• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Calling on all longecity geniuses: WTF is wrong with my brain?

memory cognition retarded

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

Why can't I memorize anything verbatim? I can't memorize any song, only a couple lines at best. I can't memorize any music rythm either. It seems like everyone can do these things without a second thought except me. I've tried all the racetams, all the choline precursors and all the amino acids. Nothing works.

The only two times I was able to memorize an entire song was right after my second dose of piracetam ever. The other time was right after my 3rd dose of benadryl. So I think my memory issue has something to do with acetylcholine levels in my brain. But they stopped working right after that.

I wish I could get my hand on some scopolamine. 

I have major attention and focus issues as well. The only reason I'm able to function is because I'm pretty above average in most other cognitive areas besides verbal and visual memory and attention span. Otherwise I would be a fcking retard.

#2 Sleepdealer

• 144 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

Have you tried dopamine agonists/MAOI's in case you're ADHD?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:39 AM

Did you mean dopamine receptor agonists? Anyways, Dopamine precursors never did anything for me. I would get a short burst of motivation that lasts about an hour and then crash hard. Haven't messed with strong MAOIs but weak ones like ginkgo make my memory and attention worse, even tho they motivate me. 

#4 Lsdium

• 54 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:29 AM

May i ask why you want scopolamine?

#5 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

May i ask why you want scopolamine?

Because I think excessive Ach is the root cause of my issue. This could be because I lack sufficient GABA causing acetylcholine to run wild in my brain and nervous system. It's hard to get GABA up, it's also hard to get Ach down. Keyword here is I THINK, so it's possible that I'm misdiagnosing myself.

Edited by iseethelight, 08 November 2015 - 03:57 AM.

#6 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

I would hazard a guess that you have some issues with inflammation... Look at changing your diet and even your physical environment.

As far as memory I would self experiment with a variety of brain training apps, Dual N-Back, Lumosity, etc

• Agree x 2

#7 Sleepdealer

• 144 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

Did you mean dopamine receptor agonists? Anyways, Dopamine precursors never did anything for me. I would get a short burst of motivation that lasts about an hour and then crash hard. Haven't messed with strong MAOIs but weak ones like ginkgo make my memory and attention worse, even tho they motivate me. 

Yes. Since it seems that ACh has an inverse relation to dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, how about trying Saint Johns Wort? I found this on Wikipedia:

"St. John's wort (SJW), similarly to other herbs, contains a whole host of different chemical constituents that may be pertinent to its therapeutic effects.[31]Hyperforin and adhyperforin, two phloroglucinol constituents of SJW, are TRPC6 receptor agonists and, consequently, they induce noncompetitive reuptake inhibition of monoamines (specifically, dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin), GABA, and glutamate when they activate this ion channel.[11][32][33]"

So you'll have more GABA in your system for one thing, as well as reversing the negative relationship between your monoamines and the ACh. VERY IMPORTANT: Be careful, as St Johns Wort is known to interact with some medicines. If you decide to try it out, look up any possible interactions, or preferrably, consult a doctor, before you do, if you are currently on something. Or any important side effects for that matter.

Edited by Sleepdealer, 08 November 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#8 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

I would hazard a guess that you have some issues with inflammation... Look at changing your diet and even your physical environment.

As far as memory I would self experiment with a variety of brain training apps, Dual N-Back, Lumosity, etc

I have tried gluten free, wheat free, all kinds of diet, no difference. I have moved countries and cities multiple times, no difference. I have been doing dual-n-back daily for the past few months but stuck at dual-2-back, my brain can't process dual-3+back , I do very well on 2-back but useless on 3-back. I also practice spanish and french daily. 

Yes. Since it seems that ACh has an inverse relation to dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, how about trying Saint Johns Wort? I found this on Wikipedia:

"St. John's wort (SJW), similarly to other herbs, contains a whole host of different chemical constituents that may be pertinent to its therapeutic effects.[31]Hyperforin and adhyperforin, two phloroglucinol constituents of SJW, are TRPC6 receptor agonists and, consequently, they induce noncompetitive reuptake inhibition of monoamines (specifically, dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin), GABA, and glutamate when they activate this ion channel.[11][32][33]"

So you'll have more GABA in your system for one thing, as well as reversing the negative relationship between your monoamines and the ACh. VERY IMPORTANT: Be careful, as St Johns Wort is known to interact with some medicines. If you decide to try it out, look up any possible interactions, or preferrably, consult a doctor, before you do, if you are currently on something. Or any important side effects for that matter.

