• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Have i caused myself permanent heart damage?

heart damage heart attack cardiac oxygen breathing shortness of breath chest pain heart palpitations blood

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KryptonStratos

• 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

For the past week I've been experiencing extreme shortness of breath, chest pain, and heart palpitations. And i mean very very extreme. So extreme i debated on weather or not to go to the hospital. Seriously thought i was moments away from a heart attack. Keep in mind I'm only 17.

I honestly had no idea where it was coming from. I have added a few new supplements in to my regime days before this started occurring, but i had zero suspicion of these supplements being the culprit. I looked up all of them, and came up empty handed. Couldn't find anything on these supplements causing these problems. Then i started looking at the "other ingredients" at the bottom of the bottles. Came to find out the cissus i have contains Titanium dioxide. Looked into a few studies done on it and found out it may cause lung inflammation, as well as some cardiac issues.

Discontinued taking the cissus and the next day my symptoms were completely gone. Thing is i have been experiencing these terrible symptoms for over a week. I would get random attacks that lasted about 2 hours everyday of a extreme feeling of pressure on my chest, also i don't really know how to explain this but i had a weird feeling of emptiness within my chest also. A very odd fluttery type feeling. Lasting over 2 hours. Accompanied by extreme shortness of breath and palpitations. Panic attacks and extreme anxiety were also present.

So my question lies, have i caused any permanent damage? I know people who suffer heart attacks have permanent damage due to lack of oxygen to the heart, so is it possible the same may have happened to me? Im currently very troubled over this and any help is appreciated.

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:51 AM

it's highly doubtful that the titanium dioxide would cause problems in such a small amount. Your symptoms could be the result of an anxiety disorder. Its not a bad idea to visit the doctor to rule out possible health problems, though. Do you exercise?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

Healthy young people sometimes die from heart failure. Could be something you were born with or developed, not anything you did to get it. For extreme shortness of breath you absolutely should see a doctor ASAP its an emergency. Maybe it is anxiety, but we can't diagnose you here.

It's not likely to be from supplements

#4 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Go to your doctor and you will find out. It's unlikely, though. We tend to overrate symptoms, e.g. someone with a panic attack thinks he's dying.
Just because symptoms are severe doesn't mean that you are very sick or caused permanent damage with your supplements. It takes a lot to mess up your body. Just think of chain smokers: They don't die one year after starting. It takes decades.
Go to a doctor and get everything checked out. Even if something is wrong with your heart, it's unlikely to be anything 'bad' or 'irreversible'. Could be your thyroid as well (hyper).

#5 doublenickels

• 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Way back when I was 30, I had my first anxiety attack.

It was while I was working out at a barbell club, after warming up and doing a few sets of squats. It was really stunning: I thought I was having heart problems or something. Freaking out and hyperentilating. Like nothing I'd ever experienced. Really added to the sweat I had already produced, just by sitting. I was a wreck for a short while.

After some minutes the attack subsided and I felt better; then I felt normal after resting a bit more.

I left and went home.

BUT, when I got home, after a while the same kind of attack came back. I was scared. I called a friend who quickly came over and drove me to the local hospital ER: it was THAT serious! But on the way there I went back to feeling normal.

The ER checked me out as OK.

Huh?

Not to make little of this, but I later learned a lot about anxiety attacks and how they can be triggered. Had a handful more over a few years after, with less intensity, and then they finally stopped. I don't have them anymore.

A true anxiety attack can make you feel like you're soon going to die. Unless anyone has been there, he/she has absolutely no clue.

Get checked out by your doctor. And know that if it IS anxiety, you can kick it to the curb without much sweat. In my experience.

B.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

It's not the titanium dioxide, that's for sure. It's only dangerous in the nanoparticle form, and they don't use that in supplements. The kind they put in supplements is harmless. My money is on an anxiety attack here, not a heart problem. See your doctor if you have insurance. They'll listen to your chest, probably do an EKG, then tell you you're fine and send you on your way, possibly with a psychotherapy consult.

I really doubt that you have harmed your heart in any way.

#7 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

I would say it's a panic attack. .I've had plenty on and off since my late 20's and 17 years on I'm still here. Still as frightening now as they were as I can often convince myself that it's actually a heart attack etc.
Just gototo try and accept them as they really aren't dangerous even though it can feel like you are about to drop dead.
Try controlled breathing when you start to feel anxious.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 RJ23_1989

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Panic attack.. Sounds exactly like what happened to me at age 18. Go to the doctor, and hear it for yourself it will help you mentally to overcome those episodes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heart, damage, heart attack, cardiac, oxygen, breathing, shortness of breath, chest pain, heart palpitations, blood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users