* * * * * 7 votes

Breakthroughs in depression!

depression

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#1 ILIkeBeer

• 135 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:52 AM

From time to time I tend to look at what is on the horizon as far as research for depression and or anxiety... usually I find a few things but just recently I have found a ton of new items and breakthroughs. I wanted to list them and see if anyone knows more about any of these, in hopes that we can all get some hope for the future. Most of these looked very promising to me and look like they have made some great discoveries that could soon aid people with depression! Do you know anything or know of any others?

List:
P7C3-A20

url: http://www.medicalne...cles/275841.php

It all came about when the research team decided to find out if ghrelin’s antidepressant effect could be enhanced with P7C3 compounds, which had been discovered previously to have neuroprotective properties.
What they learned is that P7C3 compounds did indeed enhance the antidepressant effect of ghrelin to a significant extent. They also found that a "highly active analog" of the P7C3-A20 compounds stimulated the creation of new neurons to a much greater extent than current antidepressant drugs on the market.
The results of the study indicate that the P7C3 compounds could help those suffering with depression associated with prolonged stress, as well as those who are obese or anorexic due to having altered ghrelin levels or ghrelin resistance.

NSI-189

Ok there is a great post on the loungcity forums about this one some people did a group buy and used it.... it looks very promising.... might want to skip to page 20 or so it is very long.

http://www.longecity.../58442-nsi-189/

NSA-189 is a proprietary new chemical entity that stimulates new neuron growth in the hippocampus, an area of the brain believed to be contributory in MDD and other conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease and Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Phase 1b of the clinical trial is to test the safety and tolerability of the drug in depressed patients.

Karl Johe, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer and Chairman of Neuralstem’s Board of Directors, said, “We are pleased to be approved to begin testing NSI-189 in patients who suffer from depression. Loss of hippocampal volume is a known characteristic in depressed patients. NSI-189 stimulates neurogenesis and increases hippocampal volume in healthy adult mice, at the same time reversing behavioural symptoms in mouse depression models, so it could address depression at the source.”

Maurizio Fava, MD, Slater Family Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and Executive Vice Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, is a leading researcher into MDD and helped to design the Neuralstem trial, added, “It is exciting to see a new class of drugs that potentially offers a novel and different approach to this disease moving into patients.”

Neuralstem’s technology enabled the creation of neural stem cell lines from areas of the human CNS, including the hippocampus, a part of the brain involved in memory and the generation of new neurons. From this, Neuralstem has created virtually unlimited amounts of mature human neurons and glia in laboratory dishes which can be used to mimic the natural brain environment to test the drug’s effects.

NSI-189 is the lead compound in Neuralstem’s neuroregenerative small molecule drug platform, which the company plans to develop into orally administered drugs for MDD and other psychiatric disorders, such as anxiety, bipolar disorder, PTSD and Alzheimer’s disease. In previous tests, NSI-189 significantly improved behavioural responses associated with depression. In humans, it may reverse the human hippocampal atrophy seen in MDD and other disorders, reversing their symptoms.

The NSI-189/MDD trial is a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, multiple-dose escalating trial evaluating the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamic effect of NSI-189 in the treatment of MDD. Phase 1a tested escalating doses of single administration in healthy patients. Phase 1b will test the safety of escalating doses for 28 daily administrations in 24 depressed patients, and will take approximately 6 months to complete.

GSK650394

In a nutshell, they found SGK1 was able to prolong the negative aspects of stress hormones. By keeping the GR active even 
after the cortisol had left the cells, the SGK1 protein got in the way of the long-term “good” the cortisol had done. It 
inhibited neurogenesis.

Using animals models and depressive patient’s blood samples, the team used a pharmacological compound known as GSK650394 
that obstructs SGK1 and discovered they were able to increase the growth of new brain cells.

Not only is this good news for those without MS, but also it is incredibly important for those that do.

Atrophy is an incredibly lousy affect for an MS patient and with depression and anger being so prevalent among patients 
(in the United States alone, there are around 350,000 reported cases of MS with a mind numbing 75% or more with depression 
and anger issues) combating this is extremely important.

Microglia-stimulating drugs

URL: http://new.huji.ac.il/en/article/18551

Now researchers at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem have shown that changes in one type of non-neuronal brain cells, 
called microglia, underlie the depressive symptoms brought on by exposure to chronic stress. In experiments with animals, 
the researchers were able to demonstrate that compounds that alter the functioning of microglia can serve as novel and 
efficient antidepressant drugs.

