- - - - -

my observations from using collagen and gelatin products for a while

gelatin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:01 AM

When I started using gelatin products I was trying to find fortigel collagen but the only product I found that had it had stevia which gave me a weird response.  Then I used a supplement with knox gelatin in it, niutrajoint by osteobifelex.  I figured using knox gelatin by itself would be chepaer so I started using that instead.  I used one packed in the morning and take it with a vitamin c pill.  It doesn't mix as easily.

The other product I found was neo cell type 1 and 3 collagen which I have been using, too.  I will get doctor's best on occasion as it's the same thing in type 1 and 3.

Since using these, I've noticed that when I added the neo cell my skin got smoother, on my forehead and lower back.  It wasn't something I was thinking would happen because I don't really try for that but I found one day that my back felt like that and I figured it was the neo cell.  I didn't really notice that with the gelatin.

I started taking it to try and help my elbow which has some damage and I was reading that gelatin products can fix this, although I don't know if that's true. My elbow doesn't hurt as strongly anymore but that could just be that th einjury has modified.

I started eating dark chocolate which seemed to make my skin even smoother.  I have not heard of this as a result of that but I figured i would mention it.  I haven't had any for a time now and my skin is still soft but not as much as when I had the chocolate.

I know gelatin gets brought up on these forums from time to time so I wanted to include it.

I do have a question.  I haave heard that gealitn on an empty stomach can increase growth hormone.  I have been haing it for a while.  I saw the other day that while I am a naturally skinny person, my stomach was looking a bit bigger.  Do you think it's posible that added intake of gelatin over a duration can cause gh gut?

#2 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:13 AM

My elbow still hurts but it doesn't hurt constnatly like before but there is damage to the cushion in there and I haven't been able to lift weights for a while.  Here is the original thread

http://www.longecity...en-supplements/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

When I was making that post I forgot to include that I didn't see any change in wrinkles.  There was another product I used, too, Verisol, which says it reduced the appearance of wrinkles in some study, but thtat didn't happen when tried.  Nevertheless, Verisol only needs like 2.5g a day and it mixes amazingly well, but I had to order it from Lindberg beaus Swanson makes one but it has stevia in it.

#4 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

Regular knox gelatin is designed to make unflavored jello where you have to dissolve it in hot water and then it gels when you put it in the fridge. The rest of the ones you mentioned are hydrolyzed gelatin where they break down the molecular length of the gelatin so it becomes cold water soluble and it doesn't gel. Knox gelatin, hydrolyzed Knox gelatin (nutrajoint and also the knox gelatin they sell for hair skin and gels), Fortigel and Verisol all come from Gelita and are done by a controlled hydrolysis where they break the gelatin down in a controlled manner where it is small enough that it is cold water soluble but not broken down all the way into free amino acids so it doesn't have much of a taste or smell. Neocell is from a different company and they hydrolyze it in a less controllable way so it ends up cold water soluble but you can taste and smell the sulfur amino acids because some of it goes all the way to free amino acids.

A guy who was involved with the first clinical trials for arthritis with the one that ended up being called Fortigel told me that basically any gelatin and hydrolyzed gelatin would actually work but that if you didn't hydrolyze it enough to make it cold wter soluble then it would gel in your stomach and cause bloating. The first trials used 10 grams of hydrolyzed gelatin. Since then Gelita started targeting slightly different molecular length targets when they hydrolyze the gelatin and they came up with Verisol which they clinically studied for skin health at 2.5 grams.

It is possible that what Gelita is saying is valid, i.e. that different molecular lengths might work at different dosages, but I still think all of them will work do do all the things for arthritis or joint pain that the various ones are capable of doing if you eat about 10 grams, or less if you just want it for hair, skin and nail health.

I personally like the ones that gelita makes more than the ones that neocell makes because of the taste and smell of neocell, but others don't seem to mind neocells taste and smell. Reminds me too much of burnt hair. The smelliest amino's in the stuff are cysteine and methionine.

• Informative x 1

#5 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:25 AM

Have they made any products with Fortigel yet that don't have more ingredients?

Fortigel seems to be the only product that has studies behind it saying that it repairs cartilage.

www.gelita.com/sites/default/files/Brochure%20FORTIGEL®_A4%20eng%20(4p)_2013%20RZ02%20lowres.pdf

All the products I have seen though have stuff in them.

When looking at Swanson's they put Stevia in it.  http://www.swansonvi...ms-12-7-oz-pwdr  Stevia makes my fingers tingle.

CH Alpha has Acesulfame-K and Sucralose http://www.betterjoints.com/

Arthroben has NSAIDS in it I think http://catalog.desig...&category=36113

#6 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

I use the neocell collagen and never noticed any smell or taste other than very mild perhaps.

#7 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:14 AM

That's good about the neocell not smelling, it used to be pretty bad.

I believe that Cargill bought the rights to sell Arthred brand hydrolyzed collagen from DGF Stoess in Germany and when Gelita bought DGF Stoess they relaunched it as Fortigel. Arthred is still available unflavored if you do a google search.

#8 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

Neocell's formula seems to have improved over the last several years. When I first used it, it did kinda smell and it was hard to mix even in warm water.  Started using it again this year and it mixes far easier and has next to no taste. I notice a difference in my skin tone, sleep quality and joint comfort from it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:13 AM

It probably has to do with the molecular weight, the lower it is (more hydrolyzed) the less taste and the easier mixing it is.

I used to take a German collagen from cow skin about 2-2,5KDA with no taste at all and when poured in water was instantly dissolved without any clumping at all, I bought another collagen from chicken bones of which I don't know the molecular weight (but I bet it is higher) that taste lightly of chicken and clumps a bit.  

A lower molecular weight should be a good sign of better bio availability, therefore no taste and no clumps should mean better quality.

A lower molecular weight is more expensive too (at least to make).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gelatin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users