• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 16 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside [Curated]

nicotinamide riboside nicotinamide nad boosting charles brenner david sinclair leonard guarente niagen niacinamide nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2255 replies to this topic

#781 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:49 AM

Also guys if you do plan on purchasing NMN there is a booming market in FAKE NMN as there is in FAKE NR, so Caveat Emptor or buyer beware.

Hi Bryan. About the fake NR, do you mean seller that claim to sell the Niagen branded product? 

No ChromaDex hasn't found anyone faking their branded product to my knowledge. They have found a number of sales outfits marketing "Nicotinamide Riboside" and they routinely purchase it for testing. No other manufacturing source for (NR) has yet been found. This could change in the future but as of today no secondary source has been uncovered. ChromaDex's Venders/distributers can be found in their official press releases. Typically if you combined the name of the vender in question, with ChromaDex as search terms you'll see when the partnership was initiated in one of their PR's. If you still can't confirm the vender just write ChromaDex and they will verify the sales outfit for you.

An NMN source has been identified/verified in Japan as I mentioned packaged in 60 50mg capsules for $1100. Another unverifiable source has also come on-line but they appear to import from China. They are selling 3.6 grams of what they are calling NMN for about $60. A retail bottle of Niagen from HPN is 7.5 grams for $47. So of the 2 sources of NMN one is verified and the second is suspect. Both are much more expensive than ChromaDex's product so you'd have to believe its 2X or more potent. As we've learned NMN is likely converted to NR at the cell Membrane anyway for absorption so many of us ask is there anything to be gained? 

I expect soon we'll see a number of Nutritional and Pharmaceutical compounding companies in the EU and the USA buying what the Chinese are claiming is Nicotinamide Mononucleotide and selling it under their company banners. As I said before all I can say is Caveat emptor. If the deal looks too good to be true it likely is.

I'm just putting out the NMN warning because basement businesses are wanting a piece of the NAD+ Repletion market and I expect rather than tempt ChromaDex's scrutiny because of the patents they'll take a easier path where they don't think anyones watching.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#782 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

Speaking of NMN,whatever happened to the human trial David Sinclair said he was going to conduct in humans a couple of years ago? Does anyone know the trail happen? 

#783 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:48 AM

No one would use such large dose of Na knowing the RDA for a adult is around 20mg. And the effect on liver is logic since it posses the preiss handler pathway and nicotinamide will indeed also have some bad effect on liver like that but to a lesser extend since it will play via Nampt. I replied to almost all of that and also covered wich tissue possess what here :

Hi Tom,

No not everyone is aware which is my point. I know many people who are very responsible with Na and I know others who will megadose. So I don't assume everyone will search for the pharmacokinetics and check for toxicity and dosage. So we have some responsibility to our readers to mention this as we discuss the precursor options. Thats all I'm saying.

We were talking about CD38 and how it was destroying our NAD+ and that lead to conversation about inhibitors like Apigenin. But in all that excitement did I hear anyone talk about Apigenin toxicity? Seriously, did anyone discuss half-life? Did you know it can build up in the body?

It has whats considered a good safety profile. However it has a half-life of 91.8 hours and it has a rather slow absorption and a slow elimination phase. Thus, a possible accumulation of this flavonoid in the body can be inferred if your consuming it faster than your eliminating it.

https://examine.com/...ments/apigenin/

https://drugs-forum....?title=Apigenin

So as the excitement of these new prospects for increasing NAD+ spreads and people start ordering them on-line lets not assume everyone's researching safe dosages. 

Edited by Bryan_S, 26 June 2016 - 07:08 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#784 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Speaking of NMN,whatever happened to the human trial David Sinclair said he was going to conduct in humans a couple of years ago? Does anyone know the trail happen? 

I believe he was involved with Prof. Shinichiro Imai of Washington University and he is moving into human trials.

#785 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

No one would use such large dose of Na knowing the RDA for a adult is around 20mg. And the effect on liver is logic since it posses the preiss handler pathway and nicotinamide will indeed also have some bad effect on liver like that but to a lesser extend since it will play via Nampt. I replied to almost all of that and also covered wich tissue possess what here :

Hi Tom,

No not everyone is aware which is my point. I know many people who are very responsible with Na and I know others who will megadose. So I don't assume everyone will search for the pharmacokinetics and check for toxicity and dosage. So we have some responsibility to our readers to mention this as we discuss the precursor options. Thats all I'm saying.

We were talking about CD38 and how it was destroying our NAD+ and that lead to conversation about inhibitors like Apigenin. But in all that excitement did I hear anyone talk about Apigenin toxicity? Seriously, did anyone discuss half-life? Did you know it can build up in the body?

It has whats considered a good safety profile. However it has a half-life of 91.8 hours and it has a rather slow absorption and a slow elimination phase. Thus, a possible accumulation of this flavonoid in the body can be inferred if your consuming it faster than your eliminating it.

So as the excitement of these new prospects for increasing NAD+ spreads and people start ordering them on-line lets not assume everyone researching safe dosages.

Tom if you don't mind can you please share what supplements you take and what effects you notice?

