Improving Mathematical skills with nootropic

math mathematics improvement improving mathematical

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Grandmaster

• 217 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Hello

English is not my native language so im sorry for any mistakes in writing. I have been using noopept for a month and Huperzine A for 1 and half a month. They have improved my memory a bit but my math skills are still bad. I want to know if there exist a nootropic that would incerase dramaticlly  my mathemticall skills? My memory is good but i have something like brain fog when i want to try solve a math or physics exercises :(

Regards

#2 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

http://goo.gl/9vrRdC

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

. His parents were both mathematics teachers from a vibrant intellectual community. His fascination with mathematics developed early—at the age of four, he could calculate in his head how many seconds a person had lived, given their age.   So he was like genetically mathematican, even without amphetamine he has great mathematical skills. There exist some nootropic that would made easy learning maths and logical thinking?

#4 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

I think low-dose amphetamine might be nootropic and only beneficial, but I have no clear idea. Certainly it's very effective and near unnoticeable doses probably do a lot. 

When I used low dose d-amphetamine I started at some point coming up with geometric metaphors to remember my ideas. There is a strong interest to draw parallels and distinctions between things. The metaphor machine (brain) starts to like its job and slightly start to disregard the lazy emotional pre-occupations.

Otherwise I am just starting the CILTEP stack, (Artichoke, forskolin, ALCAR). It seems to improve my willingness to reason. A mild stimulant effect. Very possibly some effect on testosterone (increase), which would then perhaps in turn increase spatial reasoning, and perhaps math skills. I have noticed some glimpses of improved memory, for some reason I started remembering a few phone numbers. 

(I take, 1/3 of a 10mg forskolin capsule (Life Extension brand), 500mg ALCAR (Swanson), 2x450mg artichoke extract (NOW).

Edited by Keizo, 14 July 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#5 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for your reply, i gonna find some info about CILTEP and maybe buy it.

#6 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

I think if you apply yourself continually there is little if anything that can beat that. In my opinion if you are going to do anything in life it should be tailored to either helping yourself and most importantly someone else because then of what value is it? High math skills is not essential for most people because we are not in the space business and we are not responsible for launching missiles and rockets and satellites but if that is your thing or developing better computers or teaching by all means practice, practice, practice your math skills. I am not sure that there will ever be a substance that will really propel someone towards an easy way of learning but the more you exercise your brain and don't abuse it then you are on your way.

P.S. There was one study I saw on YouTube where the scientist magnetically stimulated a students brain and followed up with the original test and the student significantly improved. All that is experimental though so again not sure about that...but I kind of like the idea and also light treatment because when I am in the sunlight and outside that usually boosts my mood because the sunlight's rays penetrate my skull and possibly do some electrical work on my brain and also fresh air is probably electrically charged because of the sun's rays so all that boosts the bodies electrical system.

Edited by Valor5, 14 July 2014 - 11:24 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#7 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

I´ve learned that NSI-189 increases brainwave patterns in the parietal region.

...Had significantly increased brain wave patterns in the hippocampal region of the brain. Specifically, qEEG measurements at Day 28 showed statistical significance between the treatment and the placebo group in the electrical wave patterns emanating from specific areas of the brain, namely the left posterior temporal lobe and parietal region (p<0.02)....

http://investor.neur...essive-Disorder

And I´ve read, that this region is involved in Mathematical skills

Increased gray matter density in the parietal cortex of mathematicians: a voxel-based morphometry study

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17921236

So, I assume that NSI could help with this.

Please correct me if I´m wrong because I´m not sure.

