* * * * - 1 votes

Why are so few using MELATONIN?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:34 AM

How is melatonin a nootropic?

sleep is a rather major step in memory consolidation.

with that said, i'm beginning to wonder whether or not a melatonin+5htp combo at night could be an effective booster.

#32 silverneedle

• 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

Just heard about a herb that provides 300mcg per capsule called Asphalia. From what ive read in general synthetic and manufactured hormones have different effects even though chemically identical. How can that be possible?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:49 AM

I have never heard of Melatonin being a nootropic. When I take it, I take 3mg about an hour prior to going to bed. However, I found if I take it for an extended period of time, that I get restless and do not sleep well. I stop taking it for about 2-3 weeks and during that time I sleep well. Melatonin is not something I can take continuously.

#34 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

I have never heard of Melatonin being a nootropic. When I take it, I take 3mg about an hour prior to going to bed. However, I found if I take it for an extended period of time, that I get restless and do not sleep well. I stop taking it for about 2-3 weeks and during that time I sleep well. Melatonin is not something I can take continuously.

it is not a nootropic. it might have adverse effect in memory formation as shown in many other studies. refer to my other post..... im not quite worried about cancer when im 60 as much as im worried as being an idiot studying for boards and such at the moment.

plus Pike, your argument for melatonin being a nootropic based on sleep and memory consolidation is false. I can say zolpidem or valium is a nootropic, since when i take it and sleep properly I retain memory, but zolpidem is obviously not a nootropic. Nootropic is an agent which affects cognition on its own. plus striking evidence shows that melatonin hinders memory consolidation during sleep.

Edited by medicineman, 10 December 2009 - 05:54 AM.

• dislike x 1

#35 Saber

• 110 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

it is not a nootropic. it might have adverse effect in memory formation as shown in many other studies. refer to my other post..... im not quite worried about cancer when im 60 as much as im worried as being an idiot studying for boards and such at the moment.

plus Pike, your argument for melatonin being a nootropic based on sleep and memory consolidation is false. I can say zolpidem or valium is a nootropic, since when i take it and sleep properly I retain memory, but zolpidem is obviously not a nootropic. Nootropic is an agent which affects cognition on its own. plus striking evidence shows that melatonin hinders memory consolidation during sleep.

Do you have the study that shows this?

#36 GiovanniR

• 80 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

I have been taking Melatonin for the last 3 years, has helped me greatly with some minor sleeping problems. My daily dose is usually 6 mg (2 pills), of course to be taken more or less half a hour before sleeping.
Never had any side effect.

#37 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

I take 3mg 1 hour before going to bed even tho I'm still young... Still the best thing to do to help with you circadian rhythm is to dim down the lights after 6pm ( depending on what time you go to bed ) and avoid light emitting activities 1 hour before going to bed and sleep in a dark room or cover your eyes but the best for a naturally balanced circadian rhythm is automated curtains opener scheduled at 30 to 1 hours the time you want to wake. Fancy stuff of course...

#38 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

I stumbled across this old, 1995 Life Extension Foundation article on melatonin. I tried melatonin a few years ago to help with sleep and I stayed with it because beyond helping with sleep I find it also puts me in a more optimistic, think enabled, clear minded type of mood the next day. What are your thoughts on this article? Have further studies verified or disproved these findings?

http://www.lef.org/m...ag95/95dec1.htm

Heres an excerpt:

"Since melatonin is the natural agent that prepares us for sleep and circulates in peak amounts while we sleep, it almost certainly plays a major role in the regenerative process. The fact that melatonin is extremely effective at penetrating the blood-brain barrier indicates that it may be especially beneficial in the repair, regeneration, and rejuvenation of the brain during sleep. Among the anti-aging effects of melatonin mentioned by Dr. Rozencwaig in the 1987 paper is the fact that melatonin stimulates natural antioxidant levels, improves DNA repair mechanisms, and enhances our neuroendocrine and immune systems."

And it goes into so many other things too, mood uplift, seeming tumor suppression, etc...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#39 koala_muncher

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

seems that melatonin at sufficient doses in a small study of rats demonstrated the same anti inflammatory effect as a non steroidal inflammatory and a steroidal anti inflammatory.  Amazing stuff considering the favourable comparison on side effects in favour of melatonin.   I calculated the human equivalent dose for peak anti inflammatory effect around 0.4 mg per kg or 28mg for a 70kg person.

http://www.idosi.org/gjp/4(2)10/4.pdf

• like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users