• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a MAO-A substrate or anything that activates MAO-A? (for activation of MAO-A)

mao-a maoa mao substrate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:49 PM

Since i got my results from 23AndMe i've searched in my 'raw data' for different reasons for my mental problems, and while few have been of interest, i found that according to genetic markers for me ('T', on the snp Rs6323),

the MAO-A enzyme activity is reduced.

Reduced MAO-A activity have been associated with aggression and irritability, the latter i have a problem with being most of the time,

so i thought i would try to increase the activation of the MAO-A enzyme to see if it changes anything, i have already tried SSRIs and an MAOA-inhibitor (Moclobemide),

none of which have reduced my irritability, sure, it could be environmental, but I'd still like to try see if it makes a difference.

So my question then; Is there any herb or medicine that increases MAO-A activation?

#2 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

Resveratrol has an effect on MAO-A that leads to an increase in dopamine, etc., to my knowledge, but that's probably the opposite you want.

You need to always check the frequency of the mutation in question before you jump to any wild conclusions.

The MAO-A R297R mutation is extremely common in the European population so it's almost certain that your issues are not related to it. I have this exact mutation as well but I don't have problems with irritation or aggression. Aggression is NOT linked to this mutation itself, either, as far as I know. I think you've confused the "warrior gene" mutation with this very common mutation. As far as I know, the "warrior gene" requires multiple mutations, not only one.

How do you check the frequency of a mutation? Well, besides Promethease reports which shows a semi-accurate estimation of frequency, there's this source  http://www.snpedia.c...ndex.php/Rs6323 (look in the bottom to the right where it shows the T variant in blue).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 the_apollo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:15 AM

Resveratrol has an effect on MAO-A that leads to an increase in dopamine, etc., to my knowledge, but that's probably the opposite you want.

You need to always check the frequency of the mutation in question before you jump to any wild conclusions.

The MAO-A R297R mutation is extremely common in the European population so it's almost certain that your issues are not related to it. I have this exact mutation as well but I don't have problems with irritation or aggression. Aggression is NOT linked to this mutation itself, either, as far as I know. I think you've confused the "warrior gene" mutation with this very common mutation. As far as I know, the "warrior gene" requires multiple mutations, not only one.

How do you check the frequency of a mutation? Well, besides Promethease reports which shows a semi-accurate estimation of frequency, there's this source  http://www.snpedia.c...ndex.php/Rs6323 (look in the bottom to the right where it shows the T variant in blue).

For one i dont tend to 'do' wild conclusions,

but to my question about MAO-A substrates and/or substances that activates it is that i not only am interested in seeing what activation instead of inhibition does,

but also to see if anything that activates MAO-A could be correlated with anything i've tried before as well as scientific studies, as i never functioned very well with MAO-inhibitor, MAO-A inhibition improves my mood a little, but since the only such i trialled was Moclobemide one could assume that it was the beta-blocking effects of the drug that improved my mood, since it was so subtle. 

Then for MAO-B ive tried a couple of herbal inhibitors as well as Selegiline, with terrible results (anhedonia, lack of emotionality but irritability persisted).

But sure, you are right, seems to be a common mutation, damn.. I was hoping something from the results from 23AndMe could point out why i'm always irritable.

#4 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:33 AM

but to my question about MAO-A substrates and/or substances that activates it is that i not only am interested in seeing what activation instead of inhibition does,

but also to see if anything that activates MAO-A could be correlated with anything i've tried before as well as scientific studies, as i never functioned very well with MAO-inhibitor, MAO-A inhibition improves my mood a little, but since the only such i trialled was Moclobemide one could assume that it was the beta-blocking effects of the drug that improved my mood, since it was so subtle. 

Then for MAO-B ive tried a couple of herbal inhibitors as well as Selegiline, with terrible results (anhedonia, lack of emotionality but irritability persisted).

But sure, you are right, seems to be a common mutation, damn.. I was hoping something from the results from 23AndMe could point out why i'm always irritable.

I have my own problems that I know are genetic in origin that I want to treat and 23andme is not sufficient for me because the amount of data they provide is minimal (less than 10% of the full genome).

This is where https://www.fullgeno...m/purchases/5/? comes in, but they're very expensive (though cheapest when compared). 1850 dollars for a full coverage (30x) full genome. Coverage refers to the re-reading of the same base to avoid errors in sequencing.

If you were to actually order such a test and get the results, I would love to hear your experiences with their service.

Besides this, if you're groggy, couldn't it be as simple as heightened noradrenaline/adrenaline, which supposedly is the same which causes teenagers to become irritable and hyper if they don't eat (but irritable and hyper anyways)?

Perhaps you could try l-phenylalanine and see if it worsens your problem; if it does, it's possible that the above is correct.

#5 the_apollo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

I have my own problems that I know are genetic in origin that I want to treat and 23andme is not sufficient for me because the amount of data they provide is minimal (less than 10% of the full genome).

This is where https://www.fullgeno...m/purchases/5/? comes in, but they're very expensive (though cheapest when compared). 1850 dollars for a full coverage (30x) full genome. Coverage refers to the re-reading of the same base to avoid errors in sequencing.

If you were to actually order such a test and get the results, I would love to hear your experiences with their service.

Besides this, if you're groggy, couldn't it be as simple as heightened noradrenaline/adrenaline, which supposedly is the same which causes teenagers to become irritable and hyper if they don't eat (but irritable and hyper anyways)?

Perhaps you could try l-phenylalanine and see if it worsens your problem; if it does, it's possible that the above is correct.

I have tried DL-phenylalanine before, with no change in mood at least that i remember.

And i have tried two different noradrenaline-receptor inhibitors, the first one was guanfacine, which didnt do anything for my ADHD or in this case irritability, it just made me sleepy,

and the other one i tried was clonidine, with same results as guanfacine.

And i mean, if my irritability was caused by heightened noradrenaline, shouldnt one of those two medicines have ameliorated the irritability?

I should mention that i have (and by diagnose) ADHD and anxiety, and though anxiety have been known to cause irritability,

im not a hundred percent sure that my irritability is that easely explained as just being a component baseed on my anxiety..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

afaik irritability could be also serotonine related.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mao-a, maoa, mao substrate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users