Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1 APBT

• 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

There are several anecdotal reports strewn throughout various threads regarding NR. For the purpose of convenience and consolidation, I thought it would be useful if we try to post reports about experience with NR in a central location - here. ALL ON-TOPIC CONTRIBUTIONS WELCOME.

Data points that would be valuable, but not limited to:

• Dosage
  • NR brand
  • Method of administration:  ingested, sublingual, inhaled, IV, other
  • Dosage frequency (number of times per day)
  • How did you arrive at the dosage you're using
  • Consumed with or without food
  • When did NR consumption commence - how long have you been taking it
  • Are you considering the circadian clock in your decision of when to dose
  • Are you taking any other NAD+ precursors
  • Are you taking any CD38 inhibitors
  • Are you taking any other "mitochondrial enhancers"
  • Athletic/exercise experience: seasoned athlete, intermediate, beginner
  • Types of exercise involved
  • Health metrics: blood tests (NR's impact on lipids would be interesting), body weight, blood pressure, body composition
  • Measurable cognitive changes
  • Measurable changes in fitness
  • General, overall analysis of NR

I think a great candidate for analysis would be over 50 (the older the better), with a long history of physical fitness, currently in good general health and fitness, whose diet and supplementation are stable.

My logic is that this person would not have "chronologically young" mitochondria, they'd have a strong fitness base (therefore no instant improvement one would expect in a new trainee) and not add confounding factors such as several new supplements or diet tweaks at the time of introducing NR. Additionally, if they had a record of PRs from 20 - 30 years ago, it would be interesting to see if those could be eclipsed using NR.

Therefore, if NR works similarly to the Sinclair et al. study in Cell, we should be able to see noticeable improvements in measurable fitness. Turning back the clock.

This is the thread that was the impetus for the interest in NR:  http://www.longecity...-strikes-again/

Edited by APBT, 12 June 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• like x 8
  • dislike x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 MarcD

• 51 posts
  • 4 â‚®

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

• Dosage 250mg for the first few weeks, 375mg for other several days, 500mg before yesterday, 1g yesterday (if I remember correctly), 1.25g today, and I'll go up every day until I notice further changes
  • twice a day (splitting dosage)
  • still trying out the dosage
  • Consumed with coffee :-)
  • taking it now for a month
  • Not considering the circadian clock ...
  • Other NAD+ precursors: none
  • CD38 inhibitors: none
  • Other "mitochondrial enhancers": C60inOO
  • Exercising almost every day
  • Body Combat, CXWorx, SpeedSkating, Kickboxing, Qi Gong
  • Health metrics: blood tests twice a year (I did one before and after C60, no difference, everything fine), body weight: 100kg, 16% Bodyfat, blood pressure (*)
  • Measurable cognitive changes (better sleep)
  • Measurable changes in fitness (none)
  • diarrhea since one week (lab work in progress)
blood pressure
I was taking 160mg Diovan (Valsartan) because my blood pressure was high. My average blood pressure taking Diovan daily was 143/76
nothing changed when I added 250/375mg NR to my diet. But before yesterday my blood pressure dropped a lot at 500mg. Yesterday I took again the 160mg Diovan together with 1g Niagen.
Today morning I measured 131/66 without taking Diovan (Diovan has a short half-life, so it's almost out of my system) - so I didn't take it. I'll monitor my blood pressure the whole weekend (without taking Diovan) and get you updated.
  • like x 4
  • dislike x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#3 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts
  • 306 â‚®

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

I don't know how " noticeable " a minor NAD boost would be for someone in relatively good condition, even if over 50. ( I'm 57 ). NAD decline seems to be age related ( Dr Guarente ) and probably more pronounced in those in poorer metabolic health. From everything I've read, it's going to have its greatest effect when combined with Sirt1 activators. Many of us take so many things to boost mitochondrial health that it's impossible to isolate the effect of any one substance. The science on this is still new and incomplete,
That being said.
I take 375 mg NR per day currently. 250 mg in the AM , 1/2 hour before food. I take two.of LEF's mito energy optimizer's ( anti glycation ) simultaneously. It contains PQQ.
I take another 125 mg late morning on an empty stomach
I take 100 mg of LEF's resveratrol with breakfast , and another 100 mg with lunch. I take 200 mg of ubiquinol with breakfast.
As I have mentioned before, I take C60oo bi monthly, approx 20 mg
I haven't noticed anything other than slight flushing and perhaps a little more energy . I am getting a cardiovascular blood test panel next week.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 BobSeitz

• 81 posts
  • 109 â‚®

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

I'll be 85 in July.

