Anti-Aging protocol sum - Your thoughts

protocol anti-aging summary

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:29 PM

Florian, I haven't encountered that article on Andrographis extract.

Compared to the control no significant difference in the relative weights of liver, kidney and testis was observed in the rats treated with low dose (20 mg/Kg body weight) whereas a significant decrease in the relative weight of testis was observed in the rats exposed to medium (200 mg/Kg body weight)

Comparable doses for 70 kg man with the customary 1/6.2 rat-to-human scaling factor would be 225 mg and 2250 mg. They don't report the andrographolide concentration of their extract, but I expect its closer to 30% than the commercial capsule I take (400 mg of 10% min andrographolides: ie 1 pt ethanolic extract and 2 parts leaves/stems). My dosage is hence close to or under the "no effect" dosage from the study.

There are past studies which found no effect from very high doses of Andrographis:

Burgos et al, 1997. Testicular toxicity assesment of Andrographis paniculata dried extract in ratsJournal of ethnopharmacology58(3), pp.219-224.

The possible testicular toxicity of Andrographis paniculata, Nees (Acanthaceae) standardized dried extract was evaluated in male Sprague Dawley rats for 60 days. No testicular toxicity was found with the treatment of 20, 200 and 1000 mg/kg during 60 days as evaluated by reproductive organ weight, testicular histology, ultrastructural analysis of Leydig cells and testosterone levels after 60 days of treatment.

Most herbal hormetins/adaptogens seem to have adverse effects at higher doses. That's just the nature of how many work (polyphenols are redox cyclers, etc.). I think its fairly wise to drop them if pregnant, trying to become pregnant or to impregnate. The reason andrographolide caught my attention is that its off the scales in Nrf2 activation / NF-κB inhibition and systemic bioavailability compared to other herbals, indicating its not just a common cysteine dimer breaker (like the polyphenols), but its also having some steric interactions like a good pharmaceutical would. Hence, smaller doses with less toxicity would have the effects of much more worrysome doses of tea extracts etc.

Reservatrol appears to work primarily as a mild oxidative phosphorylation inhibitor, with downstream effects on AMPK and thence mTOR. It's never been noted as a particularly potent Nrf2 inducer. When studying Nrf2 inducers a couple years ago, I tried to combine the results of a literature search with results from comparative activity screening to develop a ranking of Nrf2 inducers. Notably potent Nrf2 inducers are in bold, with lesser ones grouped into modest or low activity and alphabetized. The most potent ones are synthetic triterpenoids like TP-255 and CDDO-imidazole. I recall the clinical trials with these being disappointing at the time, but I plan on returning to the topic.

Edited by Darryl, 28 September 2016 - 09:47 PM.

• Informative x 3

#32 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:29 PM

Dupe that I'd delete if doable.

Edited by Darryl, 28 September 2016 - 09:42 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

Florian, I haven't encountered that article on Andrographis extract.

Compared to the control no significant difference in the relative weights of liver, kidney and testis was observed in the rats treated with low dose (20 mg/Kg body weight) whereas a significant decrease in the relative weight of testis was observed in the rats exposed to medium (200 mg/Kg body weight)

Comparable doses for 70 kg man with the customary 1/6.2 rat-to-human scaling factor would be 225 mg and 2250 mg. They don't report the andrographolide concentration of their extract, but I expect its closer to 30% than the commercial capsule I take (400 mg of 10% min andrographolides: ie 1 pt ethanolic extract and 2 parts leaves/stems). My dosage is hence close to or under the "no effect" dosage from the study.

There are past studies which found no effect from very high doses of Andrographis:

Burgos et al, 1997. Testicular toxicity assesment of Andrographis paniculata dried extract in ratsJournal of ethnopharmacology58(3), pp.219-224.

The possible testicular toxicity of Andrographis paniculata, Nees (Acanthaceae) standardized dried extract was evaluated in male Sprague Dawley rats for 60 days. No testicular toxicity was found with the treatment of 20, 200 and 1000 mg/kg during 60 days as evaluated by reproductive organ weight, testicular histology, ultrastructural analysis of Leydig cells and testosterone levels after 60 days of treatment.