I don't do well on SRIs, numerous undesireable side effects. SJW is also a dirty herb, has adverse effects on eyesight and can cause serotonin syndrome if mixed with other 5ht enhancing supps. 

Edited by iseethelight, 08 November 2015 - 07:05 PM.

• dislike x 1

#9 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

slight chance of autism?

try memory enhancers: tea, bacopa, ginkgo, ginseng?  if adding these, improving diet and exercise habits don't yield any results, it's a sticky situation.

Effects of 12-Week Bacopa monnieri Consumption on Attention, Cognitive Processing, Working Memory, and Functions of Both Cholinergic and Monoaminergic Systems in Healthy Elderly Volunteers

B. monnieri-treated group showed improved working memory together with a decrease in both N100 and P300 latencies

Panax ginseng (G115) improves aspects of working memory performance and subjective ratings of calmness in healthy young adults

Extract of Ginkgo biloba leaves reverses yohimbine-induced spatial working memory deficit in rats

Green tea extract enhances parieto-frontal connectivity during working memory processing

• Good Point x 1

#10 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

slight chance of autism?

try memory enhancers: tea, bacopa, ginkgo, ginseng?  if adding these, improving diet and exercise habits don't yield any results, it's a sticky situation.

Effects of 12-Week Bacopa monnieri Consumption on Attention, Cognitive Processing, Working Memory, and Functions of Both Cholinergic and Monoaminergic Systems in Healthy Elderly Volunteers

B. monnieri-treated group showed improved working memory together with a decrease in both N100 and P300 latencies

Panax ginseng (G115) improves aspects of working memory performance and subjective ratings of calmness in healthy young adults

Extract of Ginkgo biloba leaves reverses yohimbine-induced spatial working memory deficit in rats

Green tea extract enhances parieto-frontal connectivity during working memory processing

Definitely not autistic at all, I don't match any of the symptoms.  I have tried ginkgo, tea, ginseng, no memory effect, some adverse effects like anger, fear, depression. They did give me a slight motivation to work and also made me sweat more. Haven't tried bacopa but doubt it will help since I have already have issues with a hyper cholinergic system. 

I may have an issue with pyroluria. it's not recognized by mainstream medicine and it has a lot of vague symptoms that you can attribute to most disorders but I match almost 90% of the symptoms. My system doesn't like zinc. B6 and P5P's effects can be felt slightly and then vanish after an hour, so I might need to megadose.

Edited by iseethelight, 09 November 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#11 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

Ease Anxiety & Depression Simple Lab tests which may change your life!

Depression and anxiety can cripple an otherwise productive life. Often times, these conditions run in families. There are two conditions which are recognized by lab testing that can help figure out how to treat depression and anxiety without medication! If either or both labs are positive there are metabolic issues that can be corrected with nutritional supplementation.

PYROLURIA:

Pyroluria anxiety/depression results from a genetic problem with hemoglobin metabolism that results in a chronic deficiency of both vitamin B6 and zinc. Symptoms are frequent mood swings, problems with temper, inability to tolerate stress, and high anxiety. Other common symptoms include: easily tires, poor dream recall, stretch marks on the skin, forgetfulness, tendency for addictive behavior, and a poor appetite for breakfast. They have a tendency to become loners as they age. Mental symptoms are aggravated when under stress. Not all symptoms need to be present to benefit from treatment. If positive for pyroluria one must avoid fish oil, copper, and red and yellow food dyes.

The definitive lab is a urine test that measures levels of kryptopyrrole. Any alcoholic or person with the above symptoms should have the test done. This test is very inexpensive and is available from our office.

Treatment is done by supplementing vitamin B6 and zinc at high enough levels to correct the imbalance. B6 is supplemented until dream recall returns, as well as zinc and other supportive nutrients. The results will be evident in 2 days to 2 weeks (depending on the severity of pyroluria). Total reversal of symptoms may take three to four months. This is a genetic condition, therefore, if supplementation is stopped, the symptoms return within one to two weeks.

