* * * * * 1 votes

Surviving Ebola, what can you do?

ebola

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#31 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

If you take all recorded ebola cases in all recorded history and compare to something like flu, you find that in around 3 days, flu kills more people than ebola ever has. It's the same for maleria.

Ebola is highly contageous but not easliy transmissable. ie. if you come in contact with it you are likely to get infected but coming in contact with it is unlikely. This mode of transmission in not likely to change significantly over time. Given this, it is unlikely to become a true epidemic as it is easily avoided and hence the spread stopped.

People here would be better to focus their efforts on preventing flu or any other common illnesses. Ebola may be fun and exciting for some to read about but it is not a survival strategy to waste time, resources and stress hormones trying to prepare for it.

A worst case scenario is that it spreads in high density poorer parts of the world and kills a significant fraction of those people and a much smaller amount of people around the rest of the world. As a person who is not living in any of those high risk areas and as someone who is educated enough to avoid infection even if in such an area, I see no reason to prepare. I will focus on other things like overall good health.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#32 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

3 people quarantined in India: Three persons from Ebola-affected Nigeria, who arrived here Saturday morning, have been admitted to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital for screening and treatment if required. The three Nigerians, aged 79, 37 and 4 years had fever and their tests were being done at the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Delhi, an official release said here. In addition to this, a 32-year-old Indian from Durg in Chhattisgarh who returned from Nigeria has been admitted to a hospital in Bhilai. His samples are also being tested at NCDC, the release said. WHO has said air travel, even from Ebola-affected countries, is low-risk for transmission of the disease. WHO has reported a total of 2,127 cases and 1,145 deaths due to Ebola from affected countries. –Times of India

Isn't this exactly what is supposed to happen? If someone arrives from an Ebola affected area, you either quarantine them prophylactically, or only if they are sick. We don't even know if any of the people in this article have Ebola.. Honestly Ark, are you just trying to scare people? Give it a rest.
This is the Ebola thread, I believe it to be a real global threat to be aware of and to prepare for. Your down playing the size and the scope of this and it makes zero sense.

#33 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

This thread is idiotic. The threat to the first world from Ebola is negligible. It's being used by xenophobes and racists to stoke fear among the ignorant, and as we all know, fear is a powerful tool for manipulating the public. Let's stop all this useless talk about protecting ourselves with herbal cures, and instead talk about how easy it is to NOT get Ebola. Just don't have physical contact with people who are infected. That's it. Done.

Stop empowering creeps like Donald Trump.

I agree Niner, but I for one have been and will be working in places like Sierra Leone, Congo/DRC (during 1st outbreak), Zimbabwe, Mozambique.

Practical ways to avoid and/or fight infection by lipid coated pathogens is important to members based in the 3rd world. as its half the battle won if one is exposed to something nasty.

I have also had all available inoculations done.
When/if you or anyone else goes to a potential hot stop in Africa, this may come in handy handy to scan people's temperatures around you for a fever,with a modification you can buy for iPhones. The flir will work especially well,if your inside of a crowded air conditioned room or bus. http://www.flir.com/US/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#34 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

3 people quarantined in India: Three persons from Ebola-affected Nigeria, who arrived here Saturday morning, have been admitted to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital for screening and treatment if required. The three Nigerians, aged 79, 37 and 4 years had fever and their tests were being done at the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Delhi, an official release said here. In addition to this, a 32-year-old Indian from Durg in Chhattisgarh who returned from Nigeria has been admitted to a hospital in Bhilai. His samples are also being tested at NCDC, the release said. WHO has said air travel, even from Ebola-affected countries, is low-risk for transmission of the disease. WHO has reported a total of 2,127 cases and 1,145 deaths due to Ebola from affected countries. –Times of India

Isn't this exactly what is supposed to happen? If someone arrives from an Ebola affected area, you either quarantine them prophylactically, or only if they are sick. We don't even know if any of the people in this article have Ebola.. Honestly Ark, are you just trying to scare people? Give it a rest.
This is the Ebola thread, I believe it to be a real global threat to be aware of and to prepare for. Your down playing the size and the scope of this and it makes zero sense.

It doesn't mean that people hqave to accept your views and keep quiet on the matter - thats the whole point of a forum. I believe that significant harm can be caused by causing an unnecessary panic and people will be skeptical when it really does matter. You put your alarmist views across and people like niner and I try to put things in perspective. Hopefully people can then judge for themselves.

• like x 1

#35 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

I hope your right, let's not make this about us ok?

#36 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

Do you think that Ebola is going to come to America and become an epidemic here?   The odds of that are approximately zero.  You are acting like this disease is a threat to the first world, and it just isn't.   If you want to talk about the kind of chaos it could cause in a city like Lagos, then I'm in complete agreement; that is a real danger.  I think that the first world should be deploying a shitload of resources to Africa in order to get this thing under control.  Leaving it to a handful of MSF volunteers is frankly unconscionable.  I just don't think that stoking fear in the first world is appropriate.