Most herbal hormetins/adaptogens seem to have adverse effects at higher doses. That's just the nature of how many work (polyphenols are redox cyclers, etc.). I think its fairly wise to drop them if pregnant, trying to become pregnant or to impregnate. The reason andrographolide caught my attention is that its off the scales in Nrf2 activation / NF-κB inhibition and systemic bioavailability compared to other herbals, indicating its not just a common cysteine dimer breaker (like the polyphenols), but its also having some steric interactions like a good pharmaceutical would. Hence, smaller doses with less toxicity would have the effects of much more worrysome doses of tea extracts etc.

Reservatrol appears to work primarily as a mild oxidative phosphorylation inhibitor, with downstream effects on AMPK and thence mTOR. It's never been noted as a particularly potent Nrf2 inducer. When studying Nrf2 inducers a couple years ago, I tried to combine the results of a literature search with results from comparative activity screening to develop a ranking of Nrf2 inducers. Notably potent Nrf2 inducers are in bold, with lesser ones grouped into modest or low activity and alphabetized. The most potent ones are synthetic triterpenoids like TP-255 and CDDO-imidazole. I recall the clinical trials with these being disappointing at the time, but I plan on returning to the topic.

Thanks. The older reports on "Andrographis paniculata" found no effect on testicles, right. But i was especially searching for newer reports. For example:

"Ethonalic leaf extract of Andrographis paniculata-induced oxidative stress in the testis and epididymis of Male Wistar Rats"

http://www.discovery.../v15/n58/A2.pdf

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that the exposure to graded doses of ELAP alters the antioxidant system and increases the lipid
peroxidation in testis and epididymis. The results from the present study can tentatively be suggested that the antioxidant system is impaired
with the administration of ELAP.

But i now think that it's not an issue if you use appropriate dosage.

-------------------

Concerning one of my previous posts on stem cell (hsc, msc,..) self-renewal/differentation balance, i think the main causes for disfunction are senescent cells and DNA damage.

See:

http://www.nature.co...ll/nm.4010.html

"Clearance of senescent cells by ABT263 rejuvenates aged hematopoietic stem cells in mice"

Therefore i will closely follow developments on "senolytics". Looking for a cocktail/substance that is able to kill all types of senescent cells.

Edited by Florian E., 04 October 2016 - 04:03 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 BieraK

• 274 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:34 AM

For Nrf2 induction the best supplements are Andrographis Paniculata and Sulforaphane.

I have an extract of 98% andropholide that I bought from Ebay, I know its a bit risky but the Indian are leaders in doing herbal extraction supplements.
That supplement of 98% adrographolide indicates consuming 50 mg a day, with a maximum of 100, which is equivalent to consuming 500 mg of a 10% pill.

An for sulforaphane I'm thinking in buying some extraction 20:1 soon (Easy to find on ebay). You can read the study of this post that shows the excellent properties of Sulforaphane: http://www.longecity...-the-sirtulins/

An Andrographis+Sulforaphane looks like an excellent combination for Nrf2, Andrographis is also known for their anticancer properties, the same for sulforaphane, so with both you have anticancer prevention, and Nrf2 induction.

For DNA repair... Well, DNA repair is something I've been interested in the last time, my goal is to find ways to stimulate a massive, intense and sustained repair of DNA.
Some things that stimulates DNA Repair:

--->Naringening via hOGG1:

The citrus flavonoid naringenin stimulates DNA repair in prostate cancer cells.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16111881
I will buy a good extract of grapefruit and took it with other things for doing a DNA repair stack
--->As you know selenium, the better is seleniomethionine

--->Cat's Claw, apparently a water extract of the bark works well, at least in this study they use water extract
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16521105
---> Kiwi, but I don't know what its the exact compound in Kiwi that do the job
--->Apigenin: I'm unable to find the study for now, but was via OGG1 activation.
--->Any compound that activates Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α (PPARα)
https://selfhacked.c...to-activate-it/

Most of the compounds that activate the DNA repair that I have been able to find do it through OGG1 (Base excision repair) or PPAR mechanism, however I have not been able to find anything that activates the other mechanism of repair: Nucleotide excision repair

However I think that a good and effective option GHK: CU tripeptide:
https://www.hindawi....ri/2014/151479/
The article is open access, see the tables 3 and 4

Attached Files

Edited by BieraK, 08 January 2017 - 02:41 AM.

• Informative x 1

#35 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

For Nrf2 induction the best supplements are Andrographis Paniculata and Sulforaphane.

