* * * * * 3 votes

Brain Factor-7 (BF-7) as a nootropic

bf-7 nootropic cognition bombyx mori cera-q silk fibroin neurosilk

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

I stumbled upon the BF-7. Couldn't find any information here related to it.

One of the white-paper cited study abstracts:

Brain factor-7 extracted from Bombyx mori enhances cognition and attention in normal children.

It has been reported that brain factor-7 (BF-7) extracted from Bombyx mori improves cognitive functions in normal juveniles and adults as well as cognitively impaired patients. Clinical studies with normal children evaluated the role of BF-7 on brain function in these patients. The objective of this study was to improve cognitive functions of normal schoolchildren with BF-7. Forty-six normal healthy children were divided into two treatment groups: BF-7 (9.9 +/- 1.18 years old; 9 boys, 14 girls) and placebo (9.8 +/- 1.03 years old; 10 boys, 13 girls). The Color Trails Making Test was used to measure the efficacy of BF-7 on cognition and attention. Results showed that BF-7 reduced the response time by an average of 23% for the Color Trails Making Test. Moreover, BF-7 improved the accuracy of the task around twofold. The results reveal that BF-7 improves brain function for attention and cognitive flexibility in children.

White paper attached.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files

Edited by rikelme, 21 October 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#2 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:21 AM

A few more abstracts, all from same Korean author(s). Couldn't find full texts. Pardon the not-so-great formatting of the quoted text.

The Effect of BF-7 on the Ischemia-induced Learning and Memory Deficits
Lee JY, Lee SH, Sung JJ, Kim ET, Cho HJ, Kim KH, Kang YK, Kim SS, Kwon OS, Lee WB.

Korean J Anat
2005 Apr 38(2):181-188. Korean.

Abnormal blood supply to brain, such as ischemia induce neuronal damages, possibly leading to dementia. Such damges should be attenuated by neuroprotective materials which make neurons tolerable against limited blood supply or reinforce of blood. For the animal study, transient middle cerebral artery occlusion was operated with SD rat. To check whether BF-7 attenuated the ischemic damage, BF-7 (10 mg/kg) was oral treated for 7 days once a day. To evaluate the learning and memory of the rat, 8-arm maze test was conducted. For clinical study, Rey Complex Figure Test (RCFT) was used with control group (32 person), 200 mg treated group (33 person) and 400 mg treated group (34 person). Treatment of BF-7 greatly reduced the infarct size. Als o the neuronal damages in the hippocampus were significantly diminished. Furthermore, The memory impairment by ischemia was recovered. The clinical test showed that BF-7 greatly enhanced the brain function recognizing and memorizing complex two dimensional figures. Our results implicated that BF-7 plays a positive roles on protecting brain and enhancing brain unction clinically.

BF-7 Improved Memory Function and Protected Neuron from Oxidative Stress.  

Lee MY, Lee SH, Lee JS, Min KJ, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Kwon HJ, Lee JK, Kang YK, Lee DY, Chung YH, Kim KY, Kim SS, Lee WB.

Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Korea. whitefox@cau.ac.kr
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Korea.
Department of Neuropsychiatry, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Korea.
Department of Nursing Science, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Korea.
Department of Opthalmology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Korea.
Department of Neurosurgery, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Korea.
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Korea.
Department of Sericulture and Entomology, National Institute of Agriculture Science and Technology, Korea.

Abstract
Endogenously or exogenously generated oxidative stress impair organs, especially brain. Also, the oxidative stress appears to be a negative factor on normal brain function, like memory and cognition. Our result showed that BF-7, extracted from Bombyx mori, effectively diminished oxidative stress, leading to the protection of neuron from reactive oxygen species donated by FeSO4 . Clinical experiments showed that BF-7 significantly improved memory and cognitive functions of normal adults in a dose-dependent manner. Thus, our results suggest that BF-7 play a role in the improvement of brain functions by removing oxidative stress, and provide therapeutic potential role of BF-7 to protect nervous system from oxidative damage. 

Protective Effect of Fibroin BF-7 on Neuronal Cell Death in Alzheimer Model using Amyloid beta Peptide.  

Lee DY, Yun JY, Kim JI, Kim DH, Han IS, Lee WB.

Department of Anatomy,College of Medicine,Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea. whitefox@cau.ac.kr

Abstract
Factors such as senescence,stress and neurodegenerative diseases,including Alzheimer's disease, contribute to the impairment of organs,especially the brain.They also negatively affect normal brain functions such as memory and cognition.In this study,the neuroprotective role of the natural product BF-7 was examined against A beta - induced neurotoxicity in SK-N-SH human neuronal cells.BF-7 significantly attenuated A beta-induced apoptosis as measured by intracellular calcium levels,accumulation of reactive oxygen species,mitochondrial dysfunction,and caspase activity.These results strongly indicate that BF-7 plays an effective and positive role in the improvement of brain functions,including learning and memory,in our model system for Alzheimer's disease.Thus,BF-7 might be useful for developing strategies to protect the nervous system and improve brain function.

