- - - - -

brain fog, bad fatigue, please help

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#91 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

you've got some really good points justink, I think my problems started occurring around the time I started staying up later during the weekends and sleeping in, anyway you've offered enough evidence to try out the nadh and it's on the way. it's supposed to facilitate the tyrosine to dopamine turnover rate, and that's probably exactly what I need.

#92 ryan1113

• 66 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

Reading over this thread, I get the feeling that quite a number of elements need to fall into place before you'll start feeling better. For instance, a person could do everything else right in his life but if he has no significant social life to speak of and no friends or girlfiend, such a person is likely to continue to degenerate mentally with increasing depression and eventual dissociation as he loses his sense of identity from lack of meaningful relationships. That's what social isolation tends to do to people. And both dissociation and depression can involve a certain amount of cognitive impairment. The exact biochemical mechanisms as to why the cognitive impairment occurs isn't entirely clear, but neither are the underlying causes of depression. It likely involves a combination of neurotransmitter imbalances, decreased neuronal plasticity, reduced brain metabolism as evidenced by brain imaging, and in the long run actual slight atrophy in the brain. It's my understanding that when depression begins to resolve in persons with long-term depression, mood often improves faster than cognitive skills, which can lag behind a little.

Reading over your comments, I get the impression that your mentality and the way you perceive your life and world around you may be part of your problem. For instance, it seems that you think you need to feel better before you can live a normal life, but did it ever occur to you that perhaps you need to start trying to live a fulfilling life in order to eventually feel better? If you think at this point in your life that you're not feeling well enough to make friends and have a significant social life and also lack social skills, the way to improve this is to start doing it more. At first you might have to "put on a face" and a fake smile and act a little rather than being yourself, and it might not go well at first. So what.

You get out of life what you put into it. I get the impression you're searching for a quick fix and hoping that you have an underlying medical condition. I'm guessing you over-analyze and spend too much time thinking. The situation you're in is analagous to an overweight, unhealthy fat man who wants to get in shape. This is accomplished through daily effort and determination. Similarly, the brain can "get out of shape" so to speak by living an imbalanced lifestyle that lacks sufficient stimulation. You also keep using the word "motivation" in your postings. Most people have days where they don't want to get up and go to class or work or fulfill other responsibilities, but they do it anyways, motivation or not.

You need to find out what it means to live a healthy lifestyle, and start doing it. I don't know if this describes you at all or not, but for instance, staying up late, sleeping in, going to class and barely being able to pay attention due to lethargy, and then spending the rest of your time watching tv, surfing the web, and playing video games is not living healthy life. And there are millions of young people like this, and a good percentage of them are substantially mentally ill and dysfunctional in a number of ways.

You can't plan out every minute of your life, but you can get into healthy routines and establish a "template" of sorts as to how to schedule your days. For example, it starts with going to bed early and getting your butt up in the morning on a regular schedule. Then you exercise, eat a good breakfast, go to classes, meet interesting people for a quick lunch, get some of your school work done, etc. You try to get your school and personal responsibilities out of the way so that you can reserve some time at the end of the day to socialize, do hobbies, go places, do new things, date, etc. If you find yourself spending hours surfing the web or watching tv, you should probably box these things up and start living a life.

At 20, I believe that the types of things that are important to most guys your age include a good social network with close friends and plenty of acquaintances, dating, sex, a girlfriend, being active in sports, hobbies, planning for the future, etc. How much of this do you have in your life, and how do you expect to feel well if you are deficient in all of the things that you have a need for? You need to incorporate such things into your life, but learn how to say no to certain negative aspects of the college lifestyle, like binge drinking, smoking weed and other drugs, staying up all night at the bar or at parties, etc. There's a reason why people tend to abandon these sorts of things after college or even before college ends, and it's because they know they will not function optimally if they make bad choices and that it takes them days to recover after doing it.

The average person also does not live an optimal healthy lifestyle. What most people do is establish some baseline below optimal that fluctuates from week to week. They don't eat well, they don't exercise, etc. And then they feel like crap at work and have a hard time getting things done and try to compensate by drinking pots of coffee throughout the day, get stressed, and complain. Your problems may have simply progressed beyond this.

