Photo
- - - - -

Exercise and Skin Cancer?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gmayer

• 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

would like to get some feedback on sun-exposure and health. in my minds eye there seem to be some contradictory information pertaining to the true nature of skin cancer. for example, the american cancer society states that "UV radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer", and just recently an article was published in the cancer journal claiming that insufficient expose to the sun can actually increase your risk of cancer, including melanoma. Now for someone who exercises outdoors routinely, biking, hiking, surfing, skiing. etc. the question comes to mind, what is a healthy amount of sun exposure, and does exposing yourself to outdoor adventures really increase you risk of skin cancer. i've heard many claims, many unsubstantiated though, that sun exposure and skin cancer are unrelated. interested to see others thoughts on this!!

-interesting fact... "sydney, australia is the country with the highest rate of skin cancer" ACS. also the the land of great diving, water sports, and outdoor adventure. however in queensland where 15 years ago a strict sunscreen campaign was put in place, they have seen a dramatic rise in melanoma cases. ACS

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:31 PM

Sunshine is also good for a person's mood, which eventually affects the immune system and other bodily functions.

My rule of thumb is do not get burned, but a little bit of tan can't be that bad.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

i think i saw Kevin Trudeau on tv saying that the sun doesn't cause skin cancer. he said people working outdoors get skin cancer less than office workers and people working indoors.

i guess????? true

i think that when you expose your skin to the sun all your life it seems to make your skin look like leather when you get old.

#4 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:23 AM

Several things come to mind. The first is that many people don't apply sunscreen properly. To get the label claim SPF, you have to apply gobs and gobs. This may give them a false sense of security and consequently lead them to spend more time in the sun. LEF also had an article that may be of interest to you: Why Sunscreens Do Not Fully Prevent Skin Cancer

I also highly recommend the book The UV Advantage. Written by a dermatologist, but not one-sided or hysterical as is much of the information on sun exposure these days. On the plus side, sun exposure allows the body to produce vitamin D, which has some anticancer properties.

FYI, I use a nonsoap cleanser to which I add liberal amounts of matcha (powdered Japanese green tea). It has powerful antioxidant properties.

Welcome to the Immortality Institute!!

#5 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:39 AM

Biknut please google Kevin Trudeau--geeze.

Kevin Trudeau Banned from Infomercials
http://www.ftc.gov/o...rudeaucoral.htm

#6 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:02 AM

i think i saw Kevin Trudeau on tv saying that the sun doesn't cause skin cancer. he said people working outdoors get skin cancer less than office workers and people working indoors.

i guess?????    true

i  think that when you expose your skin to the sun all your life it seems to make your skin look like leather when you get old.

Kevin Trudeau isn't law, and learn to type... geez.

#7 gmayer

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:45 AM

dantecubit, curious about your matcha and non-soap cleanser recipe. do you use that as a sunscreen or just as an antioxidant lotion. many of the common sunscreens use chemicals that i don't believe should be applied to the skin on a regular basis.

have seen some interesting studies showing how african americans living in northern climates (areas with little sunshine) have much higher rates of cancer. seems to me that living outside the climate that caused one's skin to be the color it is may be harmful. unless you have some of this magic matcha lotion or something-g

#8 roof01

• 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

Photoaging?

http://www.skincarep...basicfacts.html

The question is, how much can you reduce this with good protection ...

#9 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:22 PM

dantecubit, curious about your matcha and non-soap cleanser recipe.  do you use that as a sunscreen or just as an antioxidant lotion.  many of the common sunscreens use chemicals that i don't believe should be applied to the skin on a regular basis. 

have seen some interesting studies showing how african americans living in northern climates (areas with little sunshine) have much higher rates of cancer. seems to me that living outside the climate that caused one's skin to be the color it is may be harmful.  unless you have some of this magic matcha lotion or something-g

I take some Nutribiotic non-soap cleanser and add a few teaspoons of matcha. It works best when the soap bottle is partially empty so you can shake it up. I don't use this as a lotion or sunscreen, just use it to wash in the shower.

If you are interested in preventing skin cancer and photoaging, UV-protective clothing is available. Unlike sunscreen it will always provide uniformly high sun protection. Google "SPF clothing" or something and you will get tons of results.

