• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ginjer29

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Hi,

I first posted in the intro forum.

I have been diagnosed with  cerebral vascular disease. I am showing white matter lesions all over my brain.  It seems I had a stroke some time ago.  They can't tell when.  I never experienced anything like the classic symptoms of stroke so I am at  loss. I have no visible effects of a stroke.

I have been tested and am showing short term memory loss, reduced processing speed, extreme fatigue and trouble focusing.  My job requires that I address these symptoms.  I manage a team.  They have complained of my lack of memory. I can't retain.  They tell me we have the same conversation over and over.  I do not recall this happening.  I'm 47 years old.  I have a daughter to put through college.   I can't afford to lose my job and my health coverage. .

I was prescribed Namenda first.  It has helped some. I am on 28mgs extended release.

I am also on Nuvigil which has really helped with the fatigue. 250 mgs. Adderal and Ritalin did not help. I was not unhappy they didn't work.  I didn't want to be on either.   

I was then prescribed Exelon.  That didn't help at all. I'm no longer on that.

I was recently prescribed Aricipet. 5mg to see if it helped. .

I am on Wellbutrin for depression.  300 mgs

Lamotrigine 100 mgs for bipolar which only manifested a few years ago.

I have been told that nothing else can be done for me as far as medication.  This is unacceptable to me.  I have looked at what nootropics are out there.. I am overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information there is to be had.  I don't know where to start first. 

I am hoping someone or many someones can help me to determine what I can add to my meds to help improve cognitive function with the meds I'm currently on.

I know most of you guys aren't doctors.  I am asking for the benefit of your experience to figure out which nootropics I should look at address the symptoms I have.  Maybe something (s) to increase the efficiency of the meds I'm on. 

I am open to suggestions and welcome any help you can give me. 

Thank you,

Ana

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

off the top of my head, i remember reading a bit of research regarding hydergine and cerebral vascular disease. however, i'm not sure if its still readily available, i think there have been some manufacturing difficulties as of lately. piracetam is the most heavily studied nootropic, and is often prescribed in other countries for dementia. it is also very cheap, at a dosage of 5 grams, 4-times a day. Beyond that, you could look into oxiracetam, colouracetam. cerebrolysin is a more expensive nootropic peptide, you have to inject it (which is simple) and lots of people have had good results from it..

additional nerve growth factors such as curcumin, egcg (green tea extract), regular exercise, lion's mane mushroom, dha fatty acids from fish oil, ashwagandha... possibly rhodiola for your fatigue.

I'm sure there will be some other more helpful answers, but these are just a few substances to consider looking into

there is a lot of additional information here: http://www.lef.org/p...t-prtcl-031.htm

Edited by Adaptogen, 19 August 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#3 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

You are not old enough to have vascular dementia. Were you taking other prescription meds or had vaccines, antibiotics (especially Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, and Tequin, Z-pack...) prior to the onset of the problems? From the drugs they tried, it is clear they are clueless, bumbling in the dark (or covering for previous damage with other drugs or treatments), making problems worse and turning you gradually into a lifelong subscriber to their goods & services.

In any case, you may wish to try Liposomal Vitamin C, which should in any case improve vascular health, help detox (including antibiotics, heavy metals) and reverse damages from variety of autoimmune or inflammatory conditions. Info: article1 and article2 by MD, Liposomal C wiki which has instruction for DIY recipes (requires kitchen blender & small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner besides lecithin & sodium ascorbate), and numerous user experiences (see sample below). Besides vitamin C (best is to use sodium ascorbate), the other main ingredient, lecithin (I use non-GMO sunflower lecithin), being a choline source and  a building block for myelin is used on its own to help against memory & cognitive issues. Since I started making it and using (for about a year now) it has resolved some chronic inflammatory problems and pretty much replaced all other nootropics and supplements (I stil take some CoQ10, ALCAR & L-Tyrosine). I first learned about it from another health forum, where a user "dominicus" (see below) started a thread with provocative title "I make my own liposomal vit C. This stuff is frickin AMAZING!!!!!", which initially brought general ridicule, but then as one after another forum participant tried it, s/he would become instant believer. Within couple months all participants were making it and evangelizing about it (few of them created later the wiki above).

USERS EXPERIENCES

dominicus, "Since i started it last week, its been like drinking coffee all day long. I have vast reserves of energy, 10 miles a day on the bike, or 40 mins of cardio, my stamina is awesome, my recovery time from exercise awesome. I gave to one of my cousins who is tired all the time, and the next day he jumped on his mountain bike and did 25 miles in 95 degree weather, parked his bike, and walked 2 miles to my house to celebrate this awesomeness with a few Belgian beers. This has been by far the best thing i have ever taken supplement wise. My grandma had a bad flu, gave this to her and the next day she vacuumed her whole apt, did laundry, dishes, and cooked and shes 80 years old and said this vit C stuff is frickin awesome and takes it daily now. It has also given me vast sexual energy and random erections like as if i have ate a bunch of ginseng. I cant give enough thumbs up to this stuff"
"I gave this stuff to my 80 year old grandmother w the flu and she cleaned her whole house the next day. My cousin took some and rode 25 miles on his bike. Me and 3 of my family members are swearing by the awesomeness of this stuff and now MegaMind, another member of this thread, has also made his own, taken it, and him and his gf are already feeling benefits that they otherwise didn't feel from regular oral vit c. Something is definitely up with this vit c combo and its been the supplement that i have felt the biggest and bestest difference with. Its literally changed my life for the better in the last 8-9 days, and i came into this as a skeptic"