The Role of BF-7 on Enhancement of Memory and Cognitive Funtion.  

Kim DK, Lee JY, Sung JJ, Kim ET, Kim YS, Kwon OS, Yun YC, Lee TJ, Kang YK, Chung YH, Kim SS, Kim KY, Lee WB.

Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Korea.
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Korea.
College of Pharmacology, Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Korea.
College of Pharmacology, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Korea.
College of Pharmacology, Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Korea. whitefox@cau.ac.kr

Abstract
Various factors such as senescence, stress, neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer's disease (AD) contribute to the impairments of organs, especially brain. Also, they should be negative factors on normal brain function, like as memory and cognition. In this study, the neuroprotective role of BF-7, extracted from Bombyx mori, was examined agaist scopolamine-induced neurotoxicity in SK-N-SH cells. In order to know if the BF-7 has positive role on the cognition and memory, we examined using SD rat model and human. Scopolamine-induced memory impairments were observed, as measured by the passive avoidance and water maze tests, but treatment with BF-7 significantly improved memory and cognitive function. Moreover, the memory index and memory preservation of clinical experiments using MMSE-K tests were significantly improved memory and cognitive function. This results strongly represent that the BF-7 play effectively positive role in the improvement of brain function including learning and memory. Taken together, our results suggested that the BF-7 should be useful for developing strategies protecting nervous system and improving brain function.

The Improvement of Learning and Memory Ability of Normal Persons by BF-7.  

Lee SH, Kim YS, Kang YK, Kwon OS, Shin YK, Song JH, Lee MY, Lee KG, Yeo JH, Lee WB, Lee TJ, Kim SS.

Department of Neurosurgery, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Korea.
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Korea.
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea. taejlee@chollian.net
Applied Entomology Division, Department of Sericulture and Entomology, National Institute of Agriculture Science Technology, Suwon, Korea.

Abstract
To investigate whether BF-7, extracted from Bombyx mori, improved learning and memory of ordinary people, Rey-Kim Memory Test was performed with placebo group (32 persons), 200 mg BF-7 treated group (33 persons) and 400 mg BF-7 treated group (34 persons). BF-7 enhanced significantly learning and memory function in a dose-dependent manner. To know how BF-7 plays such a positive role, we measured the concentration of acetylcholine in the brain from memory impairment animal model. Treatment of BF-7 significantly increased the concentration of acetylcholine. So, it is supposed that the protection of cholinergic neuron and/or keeping proper concentration of acetylcholine might be one of the mechanisms by which BF-7 improve brain function. So, our results suggest that the BF-7 is effective material for improving learning and memory ability.

Edited by rikelme, 22 October 2015 - 04:38 AM.

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

wow really interresting. Could have different effects than Lions mane and the others.

The product is allready available:

http://www.swansonvi...-200-mg-60-caps

I will try it, when I have some money left.

Thanks for the Heads up.

#4 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

The product is allready available:

Yes, I bought 4 bottles - to replicate 400mg a day for 16 weeks trial from a study. I didn't want to link to the swanson product in order to keep the focus and discussion around the studies, but obviously that didn't work :)

I'll try to get off the other supplements while on trial and allow some wash out period before it to try to isolate any effect from the BF-7.

#5 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:43 AM

The "The Role of BF-7 on Neuroprotection and Enhancement of Cognitive Function" paper attached.

Attached Files

#6 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:14 AM

Nice find, rikelme! I ordered some after reading through a number of the studies yesterday. I'm a bit skeptical (the studies aren't of the highest quality) but for $20 it seemed like a reasonable 4 week experiment. I'll be interested in comparing results with your 16 week trail.

#7 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

Dear rats, start playing Cambridge Brain Sciences if you haven't done so already. Or at least, some sort of unbiased computerized brain game.

It's surpising that we seem to have missed the boat on this one, which Swanson evidently picked up on a while ago. And wow... human trials already!

But yeah OK I'm still a skeptic til I see the data reproduced.

Nice work, rikelme.

• like x 1

#8 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

I am a regular rat at cambridgebrainsciences.com and cognitivefun.net.

They don't have any plans to switch from flash to html5 anytime soon, which makes their websites unusable on mobile devices :(

#9 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

2000px-Silk_fibroin_primary_structure.sv

Free full-text: http://www.jmb.or.kr...l/023/&num=5897

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24043122

J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2013 Dec;23(12):1779-84.

Memory-enhancing effects of silk fibroin-derived peptides in scopolamine-treated mice.