SYMPTOMS OF PYROLURIA:

Tendency to sunburn                 Prone to side stitches
Weak appetite in the morning    Unexplained nausea
Hypoglycemia                            Motion sickness
Panic attacks                             Depression
Anxiety, sometimes severe        Bipolar disorder
Schizophrenia                           Allergies
Alcohol problems                       Forgets dreams
Easily fatigued                          Emotional instability
Antisocial                                  White spots on fingernails
Joint pain                                  Poor reaction to stress
Famous for their temper           Mood swings
Sensitivity to light   

• Informative x 1

#12 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

Ease Anxiety & Depression Simple Lab tests which may change your life!

Depression and anxiety can cripple an otherwise productive life. Often times, these conditions run in families. There are two conditions which are recognized by lab testing that can help figure out how to treat depression and anxiety without medication! If either or both labs are positive there are metabolic issues that can be corrected with nutritional supplementation.

PYROLURIA:

Pyroluria anxiety/depression results from a genetic problem with hemoglobin metabolism that results in a chronic deficiency of both vitamin B6 and zinc. Symptoms are frequent mood swings, problems with temper, inability to tolerate stress, and high anxiety. Other common symptoms include: easily tires, poor dream recall, stretch marks on the skin, forgetfulness, tendency for addictive behavior, and a poor appetite for breakfast. They have a tendency to become loners as they age. Mental symptoms are aggravated when under stress. Not all symptoms need to be present to benefit from treatment. If positive for pyroluria one must avoid fish oil, copper, and red and yellow food dyes.

The definitive lab is a urine test that measures levels of kryptopyrrole. Any alcoholic or person with the above symptoms should have the test done. This test is very inexpensive and is available from our office.

Treatment is done by supplementing vitamin B6 and zinc at high enough levels to correct the imbalance. B6 is supplemented until dream recall returns, as well as zinc and other supportive nutrients. The results will be evident in 2 days to 2 weeks (depending on the severity of pyroluria). Total reversal of symptoms may take three to four months. This is a genetic condition, therefore, if supplementation is stopped, the symptoms return within one to two weeks.

SYMPTOMS OF PYROLURIA:

Tendency to sunburn                 Prone to side stitches
Weak appetite in the morning    Unexplained nausea
Hypoglycemia                            Motion sickness
Panic attacks                             Depression
Anxiety, sometimes severe        Bipolar disorder
Schizophrenia                           Allergies
Alcohol problems                       Forgets dreams
Easily fatigued                          Emotional instability
Antisocial                                  White spots on fingernails
Joint pain                                  Poor reaction to stress
Famous for their temper           Mood swings
Sensitivity to light   

I've been reading about this for the past couple months and  I match most of the symptoms besides schizophrenia and alcoholism. The side stitch is what got me to take this disorder seriously because it's such an odd symptom. I had it throughout my childhood, although no longer. B6 and P5P has helped a little in megadoses 100+ mg . Zinc always makes me more anxious, negative and lethargic.  I'm afraid to get back on it. I've tried all the different types.

Supplementing over the past few years have removed most of the symptoms except for my memory. My memory used to be worse when I was younger so I can't say it didn't improve but still nowhere near normal. I don't have problems with remembering where I put things or events.  It's the verbal, visual, detail and working memory that's messed up.

Edited by iseethelight, 09 November 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#13 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:47 PM

You think the memory problems are related to the hemoglobin issue, or are related to something else?

#14 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:45 AM

Hey man, sorry to hear about your memory problems.

I've noticed multiple discussions going on:

1. ability to memorize verbatim http://www.longecity...in/#entry750523

2. memorize a song rhythm http://www.longecity...in/#entry750523

3. memorize song lyrics http://www.longecity...in/#entry750523

4. ability to score well on dual n-back  http://www.longecity...in/#entry750607

These are all different things (I realize you were asked specifically about dual n-back =)) and involve different brain systems. Due to our limited knowledge of memory systems (science is working on it) it is very difficult to make judgments about neurotransmitters to change or not change. 

