Awareness / Mindfulness

awareness focus distraction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hello folks,

Hopefully you wonderful people can help me with something I've been hoping to improve about myself. Firstly, a little background:

I'm naturally what you would call a little spacey, a daydreamer. My train of thought is easily derailed. I'll find myself during conversation or while walking around, digressing into other trains of thought, merely on the basis of a minor cue. I'll see a book sitting for example and it'll remind me of a prior conversation, I'll stand smiling or wearing the appropriate expression for the memory I'm recalling, rather than the conversation or situation I'm involved in at the time.

Perhaps a more succinct way of putting this is I'm easily distracted.

I find this affects my ability to interact with others, as I'm not always 100% tuned in to what is going on.

Similarly, I've very little awareness over my current posture or facial expression, meaning I could well be sitting smirking about a memory I'm recalling or something I'm thinking of saying and not even know it - not a good thing.

I'm looking to improve my focus and awareness and develop healthy habits of being more in touch with my surroundings and sensory input.

So far I've identified buddhist meditation as a possible help and I do definitely need to cut down on my use of stimulants (I'm an incessant coffee lover)

Does anyone have any other recommendations I haven't yet thought of?

Many Thanks,

C.

#2 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

The mindfulness meditation will be of great help. I recommend practicing mindfulness every waking moment. It is difficult to remember, but if you can make a habit out of it, it will become immensely useful. Otherwise, l-theanine could supposedly help due to its 'alpha-wave promoting effects'

I am also attempting to practice mindfulness, so I'll help us both out: Here are some helpful resources I pulled up in a quick search :)

1. 7 Obstacles to Mindfulness and How to Overcome Them

2. Wikipedia: Mindfulness#Buddhist Practice which goes over different traditional techniques - a good starting point if any sound interesting.

3. How to Practice Mindfulness (eHow)

4. A list of ways to practice mindfulness (I like this one! Very simple methods)

5. Practicing Mindfulness In Every Moment (Pretty in-depth and very traditional, but very good)

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: awareness, focus, distraction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users