• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 16 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside [Curated]

nicotinamide riboside nicotinamide nad boosting charles brenner david sinclair leonard guarente niagen niacinamide nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2255 replies to this topic

#331 Ethic

• 52 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

It seems that longevity is associated with a higher poly- ADP-ribosylation capacity as PARP is increased by 1.6-fold in centenarians (1998)

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9587069

Nicotinamide is a better precursor of NAD+ in mice, while niacin is rapidly cleared by conversion to nicotinamide and excreted as nicotinuric acid (1972)

http://www.jbc.org/c.../247/3/778.long

#332 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

stefan, it is great to hear that your dad is OK. I take around 500 mg of N.R. myself.

Bryan, it is exciting, I just thought we had a breakthrough study.

As important as the issue of T.B.I is for sports, it is perhaps more important to protect the men and women that we put in harms way. NR could be a very inexpensive profilactic for any troops who might be at risk either in training or active service.

There was a study referenced in a thread a couple years ago regarding intranasal NAD+, but did not seem to gain traction.

"Prevention of Traumatic Brain Injury-Induced Neuron Death by Intranasal Delivery of Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide

I'm sorry if the title mislead you.

You likely know how I feel. Its my belief that first responders should have an intranasal or an injectible form of a NAD+ precursor for any head, spinal or cardiac trauma patient. I think the breakthrough insights have already taken place, now its more about convinsing the medical establishment and putting this tech out there.

It feels like this stuff is moving at a snails pace but there needed to be a convergence of research to ring all the right bells. Let's not even bring up the legal because who can stop a parent from saying little Jimmy's brain injury wasn't treated correctly because he now suffers from reduced capacity. So this will be a slippery area as the medical treatment is rolled out because with head injury there are no guarantees. We can only hope to blunt the severity.

Review the previous link and glance at the references they offer. Its only been about an 8-year timesapan where the data became really convincing.

There was also an interesting study outlining the "cytoskeleton NAD+ and TBI." What many people don't appreciate is the length of axons and how difficult it is to keep the injured appendages alive so far away from the cell body. It comes down to mitocondrial transportation See Interactions of mitochondria with the actin cytoskeleton. So not only are these highways severed, they have to be repaired so the NAD+ can be manufactured at the other sites of injury.

See video. The little buggers crawl around using the actin cytoskeleton. These can be broken by TBI. It also becomes easer to understand the cytoskeletal pathologies like Alzheimer Disease when these mitochondrial pathways become a tangled mess and the NAD+ machinery can't move freely. 

Since I began reading about NAD+ and TBI in the mid 1990's, things are now moving pretty fast considering you can't just offer up a living human brain for concussive scientific research. In fact some of the NAD+ animal study data has been pretty convincing sugesting the same therapies can help in instances of stroke as well. 2nd link 3rd link

I know as you look over those referenced studies your going to feel they could and should have moved this way sooner. In fact it was the early research that started my NAD+ boosting interest because I had a family member with a neurological ailment. I expect in some research circles there is more known about treating TBI than we as civilians have access to read. In fact I expect the US DoD efforts are much further along than the civilian efforts because of blast related injuries.

I can point to the Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (PH/TBI) Research Program which was additionally funded with Congressional Appropriations because there is so much more awareness about the problem today. There was an announcement just last year where (MOMRP) Military Operational Medicine Research Program received additional funding. See Link

I think the breakthrough is in and it needs to be proven in a human model to be widely accepted by sporting and medical authorities.

This part is just opinion. It's too bad the University of Minnesota study has to have a placebo test group but we know it must. Think how that group might be affected from TBI in the years to come compared to the (NR) group? My kid is grown now but if he were still involved in contact sports I know what I'd do.  As far as I'm concerned we shouldn't waste any more time implementing this now that (NR) has been given GRAS status. That's just the way I feel.  

Edited by Bryan_S, 30 March 2016 - 08:55 AM.

