Vascular Dementia Remedies?

vascular dementia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrfixituk

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

My dad has just recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia aged 69. He had a miny stroke sometime ago but never knew about it. He has thickened arteries in the brain which I guess is stopping the blood flow. So I am curious how to tackle this...

From my research the thickened arteries are caused by:

1.) Arteriosclerosis

2.) Cerebral amyloid angipathy

3. ) Subcortical vascular dementia

I have got a handle on how to approach number 1 - Linus Pauling/Lysine, etc. But what are all the vitamins and herbs that target amyloid, apart from Ashwagandha and curcumin. He's tried curcumin before but not for very long... I have no idea about number 3.

Thanks very much.

Jason

#2 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:54 AM

Thickened arteries alone don't really sound like vascular dementia, which should involve more hemmorages. In his case, calcification and atherosclerotic plaque come to mind, which can be treated to some effect with vitamin K2 and olive oil. But if he gets an actual diagnosis of vascular dementia, then Google "bone marrow vascular dementia" and you'll get a pile of studies on using bone marrow (not necessarily involving bone surgery) to improve brain function in such patients; in that case, you might get some clinically significant effects from Neupogen injections alone.

I also suggest looking into Gerson therapy or various other vegetable juicing protocols. (Gerson therapy has some flaws, in my view, but the essence of it makes good scientific sense.) For example, see this YouTube video on an informal juicing therapy trial. The hardcore approach would involve either juicing combined with caloric restriction, or a calorically unrestricted ketogenic diet with liberal doses of medium chain tryglycerides.

There are also a myriad of supplements that could help here, such as carbon 60 olive oil, nicotinamide riboside, ashitaba, xanthohumol, and pterostilbene. Those are all broad-spectrum antiaging substances, but other more targetted approaches would help as well, if only we had more information on the specific pathology involved. I would not, however, recommend blood thinners such as aspirin, vitamin E, or honokiol at this point, as if in fact he has vascular dementia, they would tend to increase the risk of hemmoragic stroke. Likewise for olive oil, except that it increases HDL cholesterol, which could help to diminish the arterial plaques.

By the way, plain curcumin is useless. Have a look at Longvida or other highly bioavailable curcumin supplements.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 01 October 2015 - 03:56 AM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

SVD, not really sure, I would ask your doctor how sure he is of this diagnosis, it's uncommon and somewhat grim.

You could try ginkgo or uridine as vasodilators?  Things like bacopa (increases choline, dopamine, serotonin, gaba, decreases norepinephrine) and ginseng and green tea won't treat the disease-cause, but they will alleviate some symptoms.

Emerging therapies for vascular dementia and vascular cognitive impairment.
BACKGROUND:
Cerebrovascular disease (CVD) and ischemic brain injury secondary to cardiovascular disease are common causes of dementia and cognitive decline in the elderly. CVD also contributes to cognitive loss in Alzheimer disease (AD).
SUMMARY:
Progress in understanding vascular cognitive impairment (VCI) and vascular dementia (VaD) has resulted in promising symptomatic and preventive treatments. Cholinergic deficits in VaD due to ischemia of basal forebrain nuclei and cholinergic pathways can be treated with cholinesterase inhibitors used in AD. Controlled clinical trials with donepezil and galantamine in patients with VaD, as well as in patients with AD plus CVD, have demonstrated improvement in cognition, behavior, and activities of daily living. The N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist memantine stabilized progression of VaD compared with placebo. Primary and secondary stroke prevention, in particular with control of hypertension and hyperlipidemia, can decrease VaD incidence.
CONCLUSIONS:
From a public health viewpoint, recognition of VCI before the development of dementia and correction of vascular burden on the brain may lead to a global decrease of incident dementia.

Atherosclerosis can also be reversed by proper exercise and diet (eg: https://en.wikipedia...iki/CRON-diet).

Amyloids:

Green tea[1], [2]

Ginkgo[1], [2], [3], [4]

Curcumin[1], [2], [3], [4]

Ginger[1]

Blueberry / pomegranate [1] / [2]

Bacopa [1]

ALCAR[1]

Exercise (minimum 5hrs weekly) [1], [2]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

Cerebrolysin for vascular dementia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23440834

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vascular dementia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users