Coca Leaves As A Nootropic?

coca

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#91 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

i havent cared to read about reserpine until this thread was mentioned but i didnt find any severe problems with it associated with perm problems and/or death. in fact i found this; Reserpine is one of the few antihypertensive medications that have been shown in randomized controlled trials to reduce mortality: The Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program,[14] the Veterans Administration Cooperative Study Group in Anti-hypertensive Agents,[15] and the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program.[16]

thats three places stating it reduces mortality. kind of hard to understand whats so deadly about reserpine... OH and the fact that it is only shown to exist in one plant so far makes it even less of a problem....

Wow! I did not see those studies. Interesting.

To respond to your last statement: Coca has not really had to many studies done on its alkaloid content. To be fair, however, the only actual study done on coca stated that they did not find Reserpine.

#92 YOLF

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Whatever the case, reserpine as a drug was removed from the market because other drugs were ultimately more effective and less dangerous. That study was done 35 years ago. We didn't have alot of drugs for anything back then.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

Cryonics, any update on your coca usage?

Did you try steeping it in hot water and making a strong tea?

#94 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

cryonics, i checked this http://en.wikipedia....p_1_carcinogens to see if you were right that reserpine is carcinogenic to humans, i didnt find it in that list. if you know the IARC they have several groups but group 1 is the most important regarding definitive carcinogenicity to humans. not only was reserpine not there, but i didnt see it in possible and maybe groups either.

since people will always argue "oh but they havent done much research yet" i checked australian, european, asian, nobody mentions reserpine as even mildly carcnogenic. cryonics, how do you come up with this stuff? you read an article that stated without good argument that it was and you ran with it? just earlier post you said the studies done on it were outdated, too old. perhaps the study you saw on it being carcinogenic is not only unreliable, but outdated too??

#95 YOLF

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Tried steeping it. 

No luck, I'm not feeling a metabolism boost or less hunger.

#96 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Tried steeping it. 

No luck, I'm not feeling a metabolism boost or less hunger.

Maybe I'm just sensitive on it. But there's got to be a reason that people have been drinking coca tea for 1000s of years. Try making a very strong cup, like 3-5 teaspoons steeped for 10 minutes.

Edited by Ritchie, 28 April 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#97 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

richie i ordered from them 5 days ago and still nothing. their site is super lame, i go to their information on my order, for 4 days says still processing now it says shipped, but no tracking number or anything so i know what is going on. really irritating.

#98 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

richie i ordered from them 5 days ago and still nothing. their site is super lame, i go to their information on my order, for 4 days says still processing now it says shipped, but no tracking number or anything so i know what is going on. really irritating.

That's the site I ordered from. I can't really help you. Try to message the sites support, as. I can't not do anything for you.

#99 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

heh i wasnt aiming at bothering you to help in any way,  i was just updating on the status. i wished to report how it works but since i cannot get it i might as well whine :)

#100 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

heh i wasnt aiming at bothering you to help in any way,  i was just updating on the status. i wished to report how it works but since i cannot get it i might as well whine :)

Heh heh :). Well I think the coca is worth it. A really strong cup of coca tea does marvels for focus and motivation. And it is an absolute joy to go for a walk with a wad of coca in my mouth :). Although I don't know If you'll be able to feel anything from Coca :(. I'm thinking that pure cocaine may have desensitized your brain to dopamine and serotonin :(

#101 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

i doubt cryonics ever did cocaine and he is not feeling anything. i think all his worry about reserpine being present probably put him off so much, he might be too careful with the tea to such extent he uses way too little :(

#102 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

i doubt cryonics ever did cocaine and he is not feeling anything. i think all his worry about reserpine being present probably put him off so much, he might be too careful with the tea to such extent he uses way too little :(

No, I'm talking about another thread watcher I talked to. They used cocaine as a anti-depressant and are expecting the same from coca leaves. I don't think they will feel anything from coca :(. Unless they make an extremely strong tea.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 30 April 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#103 YOLF

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

FYI I got the expedited shipping.

#104 YOLF

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

Never did cocaine. I dumped it in though. The single dose or infrequent dose reserpine levels should be pretty low, but if I'm using it daily, then it could make me stupid. Infrequent users (less than 10g/wk of fresh leaves weren't negatively effected on the intelligence battery.

#105 Geoffrey

• 218 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

If it's doing nothing for you, try combining with bicarbonate of soda. Two methods: either dissolve half a teaspoon of bicarbonate in quarter of a glass of water and drink before taking the tea; or put the bicarbonate in the tea and add half a teaspoon of honey. I find the latter doesn't spoil the taste of the tea too much, but some people might prefer the bicarbonate separately. The idea here is to neutralize the stomach acids that destroy the alkaloids and prevent absorption, which is why in the Andes the leaf is traditionally combined with lime. Any mild base will do.

