Photo

Nilotinib for Parkinson's Completes Small Human Trial

parkinsons nilotinib autophagy

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:05 AM

Wow, this went fast! (Kudos to whoever managed to ramrod this through the FDA in less than a century.) The result: with high statistical uncertainty, it worked brilliantly. The published data is still pending, but it's already clear that this deserves a closer look. User zen mentioned this strategy for neurodegenerative disease in general back in 2013. I've previously speculated on its use in Alzheimer's. Nilotinib is a cancer drug that works by hyperaccelerating autophagy to the point of causing cancer cells to digest themselves, effectively.

• like x 1

#2 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

New info:

IT IS the first drug that seems to directly target the causes of Parkinson’s disease. People taking part in a safety trial have had their symptoms reversed, allowing them to talk, get out of bed and feed themselves once again....

“We’ve seen patients at end stages of the disease coming back to life,”... 

https://www.newscien...ent=NewTemplate

"The use of nilotinib in doses much smaller than are used to treat cancer, which is up to 800 milligrams daily, was well tolerated with no serious side effects," Pagan explains.

For the trial the doses were kept between 150 and 300 milligrams daily, he added.

http://www.techtimes...stage-trial.htm

Most discussion seems to be here:

http://www.longecity...lopment-theory/

1st post? 2013

http://www.longecity...ative-diseases/

Edited by Logic, 11 December 2015 - 04:00 PM.

• like x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 resveratrol_guy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:44 AM

"Sadly, the effect of nilotinib doesn’t seem to last once people stop taking it, and when the trial ended, they started to deteriorate again, says Moussa. Many have since tried to get hold of the drug themselves, but it costs a whopping $10,000 a month."

It sounds as though these patients are in such poor shape that stopping nilotinib rapidly returns them to a state of impaired autophagy and increased junk protein accumulation. Nevermind the fact that it's obviously cost-prohibitive to obtain and the patent won't expire until 2027. How sad, Novartis!

#4 Santi

• 21 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:26 AM

It looks like it is being sold by online pharmacies for around $1300 for a month's supply if you only need 150mg per day to get the desired effect. Of course who knows if it is actually nilotinib.

#5 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

As it gets rid of misfolded proteins in the brain; I wonder if an even smaller dose a couple of times a week or month might not be a good idea?

Is anyone interested in a group buy if I can swing it?

• Agree x 2

#6 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

Some notable quotes from the above links:

Study participants with earlier stage disease responded best, as did those diagnosed with Lewy body dementia, often described as a combination of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases
For the therapy to be as successful as possible in patients, the agent would need to be used early on in neurodegenerative diseases, Moussa hypothesizes.
Moussa is planning a phase II clinical trial in participants who have been diagnosed with disorders that feature buildup of the protein alpha Synuclein. These disorders include Lewy body dementia, Parkinson’s disease, progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) and multiple system atrophy (MSA).

Alan Hoffman, a professor emeritus of social science education at Georgia State University, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 1997. He says he participated in several clinical trials with no benefit until he enrolled in Pagan’s study.
“Before the nilotinib, I did almost nothing around the house,” he says. “Now, I empty the garbage, unload the dishwasher, load the washer and the dryer, set the table, even take responsibility for grilling.”
In the three weeks prior to enrolling in the study, Hoffman says he fell eight times, but he only fell once during six months on the study. His speech has improved, as has his thinking.
“My wife says it’s life-changing for her and for my children and grandchildren,” Hoffman says. “To say that nilotinib has made a change in our lives is a huge understatement.”
Hoffman and other patients in the clinical trial can continue taking nilotinib as part of an expanded access study.

https://www.georgeto...sons-study.html
https://gumc.georget...e-in-Parkinsons

• Informative x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:30 AM

You can get this med(non-generic 28 caps, 200mg/cap) in Mexico for 19,800 Mex pesos, or about $1238 US dollar.  Let me know if anyone is interested.

Edited by noot_in_the_sky, 24 December 2015 - 01:49 AM.

#8 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

As it gets rid of misfolded proteins in the brain; I wonder if an even smaller dose a couple of times a week or month might not be a good idea?

I contacted a Chinese manufacturer, and they say they make 1 kg of Nilotinib for USD 4200.   So if anyone is interested in a group buy we can get this started.

1 kg will give yield ~3333 doses at 300mg.

• like x 3

#9 resveratrol_guy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

I contacted a Chinese manufacturer, and they say they make 1 kg of Nilotinib for USD 4200.   So if anyone is interested in a group buy we can get this started.

1 kg will give yield ~3333 doses at 300mg.

I suggest you create a group buy thread so we can seriously discuss your proposal, which also needs some sort of authentication method, e.g. NMR or HPLC.

#10 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

I just made a group buy thread:

http://www.longecity...inib-group-buy/

#11 Ali Ismail

• 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

Has anyone started it yet ?

#12 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Has anyone started it yet ?

Not yet Ali
I will be be posting here as soon as I hear back from Niner.
http://www.longecity...roup-buy/page-2

I hope to get the buy started this week as the Chinese new year celebrations end tomorrow.
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#13 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:20 AM

Nilotinib group buy:
http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=765364

If you are interested in acquiring Nilotinib prices are as follows:

• Nilotinib $ 8.61 per gram.
  • 3rd party testing: $ 600 divided by the number of people that commit to the buy.
  • 6 people have committed to the group buy so far, so $600/6 = $ 100 each. I am working on 6 people. ie: add $100 to the above cost.
  • Postage from the testing lab has to be added and will differ depending on you location.

So far the following people have committed to the group buy:

• resveratrol_guy                   100 g     $ 961.00  
  • ceridwen                              30 g      $ 358.30      
  • Logic                                    30 g      $ 358.30     
  • noot_in_the_sky                  50 g       $ 530.50
  • LongLife                              100 g     $ 961.00
  • Der Springende Punkt         20 g       $ 272.20 

Persons who has paid so far:

• resveratrol_guy
  • Logic

If you are interested please PM me with your address and I will supply my Paypal Email address and the cost of postage from the lab and the lab's details.

• If a minimum of 200 grams is not reached I will refund those who have paid.
  • If the number of people is less than 6: More money will have to be paid in for testing.
  • If the number of people is more than 6: I will refund the difference.

Timeline:

• Arrival at testing lab after payment of the supplier: 4-6 working days.
  • Testing and splitting/packaging for end destination: 5-7 working days.
  • Postage to final destination:  unknown.

I am holding thumbs that the buy will be successful, so do contact anyone you think may be interested to bring the cost down as much as possible.

#14 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:15 AM

Group Buy Target reached!

People who have paid:

• resveratrol_guy 100g
  • LongLife 100g
  • Der Springende Punkt 20g
  • noot_in_the_sky 58g
  • Logic 30g
  • rikelme 10g
  • ceridwen 77g
  • Alex_G 30 g
  • 'other buyer' 200g (wants to remain anonymous)

Total: 625 grams
That means that we have reached our target.  Thx everyone!  :)
I will be ordering the Nilotinib on Mon, Mar 21 at 0H00 GMT.
(That's at 8pm Sunday night in New York)
Any funds received after this time will have to wait for the next Nilotinib group buy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parkinsons, nilotinib, autophagy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users