ColeYounger, "The first positive effect that I experienced (as did MegaMind) was a noticeable improvement in my vision. I have near 20\20 vision, but it's sharper now. It's obvious. That alone would probably be incentive to use it.
Also have more energy, but at the same time am feeling calm, with a sense of well-being. (Unlike caffeine)
(I'm usually grouchy and irritable, as I have a chronic pain issue from 2 herniated lumbar discs years ago. I posted earlier in the thread about my using apple cider vinegar. The acv has done wonders for my joint pain and arthritis.)"
posted on 5-6-2012 @ 09:01 AM this post
"I've waited a couple days before posting again because I elicited some comments from cynics who told me I was experiencing the placebo effect. Fair enough... I wanted to put it to the test a bit more. Aside from experiencing more energy, I reported a sense of "well-being". I can see how that comment brought out the skeptics. A "sense of well-being" is a vague description that sounds very psychsomatic... like I was indeed convincing myself that the mixture was 'working'.
I took the liposomal C last Friday, then again Saturday and very early Sunday. I didn't take the mixture yesterday(Monday) I wanted to see how I'd feel, having laid-off the mixture for a full day. I explained a ways upthread that I have chronic pain and chronic fatigue from a combination of back\neck\hip injuries.
I took a dose (1 teaspoon) three hours ago. Results are impressive. My energy levels are incredible. The sense of well-being is here again. It's almost drug-like. It's so wonderful to have this energy but at the same time feel calm. The mixture also definitely boosts vision. (very non-medicinal terminology, sorry)
Once again, thanks dominicus!"

MegaMind, "This stuff is unfreaking believable! Phenomenal! The contrast to what I felt 2 days ago is literally like night and day. My physical strength is much improved and recovery time greatly reduced. I've been lugging around 7 gallon water cans (full) today. My mind is razor sharp. Vision crisp. And energy level? I'm bouncing off the walls!
I know that this new feeling will eventually become my norm (and God won't that be nice) and the initial contrast to the way I was will fade. But holy crap I can't even believe how thick my brain fog was before. I can't hardly believe that it is possible to feel this good. I am so glad I found this. No supplement - juicing - or the countless things I have done has ever had this kind of impact. I really did not expect these kind of results. I thought the OP was probably exaggerating. Now I think he is understating the truth. You know if you're in top condition it may not affect you the way it has me. For me this is nothing less than a miracle.
You know I am simply amazed. Its day 5 and my mind is so clear. My dreams have even been different in a way that's hard to explain. My sleep is deeper and more restful. My body's joints seem to move easier. I never felt like they were stiff before but somehow they feel like they are well oiled.
Last night I was up late and was able to read and focus without the usual dulling that occurs. Looking back on the way I was just last week I think about how tired and sleepy I was - all the time. Sleep was never very good. My mind was definitely in a serious brain fog. Last week when reading something I wrote many years ago I worried that my mental capacity was diminishing - that I wasn't as sharp and quick minded as I used to be. Now I feel like my former self from many years ago. Its wonderful."
"I got a report back from another person I got to try it. They said it made their stomach feel flat - in other words no bloated feeling that they usually have. I too can confirm that has happened to me also. I frequently suffer from severe bloating after meals and I have noticed that the vit c formula seems to have prevented this from occurring. Also many times after taking it before a meal I get very hungry, then while eating I get really full (earlier than usual) and can't eat anymore. I'm guessing its all related. I have no idea what dynamic is causing that but its a welcome change."

Sirric, "Update ... It's been 3 hours since we took our concoction and my wife and I are feeling way more energetic than we should this time of day. I am finding myself moving around the house randomly and my spousal unit is prancing around in a much higher state of enthusiasm, she is clearly affected by this.
So far, we both agree that we have much more energy, like caffeine intake, but without the shakes associated with that feeling. Eyesight is the same for me and the bathroom feeling is subdued for now. I do find myself zoning a lot more too.
If this is a placebo effect, It is a first for me since I've done lots of remedies and none have provided as quick as this response and accurate feeling that other report so clearly. I'm sold! For me, this is the real deal and I'm flabbergasted about the results as I was skeptical anything would really happen. Thank you Dom for introducing this to me."

OblivionGate, "Well, day three of my lipo-c regiment and I feel absolutely fantastic! Besides the increase in energy I feel, my lower back pain is almost non-existent, and I can roll out of bed in the morning without having to ratchet my back straight. I'm less stressed at work and have far more energy to expend on my kids than usual. I have even noticed more clarity in my thinking, as well. I will report back in a few days with more updates. Hope everyone is well. "

BlueSquid, "This thread came along at the perfect time for me. My allergies were so severe this year. I looked for some advice on the internet, and discovered vitamin C as a histamine destroyer. Started taking mega doses, and felt immediately better."

Sabreblade, "Well it's been three hours, second day in and I still got nothing. And my shoulder/neck is even bothering me, feels like a pulled muscle. I'm considering taking another tablespoonful before lunch to see if that has any effect. That would be four hours apart. Maybe I am not taking enough since before starting this I usually take 5-10 grams of C a day orally anyway."

Amandia, "I´m going to take double dosage tomorrow, because energy weared off at one point and I fell asleep, but this is typical for my ADD, if I dose stimulating things wrongly or they just wear off. I took another 2 tablespoons about 14 p.m, then went cycling, felt fine, but later, about 19-20 got sleepy.
But the huge different from all other stimulants is my inner feeling. To my surprise it makes me more social. Not more talkative, but friendlier, more patient, interested in people, relaxed in public places. If I´m tired and feeling low energy, then I usually don´t want to communicate much and if I overuse stimulants, then I feel impatient and a bit agitated. Of course not all the time, but sometimes it´s very annoyingly hard to be balanced and genuinely interested while communicating. The feeling I have had all day today I´d describe best as "friendly and relaxed". Really interesting! I had sharper thoughts and more energy first part of the day and now I´m a bit sleepy, but inner feeling is still the same. I love this stuff so far

mtiger92, "Update on my dad's battle with kidney cancer: I initially started my dad on 100ml of MegaMind's formula for Liposomal Vitamin C. I estimate his daily dosage at roughly 6.3gm per day, divided in two daily doses. As I was draining the fluid from his chest tube this evening, he mentioned to me that his nose bleeds have completely stopped. Before the therapy was started, my dad had really bad cracked sinus passages, and he was constantly blowing his nose with bloody mucous. I confirmed that he did have reall dry, cracked sinus and nasal passages. I also noticed a complete absence of coagulated, clotty blood discharge from the drained fluid. While the fluid still had a bloody hue, it had zero clots or coagulation. His energy levels have increased, and he admitted to being able to completely recline on his Lazy Boy without coughing. All this is tremendous, given his prior symptoms and overall #ty feeling. I am going to increase his dosage to 8gm per day in two divided doses. He tolerated the 6.3gm dose without any problem, so I am going to increase his dosage and adjust for any side effects."

