Magnolia Bark Extract

magnolia bark

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

I'm looking to hear about anyone's experience using magnolia bark extract for anxiety, depression and/or ocd. I've been taking ashwagandha (ksm-66 extract), which helps some, but have been reading about magnolia bark and wonder if it will be more effective (especially for non-drowsy daytime use).

#2 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

It helps OCD a bit.

http://area1255.blog...rally-with.html

Ashwagandha is probably better though, overall. 

Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2012 May;5(5):380-4. doi: 10.1016/S1995-7645(12)60063-7.

Influence of Withania somnifera on obsessive compulsive disorder in mice.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

To study the influence of methanolic and aqueous extract of Withania somnifera (W. somnifera) root on the marble-burying behavior of mice a well-accepted model of obsessive compulsive behavior.

METHODS:

Mice were divided in different groups (n = 6). Fluoxetine (5, 10, 15 mg/kg), (10, 25, 50, 100 mg/kg) and methanolic extract W. somnifera (MEWS) (10, 25, 50, 100 mg/kg) were administered i.p. 30 min. prior to the assessment of marble burying behavior and locomotor activity. The control group received vehicle of the extract.

RESULTS:

Administration of aqueous extracts W. somnifera (AEWS) and MEWS (50 mg/kg) successively decreased the marble burying behavior activity without affecting motor activity. This effect of AEWS and MEWS was comparable to standard fluoxetine, ritanserin and parachlorophenylalanine.

CONCLUSIONS:

W. somnifera extract is effective in treating obsessive compulsive disorder.

Copyright © 2012 Hainan Medical College. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

PMID:   22546655   [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]    Free full text

Edited by Area-1255, 09 September 2015 - 06:40 PM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

It helps OCD a bit.
http://area1255.blog...rally-with.html

Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2012 May;5(5):380-4. doi: 10.1016/S1995-7645(12)60063-7.Influence of Withania somnifera on obsessive compulsive disorder in mice.
Kaurav BP1, Wanjari MM, Chandekar A, Chauhan NS, Upmanyu N.

Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To study the influence of methanolic and aqueous extract of Withania somnifera (W. somnifera) root on the marble-burying behavior of mice a well-accepted model of obsessive compulsive behavior.METHODS:
Mice were divided in different groups (n = 6). Fluoxetine (5, 10, 15 mg/kg), (10, 25, 50, 100 mg/kg) and methanolic extract W. somnifera (MEWS) (10, 25, 50, 100 mg/kg) were administered i.p. 30 min. prior to the assessment of marble burying behavior and locomotor activity. The control group received vehicle of the extract.RESULTS:
Administration of aqueous extracts W. somnifera (AEWS) and MEWS (50 mg/kg) successively decreased the marble burying behavior activity without affecting motor activity. This effect of AEWS and MEWS was comparable to standard fluoxetine, ritanserin and parachlorophenylalanine.CONCLUSIONS:
Copyright © 2012 Hainan Medical College. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

PMID: 22546655 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free full text

Thank you for the link and study. I hadn't seen that one on ashwagandha and ocd. With regard to the link, I actually read that write-up a few days ago and it's what got me thinking about switching to magnolia bark (I already have relora but figured a magnolia only product would be stronger). Do you think ashwagandha would also be better than magnolia for anxiety (in addition to ocd; especially for longterm daily use)?

Edited by klind14, 09 September 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

Influence of Withania somnifera on obsessive compulsive disorder in mice.

(50 mg/kg) successively decreased the marble burying behavior activity without affecting motor activity. This effect of AEWS and MEWS was comparable to standard fluoxetine, ritanserin and parachlorophenylalanine.

CONCLUSIONS:

Would 600mg be enough for an 80kg human?

#5 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:34 PM

The studies on magnolia and honokiol look great. I've taken a few different magnolia extracts, including badmonkey's 98% extract. I've taken some stupid-high doses for a day or two, and never noticed anything. I've done it several times. It seems strange. It sure seems like I should notice something.

What's also interesting is that Relora does have a noticeable calming effect. I wish I understood how Relora works. 

#6 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:59 PM

The studies on magnolia and honokiol look great. I've taken a few different magnolia extracts, including badmonkey's 98% extract. I've taken some stupid-high doses for a day or two, and never noticed anything. I've done it several times. It seems strange. It sure seems like I should notice something.

What's also interesting is that Relora does have a noticeable calming effect. I wish I understood how Relora works. 

There is a little calcium in it, perhaps it is something to do with that. It must be there for a reason.

#7 stan08

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

That is strange that you noticed more from relora than a straight magnolia bark product. I wonder if that's due to the other ingredient it's mixed with in relora. Personally, I did find relora to be calming and a little sedating. It also seemed to provide a slight mood boost. However, I never used it consistantly enough (the longest being less than a week straight) to see how it on a more longterm basis (especially compared to ashwagandha).

#8 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:03 AM

Search under the name honokiol in the LongeCity search field in the upper right corner of your browser to find current and past conversations. Also use honokiol in a Google search window for some of the latest research. There are a few comments on it in this thread http://www.longecity...okiol-magnolol/

where its seen some new activity. There is also some comments on the BPH thread http://www.longecity...aton-dhea-luts/

I've felt a bit more calm taking it lately, I started taking it in May. I had attributed that to some of my other supplements. I take 400mg/day of Magnolia extract / honokiol and approached it from an anti-inflammatory / SIRT3 activation standpoint looking for a synergistic effect with Nicotinamide Riboside but it clearly has other benefits as some of us have noted. There also seems to be a rash of new studies to map out all its mechanisms of action and it seems to work along several paths so I think its a hot new topic. 

Here is another clinical reference source using the search term Magnolia https://clinicaltria...a&Search=Search These links will take a while to comb thru.

Good luck

Edited by Bryan_S, 10 September 2015 - 07:12 AM.

#9 chris106

• 292 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

Not quite sure if I am missing something and stating the obvious here, but Relora consists of a combination of Magnolia extract and Phellodendron extract. Phellodendron itself has unique anti-inflammatory properties as well (inflammation can be a cause of anxiety/depression), and they are supposed to work synergistically in that regard.

http://examine.com/s...ndron amurense/

That would explain why Relora has more positive anecdotal reports than plain Magnolia extracts.

#10 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:08 AM

Right. I wonder what the exact compounds are in the Magnolia and Phellodendron that are creating Relora's effect. It's not honokiol and berberine. Any ideas?

Here's the patent. I see magnolol, honokiol, and magnoflorine listed. tl;dr.

There were some other things in Phellodendron that I was trying separately with Magnolia extracts. Was it chrysin? I forget now...

Edited by ta5, 10 October 2015 - 02:11 AM.

#11 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

the reason relora works and not plain magnolia bark extract is simple. relora is patented highly potent extract from magnolia which in its stable form, you will probably need tons of magnolia bark to feel same result. not sure why you have to act stupid ta5, its simple logic.

• Unfriendly x 1

#12 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:15 AM

not sure why you have to act stupid ta5, its simple logic.

:wub: you and your excessive rudeness could always take a hike to reddit :wub:

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

dont know my recent Magnolia extract (200mg/pill) from a uk vendor made me actually pretty drowsy even sublingual i.e. for 30 sec gave a good blow.

I is anxiolytic sa well though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnolia bark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users