• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside Current News and Updates

niagen nad booster charles brenner david sinclair nicotinamide riboside nad nicotinamide ribo nad news leonard guarente

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
471 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

I've been searching for an area to just post current news items on (NR) Nicotinamide Riboside. To date I have folder brimming with news items other threads would consider off topic. So if its current news here is a forum you can post and discuss the latest topics.

I'll kick this off with 3 new news items:

Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Nicotinamide Riboside / University of Copenhagen

This is a new study following on the heals of Dr. Charles Brenner's PK study conducted in August.

Team discovers that a derivative of vitamin B3 prevents liver cancer in mice

and

Inhibition of De Novo NAD+ Synthesis by Oncogenic URI Causes Liver Tumorigenesis through DNA Damage

And for those of us who have been watching studies to enhance NAD synthesis:

Increasing NAD Synthesis in Muscle via Nicotinamide Phosphoribosyltransferase is not Sufficient to Promote Oxidative Metabolism

because with the failures come a deeper understanding of the mechanisms at work.

• like x 6

#2 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

Good idea BrYan, maybe you should post a link to here on the other NR threads...Sinclair, NR experiences and NR group buy...

I only found this thread by chance :)

Edited by midas, 26 November 2014 - 12:29 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#3 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

Thanks, I added it to the another thread already as you suggested. Also lets not just put pro-NR reading in here. I already know of one blog where someone posted some serious doubt on the topic. Personally I like reading material that intelligently challenges my convictions and this next link will certainly stir the pot.

Josh Mitteldorf's blog "Nicotinamide Riboside — Where’s the Beef?"

So if its new and worthwhile NR reading post a link to it here on this thread so others can find it!

• like x 1

#4 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

Metabolic Profiling of Alternative NAD Biosynthetic Routes in Mouse Tissues

Valerio Mori,    Adolfo Amici,    Francesca Mazzola,    Michele Di Stefano,    Laura Conforti,    Giulio Magni,   Silverio Ruggieri,    Nadia Raffaelli,    Giuseppe Orsomando mail

Published: November 25, 2014DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0113939

#5 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

Drs Best has introduced an NR supplement. Their recommended daily dose is 150 mg:
http://www.iherb.com...ggie-Caps/58904

LEF has added a small amount of NR to one of their existing products) - a (laughable?) 2 mg has been added to their Daily Mixes:
http://www.lef.org/V...th-Extra-Niacin
(FFS - I wish they would remove the copper & manganese from this supplement!)

LEF has also introduced two new products featuring NR:

- an NR product providing 100 mg NR per serve (suggested daily dose of 100 mg):
http://www.lef.org/V...ell-Regenerator

- a new resveratrol product containing 250 mg trans-resveratrol and 100 mg NR per serve:
http://www.lef.org/V...ell-Regenerator

Edited by blood, 30 November 2014 - 01:34 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

I enjoyed that piece from Mitteldorf. This resonates with me:

Reading about a new life extension supplement, I get excited when I see “we fed it to mice and they lived X% longer”, or better yet, “In preliminary human trials, mortality was found to be Y% lower.” The articles about NR are full of biochemical pathways and chains of genes that promote other genes. In my way of thinking, all the biochemistry is important for generating ideas, but the proof of the pudding is in life extension trials. Lab experiments on live mice run hundreds of thousands of dollars to test a single compound. We can’t be testing everything under the sun, so we rely on biochemistry for plausible candidates. But jumping from biochemical theory to marketing of a supplement is a leap of faith that leaves me behind...

• like x 1

#7 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

I enjoyed that piece from Mitteldorf. This resonates with me:

Reading about a new life extension supplement, I get excited when I see “we fed it to mice and they lived X% longer”, or better yet, “In preliminary human trials, mortality was found to be Y% lower.” The articles about NR are full of biochemical pathways and chains of genes that promote other genes. In my way of thinking, all the biochemistry is important for generating ideas, but the proof of the pudding is in life extension trials. Lab experiments on live mice run hundreds of thousands of dollars to test a single compound. We can’t be testing everything under the sun, so we rely on biochemistry for plausible candidates. But jumping from biochemical theory to marketing of a supplement is a leap of faith that leaves me behind...

Then, as Duarte would say...sit back and watch for the NEXT 10-20 years.... because that's how long life extension trials are going to take!

Furthermore, it's not necessarily about life extension! It's me getting home from gardens and being able to discern the numbers on my gate's combination lock for the first time in 5 or10 years.... and crawling over boulders on the shore while scampering with my Belgium Sheepdog, without  pain or a cane...

