Oral protection against UV radiation and oxidative stress

uv radiation oral protection sun cream uva uvb oxidative stress aging

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

Keeping up your vitamin D levels is vital, I do 4000 to 8000 IU daily with fatty foods for bioavailability.

I second the lycopene comments. Add tomatoes to your green smoothies.

That's pretty much it for oral. UVB/UVA protection on the other hand helps a lot.

Edited by Nate-2004, 24 April 2018 - 06:42 PM.

#32 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

Astaxanthin is perhaps a 30-60% more potent physical quencher than lycopene in hydrophilic solutions, though less potent in lipophillic solution. However a 6 oz (170 g) can of tomato paste (or tomato sauce equivalent) will have 50 mg lycopene. Locally, I can get the paste (or more often equivalent pasta sauce) for less than half the cost of equivalent quenching activity of astaxanthin in capsules, with perhaps better absorption if the sauce includes oil, and I have to eat something.

Nishida Y et al. 2007. Quenching activities of common hydrophilic and lipophilic antioxidants against singlet oxygen using chemiluminescence detection systemCarotenoid Science11(6), pp.16-20.

The easiest way to supplement Astaxanthin is with Krill Oil where it comes naturally. Viva Naturals is a good brand and DHA is highly bioavailable in this phospholipid form, so is the astaxanthin. 

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

Keeping up your vitamin D levels is vital, I do 4000 to 8000 IU daily with fatty foods for bioavailability.

I second the lycopene comments. Add tomatoes to your green smoothies.

That's pretty much it for oral. UVB/UVA protection on the other hand helps a lot.

You taking your vitamin K2 with that? 

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Filler

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:04 PM

Polypodium Leucotomos Extract, is there a difference between the root vs leaf for UV protection? I noticed the root extract is cheaper than the leaf extract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users