• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Hydrogen Water as a much cheaper alternative to MK677?

hydrogen water ghrelin

• Please log in to reply
623 replies to this topic

#391 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:07 AM

One thing we do know is the mg used for making water has impurities in it. We can take the word of the manufacturors that it has no lead, cadmium, mercury or other metals in it but we know its not pure.

Did you not see my "test tube within a bottle" method of making hydrogen rich water earlier in this thread? It's detailed in this post. Have a look at the video in that post, which explains my methods better than any words. In this method, none of the magnesium or acid is in contact with the drinking water, because both the magnesium and acid remain confined within the test tube.

My method regularly produces 5 ppm pure hydrogen rich water with no contaminants, provided that you shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds at the end of the brew (brew time is around 1 hour). If you don't shake the bottle, then you end up with only around 1 ppm.

But in any case, given the studies I posted above, all these high 5 ppm concentration hydrogen rich waters are probably no better than the low concentration hydrogen rich water produced by a cheap $5 hydrogen water stick bought on eBay.

So all the effort I put into devising this high 5 ppm concentration method of making hydrogen rich water may be a waste of time, because we now know from the studies I posted that both low concentration and high concentration hydrogen rich water produce exactly the same amount of ghrelin release in the stomach.

Edited by Hip, 29 January 2017 - 03:11 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#392 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

@hip

However, ingestion of lactulose had no significant effect on dopaminergic neuron survival in 6-OHDA-induced PD model rats (although alveolar H2 concentrations were elevated). These results emphasize the importance of gastric ghrelin induction in the neuroprotective action of H2

I don't see anything there saying only oral h2 water works, it speaks of ingested lactulose. It says even though h2 alveolar levels were elevated. But does that mean or are they really trying to say that h2 is not h2 and there is something special about the h2 dissolved in water over and above that produced by bacteria or ingested into the bloodstream?

We have all seen studies that turned out to be outliers or were not reproducible. If h2 is h2 then the h produced by bacteria is indistinguishable from h ingested from water or from gas. It may be that many studies used water because its easier to measure the amount taken in while inhaling gas might be harder to quantify. There are links in this thread on results from inhalation with rats as well as humans and good results were shown. At any rate, for drinking the water to be better it would have to be shown that either h is not h, which we know it is or perhaps since it is absorbed higher in the gut than bacteria produced h that makes a difference. This has not been shown so far.

We do know it rapidly gets into the blood via gas, and that blood goes to all parts of the body. I'm not saying drinking it is useless, I just don't see how its better to only use it that way than to use gas or perhaps both. With my tank, I can easily put a little into a glass jar with ro water. Cap it up, perhaps put it upside down so h2 can't escape from any gaps in the cap and soon I have h2 water. The difference is I have no mg or other odds and ends of metals or compounds floating around I must drink along with the h2. The mg used is not usp, its held to much lower standards and suppliers can lie their heads off with no consequences. Or they just don't know.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#393 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:29 AM

Adamh, the hydrogen you are breathing isn't medical grade either (ever asked yourself why there are medical grade and industrial grade oxygen, coming in different color bottles in order to distinguish them?) and hydrogen water made with mag sticks has been professionally tested for impurities showing no concerns whatsoever.

Anyway I am sure you'll be keeping pointing at how filthy mag rods are in every of your post from here to eternity...even if you can't prove in any way your claim.

It would be much nicer to just share your positive experience with breathing hydrogen instead of claiming it is superior to hydrogen water, especially since you actually never tried drinking it in order to compare the effects, just a matter of giving a smarter image of yourself.

In the attempt to back up you claims you seem to ignore a point very well underlined several times: hydrogen water in the STOMACH exerts unique outcomes on ghrelin upregulation which aren't achieved by hydrogen in blood, gut, lungs or other parts of the body.

i am sorry but you can climb on glasses as long as you wish without this reality changing by a bit.

Undoubtedly hydrogen has other mechanisms of action besides triggering ghrelin when ingested which are beneficial and maybe for someone even more welcome than a rise in ghrelin but that is another matter: you can't state that since hydrogen goes everywhere drinking hydrogen water can't be different than any other route, researches just shows route of administration does matter and does exert different outcomes.