AlanQaida, "I believe the batch I made today is better, I have had no signs of diarrhea or stomach cramps, about 45 minutes after taking it I did get a small bout of cold sweats then again at 12am, and did smell a bit like the formula, however I had a sudden energy boost at both times of sweating, so I guess that's just my body metabolizing the vC? Also noticed no joint pain, I feel extremely alert, and I had a small meal for dinner and felt quite full but without bloating (same as previous poster).
All in all I feel wonderful, in delivering a couple of batches to some friends tomorrow who are really looking forward to trying it, so hopefully they also have positive results!
ETA: I also forgot mention, i have been urinating frequently during the night, I haven't drank much liquid before leaving for work, and had 1, 600ml drink all might but probably passed roughly 2 liters of urine during the night, I don't feel dehydrated at all either, excess maybe? It was clear and had no odor at all.. TMI?
gave my friend some last night, he has been sick for the last week with the flu, he sent me a message at 10 am this morning telling me he has got his dinner ready for tonight, vacuumed his floor, and done his washing. and said he feels amazing, hasn't even coughed once today!"

Thaxter, "I thought the same would be true for me, as I routinely take 6 to 7 mg a day. Well, on my first day I dove in and drank 1 ounce. I then *tried* to drink another ounce shortly after but felt I should go slowly instead.
Later in the day I began to take a tablespoon with water at work, and on two occasions I could feel my body felt kind of nauseous, like, "That's enough!" No diarrhea though.
I think over the course of the first day I took only 2 ounces, and that was plenty for me, even with my usual high dose of vitamin C. So something must be working.
Noticeable immediate effects:

1. Crystal clear focus at work and in conversation
  2. Bright, happy feeling -- no depression or negative thinking
  3. Wanting to walk (lol -- I'm usually averse to exercise)
  4. Deep sleep and vivid dreams
  5. No morning sinus allergies (common with me)
  6. No adverse reaction to eating a small amount of dairy, to which I'm usually allergic
  7. Boundless energy
  8. Better vision

If there is any negative effect, I feel almost TOO wired. This is my second day, I've had one ounce in a glass of water, and I already feel ready to tackle the day's chores with more than usual enthusiasm."

hardamber, "Here are my results. Yesterday was my first day. I took one ounce in the morning and another one just before lunch. I did not notice any effects, except that I felt crappy like I was coming down with something. I felt fine when I woke up this morning. I think I was starting to get a cold yesterday because I was a little flemmy.
This morning, I took 1.5 oz and spent a couple of hours staining trim in this old house and went outside and finished planting the garden. I took another 1.5 oz before lunch and cleaned up the garden area. I took a 45 min nap. When I woke up at 3:00 I took 3 oz. I experienced a feeling of happiness and joy, but not in a huge way. It felt very good. I spent the rest of the day taping off trim and painting the room I've been working on. After the paint dried I cleaned and rearranged another room.
Four years ago I heard about the Master Cleanse Fast. It's a fast where you only drink fresh squeezed lemonaide with cayenne and do sea salt cleanses. After the first ten days I started to feel happy and joyful, even in situations where I should have been stressed out. I would say I now understand why I felt so good. It was because of all the vitamin C. For some reason, the subsequent fasts I've done never yeilded the same feeling. I am so excited to have this feeling back again. This is the best feeling ever. It's not a drug high, it's a subtle joy and peaceful calm. I don't feel run down like usual.
Nine years ago I had an accident and got a compression fracture in L1 in my back. It has gotten so bad that I can't sleep more than six hours without having to get up. I'm hoping this subsides so I can have a life again."

EdwynaGolden, "Well, I finally got my USC and have made 4 batches of the encapsulated V-C. I made extra jars for my mother and stepfather and some for myself and for my friend. My mother and stepfather will get their jar this evening to start them off.

I am like many of the others, who have noticed a profound difference in myself.
I am taking 1 oz twice a day. My friend with Lupus is taking the same. He says that he feels good, but is not experiencing the higher energy levels and clarity of mind that I am. He has all 3 forms of Lupus and is 57 years old, and he's still taking it, (today is his third day, so his 6th and 7th doses). He is amazed at the amount of energy that I have had over the weekend. On Friday, I made a batch as soon as I got home from work and found the box had arrived! LOL! I took my first dose then, with great expectations! However, I didn't feel anything from that first dose. I had promised my son that we would paint his room this weekend and I didn't know how I was going to have the energy if I was not going to benefit from this C.
Saturday morning, I took my 2nd oz dose. And about an hour later, I was feeling a definite difference in how I felt and proceeded to get up and worked ALL day long in his room, climbing a ladder over and over and over... (his ceiling is 12') I took my 2nd dose for the day around noon or 1pm.
I went all day and stopped about 5pm to do dinner and cleanup. I STILL felt good although my muscles ached a little from all the exercise that I am NOT used to doing!
I thought I would have a bit of trouble sleeping by 10pm. because my mind was still so alive and alert, but when I laid down, I was out in probably 20 mins, which is better than the hour that I usually lay there!!
So, the next morning and afternoon, same dose, 1 oz. I'm feeling even better than the day before and completely finish his room!! LOL! I am soooo ecstatic about this that may seem like a cakewalk to others, it means a LOT for me.