Starting about 6 weeks ago, I began taking 250 mg.of Niagen a day. Beginning, maybe, 2 weeks ago, I upped my dose to 500 mg. a day. Now that my 12-bottle shipment of Niagen has been confirmed (thanks, PWAIN), I have begun today elevating my dose further, taking 500 mg. when I first arose. With it, I took a Longevinex resveratrol capsule, a 50 mg. apigenin capsule, 200 mg. of LEF SAMe, 125 mg. of TMG, an LEF Asian Energy Boost (333 mg. of Cordyceps mushroom extracts, and 55 mg. of fermented Asian ginseng extract), and a 5 mg. MitoQ capsule. Then I went off to the Wellness Center and ran 2 miles at 7¾ METs. After that, I ran 4 high-intensity 60-second sprints at 9½ METs. The Wellness Center has a "ChinAssist" setup that let's you set the amount of lift you need to chin yourself. At 10 pounds of lift, I can chin myself several times nonstop. At 5 pounds of lift, I can just barely pull myself up, so there's a fairly sensitive threshold. (I began upper-body exercises about two months ago after 25 years of upper-body inactivity.) It will be interesting to see if Niagen can boost my capability to lift my own weight since this is (1) easily measured, and (2) sensitive to small differences.

After I got home from the Wellness Center, I took 2 more LEF Mitochondrial Energy Optimizers (with another 5 mg. of PQQ. Along with that, I took an LEF CoQ-10 capsule with 10 mg. of PQQ. Then I ate my brunch of walnuts, pistachios, almonds, and cranberries, and a cup of V8 juice. This was followed by a cup of matcha green tea, with a heaping teaspoonful of Navitas high-polyphenol, "raw" cocao, along with lime juice and Stevia. A couple of hours later, I took a second 500 mg. dose of Niagen with a 200 mg. SAMe, 2 more LEF Mitochondrial Energy Optimizers (with another 5 mg. of PQQ), another Asian Energy Boost capsule, and a LEF calorie restriction mimetic (resveratrol, etc.)

My last basic blood chemistry panel was obtained in December. I'm preparing for a follow-up, but I'll wait a week or two to see what effects these Niagen experiments might have. The only anomaly in my December bloodwork was that my HDL level had risen from the 70's and 80's to 94. My total cholesterol reading was 193, with an LDL value of 88, a VLDL nuber of 11, and a triglyceride count of 55. My fasting glucose was 83.

My game plan is to increase my Niagen intake every couple of days If I don't experience any unwanted side effects, I'll target a steady-state dose of 3 grams a day roughly a week from now. (I weigh about 60 kilograms.) In the meantime, we'll see what effects, if any, show up.
  • like x 9
  • Good Point x 3
  • Informative x 1

#5 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts
  • 306 â‚®

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

Go Bob !
I would add more resveratrol for the Sirt1 enhancement, it's synergistic with Niagen. Re: blood chemistry, check your CRP, inflammation is an important marker at your age, the LEF mitochondrials fight glycation, and with your fasting glucose being low that shouldn't be a major issue.
Have you considered testosterone/ DHEA replacement?
Remember that MitoQ isn't a replacement for ubiquinone.
Keep us updated ,!
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#6 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:26 AM

After clearing the idea with niner, I've taken it upon myself to try to retrieve and re-post as many reports of NR use that I can find, which are floating around on myriad threads, and consolidate them here for the sake convenience. Please feel free to update your experience too. I've linked the original post and posted it here as a quote.

Edited by APBT, 06 April 2014 - 02:27 AM.

• like x 5

#7 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:34 AM

ORIGINAL POST: http://www.longecity..._60#entry653322

1) I have only used the Niagen product purchased from the same supplier on Amazon

2) I'm on my 6th week. Week #1 was only at .75 grams per day. Week #2 was at 1.5-2 grams per day. Week #3 was back to .75 due to my stock running low. Week #4 was at 4 grams per day. Week #5 was at 4 grams per day and week #6 4 grams per day.

3) After the first week of supplementation, without any changes in diet, exercise or other sups, I lost 2 pounds. I've had a lot of trouble losing weight, dieting and exercised for weeks without losing more than a pound. With Niagen I was losing weight, so I went on a diet. From the start of supplementing Niagen to last Sunday, I've lost 13 pounds.

4) I'm taking 1 gram of Niagen 4 times a day. I fast until my evening meal and my last dose of the day is at 5pm, which is 1 1/2 hours before I eat my only meal of the day.

5) Based on my last weigh in on Sunday I weighed 186 pounds. I started Niagen at 199.4.

6) No consistency before Niagen of exercise. I was easily winded. After starting Niagen, I'm now hitting the treadmill every evening and it's getting harder and harder to hit my max heart rate. I'm no longer winded.

7) I've had prostatitis for the last 15 years. It's been getting progressively worse. When I hit 2 grams per day of Niagen, my prostatitis was significantly better. I've been keeping a journal since beginning Niagen, and I keep track of how many times I urinate and what time of day. When I hit 4 grams a day of Niagen I have no urgency no tenderness, no symptoms. My trips to the bathroom has decreased significantly. No urgency at all. My prostate feels like it did when I was in my 40's.

