• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Interested In Linux?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 jedsen

• 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

It's funny how you feel you have to defend yourself for using windows, I think that says a lot about how you actually feel about it. Also, attacking Linux the way you did shows even more insecurity in your beloved monopoly and operating system.

#32 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

By blatantly bashing GNU/Linux in areas I know it does well, I know your either very stubborn and have never used it, or your GNU/Linux experience was nowhere near like mine, which would indicate your "considerable intelligence" is paltry in comparison to mine. But, seriously, why do you hate Linux so much? Did it rape your cat and damage your brain?

Foolish, immature response. One you seemingly have abandoned. Rightly so

Anti-trust suit anyone? The fact is Bill Gates and the Market don't give a lfying **** about you, or anyone you love. Grow up a little a realize that capitalism is not about philanthropy (at least, not for it's own sake, but for publicity's sake), but about greed.

Irrelevant sensationalist anti capitalist drivel. You're not a communist you're a poor excuse for one

1) Microsoft has engaged in several, borderline illegal "partnerships" with hardware vendors to make sure that their slap-crappy OS was included as the default install OS (like the one you bough). This basically consisted of bullying the hardware vendor into the contract.

Cite me a source and prove this conjecture. Why would hardware vendors be bullied into paying money to MS when they could use Linux if it met their needs and those of their customers as well. Did MS steal their pocket money.
This is almost as credible as conspiracy theory

sponsored ad

• Advert

#33 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:50 AM

It's funny how you feel you have to defend yourself for using windows, I think that says a lot about how you actually feel about it. Also, attacking Linux the way you did shows even more insecurity in your beloved monopoly and operating system.

I'm defending myself because you are attacking my choices. I am not attacking Linux, I have said it has its place, everyone else can see that, you are insisting that Linux's place is everywhere! Why is Linux not a larger part of the market? Why does this monopoly exist? Linux conquered the server market, you cited that as proof of its superiority in the server market. I accept that, however by the same logic it must also hold that Linux is an inferior choice for the desktop market according to market share.

You're the one who's insecure, because you feel everyone has to agree with you and say that you are right.

#34 jedsen

• 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

I'm simply defending a philosophy that is in alignment with my own. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I would like it if you toned down the insults, just a little. They distract us from reaching any sort of common ground.

As for who's smarter, we could resolve this with an IQ test, or just drop this line altogether, as it really gets us nowhere.

Again, I am not a communist. Do you really think the market cares what you, as an idividual, thinks? Outside of targeted advertising, I'd have to disagree with you.

#35 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

You weren't judging my intelligence based on IQ or anything even remotely as rational, that's the laughable thing. You said that my intelligence MUST be paltry because I don't have the same experience with Linux. You're also accusing half this board of having paltry intelligence in comparison to your own. Should they take IQ tests aswell?

The market does not need to care what I think. The fact that you anthropomorphise it so only hilights your lack of understanding. The market will reflect demand. It does not need to care, if people want linux more than windows it will show in market figures, whether it "cares" or not. As a consumer I am a part of the market, that much is blatantly obvious.

You are asking me to tone down my insults while you insult my choice of university course, my intelligence (albeit in the queerest manner I have ever seen) and my personal beliefs.

You are only defending your philosophy if it is that Linux should be everywhere whether people want it or not. I have stated ad nauseum that Linux is useful in certain contexts, but not useful for me. You continue to dispute this.

Maybe you wish to be seen as this forum's resident "linux expert" or something, but don't allow this desire to interfere with the fact that you must realise not everyone will do as you say.

#36 jedsen

• 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

I really couldn't care who's smarter, as I recall you started this line of argument, proclaiming your "considerable intelligence". My response was a joke, please try to learn to take one.

Ad hominum begets ad hominum, friend. Don't throw out insults and expect none back. Actually, I was holding back most of the time. Now you're questioning my sexuality? That's fucking rich. Remember, us Americans have a different use of that word, so use your "considerable intelligence" to store this fact away, please.

I indeed think Linux should be everywhere. But, who am I to force people to use it? I have no power to do so. It seems you're projecting some grandiose sense of self onto me, one which indeed do not share.

Again, I don't care about my status on some forums, I'm not dumb enough to pay for membership here, or let myself think the amount of crap in my signature determines my intelligence.

#37 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

No, you started the argument by insulting my "considerable intelligence", hence my using the words "do not insult my considerable intelligence"

I never said I didn't expect a response, but for you imply I am the only person getting personal here is wrong.

I'm not questioning your sexuality, and I'm not bothered if you're going to misinterpret the word. If you knew the British have a different meaning for the word then you knew its intended meaning and are just being needlessly argumentative.

