• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

The power of Neurofeedback

theta alpha gamma synchrony neurofeedback bipolar training ultralow frequency self-regulation

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#151 thebrainstore

• Guest TheBrainStore Proprietor
  • 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Thanks guys. I am pretty good with signal processing, as I worked in multimedia programming before I got ill.

I am stuck on getting meaningful feedback. Displaying the different bands is no problem, but what constitutes a reward vs inhibit? For example; I have a blue bar for SMR, a red bar for delta and a green bar for score. As delta increases it subtracts from the value of SMR, calculating the overall score. It is linked to the volume of an audio signal so when delta peaks it cuts off the audio, and as SMR increases the volume goes upward. However there is no threshold implemented so it's a very basic protocol.

Anything made in BioExplorer that either of you could send me would be helpful. If there were some professional protocols I could look at and reverse engineer, it would give me a place to start from. I tried replicating the TAGsync design, but I don't quite understand site placement etc and the demo appears to only be for 1 channel. Does this mean the reference is another site on the head, or at the earlobe?

Attached File  EO amplitude.PNG   200.6KB   6 downloads

You can see from the plot of my head that I have some severe issues. SMR is almost non-existent, don't know how I have avoided epilepsy medication, also strong frontal imbalance, delta waves when awake, the list goes on. Any help much appreciated. Work and therefore earning money for professional treatment is out of the question, i just buy and sell on eBay to get by! 

With regard to 32ch OpenBCI, it's not possible. You can get 16 channels by chaining 2 boards together, but the sample rate halves to 125 samples per second when the boards are stacked. This reduces the resolution by 50% making the data less meaningful.

I got a great deal on the setup - a pre-owned board for $350, and BioEra for €249. A friend 3d printed the headset for me, total cost about $800. I see open projects like this as the way forward for self treatment of neurological issues, and it goes without saying that if I manage to establish a set of protocols which runs on an open system like this, that they will be made available for free to anyone who needs them.

It would be possible to run 4x 8ch boards independently to get 32 channels at 250 samples, but they would not be synced making phase coherence protocols impossible.

Edited by spektrolyte, 26 January 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#152 VastEmptiness

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

thank you, that is very interesting information. i was wondering if you could sync several devices with the software or if there always would be lag (like chaining q-wizes for example). what you write suggest a no for an answer. i wonder if there is a workaround. its relevant because we are looking to train many-channel tagsync and also hyper-brain tagsync on a possible meetup. hyperbrain setups 2x tagx2 btw work well with just one q-wiz, opaque and i both trained with it. it makes sense to train rightbrain/rightbrain in a hyper-brain setup because you only have one reference left.

as for the 16 channels on the open bci that is total channels or do you have additional grounds or referenceso or do you have to subtract them from the 16 total? if there is a seperate ground (guess would be easy to build too), you could still train 14 channel synchrony/tagsync and/or 6 channel hyper-brain with 2 practitioners or even rightbrain tagx2 with 5 people :D

did you buy the openbci off ebay or another source?
did you consider using brainbay (free)? seems like youre into the open source idea.

for protocols, send me your skype adress via pm and a dropbox invite to put the protocols on.

Edited by VastEmptiness, 26 January 2016 - 11:19 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#153 thebrainstore

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

In sourcing the OpenBCI I was lucky enough to find a seller on a forum, right place and right time I guess. Have never seen one on eBay myself.

Edited by spektrolyte, 26 January 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#154 thebrainstore

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

I have built 5 or 6 protocols with Brainbay, but there are fundamental things it just cannot do - adjustable threshold in the display screen for instance. It also picks up a huge amount of noise in the first few seconds starting a protocol, and this totally screws up session averages.

You will have 16 channels at 125 samples on OpenBCI, plus bias & reference. it will require special code written to split the reference between two users and that code will need to be uploaded to the device. It's possible with BioEra that initialisation codes can be sent to configure the inputs, but I have not tried this yet.

Possibly the most effective option for what you are seeking is the chinese made Contec KT88-1016. 16 channels of EEG for $1000, and it has a BioEra driver. 