The first thing I would do if I were you is actually determine whether you have a memory deficit at all, and if so, what kind. Have you reached your maximal levels on numerous cambridgebrainsciences tests? If so, which ones? How did you compare to average? Note: this might take you a few weeks/months if you haven't done so already. =)  http://www.cambridgebrainsciences.com

Second, specifically addressing your desire to memorize verbatim, song melodies, song lyrics, etc...have you tried the 20/10 method of learning? Basically, you study for 20 minutes, take a 10 minute break and make sure you don't study at all, then study the same thing for 20 minutes, then 10 minute break, then study for 20 minutes. This takes advantage (theoretically) of priming and receptor trafficking in the brain. You might be very surprised at how much you can remember. Pick one song, listen to it over and over again for 20 minutes, then 10 minute break, then listen to the same song over and over again for 20 minutes, then 10 minute break, then listen to the same song over and over again for 20 minutes. By the end of this you will probably be so bored with the song that you will never want to hear it again. ha

You should also look into spaced repetition learning if you haven't already. Here are some links. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3782739/

Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 589. 

Published online 2013 Sep 25. doi:  10.3389/fnhum.2013.00589
PMCID: PMC3782739
Making long-term memories in minutes: a spaced learning pattern from memory research in education
Abstract

Memory systems select from environmental stimuli those to encode permanently. Repeated stimuli separated by timed spaces without stimuli can initiate Long-Term Potentiation (LTP) and long-term memory (LTM) encoding. These processes occur in time scales of minutes, and have been demonstrated in many species. This study reports on using a specific timed pattern of three repeated stimuli separated by 10 min spaces drawn from both behavioral and laboratory studies of LTP and LTM encoding. A technique was developed based on this pattern to test whether encoding complex information into LTM in students was possible using the pattern within a very short time scale. In an educational context, stimuli were periods of highly compressed instruction, and spaces were created through 10 min distractor activities. Spaced Learning in this form was used as the only means of instruction for a national curriculum Biology course, and led to very rapid LTM encoding as measured by the high-stakes test for the course. Remarkably, learning at a greatly increased speed and in a pattern that included deliberate distraction produced significantly higher scores than random answers (p < 0.00001) and scores were not significantly different for experimental groups (one hour spaced learning) and control groups (four months teaching). Thus learning per hour of instruction, as measured by the test, was significantly higher for the spaced learning groups (p < 0.00001). In a third condition, spaced learning was used to replace the end of course review for one of two examinations. Results showed significantly higher outcomes for the course using spaced learning (p < 0.0005). The implications of these findings and further areas for research are briefly considered.

Spaced Repetition learning: http://www.gwern.net...ced repetition 

I use Anki to maintain memories long term. http://ankisrs.net

Edited by lostfalco, 10 November 2015 - 01:42 AM.

• Well Written x 1
  • Informative x 1

#15 3AlarmLampscooter

• 352 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

Assuming "pyroluria" is indeed a legitimate condition (which I'm not sure of either way), there does seem to be a test for it: https://pyroluriates...hpl-urine-test/

• Good Point x 1

#16 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

Hey man, sorry to hear about your memory problems.

I've noticed multiple discussions going on:

1. ability to memorize verbatim http://www.longecity...in/#entry750523

2. memorize a song rhythm http://www.longecity...in/#entry750523

3. memorize song lyrics http://www.longecity...in/#entry750523

4. ability to score well on dual n-back  http://www.longecity...in/#entry750607

These are all different things (I realize you were asked specifically about dual n-back =)) and involve different brain systems. Due to our limited knowledge of memory systems (science is working on it) it is very difficult to make judgments about neurotransmitters to change or not change. 

The first thing I would do if I were you is actually determine whether you have a memory deficit at all, and if so, what kind. Have you reached your maximal levels on numerous cambridgebrainsciences tests? If so, which ones? How did you compare to average? Note: this might take you a few weeks/months if you haven't done so already. =)  http://www.cambridgebrainsciences.com

Second, specifically addressing your desire to memorize verbatim, song melodies, song lyrics, etc...have you tried the 20/10 method of learning? Basically, you study for 20 minutes, take a 10 minute break and make sure you don't study at all, then study the same thing for 20 minutes, then 10 minute break, then study for 20 minutes. This takes advantage (theoretically) of priming and receptor trafficking in the brain. You might be very surprised at how much you can remember. Pick one song, listen to it over and over again for 20 minutes, then 10 minute break, then listen to the same song over and over again for 20 minutes, then 10 minute break, then listen to the same song over and over again for 20 minutes. By the end of this you will probably be so bored with the song that you will never want to hear it again. ha

You should also look into spaced repetition learning if you haven't already. Here are some links. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3782739/

Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 589. 