I think the best you could hope from an antidepressant or other chemical intervention is that it will wake you up enough that you might feel more inclined to take action. But it won't solve your problems. There is a possibility that you might have something like sleep apnea, etc, that is contributing to your problems, but if this were the case I still don't think you'd improve much overall until you work on changing your lifestyle.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:21 AM

There's a lot of truth to your post, I don't live a very stimulating life, and I don't socialize nearly as much as I should, but it's not all bad. My diet is decent, I go to the gym and run a game of basketball here and there, but the social part is most challenging to me. Most of the time I'm just not in the mood to socialize, and my personality type is such that when I'm not interested in doing something, it's quite obvious. My attention shifts rapidly, and usually at around 10-15 minutes into ANY conversation, my eyes will start to droop and I'll get really uneasy and jumpy. This hasn't been helping my sex life either, not wanting to socialize.

i'll see where waking up at a constant time will take me, and see what i'll do from there, also i go to a party school where it's hard to find people who aren't alcoholics, and the ones who aren't just aren't very interesting people(most of the time)

#94 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

My symptoms were similar to those of the original poster -- and they became particularly evident when I was 17. Chronic fatigue and brain fog were the worst problems; other symptoms included digestive problems, insomnia and disturbed sleep, chronic hunger, itching, adrenaline surges, photophobia, feverishness and heat intolerance.

I tried many things to get better, with little success. Then, when I was 24, someone replied to one of my forum posts. I had recently switched to a vegetarian, whole foods diet, and had mentioned that I was hypoglycemic. The respondent explained that hypoglycemia indicated a certain metabolic type, and that I needed a diet heavy on dark meat (including organ meat) and light on carbohydrates. I thought he was crazy and ignored his advice. ;-) Eventually, I reconsidered, contacted him for more information, and then changed my diet. The transformation was dramatic: I felt full of energy and my head "cleared" for the first time in years. I believed that the years of misery were finally over.

Unfortunately, the fatigue and brain fog and other symptoms returned within a couple of months. I was still better than I had been, and I stuck to my new diet as I tried to figure out what had changed. I suspected candida or food allergies, but every test for candida or other infection came back negative, and eliminating foods made little difference.

The friend who had recommended a change of diet had coped with chronic health problems of his own. They were generally more serious than mine, but he hadn't experienced brain fog until about a year ago, which started during a period of intense stress. He learned about adrenal fatigue and the importance of cortisol supplements, which helped him to recover. I started taking cortisol supplements at the start of this year -- first in the form of adrenal cortex extract (Isocort), and currently via hydrocortisone -- and the difference has been dramatic. I'm finally feeling normal. Sadly, I'm also in my mid-thirties; I understand too well how years of chronic health problems mess up your ambitions and social life. I hope that others resolve their problems much sooner.

Useful links:
http://askwaltstollm...chives/bob.html
http://www.stoptheth...opic.php?t=8562

#95 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:36 AM

I have some similar chronic symptoms, and after thorough testing I'm finally on track to revealing the issues.

What I knew earlier:

- imbalanced neurotransmitters
- imbalanced hormones
- stressed adrenals
- slow thyroid
- stressed kidneys
- slightly inflamed liver

What I know now:

- nearly failed Citric Acid cycle (stops right where Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Complex should convert pyruvate into acetyl-CoA, at the beginning of the cycle)
- poor fatty acid oxidation (so apparently I'm not getting any energy from anything!)
- low dopamine/serotonin and high serotonin metabolism (used quickly)
- poor detoxification
- imbalanced bacterial load
- several food allergies: eggs especially, wheat to a lesser extent.
- slight mercury/nickel contamination

This required several tests and a few years of searching. I did have several mercury fillings removed recently, and I'm undergoing a light chelation protocol (dmsa + ALA, frequent doses). So far my therapy is simply amino acid supplementation, adaptogenic herbs (ashwagandha/bacopa at night), 5-htp + L-dopa, b-vitamins, probiotics, yoga/breathing exercises, and a restricted diet (on top of other supplements I'm already taking - admittedly, a bit more than the norm around here).

I'm trying to: boost sod/glutathione, remove toxins, fix bacterial profile, correct deficiencies/imbalances. I'm hoping the issue will be solved with that, but I'm investigating other possibilities (which look quite scary).

Note: I finally tried vasopressin (desmopressin) on marijuana... terrible mistake. I took 1 spray and had a severe bad reaction almost immediately. Eventually I had to be hospitalized due to rapidly increasing blood pressure and heart rate. It was pretty bad...I won't be messing with ADH again any time soon.