A note of caution, though: if you've ever seen documentaries about the Kogi -- e.g. this one: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3W1HeLZCBNQ -- ALL the men, and some of the women, seem to be constantly chewing the leaves and quite honestly seem hooked. So I would suggest even these mild leaves and tea should be taken in moderation. If coca were a nootropic as opposed to only being a stimulant, you'd expect the Kogi to be geniuses, although what counts as intelligence is of course a cultural issue. Maybe learning to live in harmony with nature is the ultimate form of human intelligence...

(Maybe I should add that it's not much different from our own addiction to caffeine, whether in coffee, tea or "coca" cola...)

Edited by Geoffrey, 30 April 2014 - 07:01 AM.

• like x 1

#106 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

If it's doing nothing for you, try combining with bicarbonate of soda. Two methods: either dissolve half a teaspoon of bicarbonate in quarter of a glass of water and drink before taking the tea; or put the bicarbonate in the tea and add half a teaspoon of honey. I find the latter doesn't spoil the taste of the tea too much, but some people might prefer the bicarbonate separately. The idea here is to neutralize the stomach acids that destroy the alkaloids and prevent absorption, which is why in the Andes the leaf is traditionally combined with lime. Any mild base will do.

A note of caution, though: if you've ever seen documentaries about the Kogi -- e.g. this one: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3W1HeLZCBNQ -- ALL the men, and some of the women, seem to be constantly chewing the leaves and quite honestly seem hooked. So I would suggest even these mild leaves and tea should be taken in moderation. If coca were a nootropic as opposed to only being a stimulant, you'd expect the Kogi to be geniuses, although what counts as intelligence is of course a cultural issue. Maybe learning to live in harmony with nature is the ultimate form of human intelligence...

(Maybe I should add that it's not much different from our own addiction to caffeine, whether in coffee, tea or "coca" cola...)

I believe that they are constantly chewing due to the fact that it is pleaseant and that they have an unlimited supply. If I had an unlimited supply I would be constantly chewing too. But when I run out of Coca to chew. I can easily forget about it without even the mildest withdrawl symptoms/cravings.

For me the nootropic effects are characterized as improved focus and reduction of adhd and anxiety symptoms.

#107 zeropoint

• 92 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Whatever the case, reserpine as a drug was removed from the market because other drugs were ultimately more effective and less dangerous. That study was done 35 years ago. We didn't have alot of drugs for anything back then.

IMHO back then when reserpine was used, newer patentable and because of their patentability much more profitable drugs came out, which made reserpine bashing more popular, with not just one pharm company but all of them wanting reserpine out of the way.

If coca contains reserpine it must be very small, neglible amounts. Anyone, like myself, who has drunk sarpaganda tea made with rauwolfia serpentine root would know this in that reserpine is more of a sedative and coca more of a stimulant herb.

#108 zeropoint

• 92 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

i havent cared to read about reserpine until this thread was mentioned but i didnt find any severe problems with it associated with perm problems and/or death. in fact i found this; Reserpine is one of the few antihypertensive medications that have been shown in randomized controlled trials to reduce mortality: The Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program,[14] the Veterans Administration Cooperative Study Group in Anti-hypertensive Agents,[15] and the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program.[16]

thats three places stating it reduces mortality. kind of hard to understand whats so deadly about reserpine... OH and the fact that it is only shown to exist in one plant so far makes it even less of a problem....

Exactly stuff like this makes me question all earlier research on reserpine. Thankyou normalizing.

Actually reserpine is related to yohimbine which also has a short half-life, it works either by metabolizing into other compounds or by downstream cascading events one of which is "depletion of tissue stores of epinephrine and norepinephrine from peripheral sites.By contrast, it's sedative effects are thought to be related to depletion of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine) from the brain." Effects are long lasting due to effects deleting both epinephrine and serotonin stores.

#109 YOLF

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

IMHO back then when reserpine was used, newer patentable and because of their patentability much more profitable drugs came out, which made reserpine bashing more popular, with not just one pharm company but all of them wanting reserpine out of the way.

If coca contains reserpine it must be very small, neglible amounts. Anyone, like myself, who has drunk sarpaganda tea made with rauwolfia serpentine root would know this in that reserpine is more of a sedative and coca more of a stimulant herb.