Wouldn't be much more interesting to compare different routes and their outcomes instead of focusing on claiming the superiority of one against another?

i find very interesting you get beneficial outcomes breathing hydrogen from a tank, I invite you to keep us informed about your experience, I would be even more interested about you experimenting stopping breathing it for a while and drinking it instead in order to be able to compare the effects on YOU, in the other end it just bores me to read unsupported and silly claims in every single post you write.

This isn't a competition to see whom is better, smarter or using the best method, it is an opportunity to share experiences and LEARN from others, everyone can teach something new or trigger new ideas, that's the only reason why I am on this forum, I read far more than I post, I learn something new almost everyday while on this forum, in exchange I try to share my experiences in the hope somebody finds them useful in a way or another...but that's just me and will not judge whom approaches the matter differently, after all differences are what makes things interesting.  

So all the effort I put into devising this high 5 ppm concentration method of making hydrogen rich water may be a waste of time, because we now know from the studies I posted that both low concentration and high concentration hydrogen rich water produce exactly the same amount of ghrelin release in the stomach.

I don't agree at all, actually to me is the exact opposite since the main limit to hydrogen water is the mag content which doesn't allow multiple ingestion as one might wish because of the laxative effect.

The simple, inexpensive and smart method you developed and tested is a great step forward because it allows unlimited ingestion of hydrogen water (well, to a certain degree at least) therefore enabling to trigger ghrelin release multiple times a day which in this context is indeed very interesting because of the pulsating nature of HGH.

If it is true that concentration doesn't matter (at least regarding ghrelin release), which I would be more comfortable with if confirmed by some research on humans (not mice), it doesn't mean your work has been useless and actually it is definitely one of the most valuable contribute to this tread and I personally thank you a lot for that.

• Agree x 1

#394 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

I don't agree at all, actually to me is the exact opposite since the main limit to hydrogen water is the mag content which doesn't allow multiple ingestion as one might wish because of the laxative effect.

The simple, inexpensive and smart method you developed and tested is a great step forward because it allows unlimited ingestion of hydrogen water (well, to a certain degree at least) therefore enabling to trigger ghrelin release multiple times a day which in this context is indeed very interesting because of the pulsating nature of HGH.

If it is true that concentration doesn't matter (at least regarding ghrelin release), which I would be more comfortable with if confirmed by some research on humans (not mice), it doesn't mean your work has been useless and actually it is definitely one of the most valuable contribute to this tread and I personally thank you a lot for that.

Thanks, aconita, I am gald you find it useful. 

True, my adaption of the Aquela method does allow you to create high concentration 5 ppm hydrogen rich water without any magnesium entering the water, which is an advantage. 

I have also realized that since the study showed (in mice) that H2 concentrations as low as 0.08 ppm are still able to produce the same ghrelin release as higher H2 concentrations, that means if you make yourself a large 1.5 liter bottle of 5 ppm hydrogen rich water at the beginning of the day, that bottle should last you most of the day. You can drink many glasses of hydrogen rich water from that same bottle throughout the day, and still get good ghrelin release effects.

This is because the half life of H2 in water is around 2 hours (according to the MHF), so the H2 concentration in your bottle will decrease according to the following after opening the bottle:

Initial concentration = 5 ppm

After 02 hours = 2.50 ppm

After 04 hours = 1.25 ppm

After 06 hours = 0.63 ppm

After 08 hours = 0.31 ppm

After 10 hours = 0.16 ppm 

After 12 hours = 0.08 ppm 

So this shows that after opening your bottle of 5 ppm hydrogen rich water, the water in the bottle will still have a H2 concentration of 0.08 ppm after 12 hours, and the study showed that this 0.08 ppm is capable of producing the same ghrelin release as higher H2 concentrations.

So for ghrelin release proposes, a bottle of 5 ppm hydrogen rich water remains viable for at least 12 hours after first opening. 

Thus if you want to drink hydrogen rich water multiple times each day, you may only need to make one large bottle of 5 ppm hydrogen rich water in the morning each day, and that bottle should last for most of the day. 