#96 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Damnit I keep on forgetting about this thread but now i need it more than ever, im about to graduate from undergrad, and my attention and energy problems are worse than ever... also living a very secluded life although with roommates

#97 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

My symptoms were similar to those of the original poster -- and they became particularly evident when I was 17. Chronic fatigue and brain fog were the worst problems; other symptoms included digestive problems, insomnia and disturbed sleep, chronic hunger, itching, adrenaline surges, photophobia, feverishness and heat intolerance.

I tried many things to get better, with little success. Then, when I was 24, someone replied to one of my forum posts. I had recently switched to a vegetarian, whole foods diet, and had mentioned that I was hypoglycemic. The respondent explained that hypoglycemia indicated a certain metabolic type, and that I needed a diet heavy on dark meat (including organ meat) and light on carbohydrates. I thought he was crazy and ignored his advice. ;-) Eventually, I reconsidered, contacted him for more information, and then changed my diet. The transformation was dramatic: I felt full of energy and my head "cleared" for the first time in years. I believed that the years of misery were finally over.

Unfortunately, the fatigue and brain fog and other symptoms returned within a couple of months. I was still better than I had been, and I stuck to my new diet as I tried to figure out what had changed. I suspected candida or food allergies, but every test for candida or other infection came back negative, and eliminating foods made little difference.

The friend who had recommended a change of diet had coped with chronic health problems of his own. They were generally more serious than mine, but he hadn't experienced brain fog until about a year ago, which started during a period of intense stress. He learned about adrenal fatigue and the importance of cortisol supplements, which helped him to recover. I started taking cortisol supplements at the start of this year -- first in the form of adrenal cortex extract (Isocort), and currently via hydrocortisone -- and the difference has been dramatic. I'm finally feeling normal. Sadly, I'm also in my mid-thirties; I understand too well how years of chronic health problems mess up your ambitions and social life. I hope that others resolve their problems much sooner.

Useful links:
http://askwaltstollm...chives/bob.html
http://www.stoptheth...opic.php?t=8562

I think I feel the same way, although at 21. So did you have to order one of these expensive saliva tests? how much does the cortisol supplements cost

#98 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

I think I feel the same way, although at 21. So did you have to order one of these expensive saliva tests? how much does the cortisol supplements cost

I haven't yet done the saliva test for cortisol, etc., but I will do it soon. I'm currently weaning myself from the hydrocortisone in preparation; I kind of wish I'd done the testing before I added supplementary cortisol (even though I already know that I need the supplementation). The testing will cost about $100. Isocort isn't too expensive -- $27 per 240 pellets -- and hydrocortisone can be even cheaper, depending on the source.

I mentioned before that eliminating foods made little difference. I should have phrased that as "eliminating more foods", because I had already identified at least a couple of major allergens (including eggs). I strongly recommend learning about the metabolic type and elimination diets, because people with chronic health problems frequently have a diet that is severely mismatched to their metabolic type, and food allergies that contribute to their symptoms.

#99 homicidalgecko

• 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:04 AM

This thread is very interesting, but I notice that the importance of diet has not been addressed as fully as it could be. I am also aware that what I am about to say is considered "controversial", no matter how factual/well studied it is. Basically, I do not begrudge those who disagree (the food and pharmaceutical industries have immense lobbying power).

Here goes:

A strict vegan diet has significant potential to improve all of the symptoms listed by purerealm, and while saying this may not be convincing, a vegan diet poses not threat to health (admittedly, vegans must supplement with B-12 on a long enough timeline). Eating vegan whole plant foods can be cheap and taste good if you look for recipes online.
*Note: The China Study is one of the most useful resources for understanding veganism realistically for what it is.

I realize that money has been an expressed concern, however, it seems more expensive to not examine this option. Eating whole plant foods is actually relatively cheap when compared to many other options: Western diet (meat and dairy are especially expensive and ridiculously immoral. No offense), trying out/using supplements and medications, and doctor visits all ad up in the long term.

One last (contradictory) comment: although I stated that supplements could be expensive (and therefore a problem), I would suggest Greens+ as a cop out (in place of hardcore diet change), although seriously, I really hope purerealm tries veganism for a month or so. Purerealm can probably avoid using medication/supplements at all...