The researchers mimicked chronic unpredictable stress in humans — a leading causes of depression — by exposing mice to 
repeated, unpredictable stressful conditions over a period of 5 weeks. The mice developed behavioral and neurological 
symptoms mirroring those seen in depressed humans, including a reduction in pleasurable activity and in social interaction, 
as well as reduced generation of new brain cells (neurogenesis) — an important biological marker of depression.

The researchers found that during the first week of stress exposure, microglia cells undergo a phase of proliferation and 
activation, reflected by increased size and production of specific inflammatory molecules, after which some microglia begin 
to die. Following the 5 weeks of stress exposure, this phenomenon led to a reduction in the number of microglia, and to a 
degenerated appearance of some microglia cells, particularly in a specific region of the brain involved in responding to 
stress.

HDAC2 Inhibitor

Many times, mild to moderate depression does not respond to SSRI treatment alone. HDAC inhibitors, such as valproic acid, are currently used as mood stabilizers and anti-epileptics, but as a stand alone, valproic acide is not an effective treatment for depression. By effectively controlling the therapeutic dose of both drugs, and establishing a novel combination drug therapy strategy, more effective treatments for mild to moderate depression and other mood disorders can be developed. This combination treatment strategy will target the large population of people who have mild to moderate depression in which SSRIs are not particularly effective.

hedgehog pathway

url: http://chipur.com/ho...-at-the-source/

MI-4

The latest hope as a psychiatric rescue drug is called MI-4, and news of its promise was reported earlier this week at the 
San Diego meeting of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). Scientists also have 
identified the drug as Ro-25-6981.

In the test tube, MI-4 was found to simultaneously increase the availability in the brain of three neurotransmitters that
play a key role in depression: serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. Researchers led by Jeffery N. Talbot of Roseman 
University of Health Science in Henderson, Nev., found that in mice that had been stressed and trained to expect no rescue 
from frightening circumstances -- a depression-like condition called "learned helplessness" -- MI-4 quickly restored more 
hopeful behavior and continued to do so for three weeks -- a lengthy stretch for a mouse.

Compared with a placebo medication, MI-4 made virtual social butterflies of mice who had been brought low by social defeat,
and whose depression manifested as withdrawal. And for a continuous three-week period, it helped fortify those mice against 
the soul-crushing effects of further social defeat.

MI-4 appears to have several advantages over ketamine, which, as a drug that induces a sort of out-of-body high when used at 
higher doses and is, therefore, considered to have abuse potential. Mice taking MI-4 were no more likely to hang out close to
the drug-dispenser than they were to wander around and explore and socialize -- a clear sign that its abuse or addictive 
potential is low.

ALKS-5461

URL: http://chipur.com/fe...-of-the-future/

ALKS 5461 is a proprietary investigational oral medicine for the treatment of MDD. ALKS 5461 has a novel mechanism of action in the treatment of depressive symptoms based on modulation of the opioid system in the brain, employing a balanced combination of agonist and antagonist components that act on opioid receptors, and includes a novel opioid modulator, samidorphan, discovered by Alkermes. Samidorphan was formerly referred to as ALKS 33. In October 2013, the FDA granted Fast Track status for ALKS 5461 for the adjunctive treatment of MDD in patients with an inadequate response to standard therapies.

GLYX-13

http://www.dddmag.com/news/2014/05/naurex%E2%80%99s-cns-drugs-hit-major-milestones 
works like ketamine by modulating the NMDA receptor, and like ketamine it works immediately. Glutamate based drugs seem to be the future of psychiatric medications.

NRX-1074

The objectives of the Phase 2a study now underway for NRX-1074 are to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a single dose of the compound administered to subjects with MDD. NRX-1074 is considerably more potent than GLYX-13 and, in preclinical studies, it has shown activity similar to GLYX-13, including signs of rapid onset and long-acting duration of antidepressant-like effect. The Phase 2a study of NRX-1074 follows successful completion of a randomized, placebo-controlled Phase 1 study in which NRX-1074 was well-tolerated by normal volunteers. It is Basically a stronger version of GLYX-13 in pill form.

BOTOX

Tal Medical lfms

LFMS uses an external electromagnetic coil to apply a time-varying magnetic field to the brain, which induces an electrical field. LFMS uses electric fields that are vastly different from the existing neuromodulation technologies, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS). The LFMS technology was licensed from McLean Hospital, a psychiatric research facility in Belmont, Ma.

Transcranial Pulsating Electro Magnetic Fields (T-PEMF)

In the latest trial, the results of which were published on April 15th in Acta Neuropsychiatrica, 65 patients burdened by 
seemingly untreatable depression were given the helmets to use for a period of eight weeks (they also continued taking 
their regular anti-depressant medication). 34 participants received a half hour dose of Transcranial Pulsating 
Electromagnetic Fields (T-PEMF) once a day and 31 had two half hour doses. All participants used the helmet in their own 
homes.