• like x 2

#333 jeffrg

• 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

You all post some great research in these forums.  I was defending the use of NR and other supplements on FB from some that were calling it a scam (as supposedly all longevity drugs are scams).  Part of my response was - go to LongeCity and educate yourself.  But I don't expect they'll be wading through the forums.  It would be great if all these research papers were categorized for us.  So I could go (and link) to the NR or NAD+ research page and we could see the ongoing research publications in one place.  Maybe a LongeCity Wiki?  Lol  Maybe that will be what external sites, like Tom's will do.  Thanks again for the great posts.

• Agree x 5

#334 HappyPaul

• 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

You all post some great research in these forums.  I was defending the use of NR and other supplements on FB from some that were calling it a scam (as supposedly all longevity drugs are scams).  Part of my response was - go to LongeCity and educate yourself.  But I don't expect they'll be wading through the forums.  It would be great if all these research papers were categorized for us.  So I could go (and link) to the NR or NAD+ research page and we could see the ongoing research publications in one place.  Maybe a LongeCity Wiki?  Lol  Maybe that will be what external sites, like Tom's will do.  Thanks again for the great posts.

The lesson is don't share.  I share very sparingly after having to endure a relative who got involved in a Utah based Multi Level Marketing, MLM, Vitamin group.  No one could stand to be around her.  Talking about this to people on the outside sounds like you are a MLM cult member.   I am following this information, I am taking NR through Basis and my wife and I have experienced improvements.  

I am interested in it and related info both for my own personal health and for investment purposes. I honestly believe we are witnessing the beginning of a new era similar to tech, networking, the internet and PCs circa 1976.  Few people know, few people understand but the impact of what is going on could be huge and there is a good chance the first trillion dollar company will be one that cracks the ageing nut.  I am spreading some money around in different areas, gene editing, NR and other areas.  Some areas will fail but those that don't have possible huge upsides.  

Sorry to bring the specter of $ into the thread but I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that this is part of the reason I am so interested but this interest in NR only came after I experienced first hand benefits.  

• like x 1

#335 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:40 AM

Talking about this to people on the outside sounds like you are a MLM cult member. 

Yea Paul I think we are all part of the lunatic fringe. :-) Either we are really gullible or the rest of the world is just too lazy to read the science journals. I separate the marketing from the journal publications and I can't stand the crap I read from these marketing guys. In fact most of us have pretty high standards to post here. That's why we have a needs references button to let the guys who pitch from the hip they have to back up what they post.

jeffry welcome to the forum.

Update:

Nice use of the needs references button  ;)  you added some humor to the point I was inferring. We have the ability to judge the reasoning of the opinions here and separate them from academic studies with our responses. When the 2 are offered (Opinion supported by a study excerpt) side by side it adds validity to the ideas posted no doubt. Hopefully we don't come across as zealots here but the depth of research is pretty compelling and the fundamental B3 benefits were recorded long before (NR) arrived and focused scientific attention, so the foundation for the physiology was already there.

Edited by Bryan_S, 02 April 2016 - 05:52 AM.

• Cheerful x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#336 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

Parp mutations protect against mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration in a PARKIN model of Parkinson’s disease

http://www.nature.co...dis201672a.html

• Informative x 1

#337 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

I found this unpublicized study regarding Pfizer's Acipimox to boost NAD+ levels. If not for the negative results on Non esterified fatty acids (NEFA) and insulin sensitivity this could have been a winner for Pfizer. (See Link for Elevated NEFA) They point to "NAD+ precursors that are devoid of such side effects, such as nicotinamide riboside or nicotinamide mononucleotide," so they may still be searching for another molecule to call their own.

I think this study helps exemplify the search for compounds that do what NR already has been shown to accomplish. Pfizer already had control and clinical drug approval over this compound and wished to extend its use.

