- - - - -

Ibuprofen safety

ibuprofen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:41 AM

Until a few weeks ago, I took Advil on a regular basis every night.  It helped me sleep, and from everything I'd read that indicated it reduced inflammation and increased lifespan in some organisms, it seemed like a no-brainer.

...  And then recently, the FDA recommended high-dose ibuprofen be avoided, as it apparently increases heart attack risk.

http://well.blogs.ny...relievers/?_r=0

So I've stopped taking ibuprofen pretty much cold turkey.  What's the consensus on this?  I'm generally somewhat skeptical about the FDA, but I don't see a good reason to go against their advice right now.

#2 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

From the article:

"Ibuprofen taken at high daily doses of 2,400 milligrams also significantly raised heart attack risk, possibly doubling it. But data about ibuprofen is scant, making it difficult to precisely assess the risk."

I scanned through the analysis and it seemed all the Ibuprofen data was taken from high dose (2400 mg per day) studies. The Ibuprofen I take occasionally (two or three times  a week) is 200 mg. I am guessing the risk is minimal at this dose. Could be that like many things there can be too much of a good thing. The FDA announcement seems a bit overly alarmist given that most people don't consume such large doses, but these government agencies all seem to have their heads up their asses these days.

Edited by geo12the, 20 July 2015 - 10:39 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:14 AM

The pharmaceutical dose for prescription Motrin is 600mg and I believe is dosed at 4 times a day, so 2400mg/day is not an uncommon dosing for the prescription dose of the drug.  

This caution is probably directed at doctors who may often be prescribing this dosage to patients who may be at high risk for MI.  

While lower doses may carry substantially less risk, I would't want to be taking this daily at any dose unless my quality of life was greatly hampered without it.  I would prefer aspirin if I was taking a daily NSAID pain med as its risk/reward ratio appears to be much better.  

Edited by synesthesia, 22 July 2015 - 05:15 AM.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibuprofen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users