I had cancer 5 years ago, had to have a hysterectomy and 10 days later, I was rushed back to MD Anderson in Houston for emergency surgery for a hernia where the inner stitches had broken or were missed (still undetermined) and 12 inches of bowel looped through the hole coming back in. Well, I nearly died from that, but that is a looong story! The reason I bring this up is... It is super common for women who have a hysterectomy to gain weight. It's also common for them to lose a LOT of vitality from such an intrusion. I have gained about 70 lbs since then, and after I work (on my butt behind a computer all week), I am normally DONE by the time the weekend arrives. I have laid in my bed ALL weekend on the computer or watching TV or reading, just because I had no energy to do anything. I would cook IF I couldn't get the kids to do it, but I've let my house go and the kids have practically taken over that. I have gradually gotten this way since the recovery (ALL CANCER IS STILL GONE!!! YAY)... But, over the past 2 years, I have gotten sooo bad, that I don't feel as though I even have the energy to walk to the kitchen for a drink... It's been really bad and this is the BEST thing that has happened for me to get me up!! Honestly, this is exactly as the OP has in his title, "This stuff is frickin AMAZING!!!!!"
I am sooo grateful for the OP and for all of you who have attributed to the 'research' in getting this right and the dosing... etc... You are all such a Blessing to me, and I hope you all continue in good health and feeling good for the next HUNDRED years!!

I also wake up VERY easily and feeling good!! THAT in itself is a frickin miracle!!! I am a tough one to get up... But, I just feel like I did in my 30's...ALREADY
Maybe after a week, I'll feel like I did in my 20's???! Wow.. I am sooo grateful! I was VERY sore last night from the 2 days of climbing the ladder and the painting. I thought that today I would not be able to walk, because in the past, after any kind of excertion on my part even HALF as long as I worked this weekend would've cost me a couple days work and contemplating muscle relaxers...But, I tell you all... I woke up this morning and I don't hurt very bad at all!! Not even a need for an Ibuprofen!! I CAN feel the strain of my muscles a little, but OMG.... I FEEL SOOOOO WONDERFUL!!! Thank you OP and ALL of you who helped me decide to try this... Thank you FOREVER for this miracle!!! I can't wait to see how it continues to help me! And, I PRAY that my friend will soon realize at least SOME of the benefits that I am experiencing now. I LOVE this stuff!!!"

CuriousR "Well I went ahead and jumped on this like a few others on here, and wanted to weigh in with my opinion. All I can say is WOW! The mixture is fairly simple to make, and it turned out exactly like the instructions said it would.

A little info about myself: I'm a 31 year old man, and I work over night (3rd shift) at a hospital. Plus my diet is no where near what it should be. Anyone who works 3rd shift will understand that part. PLUS I'm a smoker, but I am trying to quit.

I've been taking this stuff for the past 3 days, and here are the effects it's had on me so far:

1. Increase in energy through the day. - Especially about an hour after I take it. It's like I could run a marathon, but there's no jitters or yucky after effects usually associated with some energy boosters. The only way I can describe it is that I just feel... better! For lack of a better word. I would liken it to feeling more youthful and energetic.
  2. Sharper vision. - I can definitely tell a big difference in this aspect. Things seem more sharp, and I can read things from farther away. My night vision seems to be improved as well. I'm not trying to say this stuff has given me super powers. Just a nice little boost if you will in this area.
  3. Clarity of mind/thinking. - Just exactly as stated. I can think more clearly, and my reaction time to certain things and solutions seems improved. I build home theater speakers as a hobby/other income. It's fairly mentally involved at times, and I can tell a difference when thinking about things.
  4. Generally feel better. - I feel more healthy in general. I usually feel somewhat sluggish through the day, and have trouble sleeping some times. Especially since my bed time is 7-8 am. I've noticed I sleep better/deeper, and I wake up feeling more refreshed. I've also noticed that I can sleep in more than my usual position which is on my left side. I usually have to sleep that way because leg and back pain will keep me awake if I don't.

That's all so far, but I will be sure to post more as time goes by. A big THANKS to the OP for bringing this to light! "

Gizmoto: "I have been on the brew for 3 weeks, here are my results:
Energy - great, better than an energy drink
Arthritis Pain is almost gone, I could hardly walk for more than a hundred feet without pain in my knees, that pain is gone!!!!.

Edited by nightlight, 19 August 2014 - 09:57 AM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • dislike x 1

#4 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Use this phrase at work: "Write it down". Your team may sigh, but if it is important, they will do it. It will not weaken you but add to your authority.

#5 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

off the top of my head, i remember reading a bit of research regarding hydergine and cerebral vascular disease. however, i'm not sure if its still readily available, i think there have been some manufacturing difficulties as of lately. piracetam is the most heavily studied nootropic, and is often prescribed in other countries for dementia. it is also very cheap, at a dosage of 5 grams, 4-times a day. Beyond that, you could look into oxiracetam, colouracetam. cerebrolysin is a more expensive nootropic peptide, you have to inject it (which is simple) and lots of people have had good results from it..

additional nerve growth factors such as curcumin, egcg (green tea extract), regular exercise, lion's mane mushroom, dha fatty acids from fish oil, ashwagandha... possibly rhodiola for your fatigue.

I'm sure there will be some other more helpful answers, but these are just a few substances to consider looking into

there is a lot of additional information here: http://www.lef.org/p...t-prtcl-031.htm

Thank you.  The link was very, very helpful in helping me to gain a better understanding of how some of these supplements work. 

#6 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

You are not old enough to have vascular dementia. Were you taking other prescription meds or had vaccines, antibiotics (especially Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, and Tequin, Z-pack...) prior to the onset of the problems? From the drugs they tried, it is clear they are clueless, bumbling in the dark (or covering for previous damage with other drugs or treatments), making problems worse and turning you gradually into a lifelong subscriber to their goods & services.