The device contains seven coils that deliver T-PEMF to brain tissues. The helmet’s principal architect, Professor Steen 
Dissing from Copenhagen’s Faculty of Health Sciences, reveals that the device “mimics electrical fields in the brain which 
trigger the body’s own healing mechanism.” The pulses activate cerebral capillaries that form new blood vessels as they 
imitate the brain’s own electrical signalling.

At the end of the trial, the 34 people who received one dose a day showed a 73% improvement in their wellbeing; the 31 
others who had two improved by 67%. The results surprised researchers who concluded that the biochemical process should 
not be forced. "You cannot keep pulsing," says Professor Dissing. “The release of growth hormones, and their synthesis in 
the capillaries, can only occur so fast. That's rate limiting,” he explains. Nevertheless, some participants felt the 
positive effects after just a week.

The pulses are so minute that the patient cannot detect any sensation, and the only side effect so far is occasional nausea 
that immediately disappears after treatment. The helmet also had the additional benefit of increasing patients’ tolerance 
for anti-depression medications.

T-PEMF could ultimately replace controversial electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) for some sufferers, a treatment graphically 
recalled in the writings of Sylvia Plath. It has been used for severe forms of depression since the 1940s.

Purmorphamine

CRF1 antagonist

Depression and anxiety disorders are highly prevalent forms of mental illness that are considered to be stress-related disorders because some form of stressful life event often triggers their symptoms. Corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) is a 41-amino-acid neuropeptide involved in mediating neuroendocrine, autonomic and behavioural responses to stress, and clinical studies provide evidence for the role of CRF in the development of depression and anxiety disorders. Two CRF receptor subtypes have been identified to date - the CRF(1) receptor and the CRF(2) receptor. Preclinical models provide evidence of a role for CRF(1) receptors in the activation of the stress response. Data from these experiments suggest that antagonism of CRF(1) receptor activity may provide an effective pharmacological treatment for stress-related psychiatric disorders. This review highlights progress to date with the development of CRF(1) receptor antagonists as potential pharmacotherapies for depression and anxiety disorders. Although additional research is needed to fully investigate the efficacy and safety profiles of CRF(1) receptor antagonists as candidate medications for these disorders, the results of preclinical experiments and clinical trials are encouraging. Further development of these compounds is warranted.

mTORC1 

url: http://www.newscient...ml#.U2wXLvldX4w

Duman thinks that REDD1 causes brain shrinkage by inhibiting the production of another protein called mTORC1. mTORC1 enables the production of a substance that brain cells use to repair themselves. Earlier work by the group showed that ketamine boosted the levels of mTORC1, providing one explanation for its antidepressant affects.
But if REDD1 is behind the reduction in mTORC1, targeting it directly could be a good treatment strategy, says Duman.
"Acute stress is a normal part of life, and you bounce back and that's fine," says Colleen Loo at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia, who is studying ketamine as a treatment for depression. "But the longer you're depressed the more likely you are to have shrinkage in the brain. This study is teasing out what are the molecular pathways by which stress translates to shrinkage of brain cells."

• like x 4
  • Informative x 3
  • WellResearched x 2

#2 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:09 AM

Wow, MI-4 sounds really great. I would love to get my hands on some of that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

Wow, MI-4 sounds really great. I would love to get my hands on some of that.

I would love to get my hands on any of these substances!  And or technologies :)

#4 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

I particularly liked this comment:

MI-4 made virtual social butterflies of mice

#5 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

Really great compilation of new depression therapies! Hopefully this will stimulate some interest with potential providers.

#6 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

^ I second what datrat said; great job!

I know of some myself, but the only ones I can recall right now are the mysterious pherin compounds: http://pherin.com/programs.html

I'll add more as I remember them.

edit: Ahh yes, LY2456302 of course: http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT01913535

LY2456302 basically does what ALKS5461 is trying to achieve as I understand it: enhanced antagonistic selectivity for the KOR.

Edited by formergenius, 10 May 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#7 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

Those look good formergenious I didn't see the as one because I guess I don't have that so it alluded my search :). I will look into them more and update it!

#8 mealz13

• Life Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Looking forward to the update, all this stuff looks great, I need some lol.

#9 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

Ok seems I can't edit posts here... slightly annoying... I will just add a few here I suppose.