Edited by Hip, 01 February 2017 - 11:28 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#395 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

Indeed... and if one leaves the test tube inside the bottle the drop in pressure after opening will allow for a re-start of hydrogen production likely leading to higher concentrations than those shown in your table even after few hours, possibly the concentration will not drop much at all from the initial 5ppm.

#396 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:51 PM

One issue that occurs now and then when I make my 5 ppm hydrogen rich water using the "test tube within a bottle method" is that I get a small amount of hydrogen sulphide being produced. Hydrogen sulphide gas (H2S) has a characteristic rotten egg smell. Very small amounts are not hazardous, and in fact is beneficial for health (some mineral waters naturally contain hydrogen sulphide); however, the smell makes drinking my hydrogen rich water less appetizing. 

I am not sure how the hydrogen sulphide is created. My only guess is that the H2 gas in the water reacts with the sulphate ion naturally present in my tap drinking water (data from my municipal tap water supplier indicates that there is 55 mg of sulphate per liter in my tap water).

(The sulphur cannot come from the magnesium (Mg) and citric acid (C6H8O7) reactants, because there is no sulphur atoms in those). 

However, this hydrogen sulphide smell does not always occur. Some batches of hydrogen rich water I make have the H2S smell, and others do not.

I'd like to figure out how to prevent this hydrogen sulphide gas production occurring, just so that my hydrogen rich water tastes and smells better.  I guess I could use a low sulphate mineral water, but then that would increase the cost (and the beauty is at the moment, each 1.5 liter of hydrogen rich water only costs me around 3 pence in terms of the cost of the magnesium and citric acid reactants). 

Edited by Hip, 01 February 2017 - 11:59 PM.

#397 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:26 AM

This explains it a bit: http://www.lenntech.com/sulfates.htm

Some plastic has sulphate added, it might be that the reaction occurring in the test tube leads the plastic tube to leach some.

Since glass test tubes are not fit for the scope plexiglass seems to be the best choice...but I doubt plexiglass test tubes are ready available on the market, anyway plexiglass pipe is available in all sizes, it easy to cut and can be safely glued with superglue (cyanoacrylate), therefore making your own plexiglass test tube is not difficult at all.

Plexiglass should be health wise safer than most other plastics.

#398 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:26 AM

Some plastic has sulphate added, it might be that the reaction occurring in the test tube leads the plastic tube to leach some.

That could be the case, because the smell of hydrogen sulphide is much stronger inside the test tube than it is in the water in the bottle.

However, that might also be because the hydrogen sulphide is actually created in the test tube as part of the magnesium + acid reaction, where the some of hydrogen produced in that reaction forms H2S by reacting with the sulphate in the water.

What I am going to do is try making a batch of hydrogen rich water using pure distilled water inside the test tube, and ordinary tap water as per usual inside the bottle. If the H2S is formed only in the test tube from the sulphate in the water, then using distilled water in the test tube should prevent H2S from being formed.

• Agree x 1

#399 Lreader

• 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:13 AM

Hip:

(1) Do you think natural cork is a safe material for the test tube stopper? That is what I have been using.

(2) Is hydrogen sulphide caustic to breathe? As mentioned I no longer trap and breathe the gas that escapes upon opening the bottle, but when I noticed it was caustic, I assumed that it was because some of the magnesium malate got into water vapor that escaped the test tube along with the hydrogen gas. I then further assumed that some of this magnesium malate would get infused into the drinking water (along with hydrogen), accounting for the slight taste. (In your case it would be magnesium citrate). The caustic effect was amplified when I added the juice from 1/4 of a fresh lime to the water in the bottle. I no longer add juice to the water in the bottle.

(3) I'm now using a dental lab vibrator http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I stabilize the bottle on the platform using two small belts. The machine has 4 rubber feet and is raised so there is room for one belt to go under the machine and over the top of the bottle. The other belt goes around the circumference of the bottle to hold the first strap in place against the bottle. I've been vibrating it at top speed for 5 minutes before opening the bottle. How long would you vibrate it for? I hope the motor won't burn out by running it too hard for too long. Do you think this could raise hydrogen infusion to as much as 10 ppm?