Published online 2013 Sep 25. doi:  10.3389/fnhum.2013.00589
PMCID: PMC3782739
Making long-term memories in minutes: a spaced learning pattern from memory research in education
Abstract

Memory systems select from environmental stimuli those to encode permanently. Repeated stimuli separated by timed spaces without stimuli can initiate Long-Term Potentiation (LTP) and long-term memory (LTM) encoding. These processes occur in time scales of minutes, and have been demonstrated in many species. This study reports on using a specific timed pattern of three repeated stimuli separated by 10 min spaces drawn from both behavioral and laboratory studies of LTP and LTM encoding. A technique was developed based on this pattern to test whether encoding complex information into LTM in students was possible using the pattern within a very short time scale. In an educational context, stimuli were periods of highly compressed instruction, and spaces were created through 10 min distractor activities. Spaced Learning in this form was used as the only means of instruction for a national curriculum Biology course, and led to very rapid LTM encoding as measured by the high-stakes test for the course. Remarkably, learning at a greatly increased speed and in a pattern that included deliberate distraction produced significantly higher scores than random answers (p < 0.00001) and scores were not significantly different for experimental groups (one hour spaced learning) and control groups (four months teaching). Thus learning per hour of instruction, as measured by the test, was significantly higher for the spaced learning groups (p < 0.00001). In a third condition, spaced learning was used to replace the end of course review for one of two examinations. Results showed significantly higher outcomes for the course using spaced learning (p < 0.0005). The implications of these findings and further areas for research are briefly considered.

Spaced Repetition learning: http://www.gwern.net...ced repetition 

I use Anki to maintain memories long term. http://ankisrs.net

I appreciate the detailed response. I without a doubt have a major memory issue. Sometimes I'm amazed that I'm able to function in society as well as I've done. I credit that to my high IQ and social intelligence making up for my memory issues. I believe my issue with different aspects of memory are all related to one disorder. The real puzzble is finding out what that one disorder is. 

While memory and brain exercises have helped me a bit, it's not nearly enough to make a big difference. The reason why I'm sure I have got a brain disorder is because I've had brief flashes of normal memory at random times when starting new supplement or otc drugs. These brief flashes of normalcy only make me understand how much I'm missing out. 

• Disagree x 1

#17 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:45 PM

Assuming "pyroluria" is indeed a legitimate condition (which I'm not sure of either way), there does seem to be a test for it: https://pyroluriates...hpl-urine-test/

This condition is suspect because most of the symptoms can be attributed to many different disorders except for the side stich. 

But I must say that B6 helps me feel much better overall, with a slight improvement in memory. So I think I most likely had a b6 deficiency or I'm not converting enough b6 to its active form of p5p.  But zinc makes me feel worse.

#18 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

I appreciate the detailed response. I without a doubt have a major memory issue. Sometimes I'm amazed that I'm able to function in society as well as I've done. I credit that to my high IQ and social intelligence making up for my memory issues. I believe my issue with different aspects of memory are all related to one disorder. The real puzzble is finding out what that one disorder is. 

While memory and brain exercises have helped me a bit, it's not nearly enough to make a big difference. The reason why I'm sure I have got a brain disorder is because I've had brief flashes of normal memory at random times when starting new supplement or otc drugs. These brief flashes of normalcy only make me understand how much I'm missing out. 

No problem. =)

The reason was asking about cambridgebrainsciences was not to imply that you need to 'train'...it was to use it diagnose what 'type' of memory problem you have. Do you have a problem remembering numbers? Words? Sequences? What type of memory do you have the most trouble with? Working memory? Short term memory? Long term memory? Object memory? Spatial memory? Associative memory? Memory of faces? etc. 

The tests over at cambridgebrainsciences might provide hints to the type of problem you have. Different parts of our brain remember numbers, help us read, process melodies, etc. Also, different mechanisms are involved in working memory, short term memory, long term memory, etc. There is no such thing as 'memory' per se...it's a set of different brain regions, neurotransmitters, mechanisms, etc.

Have you tried the 20/10 method? Have you tried Anki (spaced repetition learning)? 