NK-1

Clinical study results for neurokinin (NK) receptor antagonists in the treatment of depression have been mixed, with Phase III studies failing to fulfill the early promise demonstrated in Phase II studies. Casopitant, a selective NK1 antagonist that achieves nearly complete receptor occupancy was studied in 2 randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, Phase II trials in depressed outpatients to test the hypothesis that nearly complete NK1 receptor occupancy is required to achieve antidepressant efficacy. Study 092 used an interactive voice response system to recruit depressed patients with baseline Hamilton Depression (17-item, HAMD17) total scores higher than 24 who were randomized to fixed-dose casopitant 30 mg/d, 80 mg/d, or placebo for 8 weeks (n = 356). Study 096 required Carroll Depression Scale-Revised self-assessment scores of higher than 24 for randomization to casopitant 120 mg/d, paroxetine 30 mg/d (both reached via forced titration), or placebo for 8 weeks (n = 362). In study 092, casopitant 80 mg but not 30 mg achieved statistically significant improvement versus placebo on the primary outcome measure, week 8 last observation carried forward change from baseline HAMD17 (difference = -2.7; 95% confidence interval, -5.1 to -0.4, P = 0.023). In study 096, neither casopitant nor paroxetine achieved statistical separation from placebo at end point on HAMD17 (casopitant difference = -1.7; 95% CI, -3.8 to 0.4, P = 0.282). Casopitant and paroxetine were generally well tolerated in most patients. These studies suggest that NK1 antagonists that have nearly complete receptor occupancy may be effective in the treatment of depression.

Valdoxan

This one is available but not in the US... has anyone used this?

PH10

URL:  http://www.practiceu...e.com/news/2741

An investigational intranasal spray antidepressant known for now as PH10 shows early promise in addressing two major unmet needs in the treatment of major depressive disorder: faster-acting drugs with novel mechanisms of action.

PH10 showed a large antidepressant effect in a small phase II study after just 1 week, when the first scheduled assessment took place. Future studies will look for an antidepressant effect even sooner, perhaps as early as day 1 of treatment, Dr. Michael R. Liebowitz said at a meeting of the New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit sponsored by the National Institute of Mental Health.

PH10 is a proprietary pherine. The pherines are a class of intranasally administered psychoactive therapeutic agents that bind locally on nasal chemosensory receptors and trigger responses in the hypothalamus, amygdala, prefrontal cortex, and hippocampus. They have an excellent safety and tolerability profile, are effective in nanogram quantities, and do not circulate systemically in the blood. Instead, they initiate neural impulses that follow defined pathways in order to directly affect brain function, explained Dr. Liebowitz, professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University, New York.

He presented an 8-week, phase II, double-blind, single-site pilot randomized trial involving 30 patients with major depressive disorder. None had treatment-resistant depression. The participants were randomized to two self-administered inhalations in each nostril twice daily at a dose of 3.2 mcg/day of PH10 from a metered-dose spray device, or a high-dose group receiving 6.4 mcg/day, or placebo spray.

LY2456302 

URL: http://onlinelibrary...ph.286/abstract

Accumulating evidence indicates that selective antagonism of kappa opioid receptors may provide therapeutic benefit in the treatment of major depressive disorder, anxiety disorders, and substance use disorders. LY2456302 is a high-affinity, selective kappa opioid antagonist that demonstrates >30-fold functional selectivity over mu and delta opioid receptors. The safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics (PK) of LY2456302 were investigated following single oral doses (2–60 mg), multiple oral doses (2, 10, and 35 mg), and when co-administered with ethanol. Plasma concentrations of LY2456302 were measured by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method. Safety analyses were conducted on all enrolled subjects. LY2456302 doses were well-tolerated with no clinically significant findings. No safety concerns were seen on co-administration with ethanol. No evidence for an interaction between LY2456302 and ethanol on cognitive-motor performance was detected. LY2456302 displayed rapid oral absorption and a terminal half-life of approximately 30–40 hours. Plasma exposure of LY2456302 increased proportionally with increasing doses and reached steady state after 6–8 days of once-daily dosing. Steady-state PK of LY2456302 were not affected by coadministration of a single dose of ethanol. No clinically important changes in maximum concentration (Cmax) or AUC of ethanol (in the presence of LY2456302) were observed.

Botox

URL: http://www.medpageto...epression/45101

Botox injections to disable the facial muscles responsible for frowning were effective in relieving clinical depression in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial, researchers said.

Among 33 patients meeting DSM-IV criteria for major depression who were assigned to receive Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) injections, 17 (52%) showed decreases of at least 50% from baseline in Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) scores 6 weeks after treatment, compared with six of 41 (15%) injected with saline (P<0.001), according toEric Finzi, MD, PhD, of the Chevy Chase Cosmetic Center in Chevy Chase, Md., andNorman E. Rosenthal, MD, of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.