Evidence for a direct effect of the NAD+ precursor Acipimox on muscle mitochondrial function in humans

http://diabetes.diab...4-0667.full.pdf

#338 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

How a Natural Molecule May Protect Against Autoimmune Diseases

I don’t often revisit the oldies but in my daily search for NAD+ / (NR) news I found this study being touted as a NR benefit. So I checked to see if we'd covered this finding on this thread and we had but it received lackluster enthusiasm. Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

This was the featured study link by the American Medical Association that kicked off the post.

autoimmune.jpg

One of our board members found this PDF study Link and posted it on the thread. It also was featured in Nature. So boosting NAD+ can regulate  CD4+ T-cell differentiation. That's enormous! I think the only reason it didn't receive more attention is it was eclipsed by the (NR) hearing study which received bigger headlines.

Also see "T helper cell"

Edited by Bryan_S, 05 April 2016 - 07:36 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#339 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

New strategies in sport nutrition to increase exercise performance

http://www.sciencedi...891584916000307

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26855422

nutrion-2016.png

Despite over 50 years of research, the field of sports nutrition continues to grow at a rapid rate. Whilst the traditional research focus was one that centred on strategies to maximise competition performance, emerging data in the last decade has demonstrated how both macronutrient and micronutrient availability can play a prominent role in regulating those cell signalling pathways that modulate skeletal muscle adaptations to endurance and resistance training. Nonetheless, in the context of exercise performance, it is clear that carbohydrate (but not fat) still remains king and that carefully chosen ergogenic aids (e.g. caffeine, creatine, sodium bicarbonate, beta-alanine, nitrates) can all promote performance in the correct exercise setting. In relation to exercise training, however, it is now thought that strategic periods of reduced carbohydrate and elevated dietary protein intake may enhance training adaptations whereas high carbohydrate availability and antioxidant supplementation may actually attenuate training adaptation. Emerging evidence also suggests that vitamin D may play a regulatory role in muscle regeneration and subsequent hypertrophy following damaging forms of exercise. Finally, novel compounds (albeit largely examined in rodent models) such as epicatechins, nicotinamide riboside, resveratrol, β-hydroxy β-methylbutyrate, phosphatidic acid and ursolic acid may also promote or attenuate skeletal muscle adaptations to endurance and strength training. When taken together, it is clear that sports nutrition is very much at the heart of the Olympic motto, Citius, Altius, Fortius (faster, higher, stronger).

Edited by Bryan_S, 05 April 2016 - 11:35 PM.

• Informative x 1

#340 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Is this good or bad?

Javamide-ll (Coffee) inhibits sirts 2 and 1.

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0150392

Abstract

Recent studies suggest that Sirt inhibition may have beneficial effects on several human diseases such as neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. Coffee is one of most popular beverages with several positive health effects. Therefore, in this paper, potential Sirt inhibitors were screened using coffee extract. First, HPLC was utilized to fractionate coffee extract, then screened using a Sirt1/2 inhibition assay. The screening led to the isolation of a potent Sirt1/2 inhibitor, whose structure was determined as javamide-II (N-caffeoyltryptophan) by NMR. For confirmation, the amide was chemically synthesized and its capacity of inhibiting Sirt1/2 was also compared with the isolated amide. Javamide-II inhibited Sirt2 (IC50; 8.7μM) better than Sirt1(IC50; 34μM). Since javamide-II is a stronger inhibitor for Sirt2 than Sirt1. The kinetic study was performed against Sirt2. The amide exhibited noncompetitive Sirt2 inhibition against the NAD+ (Ki = 9.8 μM) and showed competitive inhibition against the peptide substrate (Ki = 5.3 μM). Also, a docking simulation showed stronger binding pose of javamide-II to Sirt2 than AGK2. In cellular levels, javamide-II was able to increase the acetylation of total lysine, cortactin and histone H3 in neuronal NG108-15 cells. In the same cells, the amide also increased the acetylation of lysine (K382) in p53, but not (K305). This study suggests that Javamide-II found in coffee may be a potent Sirt1/2 inhibitor, probably with potential use in some conditions of human diseases.

• Informative x 1

#341 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

Is this good or bad?