#37 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:25 AM

How much of this mortality rate can be attributed to the health and wellbeing of the person before they are infected?

Perhaps I am stereotyping but in places like Sierra Leone, I cant imagine their overall health is as good as ours and their nutrition and water is also pretty sub standard.

Influenza and the complications that can follow kills tens of thousands of people each year. No one seems concerned about that. Plenty of other nasty diseases without cures going around already in our parts of the world we could worry about instead. Yes Ebola is nasty and kills but a figure of 90% mortality in a developed country full of healthy people seems a bit over the top. Its not even that high anymore in developing countries.

When the swine flu came out I thought the scare mongering was a joke. It seemed like a mild version of the flu we get going around each year yet such a big deal made about it and every death reported around the world. At the same time the 'regular' flu was doing far more damage. It certainly propped up the medical research companies, the drug makers and the people who sell face masks and stimulate parts of the economy though. I'm guessing the same thing is happening now. Governments and Pharma are preparing for a huge scare campaign.

#38 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:02 AM

Do you think that Ebola is going to come to America and become an epidemic here? The odds of that are approximately zero. You are acting like this disease is a threat to the first world, and it just isn't. If you want to talk about the kind of chaos it could cause in a city like Lagos, then I'm in complete agreement; that is a real danger. I think that the first world should be deploying a shitload of resources to Africa in order to get this thing under control. Leaving it to a handful of MSF volunteers is frankly unconscionable. I just don't think that stoking fear in the first world is appropriate.
Let's get back on topic, for fun...let's talk about the Ebola protocols and we shall wait and see, if I'm wrong you can call a fear mongering xenophobic racist. But until this is over I think we should put our difference in opinion aside and try to put together useful information for those who need it in Africa.

Edited by Ark, 18 August 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#39 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

When starting this thread, it was my hope that everyone could benefit from it, 1st world or 10th. My initial posts may not have reflected this for whatever reason (probably b/c most of what I mentioned is stuff available in the 1st world), but if the conversation can help someone let's have it. I'd love for LC to find something useful in a haystack that saves lives the world over. We should inspire everyone, plus we're a global community with people from all over the world and the 3rd worlds eventually grow in the 1st. It's just a matter of time until we only have a 1st world.

• Agree x 1

#40 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Do you think that Ebola is going to come to America and become an epidemic here? The odds of that are approximately zero. You are acting like this disease is a threat to the first world, and it just isn't. If you want to talk about the kind of chaos it could cause in a city like Lagos, then I'm in complete agreement; that is a real danger. I think that the first world should be deploying a shitload of resources to Africa in order to get this thing under control. Leaving it to a handful of MSF volunteers is frankly unconscionable. I just don't think that stoking fear in the first world is appropriate.
Let's get back on topic, for fun...let's talk about the Ebola protocols and we shall wait and see, if I'm wrong you can call a fear mongering xenophobic racist. But until this is over I think we should put our difference in opinion aside and try to put together useful information for those who need it in Africa.

If you're wrong about what?  You didn't answer my question- Do you think Ebola is a danger to the first world?  I didn't call you a xenophobe or a racist.  I did accuse you of fear mongering.  One of your posts was a video of lurid conspiracy theory that was so irresponsible that I took the extraordinary step of deleting it.  It not only had nothing of value in it, but it was harmful, particularly to the people you claim to want to help- The Africans whose suspicion of Westerners is so extreme that they will drag sick people out of makeshift clinics in order to "protect" them.    BTW, did you even bother to read the post you  just responded to?

#41 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

If you're wrong about what? You didn't answer my question- Do you think Ebola is a danger to the first world? I didn't call you a xenophobe or a racist. I did accuse you of fear mongering. One of your posts was a video of lurid conspiracy theory that was so irresponsible that I took the extraordinary step of deleting it. It not only had nothing of value in it, but it was harmful, particularly to the people you claim to want to help- The Africans whose suspicion of Westerners is so extreme that they will drag sick people out of makeshift clinics in order to "protect" them. BTW, did you even bother to read the post you just responded to?
Your out of line, tired of tug a war with you bud. Have a nice day, I'm not going to argue with you, to me your coming off as a moderator who's posing as a Ebola Expert. Re-read my post I've already answered you and moved on, you should too.

Attached Files

• dislike x 1

#42 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

And why exactly did you repost that fear mongering cartoon?   If you want me to "move on", then stop fear mongering.

#43 pleb

• 462 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

You don't have to be an Ebola expert. The figures tell it as it is not the sensational headlines in the press.

#44 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Your welcome to call it fear mongering when the threat is over, Your oversimplifying the threat out of fear or fear of fear? Plus your assuming people need you to think for them. People should be able to come to there own conclusions on the threat possibilities and people should just be able to read both ends of the spectrum with out censorship regardless of the information as long as it's on subject. I just want my views to be respected whether you agree with me or not.