Clinical remission, defined as a MADRS score of 10 or less at final evaluation, was achieved by 27% of the Botox group versus 7% of the placebo group (P=0.03), Finzi and Rosenthal reported online in theJournal of Psychiatric Research.

Edited by ILIkeBeer, 11 May 2014 - 12:11 AM.

• like x 1

#10 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

TDCS

Researchers said Dr. Brunoni’s study is the largest to date of about half a dozen studies in recent years. It is the first comparing tDCS with another treatment — in this case, sertraline, or Zoloft. The study, involving 120 patients, found that tDCS appeared to work about as well as a low dose of Zoloft, and that combined with Zoloft, it worked better than the drug or the stimulation alone.

Zoloft and tDCS were equally safe. A few patients became manic, and some developed redness where electrodes were applied.

Researchers said much more study was needed, and that because the Zoloft dose was lower than what many patients use, it could not be concluded that tDCS works better than the drug.

But, Dr. Matthew V. Rudorfer, associate director for treatment research at the National Institute of Mental Health’s division of services and intervention research, said, “this report provides important further evidence for a possible therapeutic role of tDC stimulation in the treatment of depression.”

Has anyone ever tried this?  Trying to figure out the electrode placements for depression.

#11 Milkyway

• 132 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

There is a chemical manufacturer Tocris which claims to sell MI-4 a.k.a. Ro 25-6981 in small increments or in Bulk if anyone is interested and if this isn't all ready known.

#12 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

Do you know if Tocris will sell to individuals, or does it have to be a legitimate research institution?

#13 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Has anyone ever tried this?  Trying to figure out the electrode placements for depression.

http://tdcsplacement...cing_Depression

+

http://www.reddit.co...proving_mood.3F

• like x 1

#14 Milkyway

• 132 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

In response to datrat.  I do not know yet.  I emailed them asking this very question and am waiting for a response.  On the one hand in their contact form they require the name of the institution.  On the other hand they sell it in such miniscule quantities I don't know why a research institution would buy so very little.  Regardless, if they are manufacturing it then It would seem like the chemical structure has been disclosed and if nothing else a group buy could be orchestrated.  But that was not my reason for the post.  I am genuinely hoping they will make this available to individuals.  I will let you know what I find out.

#15 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

RGH-618

RGH-618 involves a series of compounds that target metabotropic glutamate receptors and are agonists, which represent potential agents for the treatment of anxiety, depression and other central nervous system (CNS) conditions. In March 2012, the Company initiated a Phase I study in healthy volunteers of RGH-618.

bli-1005

URL: http://www3.bio.org/...pdfs/313509.pdf

WF-516

Wf-516 is a potential novel antidepressant. It has high affinity for serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine; 5-HT) transporters, 5-HT(1A) and 5-HT(2A) receptors. In the present study, the pharmacologic properties of Wf-516 were thus assessed using in vivo electrophysiology in the rat dorsal raphe nucleus (DRN), locus coeruleus (LC) and hippocampus. Glass microelectrodes were lowered into the DRN, LC or hippocampus, and neurons were recorded and tested using systemic or microiontophoretic injections of drugs. In the DRN, cumulative doses of 0.5 mg/kg of Wf-516 were injected intravenously and total inhibition of 5-HT neurons firing was obtained with 2.8 +/- 0.3 mg/kg. The administration of 1 mg/kg of Wf-516, which by itself did not induce a change in the firing of 5-HT neurons, markedly attenuated the inhibitory effect of the 5-HT(1A) autoreceptor agonist LSD, indicating that Wf-516 is a 5-HT(1A) autoreceptor antagonist. In the LC, 1 mg/kg of Wf-516 dampened the inhibitory effect of the preferential 5-HT(2A) agonist DOI on norepinephrine (NE) neurons, indicating that Wf-516 is also a 5-HT(2A) receptor antagonist. In the hippocampus, cumulative intravenous doses of Wf-516 significantly increased the recovery time of firing activity of CA(3) pyramidal neurons after 5-HT applications, indicating an inhibitory effect on 5-HT reuptake. Unlike the 5-HT(1A) antagonist WAY100635, Wf-516 did not block the inhibitory effect of microiontophoretic application of 5-HT, indicating that this drug is devoid of 5-HT(1A) receptor antagonistic activity in this postsynaptic structure. These properties of WF-516 define the transporter/receptorial profile of an antidepressant with superior effectiveness.