Edited by spektrolyte, 26 January 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#155 thebrainstore

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

For those that haven't seen the other thread I am importing Pocket Neurobics systems into the European Union to cover the lack of a supplier this side of the Atlantic. It really has been amazing for me to do neurofeedback and want to make the equipment more accessible so that others can do the same. Here are the prices:

U-Wiz (2ch) amp + Bioexplorer + 5 Ag/CL 150cm electrodes & tube EEG paste £925 inc EU delivery (2 still available)

Q-Wiz (4ch) amp + Bioexplorer + 7 Ag/Cl 150cm electrodes & tube EEG paste £1195 inc EU delivery (1 still available)

Q-Wiz (4ch) amp + BioExplorer + nIR HEG sensor + 7 Ag/Cl 150cm electrodes & tube EEG paste £1575 inc EU delivery (1 still available)

Payment will be taken through a real e-commerce site, you are not just sending money to a random guy on the internet. Stock will be here in about 3 weeks.

Edited by spektrolyte, 10 February 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#156 islidur1

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

hey i just bought a neurofeedback device eeg package from brain-trainer.com and will start using it at the end of next week. Got a few questions for you, how safe is neurofeedback? I dont want to cause lasting brain damage to my brain from it. How easy was it to pick up? I get 4 hours of consultation with brain trainer doctors and im looking forward to picking it up reasonably quickly. I saw major improvements from using HEG training, that device is fantastic and easy to use. Im worreid brain trainer will be too complex.

#157 Autumn Knight

• 99 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

Has anyone gotten the TAGsync system OpaqueMind talks about? I want to buy it, and I'm ready. It's just really confusing and I would like some help. 

#158 theCLK

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:39 AM

I'm currently working with an amazing Neurofeedback trainer named Thom. You can find him @ https://thebrainstore.eu/ - Highly recommend. He's been very helpful and patient with me.

• like x 1

#159 BarrelBoy

• 43 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:19 AM

Has anyone gotten the TAGsync system OpaqueMind talks about? I want to buy it, and I'm ready. It's just really confusing and I would like some help. 

The TAGSync thread here should get you started. Everything you need is sold in a package on http://mindsupplies.com/

• Good Point x 1

#160 Bogumił Hrabal

• 27 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

Some general questions. Some of you use neurofeedback to enhance meditative states, some - for the purpose of increasing intelligence. But I heard claims that the latter can acheive their goal by means of TAG. How? TAG trains coherence between bands. Correct me if I'm wrong: studies show that intelligence and/or working memory correlate with phase-amplitude coupling (PAC) between delta/theta and gamma waves. Brains of intelligent people work efficiently: if there's no task, their brains rest (increased delta or theta phase); if there's a task, they increase gamma while decreasing slow waves phase. The point is that coupling is different notion from coherence (approaching in-phase state; ideal coherence means being in phase). Coupling, as I understand it, is kind of negative correlation between slow and gamma waves, i.e. stimulus or task should increase gamma amplitude and decrease phase of slow waves (or only amplitude?). So how TAG can affect intelligence? What do you reward when you train e.g. theta-gamma coherence? Isn't it the occurence of appoaching in-phase state of theta and gamma respectively between two points AND not the PAC?

#161 Iver Heen Ask

• 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

I have this system, want to sell it since I have not used it in a long time. I have the Q-wiz.
If you are interested please let me know. I also have the Biomedical HRV system, which you can use at the same time.
Not sure how much I paid for it all, but think it was from 1500-2000usd.
Those who are interested send email to iver.heen.askAThotmail.com

sponsored ad

• Advert

#162 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

I'm looking at some different technologies for enhancing and entering flowstate.

Tagsync sounds promising. Do you have to purchase one of these +$1000 rigs to do Tagsync? Can the same effect be achieved with some of the more affordable TDCS devices out there?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: theta, alpha, gamma, synchrony, neurofeedback, bipolar, training, ultralow, frequency, self-regulation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users