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0150392

Abstract

Recent studies suggest that Sirt inhibition may have beneficial effects on several human diseases such as neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. Coffee is one of most popular beverages with several positive health effects. Therefore, in this paper, potential Sirt inhibitors were screened using coffee extract. First, HPLC was utilized to fractionate coffee extract, then screened using a Sirt1/2 inhibition assay. The screening led to the isolation of a potent Sirt1/2 inhibitor, whose structure was determined as javamide-II (N-caffeoyltryptophan) by NMR. For confirmation, the amide was chemically synthesized and its capacity of inhibiting Sirt1/2 was also compared with the isolated amide. Javamide-II inhibited Sirt2 (IC50; 8.7μM) better than Sirt1(IC50; 34μM). Since javamide-II is a stronger inhibitor for Sirt2 than Sirt1. The kinetic study was performed against Sirt2. The amide exhibited noncompetitive Sirt2 inhibition against the NAD+ (Ki = 9.8 μM) and showed competitive inhibition against the peptide substrate (Ki = 5.3 μM). Also, a docking simulation showed stronger binding pose of javamide-II to Sirt2 than AGK2. In cellular levels, javamide-II was able to increase the acetylation of total lysine, cortactin and histone H3 in neuronal NG108-15 cells. In the same cells, the amide also increased the acetylation of lysine (K382) in p53, but not (K305). This study suggests that Javamide-II found in coffee may be a potent Sirt1/2 inhibitor, probably with potential use in some conditions of human diseases.

its also mentioned here with some speculation/reasoning:

Coffee makes you old? Study indicates that coffee extract inhibits SIRT1/2

http://timelesslifem...nhibits-sirt12/

uhh maybe I cut back coffee a little....

Edited by stefan_001, 06 April 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#342 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

Is this good or bad?

I'm going to give this one some time for further confirmation. I believe the results but the concentrations may have been high in those cell cultures. In an ideal world I could do without the stuff and I'm drinking less lately so at some point I might drop it all together.

#343 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

Complementation of mitochondrial electron transport chain by manipulation of the NAD+/NADH ratio

Denis V. Titov,1,2,3* Valentin Cracan,1,2,3* Russell P. Goodman,1,4 Jun Peng,1 Zenon Grabarek,1,3 Vamsi K. Mootha1,2,3† 

A decline in electron transport chain (ETC) activity is associated with many human diseases. Although diminished mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate production is recognized as a source of pathology, the contribution of the associated reduction in the ratio of the amount of oxidized nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) to that of its reduced form (NADH) is less clear. We used a water-forming NADH oxidase from Lactobacillus brevis (LbNOX) as a genetic tool for inducing a compartment-specific increase of the NAD+/NADH ratio in human cells. We used LbNOX to demonstrate the dependence of key metabolic fluxes, gluconeogenesis, and signaling on the cytosolic or mitochondrial NAD+/NADH ratios. Expression of LbNOX in the cytosol or mitochondria ameliorated proliferative and metabolic 

defects caused by an impaired ETC. The results underscore the role of reductive stress in mitochondrial pathogenesis and demonstrate the utility of targeted LbNOX for direct, compartment-specific manipulation of redox state. 

http://science.scien...2/6282/231.full

#344 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

Nicotinamide mononucleotide supplementation reverses vascular dysfunction and oxidative stress with aging in mice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26970090

Nicotinamide mononucleotide supplementation reverses vascular dysfunction and oxidative stress with aging in mice

1. Natalie E. de Picciotto1
  2. Lindsey B. Gano1,†,§
  3. Lawrence C. Johnson1,§
  4. Christopher R. Martens1
  5. Amy L. Sindler1,‡
  6. Kathryn F. Mills2
  7. Shin-ichiro Imai2 and
  8. Douglas R. Seals1,*

Article first published online: 11 MAR 2016

The full article is available

http://onlinelibrary...acel.12461/full

"In the present study, 8 weeks of NMN supplementation restored a marker of arterial SIRT1 activity and ameliorated age-associated endothelial dysfunction and large elastic artery stiffening in male C57Bl/6 mice. These improvements were associated with restored NO bioavailability, reduced oxidative stress, and complete or partial normalization of structural proteins in the arterial wall. Overall, our findings provide the first evidence supporting the promising translational potential of NMN supplementation for the treatment of arterial aging."