TS-111

URL: http://www.taisho-ho...nual/13_all.pdf

IPX-237

https://www.anzctr.o....aspx?id=365077

I will admit there is not a lot out on these drugs they are very new... I got a ton more takes so much time :) Does anyone find this helpful?  I am kind of doing it also so I can keep track of this myself.

http://tdcsplacement...cing_Depression

+

http://www.reddit.co...proving_mood.3F

Thank you sir for that I will look into those links!

#16 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:37 AM

I would be very interested in getting some, so please keep us informed.

#17 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

Does anyone find this helpful?  

Yes -- thank you.

#18 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:18 AM

OK I got a few more for today... really wish they would let me edit my posts!  a couple of these look very promising!  The thing to keep in mind is there are so many medications with new methods of helping depression so everyone just need to wait a few years!

ANAVEX 1-41

URL: http://anavex.com/rn...depression.html

A new compound in the advanced preclinical phase for the treatment of depression and fatigue

Mode of action: ANAVEX 1-41 presents mixed pharmacological activity involving serotoninergic, sigma-1 and sodium channel components suggesting a prototype mechanism of action and representing a new class of anti-depressants.

Results to date: ANAVEX 1-41 exhibited an outstanding profile in the Forced Swim Test (FST) (80 – 100% of anti-immobility at 100 mg/kg, per os) suggesting anti-depressant properties that have not been observed so far with any of the currently available anti-depressants. In addition, ANAVEX 1-41 demonstrated anti-convulsive action (ED50 = 50 – 100 mg/kg per os).

Moving forward: The company has initiated scale-up manufacturing of ANAVEX 1-41, its second lead compound for a range of important CNS diseases. With sufficient quantities of ANAVEX 1-41 in hand we will be in a position to advance the program and begin preclinical studies on large animals in the near term. This is expected to take ANAVEX 1-41 an important step closer to Phase 1 trials in humans.

The required quantities of ANAVEX 1-41 will be manufactured by Syntagon AB under GMP conditions, the quality assurance system required in the production of medicinal products.

E-2508

URL: http://www.abstracts...a2-eebfa14cd9f1

Corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) is known as one of key mediators involved in stress responses, and has been suggested to play a role in stress-related disorder like anxiety and depression. CRF1 receptor antagonist is expected to be an anxiolytic medicine or an anti-depressant with a new mechanism of action. We have discovered E2508, a novel orally active antagonist of CRF1 receptor. E2508 inhibited the [125I]-CRF binding to human CRF1 receptor in a concentration-dependent manner, with a pKi 7.96 ± 0.08 (mean ± SEM), and inhibited CRF-induced cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) production in a concentration-dependent manner in HEK293 cells expressing the human CRF1 receptor , with a 50% inhibitory concentration (IC50) value of 24.9 nmol/L. These results indicate that E2508 is a potent CRF1 receptor antagonist in vitro. Next we found that orally administered E2508 inhibited the CRF-induced increase of ACTH in a dose-dependent manner in rats, with significance at 30 mg/kg. However, oral administration of E2508 did not affect plasma ACTH concentration at ≤ 100 mg/kg in normal rat. These results indicate that E2508 does not affect the plasma ACTH concentration in normal rats. Finally, the binding of E2508 to 75 various physiologically important cellular targets in vitro were evaluated. No significant binding of E2508 against any receptors was observed at either 1 μmol/L or 10 μmol/L. E2508 is a selective CRF1 receptor antagonist in vitro and in vivo, and is expected to be a new approach for the treatment of stress related disease like anxiety or depression.

NNI-351

URL http://www.neuronasc...-depression.htm

Neuronascent is developing therapeutics aimed at intervening at the level of reduction in neurogenesis in patients with chronic depression and anxiety. Our lead therapeutic candidate represents an exciting new class of drugs that is not a serotonin or norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, but one that complements those already on the market for noncompliant and refractive patients. In vivo preclinical proof of concept for this lead therapeutic candidate showed not only antidepressive  and anxiolytic activity, but also memory improvement not normally observed with an antidepressant. These behavioral benefits correlated with the long-term induction of new neurons, or neurogenesis, in a critical cognitive region of the brain.

Neuronascent’s lead candidate for depression is also the lead candidate for post-traumatic stress disorder, which may be observed along with depression, but is considered a separate disorder. In a mouse model of the disorder, NNI-351 reversed the deficits and improved anxiety to better than normal mice. 

Our lead candidate for depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, NNI-351, is in the preclinical phase of development, where we are initiating IND-enabling studies.