I have an extract of 98% andropholide that I bought from Ebay, I know its a bit risky but the Indian are leaders in doing herbal extraction supplements.
That supplement of 98% adrographolide indicates consuming 50 mg a day, with a maximum of 100, which is equivalent to consuming 500 mg of a 10% pill.

An for sulforaphane I'm thinking in buying some extraction 20:1 soon (Easy to find on ebay). You can read the study of this post that shows the excellent properties of Sulforaphane: http://www.longecity...-the-sirtulins/

An Andrographis+Sulforaphane looks like an excellent combination for Nrf2, Andrographis is also known for their anticancer properties, the same for sulforaphane, so with both you have anticancer prevention, and Nrf2 induction.

For DNA repair... Well, DNA repair is something I've been interested in the last time, my goal is to find ways to stimulate a massive, intense and sustained repair of DNA.
Some things that stimulates DNA Repair:

--->Naringening via hOGG1:

The citrus flavonoid naringenin stimulates DNA repair in prostate cancer cells.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16111881
I will buy a good extract of grapefruit and took it with other things for doing a DNA repair stack
--->As you know selenium, the better is seleniomethionine

--->Cat's Claw, apparently a water extract of the bark works well, at least in this study they use water extract
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16521105
---> Kiwi, but I don't know what its the exact compound in Kiwi that do the job
--->Apigenin: I'm unable to find the study for now, but was via OGG1 activation.
--->Any compound that activates Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α (PPARα)
https://selfhacked.c...to-activate-it/

Most of the compounds that activate the DNA repair that I have been able to find do it through OGG1 (Base excision repair) or PPAR mechanism, however I have not been able to find anything that activates the other mechanism of repair: Nucleotide excision repair

However I think that a good and effective option GHK: CU tripeptide:
https://www.hindawi....ri/2014/151479/
The article is open access, see the tables 3 and 4

Thanks very much !! Unfortunately I did't have time to read into all things you've posted. But i'm already using an enhanced Cat's Claw -> AC11 for DNA repair.

I have a question that maybe someone can aswer. To my understanding, some substances trigger repair processes by inducing some kind of (slight) damage. 

It's a bit like if i cut my hand with a knife and then notice "hey yeah, increased cell proliferation, increased skin cell repair, etc..". 

But there are clearly substances where the benefits are by far greater than the triggered damage signaling.

So, one should check very thoroughly how a substance triggers repair processes. Right ?

Perhaps someone can shed light on this. Is it possible, and why/how, that some substances trigger repair processes without inducing (slight) damage ? 

But maybe i got this all wrong  :unsure:

#36 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:55 AM

So, one should check very thoroughly how a substance triggers repair processes. Right ?

Perhaps someone can shed light on this. Is it possible, and why/how, that some substances trigger repair processes without inducing (slight) damage ? 

I don't think inducing slight damage is required for triggering repair. Just for one instance if there's repair mechanisms that require certain substances which are normally low in the diet, then adding that can increase repair. 

Similar to what you mentioned,  we should be concerned with the net amount of repair (or the extent of it), or else it would be pointless if most of the repair is to make up for the effect of the substance itself.

Edited by Never_Ending, 25 January 2017 - 02:02 AM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#37 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

I don't think inducing slight damage is required for triggering repair. Just for one instance if there's repair mechanisms that require certain substances which are normally low in the diet, then adding that can increase repair. 

Similar to what you mentioned,  we should be concerned with the net amount of repair (or the extent of it), or else it would be pointless if most of the repair is to make up for the effect of the substance itself.

Yes, but i would not call this "triggering repair".
Regarding this. I'm trying to eat healthy and sometimes add a few vitamines. But one can't easily monitor nutritional deficiencies. 
I think it's important to try to get as much needed nutritions from natural vegetables etc. instead of supplements. Because of much better absorption.
That's also why i don't think, beside nasty taste etc., that replacement shakes like soylent are a clever solution for this.

My question was more about that i don't understand why it is even possible to overexpress repair processes above standard levels in a healthy way.

• Agree x 1

#38 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

I watched this yesterday, highly relevant to the recent posts on repair I think, even if it is a couple years ago.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#39 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

I watched this yesterday, highly relevant to the recent posts on repair I think, even if it is a couple years ago.

Thanks. Interestingly, at about 27:35 in the video he explains the importance of the thymus. 