They can figure it out... and will, if the planet gives us the time... but I'm with Duarte... his logic resonates with me! 

And as we get new data, on this or anything else... to the extent I can afford to adapt to it, I will, within reason.  Am I putting nano carbon particles into my body willy nilly?  NO....but this?   It's a no brainer.... The contrast of data between the two options is huge...

#8 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

It won't take twenty years to determine if NR is effective in restoring NAD levels in humans, and if so at what dosage....
Secondly, it won't take twenty years to know if rodents whose NAD levels have been restored and SIRT1 activated, live longer than controls....
It's doubtful that Chromadex will conduct either study

#9 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

I dont think it will take that long either. I'm not so sure that SIRT1 has that much effect on the longer lived mammals like us anyway, it seems the effect vanishes as we scale up the body mass. Only time will tell. The understanding is the main thing and how we can apply it to heathy living.

#10 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

A little tongue and cheek Kevn... indeed, the study to measure impacts of 100mg/300mg/1000mg dosings (here) is complete... however, it will take a long time to fully understand what is happening and all the ramifications of our complex metabolic system... And we already know the rats get healthier... thats my focus! well, not the rats per se  :|? but ME! :-D

ct.gov-logo.png

A service of the U.S. National Institutes of Health

Example: "Heart attack" AND "Los Angeles"

Search for studies: 

2 studies found for:    nicotinamide riboside

Include only open studies Exclude studies with unknown status
Rank Status Study 1 Not yet recruiting Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Nicotinamide Riboside Condition: Healthy Participants Intervention: Dietary Supplement: Nicotinamide riboside 2 Completed A Study of the Pharmacokinetics of Three Dosages of Niagen in Healthy Subjects Condition: Pharmacokinetics Interventions: Dietary Supplement: Niagen 100mg;   Dietary Supplement: Niagen 300mg;   Dietary Supplement: Niagen 1000mg

Edited by Vastmandana, 30 November 2014 - 08:42 PM.

• like x 1

#11 MetaphasicSystems

• 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Maybe you should post "Where to Buy" so we can join in on the research :)

#12 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

<p><p>A little tongue and cheek Kevn... indeed, the study to measure impacts of 100mg/300mg/1000mg dosings (here) is complete... however, it will take a long time to fully understand what is happening and all the ramifications of our complex metabolic system... And we already know the rats get healthier... thats my focus! well, not the rats per se :|? but ME! :-D]

None of these trials are measuring the effectiveness of any of these doses in raising NAD, ( the blood work is for safety purposes ).
Which is why we are taking it.

#13 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

Maximum observed concentration (Cmax) [ Time Frame: 24 hours ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
24 hour dosing period; 3 dosing periods each separated by 7 day washout

Time of maximum concentration (Tmax), [ Time Frame: 24 hours ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
24 hour dosing period; 3 dosing periods each separated by 7 day washout

#14 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:35 AM

Maybe you should post "Where to Buy" so we can join in on the research :)

Since you asked:

Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside LONGECITY Group Buy

I dont make anything off this I'm just keeping an earler discount going that someone else set up for our members. My incentive is the same discount everyone else recives. High Performance Nutrition (HPN) is the vender and they have a long track record supporting our members. The next discount buy will be held December 11th through the 18th. As we get closer I'll post more about it on that forum.

#15 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

Activation of SIRT3 by the NAD+ Precursor Nicotinamide Riboside Protects from Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

fx1.jpg

Vitamin supplement successfully prevents noise-induced hearing loss

http://weill.cornell...ie-jaffrey.html

http://www.foxnews.c...n-animal-study/

Also from Charles Brenner http://www.sciencedi...550413114005129

This news item propagated pretty fast today.

Earlier this year http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3966673/ So this was an already suspected outcome of increasing NAD levels so I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I also found a similar article from 2013. This search provided a number of previous articles on NAD levels and preventing hearing loss.

And yes a patent was filed http://www.google.co...4014828A1?cl=en

Guess I'll just have to own up and tell my wife I just wasn't paying attention to what she said.

Edited by Bryan_S, 02 December 2014 - 10:19 PM.

• Informative x 3

#16 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:29 AM

Wow!  Now I'm not going  to be able to tell if my improved song mastering is due to my new mastering tools or NR!

thanks, bry

#17 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

Wow!  Now I'm not going  to be able to tell if my improved song mastering is due to my new mastering tools or NR!

thanks, bry

My 26-year old and I were comparing our frequency sensitivity the other day. Talk about feeling old! He was several thousand kHz more sensitive than me which didn't surprise me because our hearing diminishes with age. I did however notice I've gained about 500-750 kHz since last year. 