SKL-PSY

URL http://www.skbp.com/...ews_view_24.asp

Seoul, Korea — The South Korean pharmaceutical company, SK Biopharmaceuticals, announced that they entered into a collaboration agreement with PKU International HealthCare Group, China, and Shanghai Medicilon, China, for its novel new small molecule SKL-PSY that is being developed for the treatment of depression and bipolar disorder. 

SK Biopharmaceuticals and Shanghai Medicilon have been conducting various preclinical experiments for SKL-PSY since 2011. When its preclinical development has been successfully completed through the efforts of Medicilon CRO services, they will start clinical development with the newly-joined partners, Southwest Synthetic Pharmaceuticals and PKUCare Pharmaceutical R&D Center, both of which are subsidiaries of PKU International HealthCare Group. 

Unlike currently-marketed antidepressants that can require 2-4 weeks to become effective, SKL-PSY has a relatively quick onset of therapeutic effects in animal models of depressive and manic states. The molecule is expected to be effective for both mania and depression. Use in both indications can be problematic for currently-marketed antidepressants or other agents for the treatment of bipolar disorder. 

The combined current market size for antidepressants and treatments for bipolar disorder is estimated to be $39 billion annually. 

SK biopharmaceuticals, PKU International HealthCare Group, and Medicilon have agreed to start clinical trials following an Investigational New Drug (IND) application later this year. 

Dr. Christopher Gallen, CEO and President of SK Biopharmaceuticals, said, “Through this agreement, both SK Biopharmaceuticals and PKU International can achieve tremendous synergy through the combination of R&D competencies, know-how, and experiences that each company brings to the table. This agreement allows SK Biopharmaceuticals to further advance our efforts to become as a global leader in drug development and to have an excellent partner in the emerging Chinese market while allowing PKU International to advance as an innovator CNS Pharma in China.” 

#19 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:01 AM

Some of these treatments look very promising. But in medicine if you don't know the cause of a disease you are only treating symptoms. Palliative care is not healing and will do little for the underlying pathology. This lead to many wasted decades of useless care like SSRI's or electroshock therapy.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#20 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

Some of these treatments look very promising. But in medicine if you don't know the cause of a disease you are only treating symptoms. Palliative care is not healing and will do little for the underlying pathology. This lead to many wasted decades of useless care like SSRI's or electroshock therapy.

I don't know if you have depression and I am not depressed atm... but when I get bad I would cut my own arm off to feel better.... I think a lot of people would rather of course have a cure but if you can remove the symptoms that is a hell of a  big thing.

• like x 2

#21 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

NNI-351 MoA is that of a Dyrk1a inhibitor (Don't ask me what that means; I've never heard of it): http://www.patentbud...ent/20120277218
I'll look in to the others tomorrow, and possibly add some more myself. Thanks for posting :)

• like x 1

#22 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

NNI-351 MoA is that of a Dyrk1a inhibitor (Don't ask me what that means; I've never heard of it): http://www.patentbud...ent/20120277218
I'll look in to the others tomorrow, and possibly add some more myself. Thanks for posting :)

Thanks!  I was actually going to message you that one in particular because I know about your situation and that drug in particular seemed kind of what you might be looking for!  Thanks for your help.

#23 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:01 AM

I don't know if you have depression and I am not depressed atm... but when I get bad I would cut my own arm off to feel better.... I think a lot of people would rather of course have a cure but if you can remove the symptoms that is a hell of a  big thing.

I had depressive symptoms. But I was lucky enough to know the mechanism of injury and refuse the psychological diagnosis and treatment. I had an anterior pituritary injury and replacement of the missing hormones alleviated the symptoms. Like a diabetic as long as I take the replacement hormones I am normal again. A diagnosis of depression is nothing but symptoms and the cause of your depressive symptoms and mine are probably completely different.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#24 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

I had depressive symptoms. But I was lucky enough to know the mechanism of injury and refuse the psychological diagnosis and treatment. I had an anterior pituritary injury and replacement of the missing hormones alleviated the symptoms. Like a diabetic as long as I take the replacement hormones I am normal again. A diagnosis of depression is nothing but symptoms and the cause of your depressive symptoms and mine are probably completely different.

You are indeed very lucky!  I don't dismiss this I also have been taking tests and trying to get to the root of the issue... with no success unfortunately.. I know as well there is something wrong and all they would need to do is find it and I could be cured... the problem is the causes can vary so much and they are so reluctant to actually find  what is actually wrong... probably because they don't have a clue... anyhow I take an ssri and it fixes the situation until a better method comes along!

#25 sant2060

• 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

Well, that is YOU. As you say, underlying causes can be different, and there are people that just have screwed up neurotransmiter machinery.

