• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

To what extent do health choices made when young effect one's health when older?

young old

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Y13N1

• 29 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

For example, how much would not exercising when young (say 20) effect risk of heart disease when older (say 60), given the amount of exercise done when older is kept constant? What about risk of cancer? Of other illnesses?

Please provide sources.

#2 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

To get answers to your question volunteer or intern for at least 3 months in a nursing home. I mean it. I work with elderly people since I am a geriatrician and it's only when seeing people at the end of their lives that you realize how your decisions affect your long-term quality of life. There is a HUGE difference between the bored obese and smoking 50- year old and the frugal eater 90-year old who is still interested by everything that happens in the world!

You won't actually think professional choices, education level, vices, purpose of life, family and frugal quality eating actually matter until you meet the few people who age like wine. Hint: they usually reach fourth age. All these choices leverage one another - although succumbing to aging, people over 90 years old are masters of survival compared to the rest of us. They have such a different world view - they are very self-confident without being arrogant or domineering. They won't take bullshit answers from you and they always ask questions and try to understand their world.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: young, old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users