Just for the positive effect Niagen has had on my prostate, I don't want to be without it. The weight loss and the ability to exercise has improved my quality of life. When I was much younger I pumped out body heat like a mini furnace. As I've gotten older (I'll be 60 in September) my mini furnace was no longer working. With Niagen, I feel the mini furnace again. Maybe not a strong as it was, but it's something I haven't experienced at all for the last 20 years.

ORIGINAL POST: http://www.longecity..._60#entry653328

I've been taking supplements for twenty-five years. There are only a few sups I won't go without. I've been taking Cranberry for all of that time. My prostate would get inflamed from the prostatitis and I would get a bladder infection. Unlike all the urologist I've been treated by, Cranberry was very effective at stopping that process. I travel for work every week, many times I'll cross multiple timezones. I had a great deal of problems sleeping in a strange hotel in a different timezone. I've been taking Melatonin for almost as long as the cranberry. After being tested with very low D-3 levels, 5 years ago, I started taking D-3. It took me a year of experimenting to get my seasonal dose correct to hit an optimal level. I've tried many of the flavor of the week sups. If they didn't help I stopped taking them. Niagen or NR looks to be one of the keepers.

I should add that I'm also taking both SAM-e and TMG to make sure I have the methyl donors so I avoid a Niacin crash.

When I roll off my current engagement, I'll get a full blood test.

Edited by APBT, 06 April 2014 - 02:34 AM.

• like x 2

#8 BobSeitz

• 81 posts
  • 109 â‚®

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

Thanks, Kevinzworld. I've followed your advice today and have doubled my intake of resveratrol. I need to get my CRP level checked I've been waiting for the LEF annual sale on blood tests. I've considered testosterone and DHEA replacement, but even the Life Extension Foundation warns against taking DHEA if you might have prostate cancer. The problem is that most men die with prostate cancer rather then of it. How do you know whether or not you have occult prostate cancer? I've been afraid to take the risk. I've hoped that the intensive exercise program on which I've embarked my raise my hormone levels naturally. (I don't know whether it makes a difference whether your hormone levels are elevated endogenously or exogenously.) I'm taking 100 mg. of LEF ubiquinol along with my MitoQ.

Yesterday and today, I've taken a gram of Niagen. Tomorrow (Sunday), I'll up the dose to 1.5 grams providing I have no trouble sleeping tonight.

Today, I revisited the Wellness Center's gym. For the last couple of minutes of my two 1-mile runs, I got my level of exertion up to 8-METs, with a final pulse rate of 130. I also tried the "Chin-Lift" and established that with my shoes off and my pockets emptied, I can only just chin myself with a 5-pound boost. (However, this is the third day in a row I've worked out, and a few of my muscles are a little bit stiff and sore.) I'll take a breather tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what happens on Monday.

Of course, Niagen is supposed to improve mitochondrial performance to a more youthful level. When I was college age and weighed 10 pounds less than I do now, I couldn't chin myself all that easily or all that many times in a row at the time. This morning, if I set the "Chin'Lift" at 10 pounds, I can chin myself repeatedly with ease. Niagen is supposed to improve mitochondrial function, but maybe I shouldn't expect it to improve my physical performance beyond what it was when I was 22. But I'll keep trying and I'll keep reporting.

At the Wellness Center, there's a man who's the best performer I've seen on the treadmill. Today, we struck up a conversation and I learned that he's a family practitioner who takes care of one of my children and my grandchildren. He concurred that exercise will add years to your life. I don't know his exact age, but he has to be quite a bit older than he looks.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#9 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

ORIGINAL POST: http://www.longecity...amide-riboside/

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:56 AM
After reading the most recent finding by David Sinclair (not a big fan of his) on nicotinamide mononucleotide I found studies that showed that nicotinamide ribsoside was converted into the former within the body and placed an ordered for some riboside.

On day 1 I took 125 mg and had a general feeling of well being but, I didn't think much of it. Of the 100+ supplements I have taken I have never had much of an effect from any of them. On day 2 I took 250 mg and that's when it happened. I felt like a god. I can only describe it as feeling younger, much younger. It wasn't a high or euphoric feeling, I just began to feel somehow cleaner, more energized, with greater focus, motivation and liveliness. On day 3 I took the same dose and continued to feel better than I remember feeling in years. Again, it didn't stimulate me like a nootropic or caffeine. It made me feel like I was 120% of the person I was before I began. It's a very strange feeling.

Then day 4 rolled around. I took the same dose, but hours later I crashed like a lead ballon. It felt like someone took a baseball bat to every muscle in my body. I was lightheaded, dizzy and extremely tired. I was completely incapacitated. The manufacturer had told me that light headedness and fatigue were the first signs of "reaching your limit". I went to bed early and by the next day I felt okay again. I stopped the supplements for a few days and then began again and stayed at a 125 mg. Eventually I had the same effects of coming up for a few days and then a had crash although much less than my previous one. I am going to try 125mg EOD now and see what happens.