#786 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

This is really the way forward in my view and George Church is saying it should be underway in human trials in the next year. I am not convinced by the NR data personally and I think only very robust gene edits will lead to long term solutions to age related NAD decline. Supplements can sometimes be useful of course but I am waiting on Church to deliver far more robust solutions.

I'll believe those trials when I see them.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  NR is an incremental step in the right direction.

#787 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Derek Lowe's In the Pipeline Column

Derek Lowe is normally a great read and typically insightful.  

But I would point to this specific comment as being a dose of reality:

I see four objections in your article:

1. The word “detoxification” is often associated with procedures and supplements that are not supported by science.

This is true, but it doesn’t seem like a strong objection to me. Yes, the word is frequently misused, but that doesn’t make the process insignificant. Are you seriously arguing that detoxification is unimportant? Some of the health effects of vitamin C are related to free-radical scavenging. If a firm selling supplements advertised vitamin C as involved in “detoxification,” the claim would be absolutely true, yet presumably you’d still label them “quacks.” Monooxygenases are among the most important enzymes involved in detoxifying organic molecules by oxidizing them and thereby rendering them easier to excrete. NAD+ and NADP+ are cofactors for monooxygenases. Is your evidence that NAD+ is _not_ involved in important detoxification processes as strong as Guarante’s evidence that it is?

2. The products Guarante is selling are already available and are considered safe.

Again, this doesn’t seem like a very powerful criticism. The very fact that the available profit is small, since no patent is available and the products are already on the market, makes me think it’s _less_ likely to be a scam. You acknowledge that you haven’t checked prices. I did and I found the Elysium subscription price of $50 a month to be modestly above the sum of the very lowest available prices for the two products, so quality issues would probably affect a buying decision.

3. “Subtle” effects are claimed.

This seems like another weak objection to me. Claims of powerful and remarkable effects are much less likely to be valid, in my experience. If one tries a new anti-aging regimen today and it’s successful, what effects would one expect to see? Surely it would take at least five years to know whether the regimen was efficacious, and the effects would be subtle, as the effects of aging are subtle year-to-year.

4. There are many Nobel-Prize winners on the board.

This also seems like a weak objection to me, for reasons that should be obvious.

Finally, here is a statement from one of your replies above: “There are metabolic byproducts that come on with aging that would probably be good things to get rid of (glycosylated proteins, lipofuscin, and others), but nothing you can buy at the supermarket is going to help with those, unfortunately.”

This is incorrect. Energy metabolism is “hot,” chemically speaking. Lots of reactive intermediates are produced in the course of digesting food and obtaining energy from it. Of course they don’t “accumulate” — they’re highly reactive and they damage DNA, cell-membrane components, and other molecules quickly. Vitamins and other antioxidants you can buy at the supermarket do indeed appear to lower the toxic effects of natural energy metabolism. There are literally hundreds of peer-reviewed articles indicating anti-aging effects of the antioxidant lipoic acid, which can indeed be purchased in a supermarket. There’s a great deal more work to be done, as Guarante points out. Measuring life extension in people takes a really long time. But your dismissal of a first-tier scientist who appears to be making a sincere attempt at life extension, based on a great wealth of peer-reviewed evidence and sound logic, seems shoddy, under-researched, and poorly reasoned.

Michael J Corey, PhD (Biochemistry, UC Berkeley)

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Elysium or its products, I’m not acquainted with Dr. Guarante or his colleagues, and I haven’t tried the product or any products containing NAD+ precursors or resveratrol derivatives.

IMO, Derek's article reads like a bitter, skeptical chemist who wants to ignore the actual biological pathways/signaling and the science behind what Sinclair/Guarante/Imai have been producing.  He wants to harp about word choice like "detoxification".  Whatever.  It's somewhat short sighted, in what is otherwise a routinely great column.

Edited by prophets, 29 June 2016 - 01:05 AM.

• Agree x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#788 Steve H

• 127 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

George Church is currently organizing these trials we are reaching the point where things are moving forward.

I am far more interested in applying NAD boosting approaches with Senolytics which I work with in research. The NK-FB/IKKb pathway is key here and controls CD38 too. If you reduce NK-FB you should reduce the problem of NAD decline.

#789 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

It is a valid point though Church is apparently already setting up human testing so he must know something we do not. I will see what I can find out about this as we have friends in his lab and he might give us some further indication of the situation. TFAM is an excellent way to boost NAD and the data support NMN certainly in mice. Of course a lot of hucksters are selling supplements off the back of David Sinclairs work and making BS claims that other related compounds can do the same when there is just none or not enough data to justify that. 

Thanks for weighing in here Steve. I was beginning to doubt this thread a little bit when I posted about TFAM a few days back and noone seemed to notice...

You dont need to wait for any crispr tooling if you believe TFAM is the way to go, just start taking fingerroot:

BPE also elevated the mRNA expression of key factors of mitochondrial biogenesis and function, which are activated by PGC-1α, such as estrogen-related receptor α (ERRα), nuclear respiratory factor 1 (NRF-1), and mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/27331877

This is an interesting find, Stefan. However the important point of recent TFAM development seems to be that no substances are being used that in the longer term turn against you. ( In this respect I feel a  bit guilty about apigenin, because I was one of the first who pointed to it's effect on CD38. I did not know how strong this stuff is and the long half-life, though I mentioned that I take it rarely because of the uncertainty about the role of CD38)

• Needs references x 1

#790 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

IMO, Derek's article reads like a bitter, skeptical chemist who wants to ignore the actual biological pathways/signaling and the science behind what Sinclair/Guarante/Imai have been producing.  He wants to harp about word choice like "detoxification".  Whatever.  It's somewhat short sighted, in what is otherwise a routinely great column.