Abstract

Although enzyme-hydrolyzed silk fibroin has been reported to enhance cognitive function before, it has been still unknown which peptides can improve memory. Here we report that amino acid sequences of three novel peptides were identified from fibroin hydrolysate. Fibroin hydrolysate was obtained by hydrolysis with protease after partial hydrolysis with 5M CaCl2. Synthesized peptides derived from these sequences improved scopolamine-induced memory impairments in mice. We confirmed this hydrolysate had effects that improved learning and memory abilities by performing the Rey-Kim test. From this hydrolysate of silk fibroin, amino acid sequences of eight peptides were identified by LC-MS/MS. Three peptides (GAGAGTGSSGFGPY, GAGAGSGAGSGAGAGSGAGAGY, and SGAGSGAGAGSGAGAGSGA) were synthesized to investigate whether they could improve memory. Passive avoidance test and Morris water maze test were performed, and all peptides showed memory-enhancing abilities on scopolamine-induced memory impairments in mice. In this study, we identified three novel peptides that could improve memory, and that silk fibroin hydrolysate was a mixture of various active peptides that could enhance memory.

• Informative x 1

#10 di36

• 67 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

Interesting

#11 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

is this based on oral activity or IV? peptides are generally best absorbed through injections thats why i ask

#12 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

is this based on oral activity or IV? peptides are generally best absorbed through injections thats why i ask

From the Korean paper above: "For the clinical trial the with human, mixture of 400 mg of BF-7, 132 mg of DHA, and 206 mg of EPA (BDE) per day was treated orally for 30 days." So that's 2 Swanson capsules per day per high school student, or perhaps 3 for obese Westerners.

• like x 1

#13 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:03 AM

They also added it to milk in this study on normal university students. http://ocean.kisti.r...9_v29n2_278.pdf

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

they added it to milk? did this accomplish anything above expectatons or what

#15 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, it supposedly enhanced learning and memory in 30 university students. Here's the study if you want to check it out. 

http://ocean.kisti.r...9_v29n2_278.pdf

• like x 1

#16 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

From the paper:

To evaluate if BF-7 remains effective when mixed with milk...

It is effective on its own.

#17 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, it supposedly enhanced learning and memory in 30 university students. Here's the study if you want to check it out. 

http://ocean.kisti.r...9_v29n2_278.pdf

The results are amazing. I would really like to know how this stuff is eliciting such responses.

#18 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

I have never seen a compound raise IQ levels by such a degree:

suwHRwf.png

That's a 11 point increase in IQ! Holey shiet!

#19 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

suwHRwf.png

Although BF-7 looks very promising, I wouldn't get too excited until we see these results replicated and independently verified.

Since this is a natural compound, the only new research I expect to see is from the same Korean folks, and maybe some meta studies done by supplement suppliers (like Swanson).

In other words: it's either us here or nada.

#20 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

From the "Neuroprotection and Enhancement of Learning and Memory by BF-7" lostfalco found:

JJhqrHj.png

#21 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:36 PM

suwHRwf.png

Although BF-7 looks very promising, I wouldn't get too excited until we see these results replicated and independently verified.

Since this is a natural compound, the only new research I expect to see is from the same Korean folks, and maybe some meta studies done by supplement suppliers (like Swanson).

In other words: it's either us here or nada.

Agreed. The claims in the research are pretty damn crazy. ha Supposedly it helps young people, old people, healthy people, sick people, university students, elementary school students, etc. It improves learning, memory, mathematical ability, attention, IQ, brain circulation, inflammation, acetylcholine levels, beta amyloid levels, and on and on and on. The proposed mechanisms of action are all over the place too.

Anyway, I'm with rikelme...I'm not too excited at this point and I'm pretty skeptical of anything that supposedly helps with everything in everyone! Ok, they're not exactly claiming that but you get the idea. ha

I just took my first pill five minutes ago so I'll let you guys know if I unify general relativity and quantum mechanics in my spare time this evening. =)

Edited by lostfalco, 26 October 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#22 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

I just took my first pill five minutes ago so I'll let you guys know if I unify general relativity and quantum mechanics in my spare time this evening. =)

I gonna watch Limitless untill then :laugh:

Edited by Flex, 26 October 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#23 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

Here's another little article that summarizes the brain research on BF-7 quite nicely. http://www.wholeheal...ht-bombyx-mori/

• Informative x 1

#24 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:27 AM

arent you taking the pills now any updates?

#25 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

arent you taking the pills now any updates?

The shortest time period mentioned in any of the studies was 3 weeks so it's probably gonna take a little while. I took 400mg yesterday and 200mg so far this morning...nothing to report yet but I'll keep you updated.

#26 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

Where did you get it?

#27 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

Where did you get it?

#28 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:56 PM

I don't see why one should stop at 400mg a day. Is there a maximum response at 400mg or did the authors not measure anything beyond 400mg?

#29 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

I don't see why one should stop at 400mg a day. Is there a maximum response at 400mg or did the authors not measure anything beyond 400mg?

In the papers I read, the maximum dose was 400mg a day - I would guess they didn't test beyond that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 rikelme

• Topic Starter
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

Quick update: 3rd day in on 400mg / day dosage. Nothing noticeable to report (bad nor good).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bf-7, nootropic, cognition, bombyx mori, cera-q, silk, fibroin, neurosilk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users