I'd like to see some articles/studies on this tea regarding intelligence.

#110 zeropoint

• 92 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Just a heads up guys, last year I got into an bike accident and was taken to the hospital by ambulance and it was either the day before or earlier in the day I had a chew of coca.....anyways they said I tested positive for cocaine, you could imagine their faces of me trying to explain to them I drank coca tea (didn't want to even mention chewing them) and that it was a herbal tea, good for you,ect,ect...doubt they believed me.

• like x 1

#111 Brother Silky

• 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

Hello,

I was browsing the internet looking for information on this topic and came across this thread. I made an account to join the discussion. First  off, I just want to confirm that pijamacafe is a legitimate source ( I can't post links but you'd be able to find it with a google search). I was wary making my first order but digging a little deeper I found out that it used to be a reputable store that sold on amazon but was taken off for whatever reason ( In retrospec, I don't know why this made me feel better about the store but it did nontheless). I ended up ordering an ounce of powdered coca (5.55$) and an ounce of ma huang for what amounted to less than 20$ including shipping, sort of as a test. It arrived a few days later and I was so impressed with the coca that I ended up ordering another pound.

I've been wrapping the coca powder in gauze with a little baking soda and holding in my mouth like dip, or just mixing it with oj and drinking it straight up.

I was diagnosed with adhd as a child and it's continued into my young adulthood. I've had problems in the past with prescribed stimulants for reasons I wont delve into here.

Anyway, I've noticed that coca leaf gives me a calm sense of focus. It's actually pretty easy to miss, but its definitely there if I attempt to apply myself. I used it for studying for my orgo 2 exam last week and I ended up doing very well, I pleasantly surprised myself actually. We were, in part, learning about amine reactions and the professor used benzocaine/ cocaine as some examples of biologically relevant amines. Reading this in my notes made me softly chuckle to myself for reasons you'd probably only understand if you were staring at chemical reactions and depriving yourself of sunlight for the past three days.

• like x 1

#112 YOLF

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Welcome to LC Brother Silky!

#113 zeropoint

• 92 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

What I like about using plants/herbs as nootropics is that we're also getting good stuff like chlorophyl and micronutrients that are in low supply in the modern diet today....this micronutrient deficincy also play a part in our modern obesity epidemic,ect. 

• like x 1

#114 Q did it!

• 354 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

If anyone was still looking for a sourse of Coca I use this company, http://pijamacafe.we...te-de-coca.html

#115 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Does anybody have an idea how to get this into europe for an acceptable price? From then on it should be easy to get into my country.

If I order directly the package will be fished out by customs im very sure.

#116 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

i received mine. tastes and smells like Lama ass. horrible smell and taste. i chewed some with baking soda, jeez christ, i cant feel my tongue at all. 100% numb, teeth, my whole mouth i dont feel it. this has to be the most potent antiseptic i have encountered. but to mention, zero high whatsoever. the effects are impossible to describe since so naturally mild that im not sure. i just feel super concetrated tho. but it lasts so little, you have to keep taking it and its not cost wise. :s

#117 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

ok i did some without baking soda not rly the same. the numbness was 60% less and i guess baking soda does add a lot to it.

#118 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

ok i did some without baking soda not rly the same. the numbness was 60% less and i guess baking soda does add a lot to it.

Chewing really numbs the mouth, Some Former cocaine users say that it numbs their mouth more than "gummies"(Rubbing pure cocaine on their gums). This obviously has to do with the fact that the Coca leaf contain 3 local anesthetics, with cocaine being the weakest one I believe. Some people say the leafs smell bad. I love the smell :D. But anyways, try making a really strong tea with 5-10 grams, I find it lasts longer when ingested. Just try to add in a little but of baking soda in the tea to neutralize some of your stomach acid. It could be YOUR specific biochemistry that is the issue. Honestly, the effects from coca are subtle(for me). It does enhance concentration and motivation. But it does not suddenly make you extremely euphoric and motivated like snorting real cocaine. Instead, I find it to sort of "amplify" my focus and motivation by maybe 10%. That said, If im depressed and unmotivated, coca will help very little.

#119 YOLF

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

Any results for appetite suppression? Would you mind taking your weight and BMI? I wonder if they'll replace the caranavi with some raw leaves... I didn't experience anywhere near as much numbness as you describe, definitely not something I'd use for getting a cavity drilled...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

I wonder if there's something that would potentiate the focus/stimulant effect or make it last longer, like reversible MAO- or COMT-inhibition (EGCG?), or perhaps throw in some black pepper which is known to dramatically increase absorption of many things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users