Aconita: What does "glass test tubes are not fit for the scope" mean? That they don't fit through the neck of the bottle? I use a glass test tube and it fits through the neck of a 20 oz. plastic Powerade bottle.

#400 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:30 AM

(1) Do you think natural cork is a safe material for the test tube stopper? That is what I have been using.

I should think so.

(2) Is hydrogen sulphide caustic to breathe? 

Caustic as in corrosive? No, the hydrogen sulphide is a very low dose. It's not dangerous, but the smell is not pleasant. 

(3) I'm now using a dental lab vibrator http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I stabilize the bottle on the platform using two small belts. The machine has 4 rubber feet and is raised so there is room for one belt to go under the machine and over the top of the bottle. The other belt goes around the circumference of the bottle to hold the first strap in place against the bottle. I've been vibrating it at top speed for 5 minutes before opening the bottle. How long would you vibrate it for? I hope the motor won't burn out by running it too hard for too long. Do you think this could raise hydrogen infusion to as much as 10 ppm?

If you note my posts above, the ghrelin secretion triggered by hydrogen rich water in the stomach has been shown to occur even a weak concentrations of 0.08 ppm. So there may not be much point in creating very high concentration hydrogen rich water from the ghrelin perspective. Although the antioxidant effects of H2 are another issue, and presumably those are going to be increased with higher H2 concentrations.

It would be very interesting, though, to see if your setup could produce 10 ppm. Have you thought of buying a 50 or 100 ml plastic syringe and attaching it to a bottle top as shown in this post? Using this simple syringe + bottle top setup, you can very easily measure the ppm concentration just by reading the volume of H2 gas collected in the syringe.

All you do is make your hydrogen rich water, then open the bottle, and attach the syringe + bottle top to the bottle, and let it stand. The H2 gas will then slowly escape from the water, and collect in the syringe, over a period of around 18 hours. Then by reading the amount of gas collected in the syringe after 18 hours, you can work out the ppm concentration using this simple equation:

H2 ppm concentration = V / (12 x B) + 1.57

Where B = volume of the bottle in liters, and V = volume of the H2 gas collected in the syringe in ml. 

Edited by Hip, 02 February 2017 - 04:38 AM.

#401 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:32 AM

Glass is considered as not fit as a test tube for our scope because it may crack due to the chemical reaction going on inside, the issue refers to the aluminum/lye reaction used by the original Aquela, it is possible that mag/acid reaction is kind of milder and doesn't trigger the issue or delays it.

Problem is that shaking with a mag rod containing glass tube inside the bottle might cause it to break, I am not sure vibrating on the plate achieves the same result as shaking, testing for achieved concentrations would provide the answer.

#402 Lreader

• 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:25 AM

I can confirm that the glass test tube with cork (I vented the cork using a thin nail) works perfectly for this purpose, even shaking vigorously side to side. Both can be ordered very cheaply from Lake Charles Manufacturing. Because the cork is vented the pressure both inside and outside the glass becomes equalized. The vibrator on high is very vigorous, more so and more consistent than shaking. Even though built up pressure stops the reaction, the vibrator causes it to start up again. The test tube moves around in the bottle, perhaps with a similar effect as a magnetic stirrer. The bottle being plastic helps cushion the glass.

The effect is like being on continuous aspirin, but with no side effects. I'm satisfied, but perhaps will test the hydrogen ppm if I find time. Thanks Hip, Aconita, and others.  

Edited by Lreader, 02 February 2017 - 06:29 AM.

• Informative x 1

#403 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

Its good that you can generate h2 with other techniques and avoid the mg with its impurities from the old tec. Although it seems there are still some chems getting into the water and a sulfide odor. Might still be better than the mg and acid route. To me, the convenience of the hydrogen tank is what makes it so appealing. I just do not have time to set up  a bunch of equipment, make reactions, fuss with it and so on. I just take a puff of h2 when I get the notion and all is well. I can also make my own h water by simply letting some h into a jar with water and keeping it sealed for a period of time. 

