- - - - -

Inositol Making Me Extremely Tired

inositol adhd ibs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chris87

• 35 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

I have taken Inositol for the past three nights (before bed). I have only taken 1/4 teaspoon, which is 600 mg. From what I understand, that is a very small dose. I'm not sure why, but it is making me extremely tired. I can barely get out of bed, and I feel foggy the entire day. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with having ADHD-like issues. I have a lot of trouble with concentration, focus, and various other executive functions.

I've been trying to find a solution to this strange issue that I have. I guess it's related to IBS. Whenever I get nervous, or think about certain things, it somehow triggers discomfort in my gut. A lot of times, the thoughts aren't even anxiety provoking. I've tried so many different supplements and nothing has worked. I feel like this problem controls my life. I'm convinced that it's my mind causing the problem. I know that there's a strong brain/gut connection.

Does anyone have any insight or possible suggestions?

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

You could consider feeding your microbiome with either probiotics (kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut), or prebiotics in the form of resistant starch. Things like starchy vegetables, green plantains, (raw) potato starch, cashews, legumes, etc

You also might find some benefit from peppermint tea or essential oil, there have been some studies showing its helpful for ibs- http://examine.com/s...nts/Peppermint/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Inositol depletes both Magnesium and Potassium. Deficiencies in both can result in a host of symptoms such as weakness, nausea, depression, fatigue, memory problems, muscle spasms, irritability, insomnia, poor nail growth, etc...

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22889135

"A trio of activated cofactor Mg²⁺ ions is required for inositol monophosphate hydrolysis by IMPase"

Also I have a thread investigating inositol and its side effects:

http://www.longecity...g-with-choline/

I suspect that Inositol has some choline effects too, likely depleting acetylcholine or at least allocating choline for some other function in the body resulting in the memory problems that many people experience.

You should try Inositol again but with adequate potassium & magnesium levels as well as something that promotes acetylcholine production like Huperzine A or CDP-Choline + NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) and let me know how it goes!!

#4 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

I've been wondering if large doses of inositol will increase intracellular levels of phosphatidylinositol. It is a Gelsolin modulator and inhibits it's actin filament-severing properties. Interestingly if it depletes Mg++ it would leave more Ca++ to activate the Gelsolin.

#5 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

I've been wondering if large doses of inositol will increase intracellular levels of phosphatidylinositol. It is a Gelsolin modulator and inhibits it's actin filament-severing properties. Interestingly if it depletes Mg++ it would leave more Ca++ to activate the Gelsolin.

I know that Myo-inositol 1-Phosphate is converted to myo-Inositol by myo-Inositol Phosphatase. Since myo-Inositol is the precursor in the synthesis of phosphatidylinositol, then increasing large doses of myo-nositol must also increase the production of phosphatidylinositol to a certain extent. I'm not sure what the enzyme is that this reaction is dependent on, but that enzyme would probably cap the amount of phosphatidylinositol eventually.

Do you know the what would happen if you had too much phosphatidylinositol? Can this affect acetylcholine production in any way? And what are the implications of a Gelsolin modulator?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 Ezeon

• 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

Inositol works similarly on me. I get fatigued and feel completely burned out after taking it. It's one of the supplements I've hidden away in my basement and never touches.

While we're on the topic, Phosphatidylinositol is ok to take for me. No such problems with it.

Phosphatidylserine is a great supplement for me. It makes me energetic and less tired. I believe it could be something with my phosphates / inositol balance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inositol, adhd, ibs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users