It is clear to me that this supplement is the real deal. Somewhere on this site someone posted a few reviews from another site that showed similar results to mine. There was another user here who posted he had been on this supplement for months with zero noticeable results so it is either dose dependent or only affects some. The manufacturer recommends on the bottle to stop taking it after a month for several days which is a very odd statement for a supplement manufacturer and suggests that people are reporting my effects. Whether in the end this supplement is doing more harm than good (given the sides I have had) or in the end does anything at all to influence lifespan I of course can't say, but I am fairly convinced we are going to be hearing more interesting things about nicotinamide riboside and monoucleotide in the near future as Sinclair and company continue work on their studies.

• like x 1

#10 MarcD

• 51 posts
  • 4 â‚®

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

blood pressure
I was taking 160mg Diovan (Valsartan) because my blood pressure was high. My average blood pressure taking Diovan daily was 143/76
nothing changed when I added 250/375mg NR to my diet. But before yesterday my blood pressure dropped a lot at 500mg. Yesterday I took again the 160mg Diovan together with 1g Niagen.
Today morning I measured 131/66 without taking Diovan (Diovan has a short half-life, so it's almost out of my system) - so I didn't take it. I'll monitor my blood pressure the whole weekend (without taking Diovan) and get you updated.

127/68 today @ 1000mg NR (no Diovan)
I was taking 80mg Diovan for several month, then 160mg for almost a year, I changed by diet, tried arginine, citrulline, D3 and a lot of other supps, but my blood pressure never dropped below 140.
  • like x 1

#11 to age or not to age

• 151 posts
  • 93 â‚®

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

My hat is off to you first wave volunteers -
I will post an on camera confirmation of the
NAD precursor you are consuming with regard
to the experiments and paper cited.
I have been thinking about following 'several'
people and their personal experiences in this
realm, going forward. This would require on camera interviews
etc. Anyone interested can respond as is customary.
As Lenny Guarente said: 'this is emerging..."
I just joined and don't know the protocols of longecity.
I'm thinking of "28Up" type thing. As scientists have told me;
20 years ago, there were 4 or 5 labs looking into the biology of
aging, now there are 400+
  • like x 3

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts
  • 2,000 â‚®

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

As scientists have told me;
20 years ago, there were 4 or 5 labs looking into the biology of
aging, now there are 400+

I just have to say that this is awesome. I'd never heard the numbers- this is impressive. It gives me reason to hope that the progress we're seeing now is the tip of the iceberg.
  • like x 1

#13 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL POST: http://www.longecity...de/#entry651645

Any update on your protocol?  I've taken it the last 2 days and currently have a pretty positive response.  I've done 250mg upon wake.
I worry about long-term implications and crash, but this is a pretty amazing supplement.

ORIGINAL POST:  http://www.longecity...de/#entry651654

I have a condition which makes a SIRT1 deficit more likely.  I won't go into specifics for privacy purposes.  However, there is ample reason to believe this will have a larger impact on me than the average person.

I'm generally a conservative/cautious person, so "positive" response was careful wording on my part.  The reality is that this supplement to me has been remarkable.  I would note the effects as following:

- Increased clarity and focus.  I often get easily distracted and this has been less an issue.  I can grind through papers without losing my train of thought.  Less OCD/ADHD in general.
- Substantially increased endurance.  Willpower and ability to soldier on through material or exercise is improved.  I have not been exercising at all lately so I can't benchmark X miles and time vs. prior results.  I simply feel more energized.
- My glucose before my evening meal is 84 mg/dl (checked twice)  That's the lowest I've ever recorded in the last 2 years (with intermittent checking).  I've always had a problem with slightly elevated glucose (for years) -- the low end was always around 90 mg/dl.  A couple times I've seen it down at 87, but this 84 is pretty interesting to me.  That's really low.
- Tightening in the face/vascular system.  I wouldn't call it a flushing effect (like nicotinic acid, which I've tried) so much like a focused energetic feeling without any emotional/adrenaline perturbation that might otherwise cloud my homeostasis.

I do have a slight worry that this is going to crash on me.  It does feel like a bit of a drug high.  The couple times I tried modafinil, I didn't really like it because it felt like it had such a pressuring effect on my vascular system/heart.  This is how I originally imagined modafinil was supposed to be (but wasn't) -- a clean, energetic and focused elevation.

• like x 1

#14 BobSeitz

• 81 posts
  • 109 â‚®

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Time for an update.

So far today (Tuesday, 4/8/2014), I've taken 15 125-mg. Niagen capsules--a total dose of 1.875 grams. I plan to add 5 more at bedtime to bring my cumulative dose to 2.5 gms. for the day. (I didn't up my dose Sunday and Monday, so today marks the beginning of my multi-gram dosing.) Given that I weigh 60 kgs., my target dosage is 3 gms. per day. 

Yesterday (Monday) and today (Tuesday), I ran 2 miles at the Wellness Center... 2 miles at a 7¾-METS level of exertion and then 4 high-intensity, 60-second sprints at a 9½-METs level of effort. My maximum pulse rate was about 130.

I also chinned myself three times in a row with a 5-pound (2¼-kg.) boost. Now we'll see what (if anything) happens as my dose of Niagen increases.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to these numbers as I continue to exercise. Will they improve? At my age?