Online Tone Generator

Hearing Test – Can You Hear This? 

Edited by Bryan_S, 03 December 2014 - 08:04 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#18 wannabeageless

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:11 AM

Another study on NR's potential to prevent hearing loss:

http://weill.cornell...ie-jaffrey.html

Vitamin Supplement Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

NEW YORK and SAN FRANCISCO—December 2, 2014—Researchers from Weill Cornell Medical College and the Gladstone Institutes have found a way to prevent noise-induced hearing loss in a mouse using a simple chemical compound that is a precursor to vitamin B3. This discovery has important implications not only for preventing hearing loss, but also potentially for treating some aging-related conditions that are linked to the same protein.

in Cell Metabolism, the researchers used the chemical nicotinamide riboside (NR) to protect the nerves that innervate the cochlea. The cochlea transmits sound information through these nerves to the spiral ganglion, which then passes along those messages to the brain. Exposure to loud noises damages the synapses connecting the nerves and the hair cells in the cochlea, resulting in noise-induced hearing loss.

The researchers set about trying to prevent this nerve damage by giving mice NR before or after exposing them to loud noises. NR was successful at preventing damage to the synaptic connections, avoiding both short-term and long-term hearing loss. What’s more, NR was equally effective regardless of whether it was given before or after the noise exposure.

"One of the major limitations in managing disorders of the inner ear, including hearing loss, is there are a very limited number of treatments options. This discovery identifies a unique pathway and a potential drug therapy to treat noise-induced hearing loss," says Dr. Kevin Brown, an associate professor of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine and first author on the paper. Dr. Brown conducted the research while at Weill Cornell.

The researchers chose NR because it is a precursor to the chemical compound nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), which had previously been shown by Dr. Brown and co-senior author Dr. Samie Jaffrey to protect cochlea nerve cells from injury. However, NAD+ is an unstable compound, calling into question whether it could be used out of the petri dish and in a live animal. That led the scientists to use NR instead.

Methods for synthesizing NR were recently developed by Dr. Anthony Sauve, a professor of pharmacology at Weill Cornell and co-author of the study. This resulted in quantities of NR that were sufficient to test in animals.

"NR gets into cells very readily and can be absorbed when you take it orally. It has all the properties that you would expect in a medicine that could be administered to people,” said Dr. Jaffrey, a professor of pharmacology at Weill Cornell.

Beyond just preventing hearing loss, the researchers think the results may have broader applications because of the underlying way NR protects nerve cells. The scientists showed that NR and NAD+ prevent hearing loss by increasing the activity of the protein sirtuin 3 (SIRT3), which is critically involved in the function of mitochondria, the powerhouses of the cell.

The researchers hypothesized that it was this enhancement of SIRT3 that was behind the protective properties of NR. To test this, they manipulated SIRT3 levels independently of NR to see if they could still prevent noise-induced hearing loss by administering NR. Sure enough, deleting the SIRT3 gene in mice abolished any of the protective properties of NR. The researchers also showed that a new strain of mice, generated in the lab of co-senior author Dr. Eric Verdin at the Gladstone Institutes and engineered to express high levels of SIRT3, were inherently resistant to noise-induced hearing loss, even without administration of NR.

SIRT3 decreases naturally as we age, which could partially explain aging-related hearing loss. Additionally, some individuals carry different versions of the SIRT3 genes that result in reduced enzyme activity, which may make them more susceptible to noise-induced hearing loss.

Dr. Verdin, an investigator at the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology and professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, says, "The success of this study suggests that targeting SIRT3 using NR could be a viable target for treating all sorts of aging-related disorders—not only hearing loss but also metabolic syndromes like obesity, pulmonary hypertension, and even diabetes."

Other scientists who participated in this research include Sadia Maqsood, William Harkcom, Dr. Wei Li, and Dr. Sauve from Weill Cornell, and Jing-Yi Huang and Dr. Yong Pan from the Gladstone Institutes. Funding was provided by Weill Cornell, the NYS DOH Spinal Cord Injury Fund, the Gladstone Institutes, and the National Institutes of Health.

• Informative x 3
  • like x 1

#19 wannabeageless

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:34 AM

Oops, just realized the article is already linked above.  I'd delete the post if I could figure out how! :blush:

#20 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

No worries its all good discussion. I think we are going to see NR used in a number of "preventive" injury studies. Those studies are easy enough to set up and they have the potential for a quick turnaround on reduced funding budgets.