When I posted this yesterday, I didn't check to see that the post you copied above by Michael J. Corey was added three weeks after I stopped checking, so I'm glad you called my attention to it. I also didn't want to say outright that I almost wrote the same thing as Corey did in April when I first read the post.

Derek Lowe has been highly skeptical of anything srt1 related, although his posts usually include a degree of open mindedness which this one did not. I was also surprised my his "detoxification" angle and the extent he his Elysium over the head with it. 

#791 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Hi Tom,

It has whats considered a good safety profile. However it has a half-life of 91.8 hours and it has a rather slow absorption and a slow elimination phase. Thus, a possible accumulation of this flavonoid in the body can be inferred if your consuming it faster than your eliminating it.

So as the excitement of these new prospects for increasing NAD+ spreads and people start ordering them on-line lets not assume everyone researching safe dosages. 

Yeah I posted about the apigenin half-life a while back in this thread but this thread has really blown up like crazy lately. Some sources were saying 91 hrs while others were saying 12 hours, I'm not sure which one is true. According to all sources I've read so far it's not toxic in high levels but can make you really drowsy and low energy if you take it too often. I'm down to one at night for now and for now that seems ok. There's always chamomile tea instead.

Edited by Nate-2004, 26 June 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#792 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

I believe he was involved with Prof. Shinichiro Imai of Washington University and he is moving into human trials.

I was referring to the human trials that Sinclair said would begin after he saw the NMN injections into mice study that seemed like it would be completed in 2014. Is there a possibility that there was such a study but that results were never released? Or would we know if such a study was completed?   

#793 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

I was referring to the human trials that Sinclair said would begin after he saw the NMN injections into mice study that seemed like it would be completed in 2014. Is there a possibility that there was such a study but that results were never released? Or would we know if such a study was completed?   

I suppose there could have been a private trial. I know Sinclair has his own bioreactor to make NMN. But something as large as a 10 subject or more test would have required an outside source of NMN and as we've seen from Shinkowa Pharmaceutical the real stuff isn't  cheap. No I think anything involving a number of subjects over a substantial amount of time would have required external funding and involved some publicity.

Also I agree with prophets earlier that "NR is an incremental step in the right direction." So while I encourage competition for the details it will tease out, I also feel given the options/cost the path that has prevailed, (NR) has been the correct one in light of our current understanding. As our understanding changes so might our approach, meaning (NR) might not last forever if a better option comes to light.

Edited by Bryan_S, 26 June 2016 - 06:58 PM.

• Informative x 2

#794 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

Hi Tom,

So as the excitement of these new prospects for increasing NAD+ spreads and people start ordering them on-line lets not assume everyone's researching safe dosages. 

Hi Bryan,

Na has an RDA that can be increased accordingly to get it as a good NAD+ precursor, and I think I showed enough data to believe it is a much better precursor than NR (more complete). NR however is more marketed.. But important is scientific evidence. The flush effect people can get is actually a good thing according to data (see the corresponding thread), the fact that people dont get it using NR doesnt mean its more safe in large dose too. Actually this is even a more silent risk. However, in the dosage of NR you have to remove the Ribose part in the calculation that count for half its weight (255gmol versus 122). Im now questioning why such hype for NR ?

Tom if you don't mind can you please share what supplements you take and what effects you notice?

Stefan,

I use a large variety of supplement that I screen a lot previously to make them from my yellow light to green light. Currently I switched NR for Na (50mg) for instance.

I use milk thistle extract, gingko extract, a B12, pterostilbene 100mg a day (2x50mg), honokiol, willow bark 25% salicin as transitent use to shut down inflammation, tocotrienols and gamma tocopherol, it depends i switch the 2. and carnosine. Sometimes probiotic from Jarow brand, I also use grape seed extract and now my last bet : rosmarinic acid (I have a data published in a japanese study showing it is a REAL and maybe most potent AGE breaker known to date. It will not for sure break glucosepane since they used a ribose instead of a glucose for the reaction but still impressive + data showing good for inflammation http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16604092 and Im on a vegetarian diet and lactose/ casein free diet

result is hard to say since im still young (30yo) but still 0% white hair, full head of hair, skin without wrinkles and no health problem. My goal is stop aging as much as possible

• Informative x 3

#795 SearchHorizon

• 167 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

Tom, 

Good stuff.   

I wanted to point out a personal observation about NA's flushing effect. My mom and I had started with NA, but due to its flushing effect, we switched to NAM. We then used NAM for 6 months, until we tried NA again. Interestingly, the flushing effect had pretty much vanished. Apparently, NAM's use acclimated our bodies to NA.

I think there is a cross-talk between various pathways. When we took large doses of NAM, we used to get some flushing. Mostly likely, some NAD was going through Preiss-Handler salvage pathway. Perhaps each type of tissue is not isolated (with regard to vitamin B3 precursors) from each other.