#10 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:21 PM

I followed the Nutrabiotic link and noticed a body gel, as well. I noticed something:

Our Super Shower Gel formulas ... Contains no sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamide DEA, free chlorine derivatives or colorings.

And in the next paragraph it says:

INGREDIENTS:
Purified water, sodium laureth sulfate (mild sudsing agent derived from coconut oil), cocamidopropyl betaine, soyamidopropylkonium chloride, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, hydroxypropyl trimonium vegetable protein...

Is that a little bit fudging?

-- Rick

#11 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

Rick,

I presume you're referring to:

Sodium laureth sulfate

I remember looking into it at one point.

1. I could not substantiate the..bad stuff commonly attributed to it and
2. If you wish to avoid it, good luck e.g. finding a toothpaste.

http://householdprod...ands&id=3008028
it is in colgate total

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

2. If you wish to avoid it, good luck e.g. finding a toothpaste.

http://www.vitacost....JasonToothpaste

i use that stuff, it works amazingly

#13 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:53 PM

OK but the risk benefit for me is such that no way I'm going to stop using the colgate total.

In general, here is where I depart company. I think any benefit you get from giving up sodium laureth sulfate is outweighted by the added benefits of colgate total (which are numerous). YMMV.

And like the gingko nonsense (before someone chimes in) I'm sure there is one or two people on the board who may be...particularly sensitive to sodium laureth sulfate--fine. but for the majority of people getting colgate total is recommended.

#14 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

So does anyone know the difference between sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate?

#15 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:08 AM

So does anyone know the difference between sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate?

I don't know the difference, but why did you imply that it was misleading of Nutribiotic to claim that their nonsoap cleanser "Contains no sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamide DEA"? If you don't know the difference between two similar sounding compounds it is unreasonable to think that they are somehow related.

#16 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:09 AM

... but why did you imply that it was misleading of Nutribiotic to claim that their nonsoap cleanser "Contains no sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamide DEA"? If you don't know the difference between two similar sounding compounds it is unreasonable to think that they are somehow related.

Whoa, Nellie. What I said was: "Is that a little bit fudging?"

I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean "imply," nor do I find it "unreasonable," nor that I know the difference. I would say that was called "a question." Is that a bad thing in your book?

-- Rick

#17 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:18 AM

... but why did you imply that it was misleading of Nutribiotic to claim that their nonsoap cleanser "Contains no sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamide DEA"? If you don't know the difference between two similar sounding compounds it is unreasonable to think that they are somehow related.

Whoa, Nellie. What I said was: "Is that a little bit fudging?"

I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean "imply," nor do I find it "unreasonable," nor that I know the difference. I would say that was called "a question." Is that a bad thing in your book?

-- Rick

Sorry, I misinterpreted. My apologies.

Damn, I also had this problem in the real world today. I never make the same mistake twice!

#18 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:41 PM

whats so good about colgate total?

#19 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:59 PM

I confess I don't remember the details as a friend who keeps up more on dental supps then I recommended it.

OTOH it is in you know who's regimen also:

http://www.imminst.o...f=169&t=3645&s=
Dental/Topical:

Toothpaste:
Colgate Total: Fluoride Ion (0.14% w/v), Triclosan (0.30%).

#20 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:12 AM

I confess I don't remember the details as a friend who keeps up more on dental supps then I recommended it.

OTOH it is in you know who's regimen also:

http://www.imminst.o...f=169&t=3645&s=
Dental/Topical:

Toothpaste:
Colgate Total: Fluoride Ion (0.14% w/v), Triclosan (0.30%).

LOL. I bought Listerine Tartar Control and Colgate Total because they are in LifeMirage's regimen. I thought, "Well, my level of supplementation is nowhere near this guy's... but at least my DENTAL health will be just as good!"

#21 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:37 AM

I'll post a dental regimen since no one else will see this here (or easily find it later).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:08 AM

You should all look into Melanotan. It's a pharmaceutical being designed in Australia to prevent skin cancer. It increases Melanin production in the skin so you tan without sun exposure which better protects you from the sun. It will be on the market in 2007-8 by prescription. Until then you can find suppliers online and I have lots I get from my geneticist relatives who order from a peptide synthesizer. If you're a research scientist, you can order Melanotan from peptide synthesizers for research purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users