Photo

Low testosterone and loss (not decrease) in libido in a 22-year-old male

low testosterone testosterone 20s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Axmann8

• 63 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Just a little background here. I'm a 22-year-old male, 5'11", ~200 lbs, I'm currently a nursing student. Quite a loner. Virtually zero real friends, etc. I was on SSRIs for years when I was young but been off of them for years now. I take Adderall ~30 mg daily for ADD-PI

I've always been able to get aroused quite easily (In fact, a couple of years ago I would've considered myself hypersexual. Got aroused quite frequently and had very little refractory period after orgasms.

Lately, say, within the last 6 or so months, I had noticed a profound decline in my sex drive. Not only that, but I had begun to have just a general sense of decreased focus and attention, melancholy/low energy, radical mood swings, headaches, among other things. Coming from a medical background, when I thought about all the symptoms together, I thought they were pretty characteristic of low testosterone. I had my doctor order the test.

My results just came back:

Testosterone: 201 ng/dL (Reference range: 241-827)
Free Testosterone: 55.8 (Reference range: 47-250)
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin: 15.1 nmol/L (Reference range: 16.5-55.9)

He just ordered follow-up tests for prolactin, LH, and FSH. Still waiting for the results (I'll update this later when they're in). Pending those results, I'll likely be sent to an endocrinologist.

So, being a bit of a hypochondriac and always the worrier, I'm all afraid I have high prolactin levels caused by a prolactinoma. I just can't think of anything else that would suddenly lead to such a low testosterone level in a 22-year-old with generally good health. I know the prognosis is extremely good and that most of them don't grow and can be treated, but it would still be the fact that I have a tumor in my head that would freak me the hell out.

An important aside: I've experimented with several nootropic supplements in the past (citicoline and l-theanine are the only two I have ever used over a clinically significant period of time; I used citicoline for quite a while), but have never even drank alcohol, smoked anything, or abused any substances.

Can you guys offer me any advice here? Any others here that were diagnosed with low T in their 20s, or even earlier (teens)? What was the cause, and how was it treated? Pros and cons of HRT with testosterone at my age? All of this is a lot to take in at the moment and it's making me really anxious. My first concern is whether this can cause any sort of cognitive deficits in the long term? Most of my hobbies involve intellectual pursuits and my grandma has alzheimer's with dementia and it's the saddest thing I've ever seen. I don't want to lose who I am.

Halp frown.gif

Edited by Axmann8, 04 August 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Dmonix

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

I got some low T when making some low carb diets.

I solve it on diet, good fats (omega 3, olive oil), onion, garlic, celery.

As supplements i am now on Fenugreek and Zinc Picolinate, it helps me too.

Currently i am using Noopept, Alpha-GPC and Theanine and notice a little decrease, don't know specificly which one could cause the low T, but i read that the problem with test comes by the Noopept.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Axmann8

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

My results came back; Prolactin was elevated, FSH and LH were normal.

I'm getting a brain MRI to rule out prolactinoma, then a referral to an endocrinologist.

In the interim, my doctor set me up with testosterone cypionate injections and an SSRI (lexapro). =/

#4 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

What ever came of your situation?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Axmann8

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:15 AM

No prolactinoma (that or it hadn't grown enough to see, lol)

I stopped the testosterone injections for a while, but I'm back on them now, and have been for a couple months.

I'm on a new antidepressant (Fetzima 80 mg) and Deplin (L-methylfolate). I'm also still taking Adderall. Taking Lunesta 3 mg every night to sleep.

See my other threads for more current updates on my situation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: low testosterone, testosterone, 20s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users