- - - - -

Sprinting in place.

cardio health sprinting primal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

Been doing this about a week and a half. Only doing it 3-4 times a week, overall exercise lasts about 10-15 minutes.

Why am I doing this?

Because long distance cardio is bad for us in my view and since sprinting is suppose to have the best after burn effect of any cardio exercise, why wouldn't sprinting in place have the same after burn effect?

Thoughts on it?

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:03 AM

i feel like that without treading any actual ground, it will be impossible to closely mimic the form you would have during an actual sprint. that being said, this is still pretty cool. why in place though...why not just sprint to the stop sign and back?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

i feel like that without treading any actual ground, it will be impossible to closely mimic the form you would have during an actual sprint. that being said, this is still pretty cool. why in place though...why not just sprint to the stop sign and back?

I think the tutorial is designed to show people how to get similar cardio benefits on the inside of your home. 

The purpose of leaning against the wall is to put similar mechanisms into motion as an actual sprint. 

Do you sprint? 

#4 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:23 AM

I would be concerned with the constant high impact aspect and excessive wear and tear on the joints...especially the knees but also the feet and ankles as well as the hips.  All of the energy impacted on driving the feet into the floor has no where to go but be absorbed back into the joints. With actual sprinting, the force is released by propelling the weight of the body forward rather than staying stationary and driving the feet into the floor with the total impact driving back into the leg joints. Although he appears young and invincible, I can guarantee that if training in this fashion over a long enough period of time, that joint issues will eventually surface.  And joints are very slow to heal and often will become chronic once damaged.  This is the very reason low impact training is emphasized.  Talk to any career athlete (professional or recreational) and they will emphasize lessons learned on protecting and taking care of your joints.

• like x 3

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

I would be concerned with the constant high impact aspect and excessive wear and tear on the joints...especially the knees but also the feet and ankles as well as the hips.  All of the energy impacted on driving the feet into the floor has no where to go but be absorbed back into the joints. With actual sprinting, the force is released by propelling the weight of the body forward rather than staying stationary and driving the feet into the floor with the total impact driving back into the leg joints. Although he appears young and invincible, I can guarantee that if training in this fashion over a long enough period of time, that joint issues will eventually surface.  And joints are very slow to heal and often will become chronic once damaged.  This is the very reason low impact training is emphasized.  Talk to any career athlete (professional or recreational) and they will emphasize lessons learned on protecting and taking care of your joints.

Good points.

I think of this as more of a temporary makeshift idea when someone cannot get out to an open field to do sprints, or maybe are experiencing a bit of social anxiety and are stuck indoors for the day. 

#6 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

Sprinting in place will get your heart rate up, you'll breathe heavy, muscles will be pumping, blood will be flowing, and your legs will be absorbing impact. It's 99% the same physiologically as actual sprinting. It's the psychological aspect that you will be missing. Going out on a jog not only serves to get you moving, it also gets you out. You get to see the world, so the scenery is (hopefully) better than your house. And if you give up halfway through, you have to walk back. That last bit is the most important part. There is no quitting when you're actually out, because you still have to get home, and that can lead to a much longer exercise than if you could just stop at any time and sit on your ass in front of the computer.

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

Sprinting in place will get your heart rate up, you'll breathe heavy, muscles will be pumping, blood will be flowing, and your legs will be absorbing impact. It's 99% the same physiologically as actual sprinting. It's the psychological aspect that you will be missing. Going out on a jog not only serves to get you moving, it also gets you out. You get to see the world, so the scenery is (hopefully) better than your house. And if you give up halfway through, you have to walk back. That last bit is the most important part. There is no quitting when you're actually out, because you still have to get home, and that can lead to a much longer exercise than if you could just stop at any time and sit on your ass in front of the computer.

I agree, it is probably an important social movement to actually go out and be a part of society in that sense. Which itself is good for nervous system function.

I just think of sprinting in place as a makeshift idea, for those days when you'e maybe not feeling humanity as much, got a little anxiety and have nothing to do. 

In my experience this really does drain you as much as out door sprinting should, in theory. 

#8 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

i agree that it is not always desirable to go out and run, particularly if the area you live in is not the most peaceful, or if you're in a densely populated urban setting.
jumping rope might make for a better alternative. that can be done anywhere with full range of motion

Edited by Adaptogen, 03 May 2014 - 03:28 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:47 AM

i agree that it is not always desirable to go out and run, particularly if the area you live in is not the most peaceful, or if you're in a densely populated urban setting.
jumping rope might make for a better alternative. that can be done anywhere with full range of motion

Better alternative for long term joint issues. I don't think it would necessarily be a better cardio burn, or after burn for that matter. 

See sprinting is really the emulation of the activity our ancient ancestors partook in. 

Stop, go, stop go. Etc. 

Some would say that's what HIIT is. But I would counter by saying I think HIIT is too much.

I have seen guys who do this kind of exercise and they don't hold on to muscle well. Too much cardio is catabolic. Long, intense cardio is not muscle sparring, it is actually burning muscle instead of fat after a certain point. 

Edited by TheFountain, 03 May 2014 - 04:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cardio health, sprinting, primal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users