USMLE (fingers crossed)
Currently I am in a government funded scholarship in Ireland.
I am very much interested in research. If it is not evidence based, than there is no basis to it. (A bit dogmatic maybe?)
What I plan to contribute to anti-aging? I have no set plan, but I am already trying to get funding for research on fasting and its affects on various memory tests. I know its been done, but it will be good experience for a starting research paper. Hopefully this will pave the way for more research. I know this is nothing major, but I am only a beginner in this.

#63 Proconsul

• 108 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

Anton P, 44, M

MS in Biomedical Laboratory Sciences, Karolinska Inst., Sweden

Currently PhD student in Molecular Biology

Near term goals: getting the bloody PhD

Future plans: working in the antiaging/life estension research, particularly in projects looking for results in the short/middle term (hey, I've just filled 44, time is ticking!)

Particular interests: repair enzymes

Other oddities: I hate cell phones, which is for me an an ulterior reason to respect Aubrey deGrey.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Name: Daniel
Sex: Male

Current education: 4th year Cognitive Science major at UCLA (should have degree within a year or two)

Current interests: Computer Science, Psychology, Philosophy, AI, Language

Near-term goals: Get my degree and a job

Current position: Student (also just got hired as a tutor)

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields:

Hopefully lots of things, but I would like to work on advanced AI and hopefully guide it in the right direction. Also, I'd like to see literal mind-machine interfaces in my lifetime and hopefully I'll be one of the people to help make it happen.

Anything else you care to mention:

I'm new to the site and the community, but not new to the ideas. I hope to get to know you guys so that we can share what we have to offer each other. I think that every field has something to provide to the others. Any other people interested in the same field(s) feel free to contact me. Or if you live in the L.A. area let me know I'm not alone here :~

#65 jfransen

• 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:40 AM

First name. J
Last name. Fransén
Age. 22, brithday 12feb
Sex. Male

MD PhD program at Karolinska Institute, Stockholm Sweden. Home of the the Nobel Prize.

I'm interested in translational research and working clinically with Anti-aging Medicine on patients

Long term goals: Finishing my Medical school in a year and do my internship and Residency in Europe or the U.S. Looking for prospective labs to my PhD on Regenerative Medicine, stem cells, tissue engineering or other aging related research.

Current position: Bachelor of Medicine Karolinska Institute

Work with clinical trials on patients with age related diseases and working with preventive, and anti aging medicine on patients willing to live longer and healthier lives.

I am happy to find people to discuss and work with in these areas. If you are interested do not hesitate to contact me.

#66 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:58 AM

I don't consider myself as scientist or even a scholar, but congrats to all the longevity scientists! I consider myself more like a student, hopefully student for life.

First name: I go by "shawn" a lot. Real first name: Starts with a different letter, but it also has five letters.
Last name: decline to say right now. It certainly does not start with letter "P", just didn't want you to be confused with screenname/psedonym HYP86
sex: male

Current education: Attempting to complete double majors in biological sciences and Asian studies at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. 4th year student.

Near-term goals: Get my degree and hopefully a meaningful job. Work for maybe 1-2 year period or more. Hopefully I can continue formal education in graduate studies or enter a professional school like any med school. I would like to eventually earn beyond bachelar degree level. My grades are mostly not good, or I would continue my childhood first-career choice as a doctor to heal others. However, I don't know how a career in medicine would jive with LE-related philosophy and lifestyle. I want to help others but fear some life-and-death situations.

Long term goal: advanced degrees. good career for life with the potential to save lives. live a full life.

Current position: student. resident advisor. restaurant worker, other odd jobs.

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: I'm not even sure my future jobs will have anything to do with aging directly. If I enter grad/med school, I will lean toward those areas and help save lives, other people's and mine. Live a nice and good life. If possible, would lean toward gerontology/geriatrics. If not, other things, hopefully eventually be related to some kind of research or clinical setting. I hope to ease some suffering, aging related or not.

#67 Pure Will

• 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Name: "Kyle" will suffice.

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them: Associate of Science, working on Bachelor's of

Science in Philosophy with a minor in Biology at KSU, and I eventually plan to enter medical school (school undecided).

Current interests: General interest in genetics, but not quite educated enough to clarify beyond that.

Near-term goals: Learn, graduate, and continue to learn, graduate again, and still continue to learn.

Current position: Lowly paper pusher in a hospital/student.

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: I expect that as my education advances, my goals and interests will continually refine themselves. I currently have no specific answer to this but I do eventually intend to make some contribution in this endeavor.