In any case, you may wish to try Liposomal Vitamin C, which should in any case improve vascular health, help detox (including antibiotics, heavy metals) and reverse damages from variety of autoimmune or inflammatory conditions. Info: article1 and article2 by MD, Liposomal C wiki which has instruction for DIY recipes (requires kitchen blender & small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner besides lecithin & sodium ascorbate), and numerous user experiences (see sample below). Besides vitamin C (best is to use sodium ascorbate), the other main ingredient, lecithin (I use non-GMO sunflower lecithin), being a choline source and  a building block for myelin is used on its own to help against memory & cognitive issues. Since I started making it and using (for about a year now) it has resolved some chronic inflammatory problems and pretty much replaced all other nootropics and supplements (I stil take some CoQ10, ALCAR & L-Tyrosine). I first learned about it from another health forum, where a user "dominicus" (see below) started a thread with provocative title "I make my own liposomal vit C. This stuff is frickin AMAZING!!!!!", which initially brought general ridicule, but then as one after another forum participant tried it, s/he would become instant believer. Within couple months all participants were making it and evangelizing about it (few of them created later the wiki above).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't disagree I'm not old enough.   However, that thinking led to a 4 year battle with doctors to look into what was happening to me.  At first they disregarded my concerns and blamed stress.  Finally, I was sent for an MRI.  The white matter lesions were found then..  At first they thought it was MS.  Many tests indicated it's not.   I agree I need to detox.   

Before the symptoms manifested and my diagnosis, I didn't take a thing.  Not a single medication or antibiotic.  I avoided all such things. 

Thank you for your insight.  I'm going to see about vitamin C.  Again, I strongly believe detox is necessary as I don't know if toxicity is a factor though I suspect it is. 

#7 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Use this phrase at work: "Write it down". Your team may sigh, but if it is important, they will do it. It will not weaken you but add to your authority.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:)  I have always used this phrase with my team.  The difficulty is not theirs.  It's mine.  I am also so disorganized that writing it down doesn't help if I can't find it or can't remember I wrote it down.  :(   I was never disorganized before.  I find it harder and harder to focus. I am easily distracted. 

One other symptom that has been very disturbing to me is a loss of curiosity.  I had always been like a 3 year old.  "Why?"  was my favorite question.  I don't think to ask anymore and I don't care to know. .  You would be surprised how ineffective this renders me at work.  I have built a career in process improvement.  I am not myself, not excited or motivated to ask questions and pursue answers.  I have become complacent and disinterested in most matters. Unmotivated to do tasks that benefit my well-being.  Cleaning for example.  I always kept a tidy home.  I can't get myself moving to do it.  I had to hire someone. 

Thank you for your help. 

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation, Ana.  One of the important things to do is reduce further damage.  The usual cause of vascular dementia is a series of small ischemic events, also known as 'mini-strokes' or transient ischemic attacks (TIAs).  There are two compounds that will do a good job of protecting you against ischemic events:  C sixty olive oil (c60oo) and MitoQ.  Get c60oo here and MitoQ here.  I'd start with 10 ml of c60oo a week.  You can dose it once a week, as it has a very long half life.  I'd start with 5mg MitoQ per day, and raise it to 10mg/day, possibly higher, as you gain experience with it.  It sounds like you are developing some depression, which tends to go hand in hand with this condition.  The MitoQ might help out a little with that.   We have some people here who are pretty astute about nootropics- I hope some of them will weigh in.

How's your blood pressure?  Do you smoke? 

#9 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:)  I have always used this phrase with my team.  The difficulty is not theirs.  It's mine.  I am also so disorganized that writing it down doesn't help if I can't find it or can't remember I wrote it down.  :(   I was never disorganized before.  I find it harder and harder to focus. I am easily distracted. 

One other symptom that has been very disturbing to me is a loss of curiosity.  I had always been like a 3 year old.  "Why?"  was my favorite question.  I don't think to ask anymore and I don't care to know. .  You would be surprised how ineffective this renders me at work.  I have built a career in process improvement.  I am not myself, not excited or motivated to ask questions and pursue answers.  I have become complacent and disinterested in most matters. Unmotivated to do tasks that benefit my well-being.  Cleaning for example.  I always kept a tidy home.  I can't get myself moving to do it.  I had to hire someone. 

Thank you for your help. 

Well, it was not any help. But my mum has lost a lot of short term memory after a stroke, and I recognise the syndrome.

I have only one more slight suggestion, which concerns looking into whether a more ketogenic diet might help. My reason for suggesting this--just as an outside chance--is that the body always has back up systems, and it is worth finding out whether nutrifying the brain in a different way would activate an alternate set of receptors for memory. It could be that a certain tranche of receptors was damaged but not another. It might be worth checking to see whether your short-term memory sharpens up if energised by more ketones. I do not mean that damage can be undone, but that unused capacity might be co-opted to help out.

#10 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation, Ana.  One of the important things to do is reduce further damage.  The usual cause of vascular dementia is a series of small ischemic events, also known as 'mini-strokes' or transient ischemic attacks (TIAs).  There are two compounds that will do a good job of protecting you against ischemic events:  C sixty olive oil (c60oo) and MitoQ.  Get c60oo here and MitoQ here.  I'd start with 10 ml of c60oo a week.  You can dose it once a week, as it has a very long half life.  I'd start with 5mg MitoQ per day, and raise it to 10mg/day, possibly higher, as you gain experience with it.  It sounds like you are developing some depression, which tends to go hand in hand with this condition.  The MitoQ might help out a little with that.   We have some people here who are pretty astute about nootropics- I hope some of them will weigh in.

How's your blood pressure?  Do you smoke? 