#21 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:42 AM

A lot of interesting stuff appearing recently involving NR.........I love it when things get interesting! :) 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#22 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:03 AM

Newswire:  Do we want to post this kind of stuff in this thread??????? ;) :wacko: :unsure:

ChromaDex® Receives $750,000 Cash from Previous Sale of its BluScience™ Line

IRVINE, Calif.Dec. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- ChromaDex® Corp. (OTCQX: CDXC), an innovative natural products company that provides proprietary ingredients and science-based solutions to the dietary supplement, food and beverage, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries, announced today that it has received a cash payment of approximately $750,000 for the shares of NeutriSci International Inc. ("NeutriSci"), that the company received as part of its prior transaction with NeutriSci.

In March 2013, ChromaDex closed on the sale of its BluScience™ consumer product line to NeutriSci. The sale of the BluScience™ line allowed ChromaDex to hone its focus on growing the sales of its ingredient business, as well as accelerating the development of its novel ingredient pipeline. ChromaDex expects to continue to generate revenue from this relationship through its 6 percent royalty agreement on future net sales of BluScience™ products and its supply agreement with NeutriSci on ChromaDex's patentedpTeroPure® pterostilbene ingredient.

Frank Jaksch, Jr., CEO and co-founder of ChromaDex, commented, "The $750,000 resulting from our 2013 sale of the BluScience™ line strengthens our balance sheet and, in particular, our cash position. Coupled with our recent $5.0 million in debt financing from Hercules Technology Growth Capital, we believe that we are well positioned to fund our operations at least through 2015, as our business transitions to cash flow positive and profitability."

ChromaDex's product portfolio includes scientific ingredients that have demonstrated multiple health benefits, including NIAGEN® and PURENERGY®, both of which are undergoing clinical trials. In its most recent quarterly earnings report, ChromaDex reported a 160 percent year-over-year increase in its ingredient sales.

"We continue to see strong demand for our novel ingredient technologies, especially our NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside, and we expect both revenue growth and business development activity to continue to increase in 2015," Jaksch added.

Edited by Vastmandana, 04 December 2014 - 03:05 AM.

#23 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

Newswire:  Do we want to post this kind of stuff in this thread??????? ;) :wacko: :unsure:

If it has to do with NAD developments in general or our understanding the precursors or Sirtuin's I'd say post it here, but ChromaDex developments . . . personally I've skipped over them. You can post their general business if you want to, some may want to see it, I will tell everyone if you see anything about their latest NR studies "POST IT".

Speaking about NAD developments here is one published by JAMA The American Medical Association. 

How a Natural Molecule May Protect Against Autoimmune Diseases

If someone wants to find the full paper that would be great.

#24 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:26 AM

Full paper here:  

Attached File  ncomms6101.pdf   1.56MB   47 downloads

NAD+ protects against EAE by regulating CD4+ T-cell differentiation

Tullius, S. G., Biefer, H. R. C., Li, S., Trachtenberg, A. J., Edtinger, K., Quante, M., ... & ElKhal, A. (2014). NAD+ protects against EAE by regulating CD4+ T-cell differentiation. Nature Communications, 5. doi: 10.1038/ncomms6101

Attached Files

Edited by trance, 05 December 2014 - 04:36 AM.

• like x 5

#25 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Metabolic Control of Autophagy

Macroautophagy (herein referred to as autophagy) is an evolutionarily conserved mechanism of adaptation to adverse microenvironmental conditions, including limited nutrient supplies. Several sensors interacting with the autophagic machinery have evolved to detect fluctuations in key meta- bolic parameters. The signal transduction cascades operating downstream of these sensors are highly interconnected to control a spatially and chronologically coordinated autophagic response that maintains the health and function of individual cells while preserving organismal homeostasis. Here, we discuss the physiological regulation of autophagy by metabolic circuitries, as well as alterations of such control in disease.