You cannot force me but you're doing your best to badger me.

Why is paying for membership here dumb? Please point out anywhere where I have said "crap" in my signature determines my intelligence. I can however point out once again where you have said Linux experience determines intelligence, if you want me to quote it another time for you.

#38 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

For your benefit, as you could do with some "considerable inteligence" yourself: Directly from dictionary.com an American dictionary site:

1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.
2. of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something queer about the language of the prospectus kept investors away.
3. not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel queer.
4. mentally unbalanced or deranged.
5. Slang (disparaging and offensive).
a. homosexual.

Queer is listed as number 5 in the list and as slang. Americans have a slang meaning for the word, but it is obviously not the primary meaning of the word unless you are somehow under educated. The form in which I used it is number one, what many could consider to be the default meaning for the term.

#39 jedsen

• 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

A joke, friend, a joke. I actually thought you must be joking when proclaiming your considerable intelligence. Who would do that?

I have a friend who is a full member, and I like to joke with him about it. He gets nothing out of it aside from the hidden/locked forums, or whatever. From my experience, this forum is actually full of intelligent people who are interested in calm, rational discussion. I often find myself over my head.

I'll find some links backing up my microsoft bashing, and we can debate metaphors for the market all you want.

#40 jedsen

• 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:24 PM

Haha, well I am American, aren't I? Bad english is the primary language here. Unlike you, I have been fully assimilated.

#41 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

How now brown cow. Tea and scones? We can debate over a cup of earl grey.
I have no personal disagreement with you to be honest, if a few minor issues I had with Linux were sorted we'd be on the same boat.

#42 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

Jedsen, jedsen, jedsen. Centurion likes TNG, and obviously thinks Captain Picard is cool enough to use as his avatar. How bad can the guy be? Do you not remember our many hours together, watching Star Trek and debating the finer points of the future universe's politics? I say, let's focus on what brings us togther. To quote Picard, "Ales for all!"

#43 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:55 AM

What am I shoving down your throats? The title of this thread is "Interested in Linux?", so I assume anyone who reads it is in fact interested in Linux. If anything it's people like you who have hijacked this thread and turned it into an argument. Not that I mind, it's just that you're completely off base here.

No one "Hijacked" the thread, we were simply balancing the information here, making sure things were not being portrayed falsely, such as the "bad code instances".

Their "potential" is market leverage through a monopoly. I think people see computers as a means to an end, and are mostly unaware of the consequences of their actions (or inaction). Yes, I think Windows sucks. I've used it, hated it, and now discovered a whole philosophy in line with my own, that doesn't call me a criminal for downloading an essential piece of software. And it's superior to boot.

You are fully entitled to thinking windows sucks. But who called you a criminal? Are you speaking of Microsoft? if so, ok... but so far no one on this board has called you a criminal...

Wow, $139 dollars, while the GNU/Linux people are trying to give away industrial strength software. He must be off his rocker.

It may be industrial strength, but it's not what he needs.

Anti-trust suit anyone? The fact is Bill Gates and the Market don't give a lfying **** about you, or anyone you love. Grow up a little a realize that capitalism is not about philanthropy (at least, not for it's own sake, but for publicity's sake), but about greed.

I know Bill doesn't care about my personal life, feelings, or interests and I never said that, I am speaking of the fact that his company has provided the means for the average person to use the computer with little effort (yeah, debian is pretty user-friendly as well). "Grow up a little" Hmm... Why is that necessary? we all know capitalism doesn't revolve around philanthropy (basic economics class buddy)... But the fact of the matter is that it does not matter *why* he's giving the money... but rather that the $23B is being given away period.

Windows is not stable. Unless you compile your own kernel and have an IQ of 50, then there will be no problems with filesystem support.

Not stable? I respectfully disagree, I hardly ever experience any sort of instability in windows, I see it as a very rock-solid piece of software. "Unless you compile your own kernel and have an IQ of 50" neither of these are required to be free of file system errors and support issues.

Virtual terminals are not default in most distributions, and they're as easy as pressing ctrl-alt-f(n).

I know exactly how VCs work, however, I was stating that not *everyone* would understand the reasoning behind using them.

Because of our bickering this thread has gotten way off topic and is no longer useful in the way the title suggests because we have let our egos do the typing, so I will give you the luxury of the last word, and won't continue to post here until the subject begins to resemble the title of the thread.

I look forward to future debates with you [thumb]

#44 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Nice one Pablo, Jean Luc is indeed the man. To paraphrase from the same episode: "Here's to the finest forum on the internet!"