I was thinking in re to the h2 water, perhaps it would be good to have a container, glass preferably, that could be turned upside down so it had an opening at the bottom you could drink from. Perhaps a cap with a flexible tube coming from it that you could raise up so the water does not spill out but you could drink from it. Maybe keep a cap on the flexible tube when not in use. That way the h can't really escape since it rises into the bottom of the container and will keep dissolving into the water. You could even add more water via the tube to take advantage of the h2 still in it and make multiple jars of water from the same infusion of h2 gas.

This would settle the question of is drinking it better than breathing it, which has not been definitively settled. If it does something special in the upper gut which h2 in the lower gut doesn't do and which gas also does not do, then you have the best of both worlds. Who can find a flaw with that besides the cost which over time will actually be cheaper I think.

#404 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

I can also make my own h water by simply letting some h into a jar with water and keeping it sealed for a period of time. 

It's unlikely you will get much H2 dissolving in the water by that method, unless you also shake the jar vigorously for 30 seconds. Even if you do shake, you will not be able to get higher than around 1.57 ppm, because that is the maximum H2 concentration you can achieve at standard atmospheric pressure. To get the 5 ppm hydrogen rich water than the "test tube in a bottle" method achieves, you would need to pressurize your jar to around 6 atmospheres.

However, because we now know that even low concentration hydrogen rich water still produces the same ghrelin release, a 1.57 ppm concentration or lower should be fine. 

#405 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

Hip, those are good points. I realize it might take a while for the h2 to dissolve into the water. It would probably be a good idea to keep the water cool or even cold. Perhaps in the fridge would be best? However, shaking is no problem and even without shaking it would be bound to happen after perhaps a longer period. Some flexible medical grade tubing should work well, make a hole in the cap and seal it up with hot glue unless some other sealant is better. Have 2 one quart or liter glass jars made up, have one in the fridge absorbing h and drink from the other. When a jar gets very low, put more water into it via the tube, I would just put it on the outlet of my 5 stage ro filter. If the water only absorbed 1.5 or 2 ppm, a few cubic inches in the empty part of the jar should do 2 or 3 refills. 

One thing h2 water does not do is benefit the lungs. I saw a study posted somewhere in this thread about how breathing the gas benefited the lungs for people with any sort of lung problems. It also seems to get to the brain quicker and in greater concentration than drinking it. We can benefit our brain mitochondria at the same time we help the lungs and get a supply into the blood. 

#406 aconita

• Topic Starter
  • 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:27 AM

A tank left there to take water from whenever one wishes rises another problem which is the empty space increase whenever taking water from the tank, what is going to fill up that space?

Air?

Then the hydrogen in the water will promptly leave it.

Hydrogen?

Than you have to insert more hydrogen in the tank at every spilling.

Nothing?

Than vacuum will create and water not able to come out, actually likely air going in.

Plus hydrogen is not happy to stay confined for long periods of time in plastic or glass containers, it will escape.

About hydrogen concentration I like to underline that ghrelin up regulation is just one of the effects provided by hydrogen, an important and very welcome one indeed but not the only responsible for all the benefits provided by hydrogen.

Therefore concentration is in my opinion still something to not underestimate, not something to loose sleep about but better to always consider as an important factor.

It would be possible to have a pressurized by an hydrogen tank water tank  but it would require an aluminum tank, a pressure regulator, a pressure manometer, the two tanks connected to each other permanently, an appropriate spilling valve, a water replenisher valve/attachment and the arrangement of a method enabling water to enter the tank (depressurize the tank first or adequately pressurize the water),

All this is possible, of course, but not exactly so easy to homemade simply and inexpensively, anyway it would be a nice set up indeed.    

#407 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:53 AM

The simplest and fastest way that you can make hydrogen rich water, adamh, using your hydrogen cylinder, is just with a food freezer bag. Place a glass of water (eg, 200 ml of water) in the bag, expel all the air from the bag, insert the nozzle of the hydrogen cylinder into the bag, add around 100 ml of hydrogen gas to the bag, and shake the bag for 30 seconds. Then pour the water from the bag into a glass and drink. That way you can make yourself a glass of hydrogen rich water in literally 30 seconds. 

That will allow you to compare the effects of breathing H2, to the effects of drinking hydrogen rich water. And maybe try both together. Look out for a mood boost and libido boost when drinking hydrogen rich water, as those are the effects I have noticed with it.

