beta-blocker withdrawal

propanolol

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

I need to go on a course of Propanolol while I await some better options for dealing with anxiety/akathisia. Unfortunately, it makes me very depressed/fatigued/apathetic, so I'm going to try limit the dose and time spent on it, but I'm worried about subsequent withdrawal. Does anyone know if there is a particular amount of time before issues of withdrawal might arise? Do beta-blockers require a slow taper? 

My planned dose is around 10mg-30mg a day, maybe for 3 weeks or so. 

#2 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

I don't think there is tolerance/withdrawal to beta blockers, you may want to slowly titrate down to avoid blood pressure spikes, but otherwise beta blockers are used to control blood pressure in the long term, so I think if tolerance is a problem it would be mentioned online which I can't find.

As it acts on the heart/vascular system, I don't think the rest of the body has tolerance mechanisms like the brain. You don't develop tolerance to anti histamines for example, if there is no tolerance there is no withdrawal. 10 to 30mg per day is low, half life of propanolol is about 3 hours, that would be like 10mg per dose? for stage fright dose is 20 to 40mg I think.

Of course I am no doctor, if you really want to know you should go ask a doctor about this tolerance question.

How about countering the tired feeling with raw cacao?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 NineLives

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Beta-blockers have WD symptoms, the beste way to avoid them is by tapering slowly. Search the net for more info because there is a lot. you can also try speaking to your doctor about adjusting the dose and don`t worry the side effects will get better in time.

#4 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

There is a rebound effect of blood pressure going up suddenly, but I don't see any tolerance related withdrawal symptoms online. 

#5 NineLives

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Well, here is a link to back-up my affirmations http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2883874

Edited by NineLives, 13 July 2014 - 12:09 AM.

• like x 1

#6 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Damn.

• like x 1

#7 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for your replies guys. Yeah, I guess I was wondering when beta-receptors start to upregulate/proliferate .. in other words, there's a considerable difference between a 1-week benzo course and a 3-month benzo course in terms of withdrawal symptoms (though I guess benzo withdrawal is a thing unto itself, but you catch my drift ...).

I suppose all I can really do is keep the dose low and minimize my time spent on it. 

Cacao is a good idea, Major Legend, but I'm not sure how it might affect my akathisia. I was thinking about trying the Uridine stack alongside the Propanolol. 

Edited by lucky.pierre, 13 July 2014 - 09:59 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#8 Ultravioletbllc

• 219 posts
  • Location:From Hartford (Just 1/1/2014) Moved too Boston (jamica Plains)

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

It all depends on the drug and not only what your taking them for but what quality or state of general Health you are in at the time as well , however as opposed to benzos

As a broad grossly encompassing statement I'd basically say that the comparison is a really bad one as benzos require a minimum of a month of Chrpnic daily use before rapid cessation will induce negative sides

( and also too answer your question about a timeframe )
BetaBlockers can cause a variety of side effects too occur after the drug has been mostly metabolized
Mainly rebound hypertension , and tachycardia

It's really dependent on the drug
I would only ever reccomend Propranolol out of personal experience and anecdotal evidence

I have also tried
Clonidine
And nadalol

The first for ADHD ( stopped w/ in first 2 weeks due too excessive side effects )
The latter I accepted from a pal too hold onto in case of emergency ( I'm an experimental character )

It's my firm belief at this point that unless your reason for taking a lol drug is Cardiac
You should stay away unless it's an emergency
But if you must ..... Then always use Propranolol (AGAIN assuming your not taking it for BP maintenance daily /Chronic angina )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: propanolol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users