#100 homicidalgecko

• 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

Sorry, I also realize that if purerealm is O bloodtype none of that would work as smoothly as I'd hope. However, if that were the case, purerealm could look into a healthy diet fortified with lots of meat...

#101 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

Sorry, I also realize that if purerealm is O bloodtype none of that would work as smoothly as I'd hope. However, if that were the case, purerealm could look into a healthy diet fortified with lots of meat...

Blood type does not determine metabolic type. For example, I have type A blood and require a meat-based diet (as I've learned the hard way). Interestingly, the Blackfoot Indians have one of the highest frequencies of type A blood in the world (over 80%), and their traditional diet was based on buffalo and other game. Similarly, there are people with type O blood who thrive on a (semi-)vegetarian diet.

#102 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:09 AM

hmm I don't really know where to start but i've started to take licorice supplements sporadically (i had it left over from one of my more hypochondriatic-bouts)

life is continuing pretty sluggishly whereas when i first started this thread i'd pore through everything related to my condition for hours, now i'll read a few lines and start to get tired of reading it... but then again it's been like this for a long time now for whenever i don't find something markedly fascinating... i guess this has been going on for so long finding that magical cure just doesn't bring as much curiosity

#103 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

oh and when i had roommates, they were pretty surprised by the amount of water that i consume daily, usually at least a gallon... I'm nearly constantly thirsty, wasn't always this way either

#104 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

I am O+, and I read Peter D'Adamo's books Eat Right For Your Type and Live Right Type years back. I tried the vegetarian thing for 1 month. I tell you, it was the worst experience in my life! I was hungry 24/7, couldn't sleep, didn't have any energy, and it was just plain rotten. I also would like to add that I was eating 100% organic fruits and vegetables at the time and did partake in eating eggs for additional protein.

I start out my day now eating 2 1/3 lb beef patties for breakfast along with an organic banana and GoLean Crunch. I feel great!!! Meat eater all the way.

#105 Mr.Bananas

• 108 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

oh and when i had roommates, they were pretty surprised by the amount of water that i consume daily, usually at least a gallon... I'm nearly constantly thirsty, wasn't always this way either

Have you considered diabetes?

Unquenchable Thirst:
If it feels like you can't get enough water and you're drinking much more than usual, it could be a sign of diabetes, especially if it seems to go hand in hand with frequent urination. If your body is pulling extra water out of your blood and you're running to the bathroom more, you will become dehydrated and feel the need to drink more to replace the water that you are losing.

And also gives me the oppurtunity to post this:
Posted Image

#106 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

That could be a symptom of low aldosterone -- a common problem for people with adrenal fatigue. From the aldosterone page at Stop The Thyroid Madness:

But when it gets too low, which can be common in patients with cortisol deficiency, your kidneys will excrete too much salt, and it leads to low blood pressure; low blood volume; a high pulse and/or palpitations, dizziness and or lightheadedness when you stand; fatigue; and a craving for salt. Symptoms of low aldosterone can also include frequent urination, sweating, and a feeling of thirst, besides the craving of salt.

Do you crave salt? Does consuming extra salt reduce your symptoms? Ironically, drinking water can make your symptoms worse when you're sodium deficient (if you don't consume extra salt at the same time).

#107 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

i do have high sodium intake, with salt cravings. i'm not sure if it treduces my symptoms. i had my aldesterone checked a while back i need to see if i can find it

#108 Basket Case

• 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

Wow, i am so happy to find this topic. I actually found it last year or so and bookmarked it when i was doing my research on my own condition.

I too have been suffering from this huge amount of brainfog since i was around 19, i'm 24 now.

it first started with not being able to remember small things or even situations, to not even being able to talk. Even now i mumble kinda when i talk, which I hadnt before, and even say the wrong words, ha its crazy, but thats the least of my problems.

I used to be able to think, imgine things, and me myself over all. now i have so much brainfog that it actually hurts to think, and i do feel that i have depression, but im not sad all the time. i don't even think that i can think good enough to even be sad. I actually kinda accepted my problem, but then days an months go past and i get a lil worse and it gets scarier, and makes me want to resolve my problem.

