• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How effective is Astragalus taken as a supplement for telomeres?

astragalus telomeres

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MikeGreo

• 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

Hi,

We all know that the ingredient for the TA-65 supplement is the isolated form of Cycloastragenol and perhaps also Astragaloside 4 which is extracted from Astragalus.

However, considering the price and risks associated with TA-65, I was thinking of adding Astragalus to my regimen in order to slow-down, stop and perhaps lengthen the telomeres.

Do we have any reason or evidence to believe this will work with a whole Astragalus supplement? Will appreciate any opinions.

Regards,

Mike

#2 Oakman

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

No, not really. If you read about TA-65 is and what other similar compound are, it is doubtful any dose of the source plant(s) would equal TA-65 supposed effect(s).  Nevertheless, I agree the $$ is prohibitive and so I take this "Gaia Herbs Astragalus Supreme, 60 Liquid Phyto-Capsules", not expecting so 'amazing' results, obviously. Gaia seems one of the more authentic herbalist companies to source from.

IMHO most 'super' anti-aging compounds backed by "pseudo-science" are all over-the-top too expensive You could go broke at $100s/mo on only a few, with dubious results. Caveat emptor is always wise...or if you are simply flush w/$$$...perhaps - why not, it's only $$!

Edited by Oakman, 07 October 2016 - 08:30 PM.

• Agree x 1

#3 GreenPower

• 201 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

There are still no published (trustworthy) report on whether Astragalus or derivates from it has an effect on the lengths of telomeres. If there's an effect we don't know if it's the same for all individuals or if it affect people differently.

If you decide to take a regimen with the aim of extending your telomeres, you might want to consider measuring their current length before you begin and then again after you complete the regimen.

In this way you will know for sure if your telomeres got longer or not.

You will also exclude the risk that your telomeres actually got shorter. Most people would probably not want to continue with a regimen which shortens telomeres.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

There are still no published (trustworthy) report on whether Astragalus or derivates from it has an effect on the lengths of telomeres. 

This is definitely not true. Many people have tested the effects of cycloastragenol on telomere length independently.

It seems that cycloastragenol, according to some reports, is effective in women at increasing telomere length but does nothing in men. Other reports obviously indicate that it works both in men and in women.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#5 GreenPower

• 201 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

There are still no published (trustworthy) report on whether Astragalus or derivates from it has an effect on the lengths of telomeres. 

This is definitely not true. Many people have tested the effects of cycloastragenol on telomere length independently.

It seems that cycloastragenol, according to some reports, is effective in women at increasing telomere length but does nothing in men. Other reports obviously indicate that it works both in men and in women.

People testing the effects independently usually contain only one test subject are are therefore not statistically reliable. My own reporting in this forum is of that kind.

Do you have the sources to the other reports you mentioned?

#6 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

People testing the effects independently usually contain only one test subject are are therefore not statistically reliable. My own reporting in this forum is of that kind.

The forum is dead but this is the example of female telomeres extending and male ones not doing so, with cycloastragenol. Go to his website to see the reports.

http://www.vitamincf...&p=45366#p45366

• Ill informed x 1

#7 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

You can get cycloastragenol cheaper than ta-65

#8 ownphysician

• 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:36 AM

Ron Teeguarden of Dragon Herbs in Los Angeles has been working with and researching and documenting astragalus in a lab in China since the 80's.I'm a newbie so I cant provide a link in case its spam sorry but google super pill 2 dragon herbs and go to the dragon herbs site. There is a detailed article and he and David Wolfe discuss astragalus and telomeres. I have just started the Super pill 2 developed by Ron and his team over many years.

The ingredients:
  • Astragaloside IV
  • Total Astragalosides
  • Gypenosides
  • Resveratrol
  • Organic Ginseng
  • FITT™ full-spectrum whole herb extraction of the following elite adaptogenic herbs:
    • Astragalus FITT
    • Gynostemma FITT
    • Rhodiola FITT
    • He Shou Wu FITT

I recently saw the results of astragalus on my husband who had a very bad flu/virus and went from being flat on his back and unable to move to up and Uber driving all weekend three days after drinking astragalus in powder form three times a day. I sourced it  from our local Ayurvedic clinic. That inspired me to buy super pill 2.