I had begun administering NR to my mom, but i have not seen any effect that I already observed from NA and NAM administration. 

#796 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:04 AM

My sentiments exactly.  Derek is a smart guy, but he does tend to go pretty quickly into the "skeptic" camp.  The internet is full of them, trashing science that they don't fully understand because something about it sets off one of their tripwires.  In that regard, I have to admit that "toxins" are the 21st century version of "evil spirits", and whenever I see the word I smell an odor of quackery.  It seems pretty likely that some marketing droid was involved in that, and Lenny would be wise to clean it up, imho.  While I don't totally blame Derek for being tripwired by the word "detoxification", I find the internet skeptic community to be annoying and frequently harmful.

• Agree x 5

#797 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Hi Bryan,

Na has an RDA that can be increased accordingly to get it as a good NAD+ precursor, and I think I showed enough data to believe it is a much better precursor than NR (more complete). NR however is more marketed.. But important is scientific evidence. The flush effect people can get is actually a good thing according to data (see the corresponding thread), the fact that people dont get it using NR doesnt mean its more safe in large dose too. Actually this is even a more silent risk. However, in the dosage of NR you have to remove the Ribose part in the calculation that count for half its weight (255gmol versus 122). Im now questioning why such hype for NR ?

State your case Tom. Evidently as I see in your dosage you feel 50mg of Niacin to be superior to (NR). "Currently I switched NR for Na (50mg) for instance" Everyone here is initialed to their opinions on this forum but we want to see some research documentation to back up our claims here. I've taken Niacin and can tell you small amounts are more than I can stand. I'm not alone in this sensitivity, I'm also part of a segment of rosacea suffer's who are already severely flushed before taking the first milligram of Niacin and adding it to my regiment worsens my skin condition. I don't deny that Niacin raises NAD+ levels but I take 1000mg's of NR a day, how could 20 times less of the NAD+ precursor (Na) do more than my (NR)? What are we chasing here Tom, the flush feeling, telling you its working, Increased NAD levels or maybe we are worried about cholesterol. If its price alone I'll accept that as well but 50mg isn't getting you into a therapeutic range at all and your NAD+ needle isn't going to move that much because of the dosage. 

"Hyperlipidemia.

For a long time, patients with hyperlipidemia have been treated with niacin (Altschul et al., 1955), often in combination with statins to lower cholesterol biosynthesis. Although the G protein–coupled receptor GPR109A was linked to the effects of niacin (Tunaru et al., 2003), an increase in NAD+ could also contribute, especially considering the central role of sirtuin enzymes in lipid metabolism (Schug and Li, 2011; Houtkooper et al., 2012). Arguing in favor of the latter hypothesis is the fact that high doses of niacin (grams/day) are required for lipid lowering, while the EC50 for GPR109A (i.e., concentration to activate 50% of the receptor; ∼250 nmol/L) is rather low (Wise et al., 2003). Interestingly, supplementation with NR decreased the LDL/HDL ratio in mice without activating GPR109A, suggesting that this may be true (Cantó et al., 2012). This would circumvent the GPR109A-mediated adverse effects, such as flushing, observed upon high-level niacin intake (Cantó et al., 2012). Further mechanistic studies with other NAD-centered approaches leading to sirtuin activation are required to establish the potential of the NAD+/sirtuin axis for lipid lowering." http://jcb.rupress.o.../199/2/205.full

"many of the beneficial effects of niacin, such as the lipid-lowering effects (Kamanna and Kashyap, 2008), take place at concentrations higher than those required for GPR109A activation but lead to intracellular NAD+ accumulation (Jackson et al., 1995). It is therefore tempting to speculate that some of the effects promoted by niacin might be achieved through an NAD+-induced activation of SIRT1 and the consequent deacetylation of the multiple SIRT1 targets that act as critical regulators of fatty acid, lipid and sterol homeostasis in eukaryotes, such as PGC-1α, FOXOs, LXR, or SREBP-1c (described in section II.C).http://pharmrev.aspe...t/64/1/166.full

So the lipid-lowering effects don't appear to be the result of GPR109A activation and higher levels are required than those needed for simple GPR109A activation, so just the flushing alone doesn't mean its working. So simply the fact of raising NAD+ might be how the lipid-lowering effects work through SIRT1 targets with Niacin anyway. So we don't need the flush, correct, just higher NAD+ levels.

So again no argument about lipid-lowering effects of Niacin but it seems to be tied to raising your NAD levels and most studies put that dose at a gram of higher.

"The doses of niacin used in the therapy of hyperlipidemia are far higher than the RDA and are generally in the range of 1 to 6 grams daily.  When given at these doses, niacin has been shown to increase HDL and lower LDL cholesterol levels and to decrease rates of cardiovascular events in high risk individuals.http://livertox.nih.gov/Niacin.htm

So the RDA isn't moving NAD levels much.

Do you remember reading "nicotinamide riboside may be the only vitamin precursor that supports neuronal NAD+ synthesis" I do and we chased that down some months ago in something called the "Expression Atlas." I found several sources of information depicting which tissues of the human anatomy were equipped to utilize Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) and each database shared similar research links backing up their data. 

