• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Better Brain Fuel Source: Carbs or Fats? Glucose or Ketones?

brain fuel cognitive enhancement carbs keto ketones fat loss brain neuro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brookmesfin

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hey guys, I wrote an article comparing the effects of a diet that provides the brain with primarily glucose and a diet that provides primarily ketones on cognitive performance. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've posted this on r/nootropics as well.
article : http://www.nootropicmind.com/better-brain-fuel-source-carbs-or-fats-glucose-or-ketones/

Edited by brookmesfin, 17 March 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#2 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

I would advocate personally engaging in a ketogenic diet to assess for your unique personal experiential response. It is simple enough, not at all unhealthy if done correctly, and is worthwhile for many potential benefits if you are willing to engage such a disciplined nutritional undertaking.

For most, there will be an enhanced degree of sense of well-being with generally concommitant enhanced clarity and focus once the transition is made by the brain to adapt to a metabolic preferential state that utilizes ketones predominantly for energy requirements over glucose. This adaptation varies among individuals, but generally is within a period of 1-3 weeks.

There are many sites on the net to engage ketosis rapidly and with greater effectiveness.
CR also has some similar benefits. The body/brain has adapted to stay in a more optimized and heightened state when it sense any degree of restriction/starvation. Generally speaking, a well-fed (especiallu overfed) body is a lazy(lazier) body/brain (RE: sub-optimal) ;)

Just do as necessary to maintain optimal nutrition, especially the essentials such as Omega-3s, multi-vit/mineral, etc. - amongst other benefical supplementation that should foster best results.

Best of Success :)
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 brookmesfin

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

The body/brain has adapted to stay in a more optimized and heightened state when it sense any degree of restriction/starvation. Generally speaking, a well-fed (especiallu overfed) body is a lazy(lazier) body/brain (RE: sub-optimal) ;)

Best of Success :)

That's a very good way of putting it.

I've been studying the science behind why caloric restriction leads to a series of cognitive improvements and I've come to find various mechanisms and gene expressions that affect the brain in ways that motivate it and make it more alert, attentive, focused, etc.

However, these can all go under the umbrella fact that "The body/brain has adapted to stay in a more optimized and heightened state when it sense any degree of restriction/starvation".

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

adapted is the key word here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain fuel, cognitive, enhancement, carbs, keto, ketones, fat loss, brain, neuro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users