Cell 159, December 4, 2014

http://www.cell.com/...8674(14)01437-8

Edited by Bryan_S, 05 December 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#26 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:52 AM

FULL TEXT:  

#27 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

NAD+ Supplementation as a Novel Approach to cURIng HCC?

http://www.sciencedi...535610814004620

edit- i think this was already posted, just a rehash of the recent study

Edited by Adaptogen, 09 December 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#28 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

NIH Publishes Results of Preclinical Collaboration with ChromaDex Showing Potential Benefit of Nicotinamide Riboside

(I opened this press release in three different browsers and the formatting was a bit off, so please excuse the cut and past to fix the problem. I'm also put off by their lack of references to the actual study, I'll add a few supporting studies. I believe this was the original article published in cell. If someone could find the original PDF that would be great. The last link in the list below is a cached version)

06:30 ET Dec. 10th, 2014

- NR Studied as a Treatment for Premature Aging in Cockayne Syndrome and Age Related Neurodegeneration -

IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- ChromaDex Corp.  (OTCQX: CDXC), announced today that the results of a mouse study performed in collaboration with ChromaDex by the National Institute on Aging (NIA), a member of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), were published in Cell Metabolism in November 2014. The results indicated that nicotinamide riboside (NR) was effective at restoring NAD+ levels in mitochondria and rescuing phenotypes associated with a devastating accelerated aging disease known as Cockayne Syndrome (CS).  The researchers concluded that NR showed promise as a potential therapy for the disease, as well as for other age-related neurodegenerative conditions. ChromaDex is an innovative natural products company that provides proprietary ingredients and science-based solutions to the dietary supplement, food and beverage, animal health, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries.

CS is a rare genetic disorder that causes neurodegeneration, severe sensitivity to sunlight and failure to gain weight and grow at a normal rate. CS patients share the same neurodegenerative traits that are seen in many mitochondrial disorders and diseases associated with aging. Mitochondrial maintenance may be central in the aging process, and interventions that preserve mitochondrial function appear to extend the lifespan of model organisms.

NIH researchers commented in the publication: "As expected, old Csb mice had decreased NAD+ and ATP levels before treatment. Remarkably, a single week of treatment with NR completely normalized these levels." The researchers go on to speculate that NAD+ supplementation may prove to be beneficial for patients with CS who have no current treatment options.

Frank Jaksch, CEO and Founder of ChromaDex stated: "We are excited to have this collaboration with the NIH for NR and look forward to continuing this important research.  These early results are extremely encouraging and ChromaDex is evaluating the use of NR for rare pediatric diseases such as Cockayne Syndrome. We are also reviewing other therapeutic indications in which NR alone, or in combination, may be effective in treating or preventing disease. The NIH study and other preclinical studies conducted recently by independent researchers have consistently indicated that NR has a beneficial effect in a variety of disease conditions through its effectiveness in increasing NAD+."

ChromaDex's NIAGEN® is the first and only commercially available form of NR, a naturally occurring vitamin B3 derivative found in milk.  Published research has shown that NR is perhaps the most effective precursor to boost cellular levels of NAD+ and improve mitochondrial performance and energy.  NAD+ is essential in supporting healthy cellular metabolism including the efficient conversation of blood glucose into energy.

About Mitochondria and NR:
While scientists have known for decades that mitochondria produce energy for cells, it is only recently that mitochondrial function has been linked to general health, aging and numerous disease conditions. Key to mitochondrial function is maintenance of sufficient levels of NAD+ that can be used to generate energy efficiently and that allows overall mitochondria function, such as signaling, immune regulation, and cell death, to proceed properly.  If levels go down or are redirected (as in cancer cells), mitochondrial function erodes creating numerous adverse effects.  Scientists have begun to show, in animal models, that the stimulation of mitochondrial function with NR may result in increased longevity as well as other health improvements. Researchers worldwide are continuing to make seminal discoveries characterizing the unique properties of NR in a wide range of health benefits. These include increased mitochondrial health, increased muscle endurance, neuroprotection, sirtuin activation (which has been linked to slowing the aging process), protection against weight gain on high-fat diet, protection against oxidative stress, inhibition of tumor formation and improvement of blood glucose levels and insulin sensitivity.  At the same time mitochondrial dysfunction has been increasingly linked to a broad range of disease conditions, including autoimmune diseases, macular degeneration, cancer, Alzheimer's and other central nervous system diseases, Duschene muscular dystrophy and others. ChromaDex, through more than 20 collaborations with researchers around the world, is in the forefront of research showing that the use of NR helps preserve or restore mitochondrial function and may be beneficial in treating and/or preventing disease.