• WellResearched x 1

#8 Nootropic Milk Hotel

• 91 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I find amphetamines fantastic for some kinds of math and not so good for others. Sitting down with some Dexedrine and a whole bunch of integrals to solve is wonderful, but trying to devise a proof on speed can lead me to jump to conclusions too quickly and get mad at myself when it doesn't work right away. I'm a mathematics student, and so far no nootropics I have used have helped me significantly with mathematical thinking (except for things like memory and reducing anxiety). PRL-8-53 comes the closest, but I have only used it alongside amphetamines, and my friends who have tried it didn't get anything like the benefits I got from it. I haven't tried NSI or Cerebrolysin or any of those heavy hitters yet, or CILTEP

www.patrickjmt.com is a very good place for math videos; it has helped me a lot, at least with the more computational stuff. It's not a substitute for a good textbook, but hopefully it will help.

• Informative x 4

#9 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for informative post. Btw Mathematical skills depends on structure of the brain or what? Genetics?

Edited by Grandmaster, 16 July 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#10 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

If You are reffering to me:

No I wouldnt say that.

If You do exercise in Mathematics, then certain areas would get an increase in grey matter.

( increase means afaik, that there is a rise in synaptic density or neurons.

But I´m not sure whether there would be an increase the neuron number,

because the migration is afaik low from the SVZ and Hippocampus)

So, just as Mediatation does this to the PFC and Amygdala.

The Pfc shows some advanteges for Math skills.

See below

Although, I´ve read somewhere that there is sometimes  a difference of the used Brain area.

Some People use another Brainpart for Mathematics than other.

Unfortunaetly goggle wont help me to find this Article again.

So, if You are interrested, You could search for that.

Transcranial direct-current stimulation (TDCS)

Could be used as well for exercising, because it would stimulate the Pfc, as described.

http://www.nature.co...ilities-1.13012

Transcranial magnetic stimulation

would be an alternative, but its afaik not possible to build or buy Your own device.

http://en.wikipedia....tic_stimulation

Edited by Flex, 16 July 2014 - 11:05 PM.

• like x 1

#11 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

Regarding Transcranial magnetic stimulation:

I saw this on TV,a guy´s math ability rose when they stimulated his parietal cortex with Magnetic fields

#12 ModaMinds

• 83 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

Having been adept in high-level math for years, I don't really think there are nootropics that are just going to make you brilliant with math. You mentioned your memory has improved, and that's because you're using nootropics that are good for increasing memory. Increased memory is not important in math. Memory is important when you want to memorize some facts or information.

Math is all about reasoning. You often hear about two extremes: people who just "don't get math" and those who excel in math. In math, sure you can memorize some formulas, but a lot of high-level math is about building formulas and complex algorithms, not simply inputting numbers into existing formulas. Thus, reasoning. So you would need a nootropic that improves reasoning. Maybe iodine or creatine, but simply put, you have to learn to understand math in a way that makes sense to you.
  • like x 2

#13 Grandmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Flex thanks for informative posts :~  ModaMinds i know that math skills are depending on reasoning and logical thinking and that what i asked for. Btw you know any mathematical genius without good memory? John Von Neumann had super math skills and he had photographic memory, he could quote what he read minute ago etc etc. Photographic memory is greatest gift that mortal can get. So if there not any nootropic that would incerase exactly mathematical skills, can you write some nootropics that incerase logical thinking(so learning math is easier)

Edited by Grandmaster, 17 July 2014 - 08:26 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

James Harris Simons is a billionaire mathematician and hedgefund manager, with a seemingly less than stellar memory. A quote from the recent NYT article Seeker, Doer, Giver, Ponderer:

James H. Simons likes to play against type. He is a billionaire star of mathematics and private investment who often wins praise for his financial gifts to scientific research and programs to get children hooked on math.

But in his Manhattan office, high atop a Fifth Avenue building in the Flatiron district, he’s quick to tell of his career failings.

He was forgetful. He was demoted. He found out the hard way that he was terrible at programming computers. "I'd keep forgetting the notation," Dr. Simons said. "I couldn’t write programs to save my life."

Edited by Razor444, 17 July 2014 - 02:20 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: math, mathematics, improvement, improving, mathematical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users