#408 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hip, that would be a quick way to do it for sure. Since the bag expands with gas being put in it would be almost all h2 in there. Since the bag is plastic the h will escape rapidly but not in 30 seconds or a minute. Not sure how much time it would take to absorb a decent amount. Shaking would expose more area of the water to the h and possibly have bubbles form in the water for a bit. How did you come up with the 30 second figure? You could leave it be until the gas had departed which you would see as the bag gradually deflated. Don't forget gas will dissolve more rapidly in cold water than room temp so you want the water to have been in the fridge first.

Air would have to enter the jar when taking water out using the glass jar tec. By sucking water out and letting air bubble back in, little to no h would escape. The hard part would be refilling it to take advantage of remaining h since the water coming in will push out the air/h2 mixture. It might work for one refill or simply breath the air/h2 mixture at that point. That might be more practical than trying to put more water in without losing too much h. Glass will hold hydrogen indefinitely or at least much longer than we will need it for. By keeping the lid part down the only way h could escape is coming out of the water and through the lid or seal

We are coming up with some good ideas and usable tecs. If using the plastic bag tec it would be good to sniff the h2 when opening the bag so as not to waste it since it won't stay in plastic for long. The glass jar(s) can be kept in the fridge for a long time, weeks at least I would think. The advantage of that is its available at a moments notice.

Its still unclear why ghrelin would be produced in the upper gut but not the lower gut or why h2 in the blood stream would not do the same since it will reach all parts of the body. One or two studies are not conclusive, I read somewhere that up to 60% of all studies are not replicable or come to somewhat different results and conclusions. To be safe it might be good to use both water and gas. Starting with gas to water means of course much greater purity which is important.

#409 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

How did you come up with the 30 second figure? 

30 seconds is the figure stated in the Aquela product study.

Also, in my own tests, for the hydrogen rich water made with my "test tube in a bottle" version of the Aquela product, when you don't shake the bottle, you only get 1 ppm concentration (even though the internal pressure in the bottle is 6 atmospheres); but after just 30 seconds of vigorous shaking, you get 5 ppm.

Its still unclear why ghrelin would be produced in the upper gut but not the lower gut

In this rat study, they found that there are more ghrelin-producing cells in the stomach than in other parts of the gastrointestinal tract. If you look at figure 1(a) of that study, you can see the ghrelin-producing cells (black dots) in the stomach. Compared to figures 1(b) to (d) which show other areas of the gastrointestinal tract, you can see there are considerably more of these ghrelin-producing cells in the stomach than in the other areas of the GI tract.

Edited by Hip, 04 February 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#410 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

If you are worried about the laxative effect all you have to do is filter the hydrogen rich water through a Brita filter.

I don't even bother with that anymore.  As soon as I went to a longer brew time (overnight), instead of putting the bottles straight into the freezer, I was able to drink 32-64 oz of water a day without any laxative effect.

I've been drinking the water for so many months now I'm actually on the verge of reordering magnesium rods and have been through three pounds of Malic Acid.

My verdict is the hydrogen enriched water's chief benefit for ME is it reduces delayed onset muscle soreness after hard workouts, a significant problem for older athletes.

Plus, I actually enjoy the slight effervescence the process produces.

On the negative side, my science oriented teenager keeps telling me I'm probably ingesting minute quantities of arsenic or radioactive element and will eventually die of bone cancer.  He cites the people who still believe Radon cures a variety of ailments.

I just tell him trace quantities of any toxin are just hormetic and whatever doesn't kill me just makes me stronger.  Therefore I will be around to torment him with my bizarre pseudoscientific bodyhacker routines FOREVER.

• Agree x 1

#411 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

I've been drinking the water for so many months now I'm actually on the verge of reordering magnesium rods and have been through three pounds of Malic Acid.

My verdict is the hydrogen enriched water's chief benefit for ME is it reduces delayed onset muscle soreness after hard workouts, a significant problem for older athletes.

If you are drinking hydrogen rich water with magnesium malate in it, then it will not be a very scientific test, because magnesium malate on its own has beneficial effects on the muscles.