#45 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

I've been running Debian as my main desktop since 2002. I still have a XP pro machine via KVM and my laptop dual boots between XP Pro and kubuntu. Right now I am typing this on my Debian desktop PC. Even when I use Windows I use abiword or openoffice for all my word processing.

I've got many win32 applications working in WINE.

I like to have control over my computer and have a decent package management system. I don't want to hook it up to the latest DV cameras and creative Zen mp3 players. I don't want to send nudges and winks on msn and flirt with 16yo slappers via a webcam.

I like running a system that runs on different arcitectures.

I like the fact that I can easily install things like Apache, PHP, Python and MySQL. I like the fact that I can install and run powerful research and biological simulation software. I like the fact that I can change and upgrade the kernel. I like the choice of file systems and the ease of clustering.

Most of my customers use Windows on their desktops. It's not an easy thing to move them to Linux. In fact I'm worried they would blame me for any issues that do come up whereas with Windows at least it can be blamed on Windows.

#46 jedsen

• 42 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

I like to have control over my computer and have a decent package management system. I don't want to hook it up to the latest DV cameras and creative Zen mp3 players. I don't want to send nudges and winks on msn and flirt with 16yo slappers via a webcam.

You should know that DV cameras all work with standard RAW/IEEE1294, built into the kernel. There are several projects out there that make free video editing software. Also, if you decide to get a Zen or iPod, both work over USB 2.0 with Amarok. And you can still video chat with people using software like Akiga or Kopete with your USB camera.

Are there professional video/image editing programs for linux? With WINE, yes, but none native and free. There are definitely limitations to what can be done for free. But, again, for the average desktop user, and even the budding video editor/photographer/song maker, there are free alternatives to suit your needs.

#47 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

Most of my customers use Windows on their desktops.

Have any of their PC's caught on fire yet?

#48 attis

• 67 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

Linux is great for folks wanting to understand how computers really work.

Windows is for your kind of folks that want to just play games and chat online.

BSD distros are about host servers with security in mind, and some experimental programming [particular BSD forks are formulated toward such ventures].

Ultimately, if you want to play with Linux, understand you are wanting to study the basics of computer science [programming, OS modification(s), and etc]. I always suggest that folks buy a cheap OS-free PC and buy a few disks of different Linux and BSD distros to test out on that machine because dual booting your own system can be a big counter-intuitive, if not frustrating.

#49 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

I actually find OpenBSD in particular to be one of the simplest systems to install on the planet and one which "just works". I have never got this from a linux distro or from windows - there will always be some small thing that doesn't work and needs fiddling with. However, most linux distros are just as simple to install and use as windows, I actually find *nix OSs in general easier to use than windows as i'm not forced to guess where microsoft hid some obscure setting in an obscure dialog box.

#50 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:43 AM

I have an old PC (Pentium2, 233 Mhz) lying around that I would like to use for downloading music. I could give Linux (or OpenBSD) a try, provided that the following is possible:

- Remote control it from a windows PC once it is installed (and it can run without a monitor attached)
- It is able to access network disks that are used in a Windows environment (SMB/CIFS over TCP/IP) or
- It can share files (not FTP) with windows PC's (probably also SMB/CIFS over TCP/IP or NetBIOS stuff)
- All major file sharing programs for downloading from the Inet have ports to Linux (or OpenBSD)

Is OpenBSD compatible with Linux, i.e. will Linux programs also run on OpenBSD?

#51 attis

• 67 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, most BSD programs have little problems being ported to a Linux driven system, but what must be done to do so is to find out which libraries will be required for their recompilation under the system you wish to setup.

As for remote login, that's inherent in both Linux and BSD, since networking is tightly bound to their functions such as HTTPd, Email servers[POP and SMTP], and etc. What you need to do is to find out exactly what you will be doing with that system, because even though a Pentium 2 is a great cpu to make basic host boxes upon, it will not be nearly as responsive as the bigger machines if you use the current bloated Linux/BSD distros out there. You'll have to find the most basic, slim distro you can find. Something like DamnSmall Linux could be great for you since it runs at 50MB in disc space and can easily operate on a 486DX processor, but with the proviso that you won't get all the eye candy X-windows server and multi-media rendering on it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#52 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

OpenBSD runs great anywhere even on ancient slow hardware and *nix systems in general are made for remote access. I would not dream of seriously running a windows box headless. Use samba (install via packages with one command on OpenBSD) to share files via SMB. Filesharing - either use wine or use a linux client or GNU version.

OpenBSD can run linux programs natively without recompiling, or you can recompile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users