My blood pressure was scary high.  I'm on meds now for it. I stopped smoking.  Yes, there were TIAs involved.  The oils look doable.  I will look into them.  Thank you.

#11 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

You may want to look into Nicotinamide Riboside (brand name Niagen).

There is a 30% off discount that is valid through today, Wednesday 20 August 2014 (6 bottle minimum purchase).  See the Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside LONGECITY Group buy thread.

Also, see the David Sinclair strikes again thread and the Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread for extensive discussion on this molecule. 

#12 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

Namenda and Modafinil have been the only things so far that have made any difference.  It's a small difference but I want to keep taking those as it seems to agree with me with little side effects. I did not fill the prescription for Aricept.  From what I understand its not very different from Exelon which I have already tried with ZERO results. 

What can I add to that to help with short term memory and processing?  I have done a few searches and have dug through quite a few posts and have not found anything about this combo.  I will certainly add Vitamin C.  What else can I try? 

Thanks again for the help. 

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

ginjer29, do you mind if I move this thread into the Brain Health forum?  I think that's a more sensible place for it and will bring it to the attention of the right people.  I didn't want to move it and have you lose track of it though.

Edited by niner, 21 August 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#14 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

I wasn't sure of the proper forum.

Do move it, please.  Thanks!

#15 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

This will be short, because I typed out a response in the previous thread (which was moved) and the forum rejected it.

I don't know the underlying cause of your vascular dementia, so I may be incorrect in my advice.  However, I would strongly encourage you to look into taking Telmisartan.  Telmisartan upregulates AMPK and PPAR-y, which are implicated in exercise and improving blood flow.  Telmisartan (in low doses) has been shown to slow the rate of cognitive decline (dementia) and improve cerebral blood flow.  I also think given your past history of hypertension that an ARB like Telmisartan may best fit your condition state.  I think some of the other substances mentioned in this thread will make you perky and address your symptoms, but may not address the root cause of your pathology, whereby Telmisartan could.

A healthy diet, avoiding snacks inbetween meals, and regular exercise (walking in AM, after lunch, in evening) would also probably be ideal.

Best wishes.

#16 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:59 AM

This will be short, because I typed out a response in the previous thread (which was moved) and the forum rejected it.

I don't know the underlying cause of your vascular dementia, so I may be incorrect in my advice.  However, I would strongly encourage you to look into taking Telmisartan.  Telmisartan upregulates AMPK and PPAR-y, which are implicated in exercise and improving blood flow.  Telmisartan (in low doses) has been shown to slow the rate of cognitive decline (dementia) and improve cerebral blood flow.  I also think given your past history of hypertension that an ARB like Telmisartan may best fit your condition state.  I think some of the other substances mentioned in this thread will make you perky and address your symptoms, but may not address the root cause of your pathology, whereby Telmisartan could.

A healthy diet, avoiding snacks inbetween meals, and regular exercise (walking in AM, after lunch, in evening) would also probably be ideal.

Best wishes.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your response.  Should Telmisartan be taken with GW 9662?  From what I read it seems so.  Telmisartan sounds ideal.  It would help with my BP.  I'm on meds for that now.  I can have my prescription switched to Telmisartan, no problem..  

For help with my short term and processing issues, do I need to take GW 9662 as well?  How do I determine the proper dose?  Do I stop taking Namenda and Modafinil when I start this? Should I take them all together?  As you can see, I have a lot of questions. :)

I'm working on modifying my diet. I've never been overweight so it's a question of eating better.  I cut out snacking years ago.  I'm actively increasing my activity level.  I am a recovering couch potato. I started listening to books and engaging in some physical activity rather than sitting to read.  It's a start.

Ana

#17 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Have you been tested for Antiphospholipid syndrome?

#18 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Thank you for your response.  Should Telmisartan be taken with GW 9662?  From what I read it seems so.  Telmisartan sounds ideal.  It would help with my BP.  I'm on meds for that now.  I can have my prescription switched to Telmisartan, no problem..  

For help with my short term and processing issues, do I need to take GW 9662 as well?  How do I determine the proper dose?  Do I stop taking Namenda and Modafinil when I start this? Should I take them all together?  As you can see, I have a lot of questions.  :)

I don't know where GW 9662 comes from and I'm not sure what you are referring to.  I don't think it is necessary.  If anything, I would think it is countering the Telmisartan (ppar-y activation) and counterproductive.

Telmisartan would not require that you stop taking other drugs.  I would probably continue with Namenda, but I personally would be cautious with chronic usage of a drug like Modafinil.  I don't know enough about it to comment on the long-term risks of chronic usage, but I would be concerned about that.

Do you know what is the cause of your underlying hypertension?  What is your existing script for the hypertension?

#19 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have not been tested for that.. 

#20 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Telmisartan would not require that you stop taking other drugs.  

This statement refers only to Namenda and Modafinil.  I do not know what other medication you are taking (ACE Inhibitors, ARBs, etc.).

#21 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

For help with my short term and processing issues, do I need to take GW 9662 as well?  How do I determine the proper dose?  Do I stop taking Namenda and Modafinil when I start this? Should I take them all together?  As you can see, I have a lot of questions.  :)

I don't know where GW 9662 comes from and I'm not sure what you are referring to.  I don't think it is necessary.  If anything, I would think it is countering the Telmisartan (ppar-y activation) and counterproductive.

Telmisartan would not require that you stop taking other drugs.  I would probably continue with Namenda, but I personally would be cautious with chronic usage of a drug like Modafinil.  I don't know enough about it to comment on the long-term risks of chronic usage, but I would be concerned about that.

Do you know what is the cause of your underlying hypertension?  What is your existing script for the hypertension?

I do not know what is causing the hypertension The doctors have said it is "unspecific". No cause they can identify.  I was experiencing readings over 160.  I am taking Amlodipine Besylate 100mg once a day.  I am also on Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mgs once a day.  Lovaza 1gm 2x a day.  My readings are now under control.

