60 replies to this topic

#61 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:40 PM

Postgraduate Christians, all(?)

QUOTE (joydfox)
joydfox
Group: Director

A fine sentiment that you are entitled to, though as a former Christian, I can say with quite some confidence that Christianity and science are not diametrically opposed, but are more or less orthogonal, and they can peacefully co-exist even under moderate to heavy rational scrutiny.

In my case, at the deepest levels of scrutiny over the course of nearly a year, my beliefs were eventually shattered, but I'm young and weak-minded, so perhaps a stronger mind could reconcile where I could not? The point is, I pity those who without having deep insights into both science and religion, would make statements like yours, that people who believe in Christianity and try to reconcile it to science "are to be pitied". I'd expect a comment like that to be directed at the millions of sheep who voted for Bush for "moral" reasons, but not to be directed at someone like Prometheus. He strikes me as the type who has a strong mind, and if he can reconcile religion to science, it is you that ought to be pitied.

I more I read of the heavyweights in this forum the more I am flattered that they are just like me, a postgraduate Catholic -- that's what I call myself.

So far all the worthies here whose posts I have read have turned out to be, I certainly am justified to call them: postgraduate Christians.

But some are rather insecure, at least one or two, who feel that they have to sport at every opportunity they come across their loud and jarring foghorn of being anti-Christian, anti-theistic, and anti-religion, holding up their "meme" flag high every time they indulge in their insecurity.

--------------

Kevin has admitted as much, that leadership here have their peccadilloes, and that we have to bear with one another if for no other reason than just to get along here, in this otherwise livable and enjoyable -- that's my purpose here -- enjoyment, forum.

Anyway, I would just let Chip go on and on, because the man to my impression which I maintain is very valid, has always something insightful and instructive to impart, at least to me, if not to the heavyweights here.

Chip: Look up the profile of Prometheus, I think he has already left the ring, which I think is a kind of Qui tacet consentire videtur.

Last Ten Posts of Prometheus:

Jul 20, 2005 I may face death in the near future (not imminent)
Jul 20, 2005 Why are you interested in Immortality?
Jul 20, 2005 Do you feel it?
Jul 20, 2005 Censorship in moderation.
Jul 19, 2005 Hello
Jul 19, 2005 Why are you interested in Immortality?
Jul 15, 2005 What to do with physical immortality.
Jul 15, 2005 Randomness Rules!
Jul 15, 2005 Paradox
Jul 14, 2005 Euthanasia? What choice for yourself?

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=Profile&CODE=03&MID=1279

Now, Chip is a good in-house critic of this ImmInst Forum. What did he call himself? Giordano Bruno? More like Girolamo Savonarola. Hope the guys in the topmost echelon of Leadership don't tie him to the stake and set him aflame.

Chip, what do you say for humor respite, are we not two making a society of mutual back-patting reciprocating admirers?

Hahahaha and hehehehe.

Susma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users