Because I was reading some studies about the (very early aging) thymus a few weeks ago. And found this: "Effects of Kinetin on Thymus and Immune Function of Aging Rats" - www.pvj.com.pk/pdf-files/36_3/356-362.pdf

Conclusions: Our results suggest that Kn can protect the structure and substructure of thymus cells and effectively protect against oxidative damage in aging rats induced by D-gal. Consequently, Kn has the effect of increasing immune function and delaying thymus aging.

And Kinetin may also have some other interesting features. But at the moment there are not enough studies about kinetin.

#40 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Yes, but i would not call this "triggering repair".
Regarding this. I'm trying to eat healthy and sometimes add a few vitamines. But one can't easily monitor nutritional deficiencies. 
I think it's important to try to get as much needed nutritions from natural vegetables etc. instead of supplements. Because of much better absorption.
That's also why i don't think, beside nasty taste etc., that replacement shakes like soylent are a clever solution for this.

My question was more about that i don't understand why it is even possible to overexpress repair processes above standard levels in a healthy way.

Well I think what I mentioned can be considered "triggering repair". This is because repair processes are unlikely to be at zero, so boosting and triggering are more or less the same in consequence. Also that was just one example there can be other substances that activate repair pathways too(that are not damage induced).

I agree that we should get most of vitamins from natural sources, since they have many substances and relevant nutrition.   Supplements can be good but relatively few people know how to use them properly,  for example it's easy to over-correct for a deficiency to where you have too much of the vitamin.

#41 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Want to give some updated thoughts...

- Proper chromatin structure is also an important issue. If anybody knows good substances to help with this, you're welcome.

And from what i've read in the past weeks, i think that life is some kind of thermodynamic optimization process.
Following the work of Jeremy England (e.g. https://www.wired.co...pring-disorder/ ; )
Quote (from wired article): "life can be considered as a computation that aims to optimize the storage and use of meaningful information"

Also Aubrey de Grey states that aging is eventually caused by laws of pyhsics (thermodynamics).

Currently i'm trying to find out more about "energy & epigentic optimizations".
But this article seems to me a bit fishy.
Nevertheless some proteins mode of operation is very similar to thermodynamic laws. For example the H1 protein.

I would say, that many parts of the human body are already very well optimized naturally.
But maybe there are things where evolution had to perform some kind of bad trade off and could therefore be optimised.

And, am i right to assume that with "NAD+" boosting substances, we would on the one hand help the body to better handle energy budgets, 
but on the other hand would inhibit epigenetic energy optimizations ?

Edited by Florian E., 14 March 2017 - 09:49 PM.

• Informative x 1

#42 soulprogrammer

• 168 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

What about microbiome? It should be also one of the anti-aging protocol. 

Anyone try combinations like NR+Senolytics+ microbiome? Maybe it really can reverse aging back to 21 years old? 

Edited by soulprogrammer, 12 April 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#43 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

What about microbiome? It should be also one of the anti-aging protocol. 

Anyone try combinations like NR+Senolytics+ microbiome? Maybe it really can reverse aging back to 21 years old? 

Afaik, the major mouse testing program (http://majormouse.org/) will test some combinations soon.

What do you mean by microbiome exactly ? We know that the microbiome gets degraded while aging. So do you recommend to eat some random Probiotics/Prebiotics caps with bacteria ?
Are there any special bacteria strains you would prefer ?
In my opinion there are still many open questions regarding microbiome functions and good vs. bad bacteria.
We are now able to screen the individual microbiome. But it's currently still too expensive. 
Do you already have a smart strategy to enhance good bacteria and get rid of the others ?
And do you know the cause(s) why the microbiome is getting degraded while aging ?
Also interesting would/will be, like Aubrey de grey mentioned, to modify some bacteria genes so that they're able to remove some particles which the body is unable to remove itself.

Concerning your combination (NR+Senolytics+ microbiome). I'm not sure if NR is enough to keep proper epigenetic cell structures, avoid DNA damage and maintain proper autophagy. I would add some more substances to the list.
To what i've read over the last weeks, autophagy is the main factor that extends healthy lifespan in many many anti-aging substances.
So i'm currently very interested in this topic as well. And what exactly causes the impairment of autophagy.
There are a lot of known autophagy boosters which target different cells types. But i'm more interested in methods to reverse this autophagy impairment.