You may be interested in my "test tube in a bottle" method of making hydrogen rich water (see this earlier post), in which the magnesium and the malic acid remain inside a test tube, and do not enter the drinking water, so you produce pure hydrogen rich water.

A very short video of my "test tube in a bottle" method is found here

If you are worried about the laxative effect all you have to do is filter the hydrogen rich water through a Brita filter.

According to this article, Brita water filters do not remove calcium or magnesium from the water. So I don't think a Brita filter will help prevent the laxative effect of magnesium in your hydrogen rich water. 

Edited by Hip, 05 February 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#412 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

Thank Goodness for the Placebo effect!  Nice find.  

I've found the opposite info many times.  

"The majority of BRITA cartridges contain a combination of ion exchange resin and activated carbon. The carbon absorbs chlorine, pesticides and organic pollutants, improves taste and eliminates odours and discolouration. It also contains an inhibitor that prevents bacterial growth. The ion exchange resin reduces temporary hardness, which causes limecale. It also significantly reduces levels of metals such as copper and lead. 

The overall hardness of water consists of permanent hardness and temporary hardness. Permanent hardness (caused by calcium and magnesium sulphates as well as chloride) does not influence the taste of water or the function of household appliances. Temporary hardness (caused by calcium and magnesium hydrogen carbonate) primarily affects the taste of food and other beverages prepared with hot water. 

The BRITA water filter cartridge reduces the temporary hardness of drinking water. The results of this reduction: better tasting water for hot drinks and cooked food and less scale build up in household appliances."

Ultimately I disbanded the Brita filtering because my well water is sooo hard I wasn't getting enough use out of each filter before it became clogged.

Edited by Junk Master, 05 February 2017 - 09:26 PM.

#413 Betsy Maldonado

• Validating/Suspended
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

Does anyone know if Streamlover who made this youtube video is still around and if he still makes hydrogen water using this technique in his video?  I PM'd him but no reply yet so not sure if he still comes here:

I want to purchase the materials and was wondering if the links I posted below are still the following materials are the materials he uses.  I don't want to re-invent the wheel since he has had success with specific materials I'd like to get what he has already had success with:

1. Bottles : Not sure if he is using the bottles at the first link or the 2nd link the youtube... the comments were a little confusing as to which bottles were best that didn't shatter in the long run:

2. Lids: To replace old lids when they begin to loose their seal:

3. Magnesium rods:

4. Funnel to pour boiling water into the bottles:

5. Malic acid: The link below is the one I plan to use.  I like this supplier their products are very good.  They sell various magnesium powders too.

6. INSTRUCTIONS: Are these still his current parameters he uses for this protocol:

• The bottles are half-liters or so and my current recipe for that size is 4 new 5" rods
  • 1 gm of malic acid, fill to top with hot water and seal and refrigerate for 3 hours. (can leave up to 12 hours with only slight degrading of concentrations, providing the seals are still tight on the bottles.)
  • This produces regularly 3-4.0 ppm concentrations of H2 water provided you rotate/shake the container 30 sec or so before opening to further help dissolve the H2. (If you're getting a good pop when opening the bottle, feel confident you're getting close to these concentrations.)

I know someone here has developed a different way of making it but I'd need to see a video to better understand how to do it, is there a video anywhere showing how they do it?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Betsy

• like x 1

#414 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

I know someone here has developed a different way of making it but I'd need to see a video to better understand how to do it, is there a video anywhere showing how they do it?

A very short video of my "test tube in a bottle" method is found here

My "test tube in a bottle" method of making hydrogen rich water is detailed in this earlier post, in which the magnesium and the malic acid (or citric acid, or vinegar) remain inside a test tube, and do not enter the drinking water, so you produce pure hydrogen rich water.

• Agree x 1

#415 Betsy Maldonado

• Validating/Suspended
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

A very short video of my "test tube in a bottle" method is found here

My "test tube in a bottle" method of making hydrogen rich water is detailed in this earlier post, in which the magnesium and the malic acid (or citric acid, or vinegar) remain inside a test tube, and do not enter the drinking water, so you produce pure hydrogen rich water.

Oh WOW! Thank you that is extremely helpful.  I will read your earlier post too. Thank you again!