#345 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:03 AM

Safety assessment of nicotinamide riboside, a form of vitamin B

DB Conze1, J Crespo-Barreto1 and CL Kruger

Hum Exp Toxicol 0960327115626254first published on January 20, 2016 as doi:10.1177/0960327115626254

Abstract 

Human and Experimental Toxicology 1–12 a The Author(s) 2016 Reprints and permission: sagepub.co.uk/journalsPermissions.nav DOI: 10.1177/0960327115626254 het.sagepub.com 

Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a naturally occurring form of vitamin B3 present in trace amounts in some foods. Like niacin, it has been shown to be a precursor in the biosynthesis of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+). The safety of Niagen TM, a synthetic form of NR, was determined using a bacterial reverse mutagenesis assay (Ames), an in vitro chromosome aberration assay, an in vivo micronucleus assay, and acute, 14-day and 90-day rat toxicology studies. NR was not genotoxic. There was no mortality at an oral dose of 5000 mg/kg. Based on the results of a 14-day study, a 90-day study was performed comparing NR at 300, 1000, and 3000 mg/kg/day to an equimolar dose of nicotinamide at 1260 mg/kg/day as a positive control. Results from the study show that NR had a similar toxicity profile to nicotinamide at the highest dose tested. Target organs of toxicity were liver, kidney, ovaries, and testes. The lowest observed adverse effect level for NR was 1000 mg/kg/day, and the no observed adverse effect level was 300 mg/kg/day. 

http://het.sagepub.c...4.full.pdf html

• Informative x 2
  • like x 2

#346 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

First published ahead of print April 6, 2016 as doi: 10.3945/jn.116.230078. 

The Journal of Nutrition 

Genomics, Proteomics, and Metabolomics 

Nicotinamide Riboside Is a Major NAD+ Precursor Vitamin in Cow Milk1–3
Samuel AJ Trammell,4,5 Liping Yu,4,6 Philip Redpath,7 Marie E Migaud,4,7 and Charles Brenner4,5

http://jn.nutrition....8a-22a55b7f313f

4Department of Biochemistry, Carver College of Medicine, 5Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Genetics, and 6Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Facility, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA; and 7Queen’s University Belfast, School of Pharmacy, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom 

Abstract 

"Background: Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a recently discovered NAD+ precursor vitamin with a unique biosynthetic pathway. Although the presence of NR in cow milk has been known for more than a decade, the concentration of NR with respect to the other NAD+ precursors was unknown.
Objective: We aimed to determine NAD+ precursor vitamin concentration in raw samples of milk from individual cows and from commercially available cow milk. 

Methods: LC tandem mass spectrometry and isotope dilution technologies were used to quantify NAD+ precursor vitamin concentration and to measure NR stability in raw and commercial milk. Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy was used to test for NR binding to substances in milk.
Results: Cow milk typically contained ;12 mmol NAD+ precursor vitamins/L, of which 60% was present as nicotinamide and 40% was present as NR. Nicotinic acid and other NAD+ metabolites were below the limits of detection. Milk from samples testing positive for Staphylococcus aureus contained lower concentrations of NR (Spearman r = 20.58, P = 0.014), and NR was degraded by S. aureus. Conventional milk contained more NR than milk sold as organic. Nonetheless, NR was stable in organic milk and exhibited an NMR spectrum consistent with association with a protein fraction in skim milk. Conclusions: NR is a major NAD+ precursor vitamin in cow milk. Control of S. aureus may be important to preserve the NAD+ precursor vitamin concentration of milk. J Nutr doi: 10.3945/jn.116.230078.
"

Keywords: LC-MS, metabolomics, milk, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, pellagra-preventive factor 

Edited by Bryan_S, 22 April 2016 - 05:04 AM.
added reference

#347 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:48 PM

The Journal of Nutrition 

Samuel AJ Trammell,4,5 Liping Yu,4,6 Philip Redpath,7 Marie E Migaud,4,7 and Charles Brenner4,5

4Department of Biochemistry, Carver College of Medicine, 5Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Genetics, and 6Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Facility, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA; and 7Queen’s University Belfast, School of Pharmacy, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom 

Abstract 

"Background: Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a recently discovered NAD+ precursor vitamin with a unique biosynthetic pathway. Although the presence of NR in cow milk has been known for more than a decade, the concentration of NR with respect to the other NAD+ precursors was unknown.
Objective: We aimed to determine NAD+ precursor vitamin concentration in raw samples of milk from individual cows and from commercially available cow milk. 