I take breaks from the Modafinil.  2-3 days or so. I suffer from fatigue along with the other symptoms.  EXTREME fatigue. I used to be a powerhouse.  Modafinil is the only thing that's worked.   As I make changes to my diet and continue to increase my activity level, I'm hoping that will help some.  In the meantime, I cannot make it through a work day without it.  As it is, I'm ready to take a nap around 2p.  Every day. 

I am currently seeing a neurologist.   He pretty much threw up his hands.  This is the second neurologist I've seen.  Both have said the same thing.  I don't  believe it.  I cannot believe there is NOTHING that can be done to improve on my current condition.   

He suggested I go on disability AKA "lay down and die". I guess I would be more accepting (?)  if I had some outward manifestation... I don't feel like me, but I look like me. Exactly the same as I've always looked.   It's hard to explain.. To look like  yourself but not to be yourself. 

I ramble.

#22 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

I am currently seeing a neurologist.   He pretty much threw up his hands.  This is the second neurologist I've seen.  Both have said the same thing.  I don't  believe it.  I cannot believe there is NOTHING that can be done to improve on my current condition.   

He suggested I go on disability AKA "lay down and die". I guess I would be more accepting (?)  if I had some outward manifestation... I don't feel like me, but I look like me. Exactly the same as I've always looked.   It's hard to explain.. To look like  yourself but not to be yourself. 

I ramble.

Overall, the regenerative capacity of the brain is very small and can take a long period of time to occur (not days).  How you feel after 24 hrs of taking modafinil is probably not an appropriate benchmark for long-term cognitive health.  A brain lesion is not comparable to a cut on your forearm which heals and is basically the same functionally.  The tissue isn't the same.  Brain cells (neurons) are meant last a life-time and not replicate over and over.

I understand what you are saying about how you look vs. how you are functioning mentally.  But the two have nothing to do with each other really.  A lot of people look fine, but have an organ that isn't functioning properly (kidney, heart, brain, etc.).  It's not like there is some magic pill or switch that brings back lost brain tissue.  Brains naturally shrink over time through age (wear/tear, atrophy).

I say this not to discourage you from your goals, which are important.  But I think you need to have a long-term viewpoint about your situation and not operate on a short-term mentality of whatever pills you are taking that temporarily "help or don't help".

#23 ginjer29

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

I ramble.

Overall, the regenerative capacity of the brain is very small and can take a long period of time to occur (not days).  How you feel after 24 hrs of taking modafinil is probably not an appropriate benchmark for long-term cognitive health.  A brain lesion is not comparable to a cut on your forearm which heals and is basically the same functionally.  The tissue isn't the same.  Brain cells (neurons) are meant last a life-time and not replicate over and over.

I understand what you are saying about how you look vs. how you are functioning mentally.  But the two have nothing to do with each other really.  A lot of people look fine, but have an organ that isn't functioning properly (kidney, heart, brain, etc.).  It's not like there is some magic pill or switch that brings back lost brain tissue.  Brains naturally shrink over time through age (wear/tear, atrophy).

I say this not to discourage you from your goals, which are important.  But I think you need to have a long-term viewpoint about your situation and not operate on a short-term mentality of whatever pills you are taking that temporarily "help or don't help".

I do understand the two have nothing to do with each other.  That understanding does not keep me from having those "moments" :)

Well, I am taking it one day at a time and looking to see what I can do to help myself.  I'm not sure what viewpoint to take for the long-term.  My immediate concern is my day-to-day.  I've had an MRI to compare to the one done 6 months ago to see if there are any changes.  There aren't any so maybe it's not getting worse. 

#24 meth_use_lah

• 72 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Have you had a sleep study done?

• Disagree x 1

#25 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

I have not been tested for that..
It is a very recently discovered autoimmune disease, and was found by a British doctor, so it's poorly known outside the UK. Nevertheless, incidence is estimated to be at least 1% and may be as high as 5% in susceptible populations. It causes the blood to thicken and coagulate abnormally. Therefore it can cause multiple organ problems and particularly damage the brain. It is treatable with daily heparin injections. See if this sounds familiar:
http://www.hughes-sy...drome/brain.php
There are 3 blood tests that must be run for diagnosis, see e.g.:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.../diagnosis.html

I do not know what is causing the hypertension The doctors have said it is "unspecific". No cause they can identify.

This is very common in APS.

I suffer from fatigue along with the other symptoms. EXTREME fatigue.

Fairly common in APS, general autoimmune disease, and of course lots of other conditions.

I am currently seeing a neurologist. He pretty much threw up his hands. This is the second neurologist I've seen. Both have said the same thing. I don't believe it. I cannot believe there is NOTHING that can be done to improve on my current condition.

He suggested I go on disability AKA "lay down and die".

Yes, this is the sad state of medical care for any chronic condition that isn't one of the big, obvious 3: heart disease, diabetes, cancer. You can get an answer, but it is largely up to you and your persistence to do so. This is a good place to start.

I don't feel like me, but I look like me. Exactly the same as I've always looked. It's hard to explain.. To look like yourself but not to be yourself.

You explained it perfectly. Plus, there are many, many people on this forum, including me, who feel exactly as you do.

Edited by StevesPetRat, 23 August 2014 - 10:35 PM.

• Informative x 2

#26 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

Actually a copy and paste from another thread but I think that this may be also interresting for Your issues:

------------------------------------

Look into Neuroaid

http://www.neuroaid....ng_NeuroAid.pdf

Chinese Herbs do have interresting actions but one problem is that they thin the blood, which could cause inner bleedings when combined whit other blood thinning stuff and/or solely when high dosaged in the case they inhibit coagulation.

This in turn could (in the very worst case) also lead to a stroke.

So it would be good if You ask a Doc for advice.