And, has anyone an opinion on "Lunasin" (like LunaRich®) ??
I found this while reading things about epigenetics/chromatin. I'm not sure if Lunasin would be able to "reset" epigenetics (?). But seems like it could have some beneficial effect by an interesting histone acetylase inhibition pathway.

Edited by Florian E., 12 April 2017 - 04:39 PM.

#44 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

I just found some interesting stuff about autophagy, aging, circadian clock regulation and the interplay with sirt1, mtor and per2.

Here:
Negative reciprocal regulation between Sirt1 and Per2 modulates the circadian clock and aging
here:
Chemical chronobiology: Toward drugs manipulating time

And here:

Crosstalk of clock gene expression and autophagy in aging

Abstract

Autophagy and the circadian clock counteract tissue degeneration and support longevity in many organisms. Accumulating evidence indicates that aging compromises both the circadian clock and autophagy but the mechanisms involved are unknown. Here we show that the expression levels of transcriptional repressor components of the circadian oscillator, most prominently the human Period homologue PER2, are strongly reduced in primary dermal fibroblasts from aged humans, while raising the expression of PER2 in the same cells partially restores diminished autophagy levels. The link between clock gene expression and autophagy is corroborated by the finding that the circadian clock drives cell-autonomous, rhythmic autophagy levels in immortalized murine fibroblasts, and that siRNA-mediated downregulation of PER2 decreases autophagy levels while leaving core clock oscillations intact. Moreover, the Period homologue lin-42 regulates autophagy and life span in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans, suggesting an evolutionarily conserved role for Period proteins in autophagy control and aging. Taken together, this study identifies circadian clock proteins as set-point regulators of autophagy and puts forward a model, in which age-related changes of clock gene expression promote declining autophagy levels.

Interesting parts:

Knockdown of PER2 also reduced the cellular amount of ULK1 protein (Fig. 5D) while not affecting Ulk1 mRNA levels (Fig. 5E), which is in line with rhythmic ULK1 protein and non-rhythmic Ulk1 mRNA levels in these cells (Fig. S4B-C). Notably, in combination these findings put forward a mechanistic basis for the correlation between deregulated clock gene expression and decreased autophagy levels in aged human fibroblasts via PER2.

We then asked whether diminished autophagy levels in dermal fibroblasts from old human donors could be rescued by restoring core clock gene expression towards the levels observed in cells from young donors. PER2-GFP was transiently overexpressed in primary dermal fibroblasts from old human donors and autophagic flux was determined. As expected, PER2-GFP displayed distinct patterns of subcellular localization reflecting various states of its regulation by nuclear import, whereas GFP alone was evenly distributed in the cells (Fig. S5B). Importantly, expression of PER2-GFP increased autophagic flux compared to cells that were transfected with a control vector expressing only GFP (Fig. 5F). This finding provides further evidence that altered core clock gene expression contributes to the age-related reduction of autophagic flux and might thereby promote the aging process of human skin fibroblasts. It also demonstrates that the dysfunctional autophagy mechanism of aged cells can be “rejuvenated” by elevating the expression of a single core clock gene.

So, seems like PER2-GFP overexpression could be a solution. 

#45 soulprogrammer

• 168 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:50 AM

"What do you mean by microbiome exactly ?"

I mean this experiment

https://qz.com/951731/a-new-candidate-for-the-fountain-of-youth-transplanting-young-microbiome-into-old-fish-made-them-live-longer/

Compared to normal killfish, those that let microbes from the younger fishes’ feces populate their guts had a 37% longer median lifespan. In a reverse experiment, where sterilized young killfish were fed the feces of middle-aged counterparts, there was no change in the lifespan.

#46 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

"What do you mean by microbiome exactly ?"

I mean this experiment

https://qz.com/951731/a-new-candidate-for-the-fountain-of-youth-transplanting-young-microbiome-into-old-fish-made-them-live-longer/

Compared to normal killfish, those that let microbes from the younger fishes’ feces populate their guts had a 37% longer median lifespan. In a reverse experiment, where sterilized young killfish were fed the feces of middle-aged counterparts, there was no change in the lifespan.

Yes. Thanks. I know some of those studies.
And i think research will find some very interesting features in different bacteria strains. For example like this http://agingfree.org...erse-Depression
Or the Urolithin A stuff. And so many more.
I think there should be a topic somewhere in the forum, to post updates on current microbiome research and bacteria strains.