• like x 3

#15 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:56 AM

ORIGINAL POST:  http://www.longecity...-12#entry653460  

PWAIN, on 01 Apr 2014 - 5:12 PM, said:
  I received a bottle of Niagen yesterday and took a couple of caps. Didn't really notice anything, maybe slightly nauseous and a bit unpleasant generally but that might have been something unrelated.
  I decided that it may be a good idea to try sublingual to get as much out of a limited supply as possible. I opened a cap and poured the contents under my tongue. After a while, it dissolved. I started to notice that my mouth/jaw was aching, kinda like I had a major head cold. It was quite intense and certainly something I would like to avoid.
  This aching persisted but I decided that I wanted to try some more of the MitoQ I recently acquired so I popped some of that under my tongue. In a couple of minutes, I found that teh aching subsided and eventually disappeared. I didn't link the two at first.
  Later I decided to take 3 more Niagen caps sublingually. I tipped all 3 under my tongue and aching came back very strongly. It was very unpleasant. Once it finally dissolved, I decided to take more of the MitoQ because I was now suspecting that this may have helped the first time. It helped again and was a big relief because I don't think I could continue to take Niagen sublingually without this relief.
  I am not sure why Niagen causes such pain and discomfort. Perhaps the molecule is very big or maybe it reacts with the nerves or something like that. I also don�t understand why the MitoQ reverses this, could it be the stuff it is buffered with?
  I would be very interested to find out more, what are others experiences?

#16 Ehvam

• 41 posts
  • 2 â‚®

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

A very initial impression:

I received my bottles Saturday and waited until monday to take it to "wash out" all m other supps. I like to do this when I try something new so I can get a feel for what it does on its own.

Anyway I took one pill my mouth and decided to try one pill sublingual. Never noticed any pain at all, but it was just one cap as opposed to the two reported above.

So here is what I've noticed in two, very short days, so take it FWIW. I definitely think NR has a very real effect on mood. I've been in a bit of a bad mood for a while, and for many reasons should definitely have been these past two days, yet I feel very good. Its not a high feeling, just a natural feeling of well being. But it is definitely there. 

Its still too early to tell but I definitely think this is somehow linked to weight loss. I;ve been trying to get my weight below 180 for two months now. Even with an eye on my diet it's been impossible. I hover between 185 and 182, never seeming to get any lower than that. Today I weighed myself and I was 179.. which was a complete surprise because I've been so busy I've been eating worse than usual. we'll see if that result holds up. It does seem lie a bit of a coincidence that I would break 180 now after months of trying.

So far my dosage has been 250 mg, in the morning on an empty stomach. will attempt to raise that and see if more is better, although I am looking at this supp as more of a long term anti-aging strategy than anything else. If only due to the cost. 

My next step is to start adding back some of my supps.. the more benign ones like coq10, the sam-e, magnesium and the fish oil. I've been taking these long enough to know how they effect me, which is to say, I don't really feel much from them, but take them as a precautionary measure. after another week I plan to add in my other supps I've been taking recently.. carnosine/alcar/ala/pqq

for the record I am 44, 180 lbs, work out 3x a week, a bit too much fat in the abdominal area which never goes away.. A history of slight depression/anxiety, but manageable. 

• like x 1

#17 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

I need to get my CRP level checked I've been waiting for the LEF annual sale on blood tests.

The LEF blood test sale is now in full swing  http://www.lef.org/blood/index.htm

#18 BobSeitz

• 81 posts
  • 109 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

It's time for my daily (Wednesday) update.

This morning, I completed 24 hours of Niagen intake totaling 2½ grams of Niagen. Then I headed for the Wellness Center for my morning exercise. Of course, I was hoping that something dramatic would happen at the Wellness Center, but it didn't. I was able to chin myself three times in a row with a 5-pound boost, and 12 times in a row with a 10-pound boost. I ran my quotidian two miles at 7¾-METs, followed by my usual four 60-second, 9½-METs bursts for a total of 2½ miles (down from 3 miles yesterday).

So far today, I've taken 15 125-mg. Niagen capsules, together with such supposedly supportive supplements as apigenin, SAMe, LEF's Calorie Restriction Mimetic (resveratrol), and Asian Energy Boost. (This is in addition to my customary stable of supplements which includes LEF's Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ, LEF's CoQ-10 with BioPQQ, Rhodiola Extract, 4 TA-65 capsules, 2 MitoQ capsules, etc.)

• like x 2

#19 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • 161 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

Hi Bob,

I've been reading your posts with great interest. How much of the supportive supplements do you take?

Also, have you always felt as well as you do now, or is it the result of your supplements regimen ( I think on another thread I read that you don't really experience a lot of aches and pains; I've had aches and pains as long as I can remember and they only get worse each passing year so I'm really interested in this). How's your recovery when you up your exercise?