One of my huge problems is this severe fatique. I usually only get about 5 hours a night of sleep, mostly due to me being tired no matter what, and actually wake up in chest and head pain. Really feels like a buzzing going on and it hurts. So even though i do get 5 hours of sleep. I wake up probably ever other hour if not each hour with the problems.

i barely dream anymore, and if i do i dont remember it. Thats gone out with my imagination.

in 2006 i got a cold and fell asleep. I could not stay awake and slept for 3 days, and actually woke up here and there, but was so tired i'd pass back out. Eventually it started to freak me out so i forced my self to stay wake. Since then time feels like its moving so fast and everything is so foggy. it's scary how 2 years ago really seems like yesterday due to the time. I think this is due to me being so tired, and not being able to think well enough to graspe much. it feels like i have no internal clock anymore and eveyrtime is the same time or something. It' snot as weird and twilight zone like as it sounds, but its not normal.
Do you have that problem as well?

i actually cant even drive anymore because i always fall asleep no matter what when im in acar. its crazy.
But whats weird is that even tho im so tired, alot of times i just cant sleep... uhh unless im in a car, ha.

Your story sounds so much like mine. Especially the being a kid and the math thing. I had the same exact problem with math. My mind would just go blank, as it is now most of the itme with simple problems. Even had huge headaches back then.

i've actuall given up on going to the doctors for my problems. They look at me as if im crazy and want to put me on anti depressents. I know its not all depression, and if i do have depression the conidtion causes it.

You said that you had a intolernce to the heat. Same here. You wake up at night in a panic and super hot?
You also said you have trouble breathing sometimes.

Have you ever thought about having sleep apnea? Thats actually waht i think my conidtion is. everything makes sense. Apnea actually causes depression.
Sleep apnea is where you can breathe properlly, especially when you're asleep which then explains the getting so hot and wake up, and not being able to sleep, and then being so sleepy. Also explains the heavy breathing, and especially explains brain fog.
imagine never getting enough sleep and how foggy your head gets over time. Makes perfect sense.

Do you snore when you're asleep? I myself always have snored really loud. i'm also a mouth breather, and have been a heavy breather all my life which makes sense in my case.

Don't be scared, and do not let anxiety get to you.
we can be fixed, we just have to find out whats wrong first. Do you have glimpses of your old self? Certain times where you can think as you once did.. even for a micro second? That alone proves that we're still here inside this foggy shell and can come out some day again. so dont give up hope.

#109 danielbb

• 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

Hello everyone :-)

I am the same, found this thread on google.

Near exact symptoms of what you have. Mine had a definate starting point, well at least a sharp increase. About 18 months ago i was lying down playing on a computer game (Secondlife) I turned over to grab something and i went into a intense spinning sensation, from that point on i had brain fog, i either adjusted gradually over the following months or it disappeared, but 4 months ago it was back, i had pain in my chest/back and it kind of started again from there, more intense. I can no longer study because the harder i concentrate the more confused i get to the point at which it hurts.

For as long as i remember i experienced this sensation when i had to do something for a long period of time or got bored, but for the rest of the time i was ok.

i've actuall given up on going to the doctors for my problems. They look at me as if im crazy and want to put me on anti depressents. I know its not all depression, and if i do have depression the conidtion causes it.

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Same here, not a single test done and medication hasn't made any difference.

Im finding this post hard to write now, but ill be back later to add to it.

Edited by danielbb, 10 August 2008 - 07:37 AM.

#110 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:42 AM

Wow, i am so happy to find this topic. I actually found it last year or so and bookmarked it when i was doing my research on my own condition.

I too have been suffering from this huge amount of brainfog since i was around 19, i'm 24 now.

I can relate to most of your symptoms, including the chronic fatigue, brain fog, sleeping problems, heat intolerance, inability to communicate clearly, and loss of imagination (an evitable consequence, I suspect, of being chronically exhausted, befuddled, and deprived of REM sleep).

In all likelihood, they are all related to adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism (though it's worth exploring how those conditions arose in the first place). For example, when cortisol (a hormone produced in the adrenal cortex) is too low, your body pumps out adrenaline -- and you wake up with a jolt, feeling hot and anxious. And this article explains the link between sleep apnea and hypothyroidism.

I strongly recommend getting the following tests done:

(1) Saliva cortisol, the most reliable measure of adrenal fatigue. You will probably need to order and pay for the test yourself; fortunately, it isn't too expensive. You can order a kit via the Canary Club.

