- - - - -

Afobazole and Pirlindole combination?

afobazole pirlindole adaptol maoi rima depression anxiety

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 banzaidario

• 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

All right so I'm about to order the two mentioned in the title, with the adjunct of Adaptol. Also I'm ordering Moclobemide.

Both Moclobemide and Pirlindole are RIMAs, Pirlindole is probably more effective according to this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9272198

Adaptol is not a RIMA nor a MAOI as far as I know, and Afobazole displays MAOI properties according to come studies, for example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19334502

So the question would be: would it be unadvisable to combine Afobazole with Moclobemide or Pirlindole? Would it be too much? They are both mild in their effect I suppose and I'm going to take a low dose of both so serotonine syndrome wouldn't probably be a concern.

The only thing I'm worried about is insomnia as a side effect, my sleep is already pretty troubled.

I'm treating depression, anxiety, social fobia, all the good stuff, I really need a relief. I should mention that I've suffered from drug-induced psychosis and I'm still somewhat paranoid, but it's probably due to the depression and the anxiety, since there are moments when I feel good and I'm not paranoid at all. I don't have a full blown psychosis at the moment, I don't think there are cameras watching anymore :P

Thank you for your help

#2 banzaidario

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

I mentioned the drug induced psychosis because I thought that inhibit the breakdown of dopamine wouldn't be a good idea in my case. Is that effect intense enough to cause problems? Or given that it will raise mostly serotonin levels will dopamine levels decrease? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Finn

• 135 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft) alone in normal therapeutic doses are know to have launched psychosis, so the drug being more serotonergic than dopaminergic isn't really guarantee of anything. That research comparing moclobemide and pirlindole has really poor completion rate, just over 60% in pirlindole group, thus leading to really small sample, and also many of the patients are on other drugs, is is probably the worst "antidepressant vs another" type of research paper I've read. The most common route of drug interaction is through inhibition or induction the CYP450 enzymes that process the other drug. Through this route, some drugs can decrease or increase dramatically the exposure to other drug. You can't even find proper CYP450 inhibition data for pirlindole, this makes it not-safe to take pretty much anything with it. I'm pretty sure moclobemide is available in pretty much all EU countries, you could also try to get it from your doctor.

Edited by Finn, 31 May 2016 - 02:22 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 banzaidario

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

So you would advise to take pirlindole alone? Or not take it at all and try just with moclobemide which is more studied?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: afobazole, pirlindole, adaptol, maoi, rima, depression, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users