So what we find are some tissues are better at assimilating (NR) than others precursors and the ability of brain cells to utilize (NA) far from the cell nucleus along axons and dendrites might be the reason why. Data seems limited in this regard but our Neuroglia seem to responsible for many of the enzymatic reactions needed for neuronal NAD maintenance. I'd like to see an expression map for this one cell type.

I read an interesting article "SARM1 activation triggers axon degeneration locally via NAD+ destruction" We also reviewed "Activation of SIRT3 by the NAD+ Precursor Nicotinamide Riboside Protects from Noise-Induced Hearing Loss" I could post other studies about neuroprotection and Nicotinamide Riboside but its late.

So Tom, more to the point show us how Niacin is better with the GPR109A activation and flushing. I know it will raise NAD+ levels but if I don't have to feel the pain after taking a gram or more to get the benefits why should I? Plus how is 50mg "much better."

Edited by Bryan_S, 27 June 2016 - 09:18 AM.

• Agree x 3
  • Informative x 2

#798 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hi Bryan,

State your case Tom. Evidently as I see in your dosage you feel 50mg of Niacin to be superior to (NR). "Currently I switched NR for Na (50mg) for instance" Everyone here is initialed to their opinions on this forum but we want to see some research documentation to back up our claims here. I've taken Niacin and can tell you small amounts are more than I can stand. I'm not alone in this sensitivity, I'm also part of a segment of rosacea suffer's who are already severely flushed before taking the first milligram of Niacin and adding it to my regiment worsens my skin condition. I don't deny that Niacin raises NAD+ levels but I take 1000mg's of NR a day, how could 20 times less of the NAD+ precursor (Na) do more than my (NR)? What are we chasing here Tom, the flush feeling, telling you its working, Increased NAD levels or maybe we are worried about cholesterol. If its price alone I'll accept that as well but 50mg isn't getting you into a therapeutic range at all and your NAD+ needle isn't going to move that much because of the dosage. 

"Hyperlipidemia.

For a long time, patients with hyperlipidemia have been treated with niacin (Altschul et al., 1955), often in combination with statins to lower cholesterol biosynthesis. Although the G protein–coupled receptor GPR109A was linked to the effects of niacin (Tunaru et al., 2003), an increase in NAD+ could also contribute, especially considering the central role of sirtuin enzymes in lipid metabolism (Schug and Li, 2011; Houtkooper et al., 2012). Arguing in favor of the latter hypothesis is the fact that high doses of niacin (grams/day) are required for lipid lowering, while the EC50 for GPR109A (i.e., concentration to activate 50% of the receptor; ∼250 nmol/L) is rather low (Wise et al., 2003). Interestingly, supplementation with NR decreased the LDL/HDL ratio in mice without activating GPR109A, suggesting that this may be true (Cantó et al., 2012). This would circumvent the GPR109A-mediated adverse effects, such as flushing, observed upon high-level niacin intake (Cantó et al., 2012). Further mechanistic studies with other NAD-centered approaches leading to sirtuin activation are required to establish the potential of the NAD+/sirtuin axis for lipid lowering." http://jcb.rupress.o.../199/2/205.full

"many of the beneficial effects of niacin, such as the lipid-lowering effects (Kamanna and Kashyap, 2008), take place at concentrations higher than those required for GPR109A activation but lead to intracellular NAD+ accumulation (Jackson et al., 1995). It is therefore tempting to speculate that some of the effects promoted by niacin might be achieved through an NAD+-induced activation of SIRT1 and the consequent deacetylation of the multiple SIRT1 targets that act as critical regulators of fatty acid, lipid and sterol homeostasis in eukaryotes, such as PGC-1α, FOXOs, LXR, or SREBP-1c (described in section II.C).http://pharmrev.aspe...t/64/1/166.full

So the lipid-lowering effects don't appear to be the result of GPR109A activation and higher levels are required than those needed for simple GPR109A activation, so just the flushing alone doesn't mean its working. So simply the fact of raising NAD+ might be how the lipid-lowering effects work through SIRT1 targets with Niacin anyway. So we don't need the flush, correct, just higher NAD+ levels.

So again no argument about lipid-lowering effects of Niacin but it seems to be tied to raising your NAD levels and most studies put that dose at a gram of higher.

"The doses of niacin used in the therapy of hyperlipidemia are far higher than the RDA and are generally in the range of 1 to 6 grams daily.  When given at these doses, niacin has been shown to increase HDL and lower LDL cholesterol levels and to decrease rates of cardiovascular events in high risk individuals.http://livertox.nih.gov/Niacin.htm

Do you remember reading "nicotinamide riboside may be the only vitamin precursor that supports neuronal NAD+ synthesis" I do and we chased that down some months ago in something called the "Expression Atlas." I found several sources of information depicting which tissues of the human anatomy were equipped to utilize Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) and each database shared similar research links backing up their data. 

So what we find are some tissues are better at assimilating (NR) than others precursors and the ability of brain cells to utilize (NA) far from the cell nucleus along axons and dendrites might be the reason why. Data seems limited in this regard but our Neuroglia seem to responsible for many of the enzymatic reactions needed for neuronal NAD maintenance. I'd like to see an expression map for this one cell type.

