• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Large review article on animal and human clinical trials of resveratrol (43 pages!)

in vivo animal human

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

Very impressive review article trying to summarize the in vivo effects.   Here is a relevant paragraph from the Summary section:  

"In this review, we have concentrated on results obtained with animal models and clinical trials involving human beings. The ultimate endpoint of greatest interest is the biological response mediated with a living mammal and, frankly, the array of responses reported over the past 5 years is simply amazing (Fig. 5).  Amelioration of disease states and modulation of biomarkers is widespread over a  large range of ailments. In many cases the in vivo investigations described herein allude to possible mechanisms, such as antioxidant,  anti-inflammatory, and Sirt1 signal-activating capacities, but in actual fact it is difficult to pinpoint one truly critical target. Rather, it appears that the ability of RSV to mediate an overall response involves the weak modulation of a host of targets. As described previously, RSV is an extremely promiscuous molecule [379]. Taking advantage of this multifaceted pharmacological mode of action, additional uses of RSV have been suggested,such as exploitation as a probe for the rapid detection of Aβ and monitoring AD [380].

Considering the broad range of responses, it is tempting to view RSV as a panacea. It should be borne in mind, however, the effects are often statistically significant but relatively weak, so a definitive response or cure is not a reasonable expectation. This leads to the notion of creating analogs with greater potency and efficacy [381], but of course such an approach leads to greater developmental expenses, greater risk, and possibly adverse side-effects. It is noteworthy that RSV itself has not been found to exert adverse effects in animal models or clinical intervention studies. "

Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015 Jan 31. pii: S0925-4439(15)00023-X. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2015.01.014. [Epub ahead of print]

The Pharmacology of Resveratrol in Animals and Humans.

Abstract

In addition to thousands of research papers related to resveratrol (RSV), approximated 300 review articles have been published. Earlier research tended to focus on pharmacological activities of RSV related to cardiovascular systems, inflammation, and carcinogenesis/cancer development. More recently, the horizon has been broadened by exploring the potential effect of RSV on the aging process, diabetes, neurological dysfunction, etc. Herein, we primarily focus on the in vivo pharmacological effects of RSV reported over the past 5 years (2009-2014). In addition, recent clinical intervention studies performed with resveratrol are summarized. Some discrepancies exist between in vivo studies with animals and clinical studies, or between clinical studies, which are likely due to disparate doses of RSV, experimental settings, and subject variation. Nevertheless, many positive indications have been reported with mammals, so it is reasonable to advocate for the conduct of more definitive clinical studies. Since the safety profile is pristine, an added advantage is the use of RSV as a dietary supplement. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Resveratol: Challenges in translating pre-clincial findings to improved patient outcomes.

Copyright © 2015. Published by Elsevier B.V.

KEYWORDS: 

Resveratrol; animal studies; clinical trials; pharmacological activities

PMID: 25652123      

• like x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

The most interesting aspect of this is "thousands of papers". A decade in an no one seems exactly sure how RSV is beneficial, but it certainly has few adverse side effects. Super-large doses seemed to cause joint problems, if I remember correctly.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yes, and what even more makes me think twice is how blindfolded these guys seem to have avoided the other THOUSANDS of papers with very much less than "amazing" results in in vivo trials. To be honest I don't understand the hype any longer when I evaluate the papers on pubmed.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, it's kind of breathless for a review article.

#5 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

I'd be interested in the conflict of interest statement...

• Agree x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

I'd be interested in the conflict of interest statement...

lol

My thought exactly...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: in vivo, animal, human

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users