(2) Thyroid blood tests, especially Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, and possibly TPO and TgAb antibodies (if Hashimoto's disease is suspected).

Other useful blood tests include ferritin (very important -- thyroid hormones can't be metabolized properly if it is too low), A.M. cortisol, and aldosterone (another hormone produced in the adrenal cortex that controls fluid and mineral balance).

Resources

Stop The Thyroid Madness (website)
Stop The Thyroid Madness (book)
http://health.groups...rmonesADRENALS/

I hope this helps. I understand that when you've dealt with chronic health problems for years, you grow weary of all the magic solutions that are offered on the web. But please don't ignore basic endocrinology; I made that mistake for far too long, and I wish to save others from the same fate.

-- Aaron

Edited by aaron, 11 August 2008 - 03:44 AM.

#111 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

hmm well I don't wake up with a jolt, it's more like a thick haze that subsides enough for me to wake up. for apnea i just had a sleep study done i don't think i have it. i'm going to look into the other tests, but i can't help but think that this is going to turn out to be another one of those tests that offer no relief, i had a pricey mercury test done that didn't really help either. now i'm almost on the verge of apathy

I can relate to most of your symptoms, including the chronic fatigue, brain fog, sleeping problems, heat intolerance, inability to communicate clearly, and loss of imagination (an evitable consequence, I suspect, of being chronically exhausted, befuddled, and deprived of REM sleep).

In all likelihood, they are all related to adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism (though it's worth exploring how those conditions arose in the first place). For example, when cortisol (a hormone produced in the adrenal cortex) is too low, your body pumps out adrenaline -- and you wake up with a jolt, feeling hot and anxious. And this article explains the link between sleep apnea and hypothyroidism.

I strongly recommend getting the following tests done:

(1) Saliva cortisol, the most reliable measure of adrenal fatigue. You will probably need to order and pay for the test yourself; fortunately, it isn't too expensive. You can order a kit via the Canary Club.

(2) Thyroid blood tests, especially Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, and possibly TPO and TgAb antibodies (if Hashimoto's disease is suspected).

Other useful blood tests include ferritin (very important -- thyroid hormones can't be metabolized properly if it is too low), A.M. cortisol, and aldosterone (another hormone produced in the adrenal cortex that controls fluid and mineral balance).

Resources

Stop The Thyroid Madness (website)
Stop The Thyroid Madness (book)
http://health.groups...rmonesADRENALS/

I hope this helps. I understand that when you've dealt with chronic health problems for years, you grow weary of all the magic solutions that are offered on the web. But please don't ignore basic endocrinology; I made that mistake for far too long, and I wish to save others from the same fate.

-- Aaron

#112 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:47 PM

hmm well I don't wake up with a jolt, it's more like a thick haze that subsides enough for me to wake up. for apnea i just had a sleep study done i don't think i have it. i'm going to look into the other tests, but i can't help but think that this is going to turn out to be another one of those tests that offer no relief, i had a pricey mercury test done that didn't really help either. now i'm almost on the verge of apathy

I think the "waking up with a jolt" phenomenon was more common in the earlier stages of my illness. The hazy feeling in the morning is typical of low cortisol; it's just that low cortisol sometimes triggers a burst of adrenaline, hence the "jolt". As my exhaustion deepened over the years, it became more difficult to displace the fatigue and brain fog.

Please, either do the saliva cortisol testing or try some Isocort (it's fairly cheap). You should consider the testing because: (1) it's possible that you don't have low cortisol (very unlikely, in my opinion); (2) it will measure the severity of your adrenal fatigue, and the fluctuations in your cortisol rhythm during the day; (3) having "objective" evidence may help you take the diagnosis seriously and follow the appropriate protocol. I started with the Isocort, noticed an amazing improvement, switched from Isocort to hydrocortisone, and then decided I'd like to do the testing -- and had to endure the symptoms of weaning myself from the hydrocortisone. Frankly, I'm not sure the testing was worthwhile at that point, though I did learn some things from the weaning process. So, I understand perfectly if you'd rather skip the testing, even though the information could be helpful.

Also, try eating more dark meat and fewer carbs, and see if it helps. That's easy to do.

#113 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the concern, I have adrenal cortex organic glandular and adrenal organic glandular from more than a year ago, would that be the same thing as isocort? they're bovine.