#20 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts
  • 306 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

This morning, I completed 24 hours of Niagen intake totaling 2½ grams of Niagen. Then I headed for the Wellness Center for my morning exercise. Of course, I was hoping that something dramatic would happen at the Wellness Center, but it didn't. I was able to chin myself three times in a row with a 5-pound boost, and 12 times in a row with a 10-pound boost. I ran my quotidian two miles at 7¾-METs, followed by my usual four 60-second, 9½-METs bursts for a total of 2½ miles (down from 3 miles yesterday).

So far today, I've taken 15 125-mg. Niagen capsules, together with such supposedly supportive supplements as apigenin, SAMe, LEF's Calorie Restriction Mimetic (resveratrol), and Asian Energy Boost. (This is in addition to my customary stable of supplements which includes LEF's Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ, LEF's CoQ-10 with BioPQQ, Rhodiola Extract, 4 TA-65 capsules, 2 MitoQ capsules, etc.)

Your experience is interesting. It's still unknown just how much NR is needed to boost NAD
, As is how much resveratrol is required to move the Sirt1 needle, given its poor bioavailability .
You are our older human lab animal, I would consider bio identical hormone therapy, but I don't know your lab work etc, but given your age, (mid 80's ) that would be a great concern only if I had any positive PSA , biopsy or digital test .
It's hard for me to believe that these substances in their own would make a huge difference .

#21 Droplet33

• 34 posts
  • 13 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Your experience is interesting. It's still unknown just how much NR is needed to boost NAD
, As is how much resveratrol is required to move the Sirt1 needle, given its poor bioavailability .
You are our older human lab animal, I would consider bio identical hormone therapy, but I don't know your lab work etc, but given your age, (mid 80's ) that would be a great concern only if I had any positive PSA , biopsy or digital test .
It's hard for me to believe that these substances in their own would make a huge difference .

Another very potent know antioxidant is glutathione,

Glutathione has multiple functions:

• It is the major endogenous antioxidant produced by the cells, participating directly in the neutralization of free radicals and reactive oxygen compounds, as well as maintaining exogenous antioxidants such as vitamins C and E in their reduced (active) forms.[17]
  • Regulation of the nitric oxide cycle, which is critical for life but can be problematic if unregulated[18]
  • It is used in metabolic and biochemical reactions such as DNA synthesis and repair, protein synthesis, prostaglandin synthesis, amino acid transport, and enzyme activation. Thus, every system in the body can be affected by the state of the glutathione system, especially the immune system, the nervous system, the gastrointestinal system and the lungs.[citation needed]
  • It has a vital function in iron metabolism. Yeast cells depleted of or containing toxic levels of GSH show an intense iron starvation-like response and impairment of the activity of extra-mitochondrial ISC enzymes, followed by death.[19]

Function in animals

GSH is known as a substrate in both conjugation reactions and reduction reactions, catalyzed by glutathione S-transferase enzymes in cytosol, microsomes, and mitochondria. However, it is also capable of participating in non-enzymatic conjugation with some chemicals.

Source : https://en.wikipedia...iki/Glutathione

This source is promoted by Arthur de Vany, a well know guy in the Paleo community, this guy is a slightly fitter version of Christopher Reeve at this prime, but he's 73 years old, weight 203 pounds of almost pure muscle and still drag his car out of the drive way :D. 

http://glutathionescience.com/

I had to stop taking it because its a big expensive for me for my income this winter, but when i take it, i'm almost never sick as long i keep my sleep in check.

I wonder if it could replace resveratrol and if it would make a more potent mix.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#22 timar

• 768 posts
  • 306 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Source : https://en.wikipedia...iki/Glutathione

This source is promoted by Arthur de Vany, a well know guy in the Paleo community, this guy is a slightly fitter version of Christopher Reeve at this prime, but he's 73 years old, weight 203 pounds of almost pure muscle and still drag his car out of the drive way :D. 

http://glutathionescience.com/

I had to stop taking it because its a big expensive for me for my income this winter, but when i take it, i'm almost never sick as long i keep my sleep in check.

I wonder if it could replace resveratrol and if it would make a more potent mix.

This is just another rip-off snake oil supplement company. There's nothing in those supplements you won't get from a cheap multivitamin and/or B-complex (except the glutathione itself, which is pretty much useless because it isn't absorbed intact. There is no doubt that an oral dose of N-acetyl-cysteine is much more effective in raising glutathione levels than glutathione itself, which is why it is clinically utilized to raise glutathione, e.g. in acetaminophen poisoning).

However, these don't come in - quote from the website - "Scientifically Sealed Blister Packets".

Impressive! Maybe it's those scientifically sealed blister packets making it that expensive... (ROFL)

Anyway, you got something completely wrong here: NR is not an antioxidant. In fact, antioxidants like NAC may even interfere with its beneficial effects. Please try to scrape that flawed "antioxidants are awesome, the more the better" meme out of your brain. That would not just serve your health but your wallet as well.

Edited by timar, 10 April 2014 - 04:28 PM.