I hope this helps best wishes Rebecca

#9 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

The forum is dead but this is the example of female telomeres extending and male ones not doing so, with cycloastragenol. Go to his website to see the reports.

http://www.vitamincf...&p=45366#p45366

This interpretation is a bit awry, here's the reasoning.  They tested a very ill female ,  one specific ill woman. This does not show the results for "women" in general and they also did not say it does nothing in men they said they haven't seen such an effect yet.

Notice if you read the next post in the source there is a study on a male where the telomerase lengthening was much more than in the woman. If we use the above type of thinking then suddenly it means that it works better on men than on women...These types of conclusions are all founded on single test subjects and cannot be given such weight.   

Telomerase is a very general mechanism if it works it should work in all genders and even all mammals to some extent.  Although when one is sick there is a possible replenishing effect, same as if one is quite old perhaps, so that could be the reason why the two subjects got noticeable effects.

And also in terms of astragalus for healthy people there is likely a very similar effect although I will assume the effect will be dampened (as compared to people who have sustained illness or other factors which prematurely shortened their telomerase)

Edited by Never_Ending, 18 November 2016 - 02:27 PM.

• Good Point x 2

#10 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

This interpretation is a bit awry, here's the reasoning.  They tested a very ill female ,  one specific ill woman. This does not show the results for "women" in general and they also did not say it does nothing in men they said they haven't seen such an effect yet.

Notice if you read the next post in the source there is a study on a male where the telomerase lengthening was much more than in the woman. If we use the above type of thinking then suddenly it means that it works better on men than on women...These types of conclusions are all founded on single test subjects and cannot be given such weight.   

Telomerase is a very general mechanism if it works it should work in all genders and even all mammals to some extent.  Although when one is sick there is a possible replenishing effect, same as if one is quite old perhaps, so that could be the reason why the two subjects got noticeable effects.

And also in terms of astragalus for healthy people there is likely a very similar effect although I will assume the effect will be dampened (as compared to people who have sustained illness or other factors which prematurely shortened their telomerase)

As I said, go and read his own personal website where he has pdf's of his own studies on multiple aged men and women. According to those results the drug clearly favors women in terms of telomere length.

I didn't even say that it doesn't work in men, I said that it works more in women which is true. You tagged me as ill informed for no reason.

• Needs references x 1

#11 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

As I said, go and read his own personal website where he has pdf's of his own studies on multiple aged men and women. According to those results the drug clearly favors women in terms of telomere length.

I didn't even say that it doesn't work in men, I said that it works more in women which is true. You tagged me as ill informed for no reason.

That's not true, you don't know of it working more in any gender. This is one researcher's study, it is also not a well known source.  Just because his studies happen to show it favoring a certain gender isn't even at all indicative. If I found a study done by another researchers website showing it favoring people with dark skin color that doesn't suddenly mean it's true either.  If you take a balanced browse across the web about Astragalosides the general trend shows that is has a positive effect on telomere length in people (however not quite fully established). And there is no overall trend of it favoring any gender.

Edited by Never_Ending, 03 December 2016 - 02:28 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#12 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

[...]

Gosh. You quote a post I made where I clearly clarify my point. Then you accuse me of having said something which I obviously never said. Then you use an extremely dumb example to somehow show me at fault in reasoning. 

Stop drinking cat urine, it is not going to extend your telomeres.

• Unfriendly x 1

#13 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

[...]

Gosh. You quote a post I made where I clearly clarify my point. Then you accuse me of having said something which I obviously never said. Then you use an extremely dumb example to somehow show me at fault in reasoning. 

Stop drinking cat urine, it is not going to extend your telomeres.

Your reasoning was so flawed maybe a poor example was only suitable. You clarified ....to another unfounded statement, are people supposed to be grateful of that?

No one accused you.    Reread your own posts and try to follow what part was being questioned, if you can.

Edited by Never_Ending, 08 December 2016 - 06:20 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astragalus, telomeres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users