Edited by Ark, 18 August 2014 - 01:38 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#45 pleb

• 462 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

And your welcome to call it a threat when it becomes one. Your entitled to your opinion but that also applies to those who disagree with you. But unless your planning a trip to the countries involved its still a none event in the developed countries.
  • Agree x 1

#46 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Or you can listen to a "REAL" expert on what the 1st world threat level is. Instead of pretending it's all a joke.

Edited by Ark, 18 August 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#47 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

And your welcome to call it a threat when it becomes one. Your entitled to your opinion but that also applies to those who disagree with you. But unless your planning a trip to the countries involved its still a none event in the developed countries.

Attached Files

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#48 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Or you can listen to a "REAL" expert on what the 1st world threat level is. Instead of pretending it's all a joke.

You mean Ken Isaacs, the VP of Programs and Government Relations?  Is HE the "REAL" expert that we're supposed to listen to?  He's trying to get people to pay attention to what is a serious third world crisis.   He's an expert at disaster assistance, particularly in the third world.  He's not a doctor, infectious disease expert, epidemiologist, or other scientist.  Sorry, but I have to take what he's saying with a grain of salt.   You don't appear to read anything I write, or else you don't comprehend it, but I'll ask anyway:  Who thinks "it's all a joke"?  I just said that it was a major problem in Africa.

You don't seem to know how Ebola is transmitted.   If you did, you wouldn't be acting like this or reposting scaremongering cartoons.  Why don't you read up on it?  Here's the relevant passage:

Human-to-human transmission can occur via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids from an infected person (including embalming of an infected dead person) or by contact with contaminated medical equipment, particularly needles and syringes.%5B17%5D Semen is infectious in survivors for up to 50 days. Transmission through oral exposure and through conjunctiva exposure is likely%5B18%5D and has been confirmed in non-human primates.%5B19%5D The potential for widespread EVD infections is considered low as the disease is only spread by direct contact with the secretions from someone who is showing signs of infection.%5B17%5D The quick onset of symptoms makes it easier to identify sick individuals and limits a person's ability to spread the disease by traveling. Because dead bodies are still infectious, some doctors disposed of them in a safe manner, despite local traditional burial rituals.%5B20%5D

Edited by niner, 18 August 2014 - 06:29 PM.

#49 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

You mean Ken Isaacs, the VP of Programs and Government Relations? Is HE the "REAL" expert that we're supposed to listen to? He's trying to get people to pay attention to what is a serious third world crisis. He's an expert at disaster assistance, particularly in the third world. He's not a doctor, infectious disease expert, epidemiologist, or other scientist. Sorry, but I have to take what he's saying with a grain of salt. You don't appear to read anything I write, or else you don't comprehend it, but I'll ask anyway: Who thinks "it's all a joke"? I just said that it was a major problem in Africa.

You don't seem to know how Ebola is transmitted. If you did, you wouldn't be acting like this or reposting scaremongering cartoons. Why don't you read up on it? Here's the relevant passage:

Human-to-human transmission can occur via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids from an infected person (including embalming of an infected dead person) or by contact with contaminated medical equipment, particularly needles and syringes.%5B17%5D Semen is infectious in survivors for up to 50 days. Transmission through oral exposure and through conjunctiva exposure is likely%5B18%5D and has been confirmed in non-human primates.%5B19%5D The potential for widespread EVD infections is considered low as the disease is only spread by direct contact with the secretions from someone who is showing signs of infection.%5B17%5D The quick onset of symptoms makes it easier to identify sick individuals and limits a person's ability to spread the disease by traveling. Because dead bodies are still infectious, some doctors disposed of them in a safe manner, despite local traditional burial rituals.%5B20%5D

I've seen all your info and I still stand by Ken on this.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#50 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

In fact if I were Mr.Isaac I doubt you'd even post half of the jaded information your the biggest non-alarmist I've seen to date on this subject.
  • Ill informed x 1

#51 pleb

• 462 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Nooo . I'm the biggest none alarmist cos Africa's nearer to me than niner :>)

Edited by pleb, 18 August 2014 - 09:04 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#52 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Yeah well, I guess it's better to be a panicked alarmist.  That's where good decisions come from, right?  Continue watching Russia Today.   A great source for reliable unbiased news...

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Agree x 1

#53 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Edited by Ark, 24 August 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#54 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

http://www.npr.org/2...g-at-70-percent
  • dislike x 1

#55 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Ark, have you bought your moonsuit yet?   With all those African Ebola victims sneaking in through our Porous Borders that Ben wisely alerted us to, it's only a matter of time until the foolishly unprepared sheeple are all dead. 

• Enjoying the show x 2

#56 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

http://www.npr.org/2...-in-west-africa
  • dislike x 1

#57 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

http://www.nature.co.../srep05452.html
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • dislike x 1

#58 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

#59 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

http://www.nature.co...spreads-1.15777

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#60 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Possible treatment protocols that are currently available. http://mobile.nytime...?referrer=&_r=0

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users