Also, unless you got brand new pituary gland, you must take hormones for the rest of your life. And me, I was "down" for as long as I can remember, and can see similar patterns in my kid (growing up mostly with her mother), we both had no known injury...and I strongly suspect some kind of genetic fuckup. My mother was like that, her father also. Still not knowing how to fix genes, I will take "palliative" treatment wholeheartedly, especially if it helps me more or with less side effects as current antidepressants. After all, depending on a pathway, all this treatments do is similar to what your treatment does; bringing chemical messengers to more optimal level.

• like x 1

#26 sant2060

• 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

There is a chemical manufacturer Tocris which claims to sell MI-4 a.k.a. Ro 25-6981 in small increments or in Bulk if anyone is interested and if this isn't all ready known.

Can anyone find if this chemical was somewhat tested on humans? I could find mention of it dating back to 1997, but couldn't find any human trials.

• like x 1

#27 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

Has it been explained further how MI-4 (Ro-25-6981) works?

What i could find was that its an NMDA-antagonist, but i cant figure how it functions to increase availability of the monoamines, nor how it can work against social defeat.

• Agree x 1

#28 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

Nasal Spray for depression

a nasal spray that delivers a peptide to treat depression holds promise as a potential alternative therapeutic approach,
 research from the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) shows.

The study, led by CAMH's Dr. Fang Liu, is published online in Neuropsychopharmacology.
In a previous study published in Nature Medicine in 2010, Dr. Liu developed a protein peptide that provided a highly 
targeted approach to treating depression that she hopes will have minimal side effects. The peptide was just as effective
 in relieving symptoms when compared to a conventional antidepressant in animal testing. However, the peptide had to be 
injected into the brain. Taken orally, it would not cross the blood-brain barrier in sufficient concentrations.

"Clinically, we needed to find a non-invasive, convenient method to deliver this peptide treatment," says Dr. Liu, 
Senior Scientist in the Campbell Family Mental Health Research Institute at CAMH. With the support of a Proof of Principle
 grant from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Dr. Liu's team was able to further explore novel delivery 
methods.

The nasal delivery system, developed by U.S. company Impel NeuroPharma, was shown to deliver the peptide to the right 
part of the brain. It also relieved depression-like symptoms in animals.

"This study marks the first time a peptide treatment has been delivered through nasal passageways to treat depression," 
says Dr. Liu, Professor in the University of Toronto's Department of Psychiatry.
The peptide treatment interferes with the binding of two dopamine receptors -- the D1 and D2 receptor complex. 
Dr. Liu's team had found that this binding was higher in the brains of people with major depression. Disrupting the binding 
led to the anti-depressant effects.

The peptide is an entirely new approach to treating depression, which has previously relied on medications that primarily
 block serotonin or norepinephrine transporters.
Depression, the most common form of mental illness, is one of the leading causes of disability globally. More than 
50 per cent of people living with depression do not respond to first-line medication treatment.
"This research brings us one step closer to clinical trials," says Dr. Liu. In ongoing lab research, her team is 
experimenting to determine if they can make the peptide break down more slowly, and travel more quickly in the brain, to 
improve its anti-depressant effects.

Well one more :) still have quite a few more but need to dig up more information on them :)

#29 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

Has it been explained further how MI-4 (Ro-25-6981) works?

What i could find was that its an NMDA-antagonist, but i cant figure how it functions to increase availability of the monoamines, nor how it can work against social defeat.

This is really all I know.

The new study bolsters the evidence for MI-4's rapid effect and adds an exciting twist: MI-4 also works in the long term. Moreover, it may accomplish its long-term effects through a three-pronged approach known as triple reuptake inhibition, which refers to a drug's ability to simultaneously increase the levels of three key chemicals in the brain that are known to affect mood and feelings of pleasure -- dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin. Most depression drugs only target one of these chemicals, which may explain why they are not effective in all patients.

The researchers found MI-4 via "virtual screening," a method that uses computer modeling to find drugs that are likely to interact with particular receptors in the brain. "From looking at its structure, one would never have guessed that this drug interacts with the same monoamine transporter proteins as does Paxil or cocaine, but it does. That speaks to the 'needle in a haystack' detection power of the virtual screening methodology," said Christopher Surratt, Ph.D., a professor of pharmacology working on this aspect of the study at Duquesne University.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 Milkyway

• 132 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

I suppose we would need to find out what the intended dose is of Ro 25-6981 for a person.  It looks like they are coming out with many new things and that is good.  I just wish there were something coming that is truly regenerative or actually a treatment for depression as opposed to just being habit forming.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users