In the case of Neuroaid, I think that they do supposedly suggest a maximum dosage in their package insert to prevent any side-effects.

The first 5 herbs which are mentioned (Astragali..), have positive effects on the outcome regarding ncbi.

----------------------------

Beside that, I would aslo suggest to take a look into following:

Gastrodia elata Blume (tianma) mobilizes neuro-protective capacities

Tianma (Gastrodia elata Blume) is a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) often used for the treatment of headache, convulsions, hypertension and neurodegenerative diseases. Tianma also modulates the cleavage of the amyloid precursor protein App and cognitive functions in mice....

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3388733/

Pharmacological Effects of Active Compounds on Neurodegenerative Disease with Gastrodia and Uncaria Decoction, a Commonly Used Poststroke Decoction

http://www.hindawi.c...wj/2013/896873/

...It also increased the expressions of PDI, nuclear factor-E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2), and several neurotrophic factor genes including glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), nerve growth factor (NGF), and myelin basic protein (MBP) genes [166]. The results indicate that p-Hydroxybenzyl alcohol can protect against neuroinflammation and brain damage....

For the stroke, it would be good to do endurance sport because it increases Bdnf, Vegf and others

(see wiki-links and/or ask a Doc for suggestion & advice)

As You´ve maybe read, Vegf, beside others, is improtant for Angiogenesis

(but it can cause afaik Varicose veins and help cancer to grow.)

Uptill now I´ve found only Catalpol and Puerarin ( derived from Rehmannia glutinosa and Pueraria lobata) to increase Vegf

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2935667/

http://medind.nic.in...bit14i2p157.htm

Btw: Consider possible contaminations of pesticieds and heavy-metals in herbal extracts.

The brands which are used by TCM practioneers in the UK are: Sanjiu 999 and Sun Ten. But dunno whether they are safe

Another interresting thing would be:

9-Methyl-β-carboline-induced cognitive enhancement is associated with elevated hippocampal dopamine levels and dendritic and synaptic proliferation

http://onlinelibrary...12.07713.x/full

9-Methyl-beta-carboline has restorative effects in an animal model of Parkinson's disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20360614

9-Methyl-beta-carboline up-regulates the appearance of differentiated dopaminergic neurones in primary mesencephalic culture.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17913302

..The number of differentiated dopaminergic neurones was significantly increased and a wide array of neurotrophic/transcription factors (Shh, Wnt1, Wnt5a, En1, En2, Nurr1, Pitx3) and marker genes (Th, Dat, Aldh1a1).. [*]

There is a little "but".

It was injected into the animals, so I´m unsure whether this would work brcause of any factors like: firstpass effect or dosage

Anyway, there is a thread here in Longecity

http://www.longecity...nergic-neurons/

and it obtainable from tht.co

http://www.tht.co/co...hyl-β-carboline

[*]

Wnt = increases the profilation of stemcells and/or Oligodendrocytes, but is also implicated in cancer.

Lithium activates Wnt as well

Shh = Sonic hedge hog is increased by Cerebrolysin and EGCG (?). It increases Angiogenesis and plays a role in synaptic functioning http://www.nature.co...bfm201350a.html

Nurr1 = regulates the expression of DAT (dopamine transporter) and maybe vmat2. Both are important to increase and even deliver the natural ammount of dopamine into the Synapse. This is good for e.g. mood, motivation etc.

Nurr1 Is Required for Maintenance of Maturing and Adult Midbrain Dopamine Neurons

http://www.med.lu.se...urosci 2009.pdf

TH = tyrosine hydroxylase, converts the aminoacid Tyrosine into Dopamine. So, No TH -> No Dopamine

Edited by Flex, 28 August 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#27 stealmind12345

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

Hi ginjer29 i'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I would research Brain State Technologies, it's a essentially a program that balences each lobe of the brain so the brain has the ability to heal itself. They have a main center in Scottsdale Arizona but have many affiliate's all over the country. Actually i just looked on their website and there is one in Austin, Galveston, and Irving Texas. Anyways they apparently treat Dementia and there are testimonials on their site of people coming out of their memory loss and regaining function. Wake Forrest University has done extensive research on the technology and studies have been conducted on it's effectiveness in neurodegenerative disease, ptsd, insomnia, and others. I think it's definitely worth looking into for you. I can't post links but just search it all the science behind their technology is there. I personally went to affiliate practioner for concussion symptoms that had been lingering for two years and i feel myself getting better everyday.

#28 jonathan-g

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

Have you had a sleep study done to rule out sleep apnea? Sleep apnea can cause all of the symptoms you described, and cause the brain damage that results in those symptoms. Even if you are not overweight, which you are not, then you STILL could have sleep apnea. 

Also useful would be rule out the presence of carbon monoxide from your home, car, etc as this can also cause vascular cerebral pathology. I realize it is highly unlikely but worth at least confirming. On longecity there was another user who had some malfunctioning part of his car that caused carbon monoxide to be released into the car, and it caused brain damage. 

#29 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

That is awful! I feel for you. Because I don't have brain lesions, I of course can't know for sure if it will help, but they say Acetyl L-carnitine, dmae/centrophenoxine, picamilion and vassopressin among others have neuroprotective qualities and can improve the memory. They say for example that alcar can delay the onset of dementia or make symptoms less severe.

#30 Shane Minor

• 36 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

Avocado Oil, not known primarily for its nootropic effects has been genuinely recognized for its effects on the white matter of the brain due to its effect on myelin. One thing is for sure, Avocado Oil is full of monounsaturated fats (good fats) that help provide more oxygen to the brain. It wouldn't be difficult to suggest that healthier oxygen levels is not a bad thing for anyone. In addition to that, more on the myelin, Avocado Oil is rich in the fatty acid known as Oleic Acid which helps build the coating of insulation on white matter known as Myelin.. I do not know if this would help, but I think it is worth looking into.

• like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vascular dementia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users