I read an interesting article "SARM1 activation triggers axon degeneration locally via NAD+ destruction" We also reviewed "Activation of SIRT3 by the NAD+ Precursor Nicotinamide Riboside Protects from Noise-Induced Hearing Loss" I could post other studies about neuroprotection and Nicotinamide Riboside but its late.

So Tom, more to the point show us how Niacin is better with the GPR109A activation and flushing. I know it will raise NAD+ levels but if I don't have to feel the pain after taking a gram or more to get the benefits why should I? Plus how is 50mg "much better."

Hi Bryan,

lets reply into 3 points, no big deal :) :

1/ the tissues and their specific kinases: Problem is NR can only use the NRK1/2 or being converted by hydrolisis into Nam directly. So yes its ok for brain cells but not for kidney, liver, lung, pancreas, and placenta.. So make for instance your study about NAD+ boosting for the liver useless in this topic. NR will not improve your liver condition via NAD+. Not possible. This is also confirmed by this vivo study where they fed mice with NR: http://www.cell.com/...4131(12)00192-1 the only effect you will get using NR for the liver is due to hydrolisis into Nam that will use the normal Nampt pathway. Thats it. Since liver own preiss handler pathway, Na is a much better candidate and this is also confirmed in the study.

And to finish with the brain cells part, I want to refer to point 3 below

2/ About dosage and possible issue: it will not be 20 times more as you state, since NR count actually for half its weight since you have to remove the ribose part. So its 10 times less if i take your exemple. (255gmol for NR versus 122 for its nicotinamide part). So if you take 1g NR it means you will actually get only 500mg nicotinamide wich is what count to form NAD+ structure. 500mg niacin is what some brand offer. Still indeed the flush effect.

2 bis: I want to avoid Nam as much as I can because the body will take already a lot due to normal diet + the release from NAD+ consuming enzyme. Nam in your last link was also a concern at high dose for toxicity when you comes to grams. Also regarding your end goal: since physiological concentrations of nicotinamide noncompetitively inhibit both Sir2 and SIRT1 in vitro. The degree of inhibition by nicotinamide (IC50< 50 μm) is equal to or better than the most effective known synthetic inhibitors of this class of proteins. (link: http://www.jbc.org/c...e2=tf_ipsecsha)Nam compete with NAD+ sites. One would mention that some study show benefit of Nam, ok but its in yeast where sirtuins need are still in debate in them and Nampt still go down probably from INampt to eNampt due to long term use by Nam, even if this has to be studied deeper why and remain unclear.

3/ Ribose in the human body cells : owns pool for ribose as confirmed by this study: Generation, release and uptake of the NAD precursor nicotinic acid riboside by human cells : http://www.jbc.org/c...664458.full.pdf

So, NA will most likely being converted into NaR wich use the exact same pathway as NR: phosphorylation via NRK1&2 to form NaMN or NMN. And Nam will most likely also being converted into NR using dephosphorylation of NMN in some cell type and then feed their neighbour cells. Its also what the study mention. So in the liver we will release as well NaR for instance.

So to conclude: What I want is stop aging as much as possible, and use NR will not be able to do the job properly, its mostly misleading to market it as the ultimate NAD+ booster since it just not. Im sorry for your rosacea condition problem, but I try here to be the more scientist as possible and work with only fact no feeling. I swear I would love NR would be that great, but I dont see it as the case. Now what is funny, is that NR come on the market, people claim its the best precursor and when you doubt about it, they want you to proof it.. Its funny since normally this is the opposite that have to happen

about my own dosage: I believe 50mg is enough to give enough NAD+ precursor, but I do not count for NAD+ precursor as the best strategy to increase NAD+/NADH ratio anymore > get a therapeutic effect, especially on the long run that we do not have. Still B3s are vitamins means essential but in a certain dosage. The high dose for both NR or Na is still a risk that people should be aware and take or not.

Best precursor however would be NaR but no one is selling it yet.

• Agree x 2
  • Informative x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#799 Steve H

• 127 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

Thank you Tom excellent summary! I remain unconvinced about Nicotinamide and the dosage requirements scaled up from mice is abosolutely attrocious! George church gives the following figure for NR on his slides:

Nicotinamide $1600/g 0.5g/kg = $50k/day

http://crispr-congre...resentation.pdf

This amount is just not practical and as I have stated I believe permanent genetic solutions are best eg, TFAM via AAV CRISPR. This could be combined with Senolytics to reduce systemic inflammation and thus reduce CD38 and potentially form a powerful synergy. Scripps have recently confirmed CD38 is present in inflammatory cells and is directly involved in the process that mediates the age-related NAD decline. As I work with Senolytic research I believe we can control the NAD ratio somewhat using Senolytics as the data supports it reduces many of the cytokines that proteins present that drive NAD loss eg, CD38, NK-FB, IkkB and further down TNF-a, IL6 and TGf-beta etc...

http://newsnetwork.m...ction-in-aging/

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#800 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

These are some well informed arguments on both sides Tom and Bryan. Is there any problem with using both NR and NA together?

Tom what is NaR? Why would that be better?

Edited by Nate-2004, 27 June 2016 - 03:14 PM.