#68 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:17 AM

I'm not a scientist, but if I recover from my psychiatric issues I hope to be within a few years. That was my ambition, but I got waylaid from academic progress.

First name: Aaron
Middle name: P
10/25/1985
Male

Some college, was initially pursuing a bachelor's in Cognitive Science at Indiana University. Currently pursuing an Associate's Degree in Paramedic Science.

Current interests: Playing bass, watching terrible "indie" musicians in Bloomington, IN, staying sane
Near-term goals: Obtain effective psychiatric treatment, either via an orthomolecular regimen or other less conventional goals; complete my paramedic program; gradually go back into cognitive science and/or neuroscience and eventually get an M.D. and become a neurologist.
Current position: Paramedic student, volunteer firefighter
What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: ultimately I would like to understand the neurological underpinnings of personality, and to explore the roles of pleasure and incentive salience in defining personality. This is more of a gateway to transhumanist thinking than longevity.
Anything else you care to mention: Like I said earlier, not actually a scientist. But I would like to at least try and keep up with scientific thinking. When I can gather my thoughts I can actually be pretty sharp.

#69 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

I'm not a scientist, but if I recover from my psychiatric issues I hope to be within a few years. That was my ambition, but I got waylaid from academic progress.

First name: Aaron
Middle name: P
10/25/1985
Male

Some college, was initially pursuing a bachelor's in Cognitive Science at Indiana University. Currently pursuing an Associate's Degree in Paramedic Science.

Current interests: Playing bass, watching terrible "indie" musicians in Bloomington, IN, staying sane
Near-term goals: Obtain effective psychiatric treatment, either via an orthomolecular regimen or other less conventional goals; complete my paramedic program; gradually go back into cognitive science and/or neuroscience and eventually get an M.D. and become a neurologist.
Current position: Paramedic student, volunteer firefighter
What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: ultimately I would like to understand the neurological underpinnings of personality, and to explore the roles of pleasure and incentive salience in defining personality. This is more of a gateway to transhumanist thinking than longevity.
Anything else you care to mention: Like I said earlier, not actually a scientist. But I would like to at least try and keep up with scientific thinking. When I can gather my thoughts I can actually be pretty sharp.

Hello fellow Cognitive Science studier with psychiatric issues! I know you said you don't study it anymore. Can I ask why you stopped? Also if you don't mind, could I ask about your psychiatric issues? Mine include being on two different meds (has been more in the past) and being hospitalized for psychiatric reasons twice (so far).

You can just PM me if you'd rather since I might not check this thread again for a while. Come to think of it, I should probably PM you if I expect a response, so I'll do that as well.

#70 Jackemeyer

• 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

"Jack"
David Jackemeyer
Tempe, AZ

born in '78, so over 31 years old.

First, completed BSW in '01, social sciences.
In '03, made major lifestyle and philosophical changes (age 25) -- Fountainhead big slap in the face.
From '04 thru this May '09, completed Calc I-III, diff EQ, Lin Algebra, Physics I&II, Chem I&II, Ochem I&II, Biology, Physiology, and Microbiology, and 2.5 years of Engineering courses -- thus I consider this semester to be my final UNDERGRAD semester, that is, my (un)official graduation date.

-Attended SENS at UCLA in 2008.

-Currently work on LysoSENS, specifically degrading CML (AGE) using soil-as-DNA-source, with John Schloendorn.

--Looking forward to delve into other SENS projects too as soon as I "graduate" in May...

See you all around,
Jack

#71 trajan

• 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

hello,

Quentin
Vanhaelen

age 24
Male

I have a master in theoretical physics from ULB in Belgium

Current interests: I am studying and learning a lot of biology and biochemistry, I am very interested in working in some subjects related to the "immortality problem"
Goals: 1) I need to finish my education in life science,
Curent position: I am a PhD student in theoretical physics (statistical physics and plasma physics) at ULB (will be finish in one year)

Acually, I plan to work in the area of life sciences after my thesis, because I think that People with a strong knowldge in mathematics and modelisation could be very usefull in this area, because now a lot of problem need mathematical modelization and so on. Actually, I think maybe some of you know the IGEM Competition, I think this is a nice opportunity to be involved in some bioingenering work, then One team has been created in ULB, and I am one of the supervisor.

And I am looking for anybody for collaboration and work in the field of bioingenering,...

#72 biochemie

• 94 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

Name : Steve

Education :

B.Sc. Biochemistry
M.Sc. Biochemistry
Ph.D. Candidate in Biochemistry

McGill University

#73 HoosierDaddy?

• 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

Evan Lipton
Male.