#416 Hip

• 2,389 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:35 AM

Oh WOW! Thank you that is extremely helpful.  I will read your earlier post too. Thank you again!

I have posted a better summary of my method in this post on another thread.

Don't forget to shake your bottle vigorously for 30 seconds after it has "brewed" for around 1 hour. This will help dissolve some of the pressurized hydrogen gas collected at the top of the bottle into the water. You will then end up with a strong hydrogen rich water, having an H2 concentration of around 5 ppm. If you don't shake your bottle vigorously, you will only get around 1 ppm, which is weaker. 

If you want to measure the ppm concentration of the H2 gas in your hydrogen rich water, I developed a cheap method for doing that in this post and this post

Edited by Hip, 13 February 2017 - 07:40 AM.

#417 junkcrap50

• 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

To me, the convenience of the hydrogen tank is what makes it so appealing. I just do not have time to set up  a bunch of equipment, make reactions, fuss with it and so on. I just take a puff of h2 when I get the notion and all is well. I can also make my own h water by simply letting some h into a jar with water and keeping it sealed for a period of time. 

I was thinking in re to the h2 water, perhaps it would be good to have a container, glass preferably, that could be turned upside down so it had an opening at the bottom you could drink from. Perhaps a cap with a flexible tube coming from it that you could raise up so the water does not spill out but you could drink from it. Maybe keep a cap on the flexible tube when not in use. That way the h can't really escape since it rises into the bottom of the container and will keep dissolving into the water. You could even add more water via the tube to take advantage of the h2 still in it and make multiple jars of water from the same infusion of h2 gas.

This would settle the question of is drinking it better than breathing it, which has not been definitively settled. If it does something special in the upper gut which h2 in the lower gut doesn't do and which gas also does not do, then you have the best of both worlds. Who can find a flaw with that besides the cost which over time will actually be cheaper I think.

Air would have to enter the jar when taking water out using the glass jar tec. By sucking water out and letting air bubble back in, little to no h would escape. The hard part would be refilling it to take advantage of remaining h since the water coming in will push out the air/h2 mixture. It might work for one refill or simply breath the air/h2 mixture at that point. That might be more practical than trying to put more water in without losing too much h. Glass will hold hydrogen indefinitely or at least much longer than we will need it for. By keeping the lid part down the only way h could escape is coming out of the water and through the lid or seal

We are coming up with some good ideas and usable tecs. If using the plastic bag tec it would be good to sniff the h2 when opening the bag so as not to waste it since it won't stay in plastic for long. The glass jar(s) can be kept in the fridge for a long time, weeks at least I would think. The advantage of that is its available at a moments notice.

Adamh,

If you're serious about trying hydrogen water, this attachment and/or bottle caps could make things very easy for you:

https://www.amazon.c...ab=&vasStoreID=

https://www.youtube....easebrkr/videos

He is able to connect his "Soda Rope" kit to a large CO2 tank and then fill any type of bottle he wants. He will even adapt any cap you send him with a his Fizz Giz carbination valves/plugs, but he shows you how he does it on his youtube page. You could easily fit his adapter to your hydrogen tank regulator and then fill bottles very easily.

I bought some of his Fizz Giz caps for my own hydrogen water experiments, but didn't get around to finishing my hydrogen water project.

#418 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:06 AM

LongeLurker, that is very interesting but the threads on a hydrogen tank are completely different than those on a co2 tank. I had to jury rig an adaptor. I have made h2 water, not sure about the verdict yet. The first time I tried it I took a big sniff of the air in the jar and got the effect I expected. The second time I was less sure. It will take a while of experimenting to see how it works.

I just take a glass jar half full of water and release some h2 into it then keep upside down in the fridge. When  I want some I turn it right side up and drink.

#419 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:43 AM

Any thoughts on the (cheaper) devices here http://www.chargedfo...pa-charger.html ?

I don't like the idea of getting lots of magnesium from the sticks, as the window of laxative effect is too narrow for me (with respect to all but the threonate form)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#420 Betsy Maldonado

• Validating/Suspended
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

The test tube method only uses 1 stick and the test tube isolates the reaction in the test tube so very little magnesium gets into the water.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydrogen water, ghrelin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users