- - - - -

hair loss DIY shampoo?

hair loss hair growth

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 panhedonic

• 390 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

I want to make my own DIY shampoo to stop hair loss and restart hair growth, thickening, etc.

So far I'm planning to add:

Ketoconazole

Aspirin

Caffeine anhydrous

What other ingredients would you recommend?

Is there any particular process that you would recommend for adequate dilution and scalp absorption?

Thanks,

#2 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

Besides simply adding crushed aspirin and instant coffee to my shampoo I also add Astragalus.

Apparently most of the molecules are too big to be absorbed topically, but the small molecules may get in.

The small molecules just happen to be the ones thought to be telomerase activators...  so mayhaps the skin acts as a 'sieve' to screen out the useless molecules and benefits from Astragalus?

Either way; it cant hurt.

I also remember something about resveratrol.  It may be worth Googling.

I just did and it looks interesting.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

Just take daily dutasteride 0,5mg orally, apply Rogaine or Kirkland twice everyday (why the hell DIY?? they're cheap and with no side effects, never mind the hypochondriacs-the same applies to dutasteride 0,5mg) and apply a shampoo with just ketoconazole 2% once every two days and after at most 6 months you will not lose any hair again.

I was supposed to have lost most of my hair by now (my father is completely bald, and i started losing massive hair at just 17, clearly about to follow my dad's footsteps) but after 10 years using these products i still have a head full of hair, with no bald spots whatsoever.

I say this because i do not believe in DIY shampoos that will be very effective. They will definitely not be nearly as effective as the combo i just listed above.

Now if you really want miracle results you will also add manipulated dutasteride and apply it topically, along with taking it orally every day. Dutasteride has very good topic absorption and it complements the combo nicely, neutralizing any DHT left in your scalp.

Edited by forever freedom, 16 August 2014 - 01:24 AM.

• Disagree x 1

#4 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Is there any evidence aspirin helps hair growth besides the idea that it will by inhibiting PDG2?

PGE2 has been proposed to protect from radiation-induced hair loss in mice (29), and both PGE2 and PGF2α have been shown to enhance hair growth in mice (20). Our studies show that prostaglandins are dysregulated in AGA, the most common type of hair loss in men. Specifically, PGD2 inhibits hair growth and thus represents a negative counterbalance to the positive effects on hair growth shown for PGE2 and PGF2α. ...This model also explains why agents such as aspirin, which inhibit upstream prostaglandin synthesis enzymes (PTGS1 and PTGS2), have minimal effects on hair growth because of likely equally decreased production of PGE2 and PGD2.

#5 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Is there any evidence aspirin helps hair growth besides the idea that it will by inhibiting PDG2?

PGE2 has been proposed to protect from radiation-induced hair loss in mice (29), and both PGE2 and PGF2α have been shown to enhance hair growth in mice (20). Our studies show that prostaglandins are dysregulated in AGA, the most common type of hair loss in men. Specifically, PGD2 inhibits hair growth and thus represents a negative counterbalance to the positive effects on hair growth shown for PGE2 and PGF2α. ...This model also explains why agents such as aspirin, which inhibit upstream prostaglandin synthesis enzymes (PTGS1 and PTGS2), have minimal effects on hair growth because of likely equally decreased production of PGE2 and PGD2.

Nope, but you can start a thread asking if anybody knows any bald aspirin addicts.  I don't...
ie:  the research may already be done and just in need of collecting.

#6 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

Nope, but you can start a thread asking if anybody knows any bald aspirin addicts.  I don't...
ie:  the research may already be done and just in need of collecting.

How much aspirin do you guys add per fl oz or ml ?

Also wouldn't it be better to add salisalicylic acid instead, or one of the salicylates that we typically see OTC topicals (i think it is usually methyl salicylate).

#7 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have worked up to 320mg of Aspirin in 400ml of shampoo.

At this level I feel a very slight burn to the skin after about 3-5 minutes, so wont be going higher.

It was me who found the study saying that Aspirin decreased PGD2 by 86%, but have no way of knowing if the same is true for salisalicylic acid.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:53 AM

Salicylic acid will cause skin to peel.  Stick with Aspirin.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#9 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

Salicylic acid will cause skin to peel. Stick with Aspirin.

I can agree with this. Salicylic acid is used a a type of chemical skin exfoliate. However at low concentration I don't see it doing that.

#10 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Who ever said needs reference.... It's not needed. Salicylic acid can cause skin exfoliation it's common knowledge at this point. The only thing is at what percent. At ten percent most will experience peeling. At one or two percent only some will.
  • Agree x 2

#11 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

There was a product for baldness that "worked" by skin peeling, it claimed results in 10 days.

If you can deal with the peeling then it could only be good. I used to notice that when my alc based Retin-A was making my head peel I would get bursts of growth.

#12 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

From: Prostaglandin D2 inhibits hair growth and is elevated in bald scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia.

Having gone into the whole Niacin for increased NAD+ thing and ways to avoid the Niacin Flush I must say that you are correct ta5.

Its seems that Aspirn will block the production of all Prostaglandins.
ie: PGD2 (also known as CRTH2), PGE2, PGF2α and others.
Now while PGD2 suppresses hair growth, the other do enhance it.
So what you need is a blocker specific to PPGD2, while upregulating PGE2 and PGF2α.

OC000459 and TM30089 are specific to PGD2/CRTH2.
http://www.hairlossh...MVIEWTMP=Linear

Sadly they are not as accessible as plain old Aspirin but there are sources mentioned in the link above.

The way to increase the others looks to be as simple as taking Niacin and has other extraordinarily good effects by increasing the expression of all the SIRTians.
http://www.longecity...es-again/page-1
  • like x 1

#13 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

"...It is interesting to note that α-tocopherol inhibits (pro-inflammatory) PGE2 production in macrophages, but enhances (anti-inflammatory) PGE2 production in endothelial cells..."
http://www.lmreview....isease-part-II/
  • like x 1

#14 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

Carbon 60 in Olive Oil 

http://www.longecity...experiment-log/

#15 Encoded222

• 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:30 PM

How about adding flush niacin to a shampoo? The increased blood flow should be beneficial for hair folicles.

Works at least with female alopecia:

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/17168873/

Edited by Encoded222, 31 July 2021 - 06:31 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hair loss, hair growth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users