At the current point i would either
- take prebiotic/probiotic caps (??)
or 
- do a DIY fecal transplant rear infusion from a healthy young donor  :laugh:

Regarding microbiome degradation by age i found this:
Czy3t_FWgAAjl1V.jpg

• Informative x 1

#47 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

While I think the microbiome does have some effect on longevity I don't think it's going to be one of the major keys to rejuvenation. I do think it's a quite useful thing to learn about and manipulate for a number of health problems though.

Edited by Nate-2004, 13 April 2017 - 07:37 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#48 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

While I think the microbiome does have some effect on longevity I don't think it's going to be one of the major keys to rejuvenation. I do think it's a quite useful thing to learn about and manipulate for a number of health problems though.

Agree, maybe not the major key Nate, but it participates very well. If you consider for example metformin and its pleiotropic effects, AMPK activation etc, it is thought (probably not finally proven yet) that it shifts microbiota relative abundances (e.g. of Escherichia spp.) "...resulting in the abundant production of short-chain fatty acids, such as butyrate and propionate, with beneficial activity (Canfora et al., 2015). The changes imposed by metformin on the microbiome might result from taxon-specific resistance/sensitivity ...". See it also in the milestone paper of the Hallmarks of Aging 2016 p. 812:

López-otín C, Galluzzi L, Freije JM, Madeo F, Kroemer G. Metabolic Control of Longevity. Cell. 2016;166(4):802-21.

http://www.cell.com/...8674(16)30981-3

Attached File  Microbiota altered intercellular communication HMA16.PNG   114.75KB   1 downloads

• Agree x 1

#49 Oakman

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Just watched "The Gut: Our Second Brain" 2013 55 min.  It's available on Amazon (and elsewhere).  Excellent! Offers the concept of "our brain" to include the neurons that are part and parcel of our gut. A definite 'must see' if you are interested in this topic.

Description:  For a few years now, scientists have known about the existence of another brain within our bodies – billions of connected neurons, molecules (neurotransmitters) that transmit orders and induce independent reactions. This second brain, or "brain down below," is none other than our stomach.  It can function totally independently and carries out far more than just digestion. It reigns over a spectacular colony of one hundred thousand billion bacteria (our gut flora) whose activity is thought to have an impact on our personalities and decisions, and our shyness or temerity.  Even more astonishing: certain diseases of the brain, like Parkinson's disease, for example, could stem from the degeneration of our intestinal neurons. And we could even treat our stomach pains with hypnosis – curing our stomachs by "talking to them." All these major discoveries have revolutionized our approach to an organ that was previously considered to be dull and passive. The stomach's intelligence is a new avenue of research that is fascinating research teams the world over.

Preview Trailer: https://www.gaia.com...lplayer=preview

Edited by Oakman, 19 April 2017 - 03:02 PM.

• Informative x 1

#50 soulprogrammer

• 168 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

Can you provide link for The Gut: Our Second Brain" 2013, elsewhere? Can't find the video.

#51 Oakman

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

Can you provide link for The Gut: Our Second Brain" 2013, elsewhere? Can't find the video.

You'll need to google it, and look around if it's free somewhere. I have Amazon Prime, so it was free. It may or may not be free otherwise.

#52 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

I'm currently watching an interesting video from Selfhacked that was released 2 days ago, about the gut, microbiome, pre/probiotics etc. (not finished watching yet)
"Dr. Gundry: Lectins are the Root Cause of Inflammation and Disease"

According to this, „leaky gut“ is a major cause for increased inflammation in older people.
And Lectins are one important root cause for "leaky gut".

There is also a great "Lectin avoidance diet" information on Selfhacked -> https://selfhacked.c...ive-everything/

I'm not sure if i will follow such a diet. What i've got out of the video is, that for example plants have several defense systems against natural enemies. For instance, Lectins.
If i go through the "Lectin avoidance diet" list, there is a lot of food i considered beneficial before. 
Seems that for living things there is a constant evolution of "defense systems" vs. "ability to digest such defense system substances". Eat or be eaten.

Maybe instead of the complex "Lectin avoidance diet" i will rather try to better remove lectins out of the body with things like that:

But have to read more first about this topic.

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#53 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

After reading some more stuff about lectins i would call the video title a bit too alarmistic. 

