hair growth

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peatson

• 47 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

Hello everyone,

Just wondering what are your thoughts on L-Cysteine for hair growth and the same for Saw Palmetto? I've heard both are effective but what has the least side effects? and what are other proven benefits of these from what you have noticed? Thanks.

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:58 AM

They work on very different levels, L-Cysteine is very unlikely to need supplementing if a good healthy nutrition plan is applied since it is very common and abundant in many foods, it represent a substrate for keratin formation and for glutathione production.

Saw palmetto has the ability to block an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the latter of which is a more androgenic form and can cause hairloss in the genetically susceptible.

Saw palmetto may effect prostate growth as well.

Sting nettle root, pigeum bark and other plants are very similar to saw palmetto in their action and eventually may work in synergy.

They do work when applied topically too.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Adam Karlovsky

• Guest, Moderator
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

And if you're interested in longevity and increasing healthspan via methionine restriction, you don't want to ruin that by adding cysteine

Edited by Adam Karlovsky, 25 January 2016 - 05:02 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#4 Peatson

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

They work on very different levels, L-Cysteine is very unlikely to need supplementing if a good healthy nutrition plan is applied since it is very common and abundant in many foods, it represent a substrate for keratin formation and for glutathione production.

Saw palmetto has the ability to block an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the latter of which is a more androgenic form and can cause hairloss in the genetically susceptible.

Sting nettle root, pigeum bark and other plants are very similar to saw palmetto in their action and eventually may work in synergy.

And if you're interested in longevity and increasing healthspan via methionine restriction, you don't want to ruin that by adding cysteine

Thank you aconita for this detailed information. When you say may effect prostate growth, you mean in a good way - as in it decreases growth?. I do also have a small epipdymal cyst, will this be good for testicular health?

Also Karlovsky, Saw Palmetto has less side effects than L Cysteine then? Currently I am taking L-arginine, Tumeric and P-5-P.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

Thank you aconita for this detailed information. When you say may effect prostate growth, you mean in a good way - as in it decreases growth?. I do also have a small epipdymal cyst, will this be good for testicular health?

Also Karlovsky, Saw Palmetto has less side effects than L Cysteine then? Currently I am taking L-arginine, Tumeric and P-5-P.

I'm not Adam Karlovsky, but I think you would notice more side effects from Saw Palmetto than cysteine, to the extent that Saw Palmetto is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor like finasteride.  Finasteride can cause semi-permanent if not permanent sexual dysfunction.   It would be safer to use a 5-aR inhibitor topically, if possible.  The only side effect you're likely to see with cysteine is that it would subvert the effect of methionine restriction.   I'm not aware that cysteine actually does anything for hair growth, assuming you don't have some sort of crazy diet that's deficient in cys.  Have you checked out the various hairloss sites?

• Agree x 1

#6 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

Hairloss anyway is a tricky subject, first you have to determine what the cause is and the goal (prevention, regrowth, thickness, patches, hairline, etc...).

#7 Peatson

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

I'm not Adam Karlovsky, but I think you would notice more side effects from Saw Palmetto than cysteine, to the extent that Saw Palmetto is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor like finasteride.  Finasteride can cause semi-permanent if not permanent sexual dysfunction.   It would be safer to use a 5-aR inhibitor topically, if possible.  The only side effect you're likely to see with cysteine is that it would subvert the effect of methionine restriction.   I'm not aware that cysteine actually does anything for hair growth, assuming you don't have some sort of crazy diet that's deficient in cys.  Have you checked out the various hairloss sites?

Thanks for the info - Hmm so do you think I should just simply increase my dose of L-arginine? I know that's good for strengthening hair.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

Without knowing the issue/goal it is difficult to answer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hair growth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users