Methods: LC tandem mass spectrometry and isotope dilution technologies were used to quantify NAD+ precursor vitamin concentration and to measure NR stability in raw and commercial milk. Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy was used to test for NR binding to substances in milk.
Results: Cow milk typically contained ;12 mmol NAD+ precursor vitamins/L, of which 60% was present as nicotinamide and 40% was present as NR. Nicotinic acid and other NAD+ metabolites were below the limits of detection. Milk from samples testing positive for Staphylococcus aureus contained lower concentrations of NR (Spearman r = 20.58, P = 0.014), and NR was degraded by S. aureus. Conventional milk contained more NR than milk sold as organic. Nonetheless, NR was stable in organic milk and exhibited an NMR spectrum consistent with association with a protein fraction in skim milk. Conclusions: NR is a major NAD+ precursor vitamin in cow milk. Control of S. aureus may be important to preserve the NAD+ precursor vitamin concentration of milk. J Nutr doi: 10.3945/jn.116.230078.
"

Keywords: LC-MS, metabolomics, milk, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, pellagra-preventive factor 

So, could someone convert that to mg per litre, I just got myself very confused trying, but then again everything I've touched today has gone that way. :(

#348 meth_use_lah

• 72 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:30 AM

The Journal of Nutrition 

Abstract 

"

So, could someone convert that to mg per litre, I just got myself very confused trying, but then again everything I've touched today has gone that way. :(

So checking the paper it should be µmol/L not mmol/L.

The measured range in commercial milk both conventional and organic was according to the study 0.84-5.4 µmol/L NR.

The molar mass of NR is 255.25 g/mol.

0.84*10^-6*255.25*10^3 = 0.21441

0.2144-1.3784 mg/L NR

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#349 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

So checking the paper it should be µmol/L not mmol/L.

The measured range in commercial milk both conventional and organic was according to the study 0.84-5.4 µmol/L NR.

The molar mass of NR is 255.25 g/mol.

0.84*10^-6*255.25*10^3 = 0.21441

0.2144-1.3784 mg/L NR

Thank you very much :)

#350 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

that is cow milk, what about other milks from animals or human?

#351 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

April 15th 2016 will begin our next Nicotinamide Riboside Group Buy discount.

http://www.longecity...e-8#entry769877

• Informative x 1

#352 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:34 AM

These guys also did some calculations.

http://www.timelessl...de-in-cow-milk/

"We can use the molar mass of NR (255 g/mol) to calculate how many milligram of NR a liter of milk contains: commercial milk has on average 0.8mg of NR / Liter. To put that to perspective Niagen supplements on the market provide 250mg of Nicotinamide Riboside per portion. That would require drinking some 300L of milk."

• like x 1

#353 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:50 AM

"We can use the molar mass of NR (255 g/mol) to calculate how many milligram of NR a liter of milk contains: commercial milk has on average 0.8mg of NR / Liter. To put that to perspective Niagen supplements on the market provide 250mg of Nicotinamide Riboside per portion. That would require drinking some 300L of milk."

"The researchers also noted that NR is more stable in milk than water."

Would that mean it would be more beneficial to take NR (Niagen) with milk rather than water?

#354 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

"The researchers also noted that NR is more stable in milk than water."

Would that mean it would be more beneficial to take NR (Niagen) with milk rather than water?