1. Not all lectins are bad
2. Lectins are destroyed by cooking food over 75°C/167°F
3. Only blood type B is hypersensitive to lectins

But:
1. Our current grown corn (and also other stuff) has not much to do with the corn we grew 100/1000 years (or more) ago. Industrial grown crops were optimized with higher amount of lectins for better defence against natural enemies = more yield.
2. Concerning other, "non lectin sensitive", blood types. How do they react to higher amounts of lectins ??

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#54 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

Why is it only blood type B ? 

#55 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Why is it only blood type B ?

Hm. Seems like it's not just type B....

http://www.dadamo.co...t/index.pl?1007

A Few Common Foods That Contain Problem Lectins For Each Blood Type

Type A
--------
Lima bean
Tomato
Eggplant
Garbanzo bean

Type B
-------
Chicken
Corn
Soy
Lentil

Type AB
--------
Chicken
Corn
Bell pepper
Fava bean

Type 0
---------
Wheat
Soy
Peanut
Kidney bean

Lectins: A Summary

Lots of information on lectins can be found on the internet. Unfortunately, the great majority of it is either extremely technical or just wrong to some degree or another. One common misconception is that all lectins in foods are inactivated either by heating, or through the process of digestion. This is true, but only to a certain degree. Some lectins, such as the lectins from beans, are usually rendered inactive by slow and long cooking, but this may not result in all lectins being inactivated. Studies have shown that a percentage does tend to resist destruction, despite heating. Other lectins, such as the lectin from bananas, actually become more potent after heating. Digestive juices can inactivate lectins, but many people simply do not have the levels of stomach acid to do this. If you currently suffer from digestive problems, it is more than likely that you have some degree of lectin sensitivity, and following the diet prescribed for your blood type is the best way to start the healing.

Edited by Florian E., 23 April 2017 - 05:42 PM.

• unsure x 1

#56 Florian E.

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

The lectin topic is old. But maybe has a higher relevance today because of new findings.

Here are some more blood specific lectins to avoid on page 11 and all type lectins on page 12:

Dietary lectins: Blood types & food allergies

http://www.biotype.n...iets/Lectin.pdf

I think, in my case, i will try to avoid wheat products (because our current wheat is a bit too optimized... imho) and other lectins according to my blood type (A).

Edited by Florian E., 24 April 2017 - 02:00 PM.

• unsure x 1

#57 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

I'm currently watching an interesting video from Selfhacked that was released 2 days ago, about the gut, microbiome, pre/probiotics etc. (not finished watching yet)
"Dr. Gundry: Lectins are the Root Cause of Inflammation and Disease"

According to this, „leaky gut“ is a major cause for increased inflammation in older people.
And Lectins are one important root cause for "leaky gut".

There is also a great "Lectin avoidance diet" information on Selfhacked -> https://selfhacked.c...ive-everything/

I'm not sure if i will follow such a diet. What i've got out of the video is, that for example plants have several defense systems against natural enemies. For instance, Lectins.
If i go through the "Lectin avoidance diet" list, there is a lot of food i considered beneficial before. 
Seems that for living things there is a constant evolution of "defense systems" vs. "ability to digest such defense system substances". Eat or be eaten.

Maybe instead of the complex "Lectin avoidance diet" i will rather try to better remove lectins out of the body with things like that:

But have to read more first about this topic.

I'm incredibly skeptical about the lectin / blood-type diet stuff. Don't go restricting yourself from good food like peanut butter or flax seeds or even wheat, without examining the counter evidence. 

https://authoritynut...pe-diet-review/

http://www.refinery2...type-diet-myths

https://www.scienced...40115172246.htm

There are plenty of other things that are more likely to be causing "inflammaging". That said if you're still considering this, the self hacked page linked has listed SNPs associated with "lectin sensitivity", but I'm not sure if that was arbitrary or hypothesis or based in actual association with a real condition studied by geneticists.

The self-hacked site lists genes associated with lectin sensitivity, I checked and have none of those SNPs. That doesn't mean they're legitimate in any way.

• Agree x 1

#58 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:34 AM

Dr. Rhonda Patrick had this to say about lectins.

The topic of “anti-nutrients” in foods has gained popularity. Both food and bacteria may express A and B-like antigens. These type of antigens are found everywhere throughout nature including lectins, which are more concentrated in beans. Heat from cooking destroys lectins most of the time. The connection between lectins destroying gut barrier has mostly been blown out of proportion without any substantive evidence. Most studies have been done by dumping a high concentration of isolated lectins onto cultured cells. It is all about the dose. Too much of a good thing can be toxic.   No studies have been done with feeding mice or people beans and measuring endotoxin release.   