About ChromaDex:
ChromaDex is an innovative natural products company that discovers, acquires, develops and commercializes proprietary-based ingredient technologies through its unique business model that utilizes its wholly owned synergistic business units, including ingredient technologies, natural product fine chemicals (known as "phytochemicals"), chemistry and analytical testing services, and product regulatory and safety consulting (as Spherix Consulting). The company provides seamless science-based solutions to the nutritional supplement, food and beverage, animal health, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. The ChromaDex ingredient technologies unit includes products backed with extensive scientific research and intellectual property. Its ingredient portfolio includes pTeroPure®pterostilbene; ProC3G®, a natural black rice containing cyanidin-3-glucoside; PURENERGY®, a caffeine-pTeroPure® cocrystal; and NIAGEN®, its recently launched branded nicotinamide riboside, a potent NAD+ booster and novel next-generation B vitamin. To learn more about ChromaDex, visit www.chromadex.com.

Forward-Looking Statements:
This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Statements that are not a description of historical facts constitute forward-looking statements and may often, but not always, be identified by the use of such words as "expects", "anticipates", "intends", "estimates", "plans", "potential", "possible", "probable", "believes", "seeks", "may", "will", "should", "could" or the negative of such terms or other similar expressions. Actual results may differ materially from those set forth in this release due to the risks and uncertainties inherent in ChromaDex's business. More detailed information about ChromaDex and the risk factors that may affect the realization of forward-looking statements is set forth in ChromaDex's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2013, ChromaDex's Quarter Reports on Form 10-Q and other filings submitted by ChromaDex to the SEC, copies of which may be obtained from the SEC's website at www.sec.gov. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement and ChromaDex undertakes no obligation to revise or update this release to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof.

ChromaDex Company Contact:

Laura Kelly, Executive Assistant
949-419-0288

laurak@chromadex.com

http://investors.chr...icle&ID=1996389

Additional references:

http://www.cell.com/...4131(14)00452-5

http://www.irp.nia.n...s/lmg/vbohr.htm

http://www.sciencedi...550413114004525

http://www.kurzweila...n-aging-in-mice

http://www.sciencedi...550413114004628

http://www.cellr4.org/article/852

http://webcache.goog...&gbv=2&&ct=clnk

Edited by Bryan_S, 10 December 2014 - 09:09 PM.

• like x 2

#29 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

Is there any reference to dosage and the means of administration of NR? I've searched and can't find what I think is the most relevant info for us humans ingesting NR orally in small amounts,

#30 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:32 AM

Is there any reference to dosage and the means of administration of NR? I've searched and can't find what I think is the most relevant info for us humans ingesting NR orally in small amounts,

You have the same links I posted for the study. I see injections of NR (500 mg/kg/d, ip) from these links. Now as to outside relevant info for us humans I find 3 clinical studies found for: Nicotinamide Riboside. We should note one additional study has recently appeared since the last search. See next:

The Effect of Vitamin B3 on Substrate Metabolism, Insulin Sensitivity, and Body Composition in Obese Men

But lets be clear they haven't established a "human nutritional or therapeutic oral dosage yet." From all the studies we can see they are testing a range: Experimental: high dose 1000 mg nicotinamide riboside oral down to an oral Dietary Supplement: Niagen of 100mg. That is a 10X range. One study has already been completed and we are anxiously awaiting those results, another is currently recruiting and a third study is just pulling together now and has not started recruiting human subjects yet. We can extrapolate a best guess dosage from these studies. Personally I thought they would test higher amounts compared to the animal studies but these studies are being put together by educated clinicians who have some expectation of results. I assume they do not want to fail using inadequate dosages.

Personally I already take 1000 mg nicotinamide riboside oral and as the studies are constructed this is anticipated to be the high Oral therapeutic opposed to the Dietary Supplement dosage. If you are looking to find something written in concrete terms at this moment not enough data has been accumulated. I also want something more concrete. If you're asking how much is safe to take I'd repeatedly search for "Nicotinamide Riboside LD50/ED50=" as I do frequently until its published. However I do not believe this ratio has been published yet, although at this point NR appears to be safer at much higher dosages than nicotinamide or niacin, you will have to decide whats safe for yourself for now. For me it's an economical decision of what can I afford compared with how are they structuring their studies and I expect its similar for the rest of us.

So my point is yes they are focusing on a dosage range and if your regiment falls within you're likely on the right path. I find these Pharmacokinetic studies encouraging. I also "feel" if you are already taking NR the benefits far outstrip the consequences but that's my opinion. These animal studies continue to suggest that increasing NAD levels though this precursor path may orchestrate cellular repair in our aging bodies. I look forward to seeing additional studies to reinforce these very findings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niagen, nad booster, charles brenner, david sinclair, nicotinamide, riboside, nad, nicotinamide ribo, nad news, leonard guarente

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users