Indiana 2009 B.S. Informatics
Indiana 2011 M.S. Informatics - Human-Computer Interaction: Design
stuff............. GIRLS! lol. no idea for current interests... too many things.

current goals: smart financial decisions
Graduate Student, Associate Instructor
I will get my Ph.D; Schools I'd like to go to: Information through UT: Austin, Informatics at UC: Irvine, Robotics at Duke or UC: Berkeley, or Bioinformatics at Indiana, UC: San Fransisco; Santa Cruz. University of Edinburgh for stem cell research maybe?
I hate cancer.

Edited by HoosierDaddy?, 17 June 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#74 HoosierDaddy?

• 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

Bloomington, IN

Create local support group? lol

#75 Leukippos

• 28 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

A.A.E.R.
Rush
Male

Undergraduate.
Interests: Dreaming; Reading; Writing {Poetry, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Science-Writing}; Science {Astrobiology, Astronomy, Chronobiology; Virology, Time [See Below: Favorite Sciences*]}; Music {Composition; Classical, Electric, Acoustic, and Bass Guitars; ‘Keys’}; Goals, Projects, Inventions; Ventilation; Languages, Linguistics; Cognitive Health {Nootropics, Supplements, Programs}, Nutrition {Nootropics, Supplements, Tonics, Kombucha; Cooking and Eating Foodstuffs}; Movement {Hiking, Walking, Fitness, Athletics}, Sleeping; Creative Dialogue; Scientific Pantheism; Trans-Humanism, Humanism; Spiritualism, Naturalism, Agnosticism; Meditation, Astral Projection, Lucid Dreaming; Visual Arts; Animals; Complex Hair, Colorful Eyes [MC1R!]; et al.
Goals: A PhD in Astronomy-Astrobiology and a PhD in Creative Writing within the next ten years; and during the rest of this life: a BM in Music, and a BSc in Economics and philosophy or linguistics.
Current Position: Completing a good collection of projects, reading, dreaming, paying debts, reading, traveling, reading, dreaming, reading, beginning new projects, reading, etc.
How It Applies: Ah, perchance our names will be burned into a metal plaque which will be tossed haphazardly into the depths. We may be immortalized as an ice-sculpture, and perched near the Sun. ~ 8 ^ D

*Not listed here.

#76 Sandman

• 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

Kim
Male

Currently 2nd year of BSc Hons. Nanotechnology (going down Bionanotech stream) at UNSW, Sydney.

Currently interested in just about everything, including not ageing.

Near-term goals: Not growing up.

#77 FrvrInXstnc

• 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

First name: Patrick (PJ)
Last name: Thomas

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them: BS in Biology from Westminster College. 2.7 GPA (explained below)

Current interests: Immortality, Neuroscience Immortality (brains being uploaded into machines), Lysozomes, Mitochondria

Near-term goals: Get a research position anywhere I can at first so I can start devoting my life to immortality.

Current position: Pharmacy Delivery Driver (I hate it)

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields: I think that Reservatrol has a lot of potential. I would love to do work with Mitochondria or the lysozomes because though the telomere problem needs addressed, I believe that being youthful is the bigger question at heart.

Anything else you care to mention: I got s 2.7 GPA in undergrad because A: I didn't know what I wanted to do, and B: Because I changed my major from theater to biology so late in my career, I had to take 4 bio classes a semester at one point, and none of the classes were of interest to me.

#78 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Name: Prefer not to say

Current education: MD in dental medicine (dentistry) in Plovdiv, Bulgaria; specialization in Maxillo-facial surgeon in Sofia, Bulgaria;
Many continuing education courses and certifications, including lasers in medicine and dentistry, ultrasound devices in the surgery and dentistry.

Current interests: Aging (which is presumable).

Current position: Maxillofacial surgeon in "Pirogov" - one of the biggest hospitals in Bulgaria.
  • like x 1

#79 Santos

• Guest, F@H
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

J. Santos T.
Male
Biologist, PhD Neuroscience

Position: Neurophysiology. Berlin, Germany.

Interests: Life extension, delay & stop & revert aging, brain signals, cognitive preservation & improvement, and all related to preserve life.

Hobbys: Science fiction, "science real", philosophy, psychology, physics, night walking...

ps. looking forward to work in life extension and anti-aging projects.

Best regards / saludos.

:imminst:

#80 Danny

• 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Danny Fries
24, M

B.Sc., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

I enjoy travel, business, social dynamics, learning about altruism, reading about self-sufficiency, and nutrition.

Goal: leave my research job in February, start a company and travel indefinitely.