• like x 4
  • dislike x 1

#23 Droplet33

• 34 posts
  • 13 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

I wasn't referring NR is a antioxidant, i was talking about resveratrol, sorry if i wasn't clear enough. I totally agree with what you said about the vitamins (i'm currently using AOR advanced B complex) and understand the "antioxidants are awesone, the more the better" meme you're referring to :) .

I'll admit that i don't understand much on gluthatione (except its freaking hard to keep it from being destroyed by acid in the digestion process) and i'm trusting Arthur de Vany more than anything else, at least so far, but i'm learning new things every day on this board. Until i joined this board not too long ago, i just trusted the fact the guy is well know in the Paleo community for his scientific rigor and its pretty much the single supplement he recommend. 

Sure, the mumbo jumbo about the "Scientifically Sealed Blister Packets" made me cringe as well :laugh:.

That being said, thank you for the comment, i asked questions for a reason ;)!

Edited by Droplet33, 10 April 2014 - 07:59 PM.

• WellResearched x 1

#24 niner

• 16,276 posts
  • 2,000 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

I wasn't referring NR is a antioxidant, i was talking about resveratrol, sorry if i wasn't clear enough.

Resveratrol doesn't act as an antioxidant in the body, at least not in a significant way.  It might be an antioxidant in a test tube, but that's just marketing talk.  This is not to say resveratrol doesn't have biological activities- it's just that they aren't antioxidant in nature.
  • like x 3
  • Needs references x 1

#25 trance

• 335 posts
  • 112 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

This is just another rip-off snake oil supplement company. There's nothing in those supplements you won't get from a cheap multivitamin and/or B-complex (except the glutathione itself, which is pretty much useless because it isn't absorbed intact. There is no doubt that an oral dose of N-acetyl-cysteine is much more effective in raising glutathione levels than glutathione itself, which is why it is clinically utilized to raise glutathione, e.g. in acetaminophen poisoning).

However, these don't come in - quote from the website - "Scientifically Sealed Blister Packets".

Impressive! Maybe it's those scientifically sealed blister packets making it that expensive... (ROFL)

Anyway, you got something completely wrong here: NR is not an antioxidant. In fact, antioxidants like NAC may even interfere with its beneficial effects. Please try to scrape that flawed "antioxidants are awesome, the more the better" meme out of your brain. That would not just serve your health but your wallet as well.

You have to be careful too in that NR will probably become the next great snake oil similar to the way resveratrol was eventually marketed -- whether good or bad -- and many may be baiting the hook here early with any overboard NR-related claims for quoted material, or Dr Oz infomercials, that they can use later.  

• Good Point x 1

#26 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

You have to be careful too in that NR will probably become the next great snake oil similar to the way resveratrol was eventually marketed -- whether good or bad -- and many may be baiting the hook here early with any overboard NR-related claims for quoted material, or Dr Oz infomercials, that they can use later.  

You seem to have a downer on NR? I think I have picked that up from one or two of your posts....Please correct me if I am wrong..

Do you have any information to dispute the possible effectiveness of NR?

The reason that I ask is that I have spent a LOT of time looking into this and have yet to see anything negative.

Positive information from Harvard,École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland and MIT are pretty hard to argue with.

Edited by midas, 10 April 2014 - 09:17 PM.

• Needs references x 1

#27 trance

• 335 posts
  • 112 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

You seem to have a downer on NR? I think I have picked that up from one or two of your posts....Please correct me if I am wrong..

The reason that I ask is that I have spent a LOT of time looking into this and have yet to see anything negative.

Not at all ... I was probably one of the first to begin using it here when I found the initial research back in Sept/Oct last year, when it was $18-19 a bottle if that gives you a time line, but I do have raised eyebrows when I see the Dr Oz type claimants showing up making remarkable N=1 anecdotal reports.  That's all, just a cautious raised-eyebrow to the anecdotal claims, and not the actual research at all.

• like x 3

#28 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Not at all ... I was probably one of the first to begin using it here when I found the initial research back in Sept/Oct last year, when it was $18-19 a bottle if that gives you a time line, but I do have raised eyebrows when I see the Dr Oz type claimants showing up making remarkable N=1 anecdotal reports.  That's all, just a cautious raised-eyebrow to the anecdotal claims, and not the actual research at all.

OK thanks, I just thought you might have seen something we had not....As far as people like Dr Oz and Mercola go, they and everyone else will be jumping on the bandwagon over this just to look smart, they usually do. :)

#29 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts
  • 389 â‚®

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL POST:  http://www.longecity...-14#entry655356

mikey, on 09 Apr 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:
  Well, I received mine today and can report that I was pooped and taking a nap at around five PM when the postman rang the bell to deliver it.

I took two capsules (250 mg) emptied under my tongue and, shortly, I experienced a distinct improvement in my energy level.

So, I took five more under my tongue and it does definitely do some things for mental and physical energy.

I doubt that it was a placebo effect, but I'll see tomorrow AM when I wake what it feels like.