#801 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

George church gives the following figure for NR on his slides:

Nicotinamide $1600/g 0.5g/kg = $50k/day

http://crispr-congre...resentation.pdf

Church is referring to NMN (Nicotinamide Mononucleotide), not NR (Nicotinamide Riboside).

• Agree x 3

#802 Steve H

• 127 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

I still remain unconvinced and I have looked at NMR and NR papers this past year. Senolytics and TFAM is the way to do this in my view, I want robust solutions. 

• Disagree x 3
  • Needs references x 2
  • Agree x 1

#803 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

These are some well informed arguments on both sides Tom and Bryan. Is there any problem with using both NR and NA together?

Tom what is NaR? Why would that be better?

No it would be even a middle way, so better idea than just take NR. I would prefer to use low dose NR and low dose Na to feed all tissue and avoid too much Nam instead of just NR for instance.

NaR = Nicotinic Acid Riboside and use same kinase as NR

• Agree x 2
  • Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#804 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

I still remain unconvinced and I have looked at NMR and NR papers this past year. Senolytics and TFAM is the way to do this in my view, I want robust solutions. 

Have you looked at all the papers linked to in this thread over the past several months? The CRISPR technology would not be available to people for a decade at least, at the rate I see the FDA approving medical devices and techniques. They would only approve it for the treatment of one specific disease at a time, they will not approve it for the treatment of aging. The FDA is a slow moving monopoly of force that obstructs R&D with prohibitive costs, is always behind the times in its policies and meanwhile keeps people suffering and dying for ages while it drags its feet.

I'm waiting on them to approve INSIGHTEC's High Frequency Ultrasound treatment for specifically Essential Tremor. Coming up on 9 months now since they submitted for approval and Canada as well as other countries like Switzerland approved it a couple of months ago and also two years ago respectively. 

For CRISPR you're looking at many, many years because bioethicists are getting in the way with irrational arguments, who knows how super religious people will react, or GMO activists. There will be much debate and a possible ban for a time, as it was with stem cell research.

Edited by Nate-2004, 27 June 2016 - 04:12 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#805 super-human

• 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

Just an FYI - not sure if this was posted recently.

http://www.postguam....3f28ffcd8f.html

• Informative x 2

#806 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

Hi Bryan,

"Hyperlipidemia.

Hi Bryan,

lets reply into 3 points, no big deal :) :

1/ the tissues and their specific kinases: Problem is NR can only use the NRK1/2 or being converted by hydrolisis into Nam directly. So yes its ok for brain cells but not for kidney, liver, lung, pancreas, and placenta.. So make for instance your study about NAD+ boosting for the liver useless in this topic. NR will not improve your liver condition via NAD+. Not possible. This is also confirmed by this vivo study where they fed mice with NR: http://www.cell.com/...4131(12)00192-1 the only effect you will get using NR for the liver is due to hydrolisis into Nam that will use the normal Nampt pathway. Thats it. Since liver own preiss handler pathway, Na is a much better candidate and this is also confirmed in the study.

And to finish with the brain cells part, I want to refer to point 3 below

2/ About dosage and possible issue: it will not be 20 times more as you state, since NR count actually for half its weight since you have to remove the ribose part. So its 10 times less if i take your exemple. (255gmol for NR versus 122 for its nicotinamide part). So if you take 1g NR it means you will actually get only 500mg nicotinamide wich is what count to form NAD+ structure. 500mg niacin is what some brand offer. Still indeed the flush effect.

2 bis: I want to avoid Nam as much as I can because the body will take already a lot due to normal diet + the release from NAD+ consuming enzyme. Nam in your last link was also a concern at high dose for toxicity when you comes to grams. Also regarding your end goal: since physiological concentrations of nicotinamide noncompetitively inhibit both Sir2 and SIRT1 in vitro. The degree of inhibition by nicotinamide (IC50< 50 μm) is equal to or better than the most effective known synthetic inhibitors of this class of proteins. (link: http://www.jbc.org/c...e2=tf_ipsecsha)Nam compete with NAD+ sites. One would mention that some study show benefit of Nam, ok but its in yeast where sirtuins need are still in debate in them and Nampt still go down probably from INampt to eNampt due to long term use by Nam, even if this has to be studied deeper why and remain unclear.

3/ Ribose in the human body cells : owns pool for ribose as confirmed by this study: Generation, release and uptake of the NAD precursor nicotinic acid riboside by human cells : http://www.jbc.org/c...664458.full.pdf

So, NA will most likely being converted into NaR wich use the exact same pathway as NR: phosphorylation via NRK1&2 to form NaMN or NMN. And Nam will most likely also being converted into NR using dephosphorylation of NMN in some cell type and then feed their neighbour cells. Its also what the study mention. So in the liver we will release as well NaR for instance.

So to conclude: What I want is stop aging as much as possible, and use NR will not be able to do the job properly, its mostly misleading to market it as the ultimate NAD+ booster since it just not. Im sorry for your rosacea condition problem, but I try here to be the more scientist as possible and work with only fact no feeling. I swear I would love NR would be that great, but I dont see it as the case. Now what is funny, is that NR come on the market, people claim its the best precursor and when you doubt about it, they want you to proof it.. Its funny since normally this is the opposite that have to happen

about my own dosage: I believe 50mg is enough to give enough NAD+ precursor, but I do not count for NAD+ precursor as the best strategy to increase NAD+/NADH ratio anymore > get a therapeutic effect, especially on the long run that we do not have. Still B3s are vitamins means essential but in a certain dosage. The high dose for both NR or Na is still a risk that people should be aware and take or not.

