chemicals

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jason30

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

Hi all,

I started to take some supplements to correct some shortages (vitamin b complex, vitamin d, selenium).

Because i suffer from multiple chemical sensitivities and electromagnetic hypersensitivity i am very sensitive to chemicals.

After reading this article i am a bit concerned about the processed chemicals. In this article, by Table 1. Composition of Food and Non-Food Vitamins, you'll see that for example the processed chemical by Vitamin B-5 is formaldehyde!

And formaldehyde makes my MCS worse!  :sad: 

I am curious what you all think about those processed chemicals? In my particular situation, do i have to avoid supplements? (i hope not :unsure: )

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

If you can live in the modern world, then your sensitivity is probably not crazy-bad.  There are always impurities in things-- for example, there's an old analytical chemist's saying:  "There's a part per trillion of everything in everything."  That's not literally true, but it does give you a sense of the real world.  For things like vitamins, there are a relatively small number of professional producers that supply the market with raw materials.  A vitamin pill maker might buy 1-100 kg of these ingredients at a time, blend and cap them.  Those ingredients tend to be high quality and are unlikely to have a problem.  As long as you go with a pill maker that is known to be good, like Jarrow, for example, and you are only dealing with vitamins and minerals, you should be fine.  The murkier corners of the supplement world are another thing entirely.  You don't really know what you're getting, and have to rely on the good name of the maker.  If the maker uses a branded ingredient, e.g. Kaneka Ubiquinol, not just Ubiquinol, that is generally a good sign. 

BTW, article you cited was pretty alarmist.  It's true that it's better to get vitamins from a healthy diet than a pill, but it's not like the pills are nuclear waste.

Edited by niner, 21 March 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#3 Jason30

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Niner, yes there will always be some impurities in it. Some give compaints others don't. I am a fan of Jarrow :cool:

I wonder at the same time if these impurities, such as formaldehyde, could be the reason why alot of people don't tolerate supplements. I often meet people with fibromyalgia, MSC etc who have problems with supplements. Perhaps these impurities may be the cause.

Edited by Jason30, 25 March 2015 - 01:47 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chemicals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users