These are also not 'training' devices per se. They actually take advantage of how our brain machinery already works. 

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Edited by lostfalco, 11 November 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#19 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:12 PM

No problem. =)

The reason was asking about cambridgebrainsciences was not to imply that you need to 'train'...it was to use it diagnose what 'type' of memory problem you have. Do you have a problem remembering numbers? Words? Sequences? What type of memory do you have the most trouble with? Working memory? Short term memory? Long term memory? Object memory? Spatial memory? Associative memory? Memory of faces? etc. 

The tests over at cambridgebrainsciences might provide hints to the type of problem you have. Different parts of our brain remember numbers, help us read, process melodies, etc. Also, different mechanisms are involved in working memory, short term memory, long term memory, etc. There is no such thing as 'memory' per se...it's a set of different brain regions, neurotransmitters, mechanisms, etc.

Have you tried the 20/10 method? Have you tried Anki (spaced repetition learning)? 

These are also not 'training' devices per se. They actually take advantage of how our brain machinery already works. 

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Ha, got it. I will check them out. I didn't do my homework and presumed these were brain training programs. I have issues with all of the memory types you''ve listed. My most troublesome is short term memory (words, numbers, faces, spatial) which in turn affects my long term memory. Once I memorize something to long term memory, I never forget it. I can remember things from as far back as when i was 3 years old in details. But it takes multiple visual exposures to something for me to store it in long term memory. But for verbal memory, it doesn't matter how many times I hear a song or read a passage, I cannot memorize it. I've played songs and read page in a book 50 times back to back, no difference.

#20 woleile

• 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:46 AM

I have a child with memory issues like yours. I also have a child with pyroluria whose memory is excellent. I think it's absolutely worth getting tested/treated for pyroluria, but I don't think it's likely to be the cause of your memory issues. When you say zinc doesn't agree with you, do you mean it irritates your stomach or something else?

Have you tried CILTEP? It's specifically for making longterm memories, so if I were in your boat (and I sort of am, trying to help my child), that's where I'd start.

Also B12 deficiency can cause memory loss. Try methylcobalamin, in case you're one of the people who have trouble absorbing the synthetic (cyano-) form. 

#21 Busyboy

• 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

I take 3 x triple strength fish oil before bed and it definitely helped my memory issues. Also makes your dreams vivid.

#22 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

I have a child with memory issues like yours. I also have a child with pyroluria whose memory is excellent. I think it's absolutely worth getting tested/treated for pyroluria, but I don't think it's likely to be the cause of your memory issues. When you say zinc doesn't agree with you, do you mean it irritates your stomach or something else?

Have you tried CILTEP? It's specifically for making longterm memories, so if I were in your boat (and I sort of am, trying to help my child), that's where I'd start.

Also B12 deficiency can cause memory loss. Try methylcobalamin, in case you're one of the people who have trouble absorbing the synthetic (cyano-) form. 

I haven't tried CILTEP but have tried most of its ingredients independly,( b6, alcar, l-phen worsen my lethargy and decreases my body temp). Zinc gives me constant butterflies in the stomach, stomach aches etc. I tried mb12 for a week at megadoses of 3-6 mg but couldn't notice anything from it. 

I'm currently experimenting with NMDA agonism. I think I may suffer from hypofunction of the nmda. I may also have low histamine level. Again, just speculating and using myself as my own guinea pig. 

I take 3 x triple strength fish oil before bed and it definitely helped my memory issues. Also makes your dreams vivid.

Fish oil has given me a slight motivation in the past but worsens my memory and causes insomnia. 

Edited by iseethelight, 16 December 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#23 Busyboy

• 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

I just got some Lions Mane (supplement not whole mushroom) and I'll be testing it out and see what I get from it. I'll let you know if it helps me.

#24 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

There are 4 types of B12, by the way..

You could have a Folate gene problem.. and not able to process it..

How long have you had this issue?  Any other mental issues.. fog, forgetfulness, depressed or passive.. uninterested in life?  I had lead poison.. and did not believe it.. sure enough the test came back positive.. Have your lead tested. 

#25 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

I have the exact same issue since I can remember and suspect that I have ADHD.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#26 iseethelight

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

Bump. 3 years later, little progress. I think histamkne and acetylcholine are the culprit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: memory, cognition, retarded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users