• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Any reason this combo couldn't be duplicated in humans? (Benzylpenicillin+ EDTA)

penicillin edta combination benzylpenicillin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YOLF

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:32 AM

The authors used in vitro cultures and added EDTA to decrease the MICs (minimum inhibitory concentrations) of some abx. How might someone go about duplicating these results? What would be the conversions here? Is it safe to assume that the max safe dosage of EDTA would suffice? Do inhibitory concentrations lead to killing the organism?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....c00003-0033.pdf

#2 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Well, they discuss that EDTA only decreases the MIC of benzylpenicillin and cefazolin and it is because of the greater permeability,

I think it is a bit futile to try to make less efficient abx more efficient by the addition of edta, which I doubt would reach these in vitro concentrations in vivo...

but an animal study can never hurt^^

and for your last question, unfortunately mic is the lowest concentration which causes a visible halt in bacterial colonial growth.... not reduction of it

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 April 2014 - 08:48 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

So if the MICs of benylpenicillin went from 1600ug to 50ug after adding EDTA, would that make it easier to kill the organism? 

The way I'm seeing it, taking a 500mg penicillin dose would be the functional equivalent to taking 16g of penicillin (a dose that would probably result in problems if it were actually administered to a host). So how much beta lactam resistance can the organism generate? Would it be enough at a dosage like that?

I don't see that they tested it, but perhaps an Augmentin/Clavamox with EDTA would work even better? I'm not seeing an available penicillin/clav.

Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penicillin, edta, combination, benzylpenicillin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users