Occupation/s: scientist in a medical oncology lab at HMS, SEO consultant making money on the interwebz, and dating coach teaching old men how to seduce young women.

I've found that I naturally seek to preserve my life when certain criteria are met. My biggest leverage point is positive social bonding between with other people, so I'm on a quest to make that the focus of my life.

#81 DonnaM

• 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Donna McCollough

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them:
Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences from LSU A&M
CPhT at Albertsons Pharmacy

Current interests: Cancer Research and Anti-Aging

Near-term goals: Independent Research and a change in careers. I would also like to expand my knowledge of genetics. If you guys have any recommendations, please list away.

I am currently reading scientific articles involving aging and cancer. I am also familiarizing myself with autoimmune disorders. I would eventually like to do research with a company that is investigating these topics.

I have been following this website off and on for years and I would like to become more involved. Thanks!

#82 KimChee

• 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

I am not a scientist, but I read this board, and thought I'd weigh in...

Brian S
M

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them:
DPT Doctorate of Physical Therapy Findlay University Findlay, OH
BS Biological Sciences WVU Morgantown, WV
AS Science Physical Therapist Assistant Washington State Community College

Current interests: I currently work in an outpatient rehab setting, primarily with post operative patients. I also work on the weekends from time to time in an acute care rehab hospital.

Near-term goals: I am working on my OCS.

I would like to become more involved

#83 amarjeet singh

• 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

amarjeet
singh
m

high school student india
i am intersted in immortility
i am reserching on it from 2 years
in future i just want to reserch on it and one day i will be definatly immortal

#84 qzervi

• 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

Name: J.Gomez

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them: I am finishing the last year of my bachelor of Biochemistry in Madrid
Current interests: I am looking for laboratories and universities to continue my studies (masters, practicals,...)
Near-term goals: Colaborate in a laboratory focus in indefinite life extension.
Current position: Undergraduate

Indefinite life extension is not a topic well known in our society nowadays (not even cuestioned to be a good or bad idea). My aim is to participate in a laboratory providing me the confidence and knowledge to spread the relevance of the anti aging medicine and cryogenic research with arguments based on evidences.

I hope someone can help me find where to continue my career.

Thank you very much to everyone who is supporting indefinite life extension.

Edited by qzervi, 20 September 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#85 mcleodx

• 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:54 AM

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them: First Year Double Bachelor of Advanced Computing/Bachelor of Biotechnology
Current interests: Connecting with Transhumanist Institutions around the world to increase my understanding of the opportunities available and contemporary research in related fields.
Near-term goals: Become actively involved in self-enhancement during my undergrad studies.  Helping other students globally to connect with h+/biohacking/life extension.
Current position: Undergraduate

This is quite clearly the most dynamic period of time in human history, bar none, and there is no question that, as always, mankind will explore any technology that is within our reach.  Genetic Manipulation, Cybernetic Immortality, Super-Intelligence, General Artificial Intelligence are now for the first time realistically within the reach of humanity, during the majority of our lifetimes.  These discoveries won't be turned down as we become able to utilise them, we can't because it's again the force of natural scientific development. As such, being a part of these developments has got to be a priority for anyone that is capable, because any one of these technologies has the power to dramatically change our world forever.

Edited by mcleodx, 25 March 2016 - 07:56 AM.

• Agree x 2

#86 VicenteSilvaNeyra

• 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

First name:   Vicente I. 

Last name:   Silva Neyra

Sex:               Male

Current education and specific name of degrees and where you earned them.     

MSc in Physics (Cardiff University, UK)

BSc in Mechatronics (Mexico)

Click to open LinkedIn profile.

silvaneyra at gmail.com

Current interests.

Artificial Intelligence algorithms to find the genes to create bone marrow with a higher telomerase activity (higher Hayfick limit) , so they can be implanted in old people without immune rejection. Click to open website (under construction).

Near-term goals: Find honest people to collaborate to create a business model to connect potential costumers with cutting-edge technology. Immortalized bone marrow can be implanted in pets, followed by human patients under critical conditions. 

Gaps: Risk management, insurance, business model, decision making in involved to accomplish immortality and rejuvenation sooner and in the most efficient way.

Current position:  Developing algorithms in Python, reading about creation of immortalized bone marrow and challenges of implantation in animals.

What you plan to do to work on aging and other related fields

A hTERT mutant bone marrow could be created from somatic cells of an old person, then implanted inside his/her body to replace senescence cells by younger cells with a higher Hayflick limit, so all the tissue and organs are slowly replaced by "immortal" cells, including the thymus, which is the factor involved on killing the senescence cells. Read more  

• like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users