That is interesting when Chromadex and P&G announced a cooperation / deal they refered to developping a stable version of NR

• Good Point x 1

#355 albedo

• 2,071 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

I am trying to follow the interesting work of the Prof. Auwerx's lab at EPFL (LISP, Laboratory of Integrative Systems Physiology) and thought useful to log it here as a resource for the research on NAD+ precursors and nicotinamide riboside:

http://www.limna.ch/...ating_teams/134

One interesting topics of research when reading the following sentence from their work could be related to the nutrigenetics of OXPHOS and the impact of nicotinamide riboside:

"...We recently demonstrated that the mitochondrial unfolded protein response (UPRmt) contributes to the control of mitochondrial function and health- and lifespan in the mouse. Interference with mitochondrial translation, either through genetic (mutations of the mitochondrial ribosomal proteins) or pharmacological strategies (e.g. doxycycline), reduces the production of mtDNA encoded ETC components, resulting into a mito-nuclear imbalance between mtDNA and nDNA encoded OXPHOS proteins, which subsequently activates UPRmt. UPRmt will then induce a reparative response that restores mitochondrial function, which in the worm is also linked with the extension of lifespan. Interestingly, compounds that activate mitochondrial biogenesis, such as rapamycin and resveratrol, as well as NAD+ precursors and PARP inhibitors, also induced UPRmt with beneficial effects on mitochondrial function and organismal health. Targeting the UPRmt may hence improve mitochondrial dysfunction and favorably impact on healthspan..."(bold mine)

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#356 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

i wonder if fermented milk turned into yogurt increases NR and makes it more bioavailable. any assumptions on this?

#357 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:25 AM

That is interesting when Chromadex and P&G announced a cooperation / deal they referred to developing a stable version of NR

I think I remember reading "Stability analyses showed that when Niagen was dissolved in water, NR was stable up to 6 h at room temperature and 7 days at 2–8 C." See page 4 I believe it has to do with the wet state being that it is stabilized as a salt and that's a consideration needed for P&G skin care products, beverages or wet medical preparations. Guess if it doesn't break down in Milk there has to be something that can stabilize the molecule in the wet state.

This situation made me wander why Basis from Elysium Health lost their wet ingredients and went dry, guess we now know why. We can only assume the product lost its potency after 6 hours when packaged in water. This also explains why they stopped production for a short time, it was to reformulate the encapsulation to move to the dry state.

BASIS.jpg

So lesson learned, for those of us who might mix our (NR) into nutritional shakes or beverages we should consider the fact that "NR was stable up to 6 h at room temperature and 7 days at 2–8 C." when mixed with water.

I see a dislike for this post already, why? Is the linked data wrong - Is my assessment of the linked data wrong - Is the advice of mixing shakes or drinks for use within 6 hours flawed - or were you a Basis user through their wet period? I can't fix that if the last one was the case. They seem to have corrected that because I checked the current ingredient list and they appear to have fixed the problem. So that should be a thumbs up or something, right? An uncomfortable realization maybe. I don't think we want to hold back this kind of information. None of us on this forum were aware this was a problem and now we know more because we've asked the right questions about the data from 2 separate studies and the P&G announcement. One of us can ask someone at ChromaDex if this is the case but the studies were clear on this point.

Edited by Bryan_S, 12 April 2016 - 11:41 AM.
request for clarification of dislike

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#358 Ohm

• 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

My understanding is that they changed from the little blue pill to the plain capsule because of consumer complaints due to synthetic ingredients such as blue dye, etc.

• unsure x 1
  • Agree x 1

#359 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

My understanding is that they changed from the little blue pill to the plain capsule because of consumer complaints due to synthetic ingredients such as blue dye, etc.

Maybe they weren't aware of the stabilization issue when mixed with water. Either way issue fixed. 

#360 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Maybe they weren't aware of the stabilization issue when mixed with water. Either way issue fixed. 

Hi Bryan, it just so happens I have a few Basis sofgels's here. I just cut one of them open and it seems to be more of a green/yellow oil than water based And I'll tell you this, I just found out why its in a tab, it tastes terrible.. :|? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide, nad boosting, charles brenner, david sinclair, leonard guarente, niagen, niacinamide, nicotinamide mononucleotide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By