#30 BobSeitz

• 81 posts
  • 109 â‚®

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hi, "Lemonhead",

I take a bunch of supplements. My not-very-well-informed notion is that at 84¾, I may need supplementation more than most. I don't generally take vitamins, and I try to eat as healthy a diet as I can. Whether or not I need supplements is a question I don't know how to answer.

My only aches and pains are a little tenderness in my hands and wrists, and what was probably an injury to the cervical socket in my neck. I'm not ordinarily aware of it, but it 's more noticeable lately because I've begun arm and shoulder exercises. Twenty-five years ago, my wife and I were swimming a mile a day, but I quit swimming because this cervical joint began to hurt. I had it checked out in 1990. I was told that quite a bit of damage showed up on the x-ray, but I didn't pursue the matter. (I'm not sure there would have been anything anyone could have done about it in 1990 other than prescribe exercises and NSAIDs. Maybe stem cells will come to the rescue one of these years.) But generally, it's nothing more than a nuisance.

I'm puzzled over my lack of osteoarthritis. My predecessors were plagued with it by the time they had reached my age. If we could figure it out, we could all get rich (:-))

I really need to get some guidance from one of the personal trainers at the Wellness Center. I haven't taken the time to explore that yet, but it would probably be a good idea now that I've spent a couple of months working out at a fitness center.

With regard to history, I've exercised throughout all my adult years, but it was a matter of superstition. I was aware of no evidence that it affected my overall health or all-cause mortality risk until the last few years. Back in the 1960's and 1970's, I jogged a couple of miles a day, and I climbed the mountain behind our house. In 1985, I developed a fallen arch in my left foot, and I had to quit running. My wife had started swimming at the Natatorium, so I switched to swimming.  After my neck began bothering me in May, 1989, I started climbing up and down Suicide Hill three times in a row. By that time, I had arch supports that allowed me to walk OK. (My left arch gradually completely healed itself, or at least, somehow adapted to its condition.) Then ten years ago, I resumed running again.

After we were married in 1956, my first wife got us on what was then considered a good diet. Then in 1979, within a period of two months, five men in my lab at work, and five men who lived on our street had heart attacks, bypass operations, or angina. I hied myself over to our medical library and spent the summer of 1979 copying articles from the Journal of Clinical Nutrition. There I learned that cardiovascular disease is largely a lifestyle disease. There were third-world cultures in which it was virtually unknown. At that point, I got religion about nutrition.

Some of the articles in the JCN dealt with the Inuit, and with the oily fish they ate. I began eating mackerel or salmon twice a week. Another line of investigation pointed toward soluble fiber as something that would lower cholesterol and would protect against coronary artery disease. I began eating oat bran, Apple pectin seemed to be beneficial. Trace amounts of chromium picolinate seemed to help smooth out blood sugar spikes. And above all, low saturated fat was "in". Nathan Pritikin had gotten modest reversals of coronary arterial plaques with diets that contained no more than 10% fat. I started drinking skim milk, carrying bowls of vegetables to eat at lunch, and avoiding red meat. I lost a lot of weight, getting back to what I weighed when my wife and were married.

I had no heart disease in my family on either side, other than strokes in our nineties, but that didn't mean that it would necessarily work out that way for me.

By the end of the summer of 1979, I was sufficiently mollified by my transformed lifestyle that I quit worrying about cardiovascular disease, and focused on other matters... until two years later, when my wife presented with the invasive ductal adenocarcinoma of the left breast that would kill her in 1992, a little over ten years after she was first diagnosed and treated. Then it was back to the Medical Library, this time ransacking journals for information about cancer.

Normally, I fast for about 16 hours from suppertime to breakfast, postponing breakfast until after I've run. Then I eat a palmful of walnuts with, maybe, 6 or 8 almonds, and 12-15 pistachios along with a cup of low-sodium V8 juice. I've just begun adding some blueberries, some cranberries, and half an apple to my mixed nuts. Next, I prepare a cup of white tea with 1/2 teaspoon matcha green tea and a heaping teaspoonful of "raw" (really, minimally processed, Navitas) cocoa, sweetened with Stevia and flavored with lemon juice. I'm now adding a dash of beta-alanine (for carnosine) and half a pycnogenol capsule to each cup. After that, comes whatever is on the menu for the day... maybe, a few ounces of wild Alaska salmon with a teaspoon of carbon-60 in olive oil. I try to get in as much spinach and broccoli as I can. Another cup of white tea, etc., is part of my "required eating" for the day. I also try to get some legumes each day.

By the time I've eaten all this, there isn't much room for anything else.

For what it's worth, I've had aches and pains that have come, lasted for a few years, and then left. One example is the problem with my left arch. Another is a problem with the big toes on both feet. I attributed the ridges that developed at the tops of the metatarsal joints to the tight, wingtip shoes that I wore to work. Evidently, my joints have somehow remodeled to eliminate the problem. I hope this happens with you. I know it's worrisome to see things deteriorating with age and time. I hope things subside for you, too.

• like x 7
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By