Thanks Tom, very informative. This thread could use some more real discussion and you sure provide it.  Perhaps it's only a sidenote if I point to the fact that  Kulikova et al. which you quote, think highly of NR. After listing some of the impressive amount of positive studies ( which Bryan has provided us with through the years) they conclude:

These findings suggest that NR might serve as a potent agent for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases and metabolic disorders associated with mitochondrial dysfunction. So liver is not excluded and they even dare to speak of treatment  instead of attenuate or prevent ...If it will work in this way I will forgive it for leaving my grey hairs grey  :) .

BTW, this study leaves open the possibility that taking minute amounts of NMN may be useful. That could cut some costs....

Edited by harkijn, 27 June 2016 - 04:15 PM.

#807 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

Just an FYI - not sure if this was posted recently.

http://www.postguam....3f28ffcd8f.html

already posted here by Bryan. And pointless since NMN has to be first converted into NR prior to enter the cell. Im not sure why these scientist are not willing to test other precursor and still not look closer to the full picture. Patent issue ? financial interest ?

Edited by Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi), 27 June 2016 - 04:15 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#808 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

I don't know this Daryl and haven't seen the study. Niacin (NA) is cheap, Nicotinamide (NAM) is also, Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) is not, at least the real stuff. There's no way I could take the Niacin in the quantities I'd need. Plus there is chance of liver damage longterm in the higher quantities. "Niacin’s safety record is equally impressive. However, a brief foray into the use of very-slow-release niacin preparations in the 1980s taught us an important lesson: niacin is very safe, if the liver is exposed to it for only a few hours at a time. Niacin is, after all, just vitamin B3. However, 24-hour, day-after-day exposure to niacin over an extended period can be toxic to the liver. Thus, the very-slow-release niacin preparations that yielded sustained, high blood levels of niacin caused liver toxicity in 10-20% of people who used these preparations in the 1980s. Unfortunately, this learning experience left some physicians fearful of recommending niacin to their patients. For this reason, very-slow-release niacin should be avoided."

A few things:

1. The fear of liver damage is unwarranted unless you have an existing liver problem and/or you take high dosages of slow release niacin for a long period of time. The use of immediate release Niacin is a pretty 'safe' bet.

2. The flush effect is not permanent. You can slowly build up to higher levels without flushing. Personally, I can take two grams of niacin at once without flushing (unless I drink something hot with it). When I first began supplementation, I would get a nasty flush at 50mg.

3. If you can handle the flush and you seem to flat line while trying to build up to a higher dosage, you can take aspirin about 30 minutes prior to niacin and not flush at all. I do suggest you make note of the aspirin / NAD cycle synergy that Darryl has mentioned in the past.

• Informative x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

#809 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:16 PM

I don't know this Daryl and haven't seen the study. Niacin (NA) is cheap, Nicotinamide (NAM) is also, Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) is not, at least the real stuff. There's no way I could take the Niacin in the quantities I'd need. Plus there is chance of liver damage longterm in the higher quantities. "Niacin’s safety record is equally impressive. However, a brief foray into the use of very-slow-release niacin preparations in the 1980s taught us an important lesson: niacin is very safe, if the liver is exposed to it for only a few hours at a time. Niacin is, after all, just vitamin B3. However, 24-hour, day-after-day exposure to niacin over an extended period can be toxic to the liver. Thus, the very-slow-release niacin preparations that yielded sustained, high blood levels of niacin caused liver toxicity in 10-20% of people who used these preparations in the 1980s. Unfortunately, this learning experience left some physicians fearful of recommending niacin to their patients. For this reason, very-slow-release niacin should be avoided."

A few things:

1. The fear of liver damage is unwarranted unless you have an existing liver problem and/or you take high dosages of slow release niacin for a long period of time. The use of immediate release Niacin is a pretty 'safe' bet.

2. The flush effect is not permanent. You can slowly build up to higher levels without flushing. Personally, I can take two grams of niacin at once without flushing (unless I drink something hot with it). When I first began supplementation, I would get a nasty flush at 50mg.

3. If you can handle the flush and you seem to flat line while trying to build up to a higher dosage, you can take aspirin about 30 minutes prior to niacin and not flush at all. I do suggest you make note of the aspirin / NAD cycle synergy that Darryl has mentioned in the past.

Interesting. Is there a reason why aspirin removes the flush effect? Is there any kind of interference or interaction between Na and Aspirin that we should be concerned about in the context of NAD boosting?

#810 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

There is positive synergy at high doses. I don't have the links handy, but you can probably find them pretty quickly with the search function. I believe the aspirin dosage is higher than one should take long term due to side affects, but can be mitigated by using a different form of it.

• Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide, nad boosting, charles brenner, david sinclair, leonard guarente, niagen, niacinamide, nicotinamide mononucleotide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By