The major problem with lectins can be at high concentrations in people that already have gut problems. Since the gut barrier is already compromised then lectins may aggravate an already primed immune system.

Edited by Nate-2004, 25 April 2017 - 01:35 AM.

• Agree x 1

#59 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

In case you missed it you might be interested to read this interview with Alex Zhavoronkov to the Life Extension Advocacy Foundation.

He says: “…I think that a comprehensive regimen involving metformin, targeted rapalogs, senolytics, anti-inflamatory agents, aspirin, NAC, ACE inhibitors, beta-blockers, PDE5, PCSK9 inhibitors, NAD+ activators and precursors in combination with the regenerative medicine procedures and also a set of cosmetic and lifestyle interventions could easily add 20 years to our life span…”

http://www.leafscien...i-versus-aging/

Alex is CEO of a great small Company, Insilico Medicine, using AI against aging. The Company works in particular on many algorithms advancing aging biomarkers definition and chronological aging predictors. It also curates an interesting data base of geroprotector compounds.

I think Alex is experimenting himself with some of the above. I think you need to have a deep knowledge of biochemistry, as he has, to follow such a regime rigorously, carefully dosing and regularly monitor yourself to check progresses and avoid deleterious side effects.

Also interesting, LEF recently announced a product defined using the company algorithms which is likely the first of a full line. There is also a discussion on LC, here.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#60 Oakman

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

In case you missed it you might be interested to read this interview with Alex Zhavoronkov to the Life Extension Advocacy Foundation.

He says: “…I think that a comprehensive regimen involving metformin, targeted rapalogs, senolytics, anti-inflamatory agents, aspirin, NAC, ACE inhibitors, beta-blockers, PDE5, PCSK9 inhibitors, NAD+ activators and precursors in combination with the regenerative medicine procedures and also a set of cosmetic and lifestyle interventions could easily add 20 years to our life span…”

http://www.leafscien...i-versus-aging/

Alex is CEO of a great small Company, Insilico Medicine, using AI against aging. The Company works in particular on many algorithms advancing aging biomarkers definition and chronological aging predictors. It also curates an interesting data base of geroprotector compounds.

I think Alex is experimenting himself with some of the above. I think you need to have a deep knowledge of biochemistry, as he has, to follow such a regime rigorously, carefully dosing and regularly monitor yourself to check progresses and avoid deleterious side effects.

Also interesting, LEF recently announced a product defined using the company algorithms which is likely the first of a full line. There is also a discussion on LC, here.

Bravo!! I think this young man, Dr. Alex Zhavoronkov, has one of THE BEST ideas concerning longevity research I have seen recently. People are too long-lived and have too variable lifestyles to be able to actually easily do research on them for this affliction (aging). The better we become in modeling the human system, the better we can compute likely outcomes for various drugs and natural compound complexes. More importantly, a computer simulation can run nearly instantaneously, something that takes decades of human research, with large amounts of variables affecting the accuracy of results.

Reading this description of his research (as above), and the interview that follows gives me hope that substantive results in aging and longevity extension may well yet come to pass... before I do! He embodies my thoughts exactly in this paragraph...

"Dr. Zhavoronkov is a longevity enthusiast and he believes we can push the longevity record past the current 122 years. He compares the current state of radical life-extension research to that of computer science in the late 70s, when all the building blocks of the upcoming revolution where either in place already or about to be. To maximise his odds to see the dawn of rejuvenation biotechnology, Alex maintains a strict, healthy regimen that includes regular exercising, monitoring his health conditions, and a variety of drugs and supplements tailored to his specific situation. His current ambitious yet achievable goal is to reach 150 years of age, and he certainly does not think it would be boring to live for that long. He argues life should never be boring and that the way to go to avoid it is finding research interests and passions to motivate oneself. In fact, he further argues, the major challenge to overcome to defeat aging is represented by psychological aging—the tendency people have to accept the decline that comes with age and the changes in behaviour and attitudes that this imposes on them. This aspect is one of the topics he discussed in his book The Ageless Generation: How Advances in BIomedicine Will Transform The Global Economy."

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: protocol, anti-aging, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users