I think the "waking up with a jolt" phenomenon was more common in the earlier stages of my illness. The hazy feeling in the morning is typical of low cortisol; it's just that low cortisol sometimes triggers a burst of adrenaline, hence the "jolt". As my exhaustion deepened over the years, it became more difficult to displace the fatigue and brain fog.

Please, either do the saliva cortisol testing or try some Isocort (it's fairly cheap). You should consider the testing because: (1) it's possible that you don't have low cortisol (very unlikely, in my opinion); (2) it will measure the severity of your adrenal fatigue, and the fluctuations in your cortisol rhythm during the day; (3) having "objective" evidence may help you take the diagnosis seriously and follow the appropriate protocol. I started with the Isocort, noticed an amazing improvement, switched from Isocort to hydrocortisone, and then decided I'd like to do the testing -- and had to endure the symptoms of weaning myself from the hydrocortisone. Frankly, I'm not sure the testing was worthwhile at that point, though I did learn some things from the weaning process. So, I understand perfectly if you'd rather skip the testing, even though the information could be helpful.

Also, try eating more dark meat and fewer carbs, and see if it helps. That's easy to do.

#114 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:20 AM

Also, I bought that book from fatigued to fantastic and that big jar of b vitamins energy revit. system and a bunch of d-ribose, but i think the d-ribose is exacerbating the condition while the b vitamins don't seem to affect me very much at all, shitty investment

Thanks for the concern, I have adrenal cortex organic glandular and adrenal organic glandular from more than a year ago, would that be the same thing as isocort? they're bovine.

#115 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

I don't know whether the hormones have been removed from the adrenal glandulars you mention. If they have, then neither product is similar to Isocort. If they haven't, then you should avoid the adrenal organic glandular, because it would include adrenaline, which would exhaust your adrenals further, but the adrenal cortex organic glandular might be similar to Isocort (if it contains cortisol). The short answer is: probably not; you're better off getting some Iscort, which contains a standardized amount of cortisol (though estimates vary as to what that amount is -- somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 mg per pellet).

#116 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

what if I have high blood sugar? Does that rule out adrenal insufficiency? I do get dizzy when standing though... I often get spells where I black out for a short moment but I've gotten pretty used to these

#117 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

what if I have high blood sugar? Does that rule out adrenal insufficiency? I do get dizzy when standing though... I often get spells where I black out for a short moment but I've gotten pretty used to these

Have you determined that you have high blood sugar? Chronically high blood sugar can be caused by high cortisol, a condition typical in the early stages of adrenal fatigue (it wouldn't be called adrenal insufficiency in that case).

Feeling dizzy upon standing (orthostatic or postural hypotension) can indicate a drop in blood pressure caused by low aldosterone and sodium deficiency (blood pressure is supposed to *rise* when you stand up); as I've mentioned before, aldosterone is made in the adrenal cortex. Try adding 1/4 teaspoon of unrefined sea salt (available at most health food stores) per pint of water, and drinking two pints per day.

#118 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:10 PM

Have you determined that you have high blood sugar? Chronically high blood sugar can be caused by high cortisol, a condition typical in the early stages of adrenal fatigue (it wouldn't be called adrenal insufficiency in that case).

Feeling dizzy upon standing (orthostatic or postural hypotension) can indicate a drop in blood pressure caused by low aldosterone and sodium deficiency (blood pressure is supposed to *rise* when you stand up); as I've mentioned before, aldosterone is made in the adrenal cortex. Try adding 1/4 teaspoon of unrefined sea salt (available at most health food stores) per pint of water, and drinking two pints per day.

I had my blood sugar tested recently for diabetes, in one of the tests I was midrange, this other test I was right at the end of the range w/ 99 in a range of something-like-70 - 100, so right at teh end. I just started going to a health specialist that treats fatigue problems and diagnoses through sexual and adrenal hormonal salival testing. But it is pretty much all out of pocket, and now i'm having second thoughts. I'm a poor recent college graduate and now i'm thinking i should just do this all myself, including ordering of the tests, but i don't know if it's something i can handle

#119 purerealm

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

anyway i ordered the test through canary, sexual, thyroid, and adrenal hormones from salival. i'll keep posting.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 aaron

• 17 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

anyway i ordered the test through canary, sexual, thyroid, and adrenal hormones from salival. i'll keep posting.

That's great news. The test should detect any adrenal or thyroid problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users