- - - - -

2 Whole house water filters

water filter chlorine bacteria

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:28 AM

I've ended up in possession of 2 whole house water filters and am wondering in which order to set them up (why not use both?)

The 1st one is your standard 20"x4.5" filters. 1st stage a 1 micron sediment pre filter, 2nd stage is an 0.5 PB1 iron/chlorine removal filter.

The 2nd one is a Pelican PC600 which has a 5 micron pre filter and a big tank of GAC medias and bacterial static copper/zinc KDF-55

I was thinking to set them up like

Stage 1 - 1 micron sediment filter

Stage 2 - 0.5 PB1 iron/chlorine removal filter

Stage 3 - Pelican PC600

Stage 4 - 5 micron (no longer a pre filter for the Pelican but now a post filter to polish and wash or capture any carbon dust the Pelican may release)

My initial thinking would be that the Pelican would last a lot longer than the 5 year life because there is less chlorine to adsorb but then I worry, that because the water entering the unit has less chlorine in it, that bacterial growth may end up flourishing inside despite the KDF in there over time. (or should I not worry)

I do have a R/O undersink filtration system so the bacterial growth doesn't concern me a great deal in my eventual drinking water, it's the shower that concerns me. My wife likes to have really hot showers and not turn on the exhaust fan (being winter time here) so it's very steamy and shower filters are generally useless in warm-hot water so I need to take care of it while the water is cold at the point of entry into the house.

What would make a good post filter? I'm guessing I could do away with the 5 micron one and replace it with something that could filter out bacteria but what micron rating is sufficient? I see 0.35 around but do I need smaller?

Or should I let the Pelican do its job and use that one first, then the others to finish the job? How would you do it?

Edited by shifter, 23 June 2016 - 02:35 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water filter, chlorine, bacteria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users