• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Study Claims Decanoic Acid, aka Capric Acid or C10, Boosts Mitochondrial Function

mitochondria mct oil keto brain health epilepsy coconut oil c10 capric acid decanoic acid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phlogiston

• 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:56 AM

In the attached study, conducted with a human neural cell line, researchers assert that C10, aka decanoic acid, increases mitochondrial numbers and activity. This is significant because of the suspicion that impaired mitochondrial function plays a significant role in neurodegenerative diseases. The researchers suggest that elevated blood levels of C10 from ketogenic diets underlie the symptomatic relief that epilepsy patients receive from ketogenic diets.

C10 is found in coconut oil, usually making up about 6% by volume. There have been many anecdotes about dementia patients showing marked improvement when supplementing with large amounts of coconut oil, usually several tablespoons a day.

C10 is also found in some commercial MCT oils; other brands contain none at all. I have clinically significant cognitive problems which I have discussed elsewhere on the forum, and I take many supps intended to support mitochondrial function. I have been experimenting with Left Coast MCT oil, which is approximately 40% C10. (I am not shilling for Left Coast; there are other MCT oils with a substantial percentage of C10. But as I said, some brands have none, so check labels.)

For several months I took several tablespoons of coconut oil a day, and never perceived any change in my cognition or energy level. But when I take 3-4 tablespoons of Left Coast daily, I experience an unpleasant hypomania. To avoid this, I supplement with far smaller doses, teaspoons rather than tablespoons. The hypomania is something very distinct from the effect of large doses of caffeine or Focalin. The results of this n=1 experiment would seem to indicate that C10 in quantity  really is neurologically active.

I mentioned the study below in the MCT oil thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own, since I know many of us are seeking to enhance mitochondrial function.

Attached Files

• Informative x 4
  • like x 1

#2 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

Nice find, Phlogiston...and thanks for the pdf! That was a very interesting read. So, C10 appears to be a ligand for pparg, causes neuronal mitochondrial biogenesis, and increases mitochondrial complex I activity after 6 days of treatment in a neuronal cell line. Um, that's pretty cool. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

Thx Phlogiston

The list of good things that MCTs do just keeps growing.  

I wish  there a product out that had up to C14 n it for the anti-pathogen effects of the oils around length 12.

IIRC even C16 is good for something.

There are doubts about the amounts one can get orally are not high enough or hang around long enough to be clinically effective, but as it couldn't hurt I've tried VCO on some people with Flu and cats with Simian Herpes to good effect.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:26 PM

C10 is found in coconut oil, usually making up about 6% by volume. There have been many anecdotes about dementia patients showing marked improvement when supplementing with large amounts of coconut oil, usually several tablespoons a day.

Probably won't do anything for citrate synthase. From the C10 paper, it appears that 90-100% C10 is needed.

C8 and C10 are found together in nutritional preparations for incorporation into the MCT-based ketogenic diet (Haidukewych et al. 1982; Kossoff et al. 2009). In view of this, we examined various ratios of C8 to C10 and determined the effects upon citrate synthase activity in the SH-SY5Y cells exposed to such mixtures (final combined concentration 250 lM) for 6 days. Only incubations consisting of 10% C8 and 90% C10, together with the 100% C10 preparation, resulted in a significant increase in citrate synthase activity (Fig 2).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitochondria, mct oil, keto, brain health, epilepsy, coconut oil, c10, capric acid, decanoic acid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users