• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is Uncaria Rhynchophylla one of the best things that you can take?

uncaria rhynchophylla

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

-Neuroprotective against NMDA-mediated excitotoxicity 1 2 3 4 5 6
-Able to suppress neuroinflammation 1 2
-Protective against neuronal damage induced by Kainic Acid 1
Kainic acid is commonly injected into laboratory animal models to study the effects of experimental ablation. 1
and Kainic Acid induced seizures* 1 2 3 4** 5 by attenuating the expression of the neurotrophic cytokine S100 beta, which is also related to human temporal lobe epilepsy 1
*This study shows that the characteristics of spontaneous seizures in the intrahippocampal KA model display many similarities to other SE models and human temporal lobe epilepsy. 1
**Comparable in potency to the reference drug valproate (250mg/kg) while rhynchophylline was more protective.
-Anxiolytic 1
-Anti-amnesic 1
-Anti-ischemic 1 2
-Improves remyelination 1
-Anti-addiction 1
-Cardioprotective 1 2
-May reduce atherosclerotic progression 1
-Useful as treatment option for schizophrenia 1 2
-Inhibits free radical-induced lysis* of red blood cells 1
*Lysis (/ˈlaɪsᵻs/ ly-səs; Greek λύσις lýsis, "a losing" from λύειν lýein, "to unbind") refers to the breaking down of the membrane of a cell, often by viral, enzymic, or osmotic (that is, "lytic" /ˈlɪtᵻk/ lit-ək) mechanisms that compromise its integrity. 1
-May reverse Alzheimer's disease 1 2 3 4
-It is a fount of (-)-epicatechin* 1
*Plant-derived flavanol (−)epicatechin mitigates anxiety in association with elevated hippocampal monoamine and BDNF levels 1
-Increase angiogenesis 1* but inhibits it in cancerous cells 1
*Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), is a signal protein produced by cells that stimulates vasculogenesis and angiogenesis. It is part of the system that restores the oxygen supply to tissues when blood circulation is inadequate such as in hypoxic conditions. 1
**Vascular endothelial growth factor B (VEGF-B) has recently been shown to be a promising novel neuroprotective agent for several neurodegenerative conditions. In the current study we extended previous work on neuroprotective potential for Parkinson's disease.
These results have demonstrated that VEGF-B has potential as a neuroprotective agent for PD therapy and should be further investigated.
-Protective against a 6-hydroxydopamine model of Parkinson's disease* 1
*The unilateral 6-OHDA rat model of Parkinson's disease revisited: an electromyographic and behavioural analysis. 1
-Anti-cancer 1 2 3
-Anti-inflammation 1
-Causes a shift in the T-cell profile form Th2 towards Th1* 1
*Are You Th1 or Th2 Dominant? 1

PD: I wrote this topic first on reddit https://www.reddit.c...he_best_things/ and thanks to this Markdow to BBCode conversor I didn't need to reformat everything http://feralhosting.github.io/

• Informative x 1

#2 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

I'm sold.. now where do I buy this and are there adverse reactions to its usage?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 William Sterog

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:49 AM

I'm sold.. now where do I buy this and are there adverse reactions to its usage?

I'm sorry, I didn't find any reputable vendor yet. I don't know about adverse reactions, I couldn't find any credible source about side effects.

But I did find this: 

- Metal chelating properties 1
- The plant overall appears to be comparable in antioxidant potency as quercetin, which suggests that a bioactive is significantly more potent. 1
- Uncaria Sinensis, which seems to be similar to Uncaria Rhynchophylla, is able to protect telomeres 1

#4 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:35 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't find any reputable vendor yet. I don't know about adverse reactions, I couldn't find any credible source about side effects.

But I did find this: 

- The plant overall appears to be comparable in antioxidant potency as quercetin, which suggests that a bioactive is significantly more potent. 1
- Uncaria Sinensis, which seems to be similar to Uncaria Rhynchophylla, is able to protect telomeres 1

If it has effects comparable to an antipsychotic medication then it would seem that it would also have very serious possible side effects. The human equivalent dosages listed on examine.com are massive, at 8+ grams for a lightweight person.

• Agree x 1

#5 William Sterog

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

But I did find this:

- Metal chelating properties 1
- Uncaria Sinensis, which seems to be similar to Uncaria Rhynchophylla, is able to protect telomeres 1
If it has effects comparable to an antipsychotic medication then it would seem that it would also have very serious possible side effects. The human equivalent dosages listed on examine.com are massive, at 8+ grams for a lightweight person.

I was thinking about an extract, not raw herb. Everything have side effects, I just didn't found any in my research.

#6 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

i've procured 1000kg of mixed Gou Teng twigs/leaves to decoct a crude alkaloid extract and subsidize a group buy.  am waiting on the university to close, will be rappelling & airlifting some limonene, DCM and ether accordingly (spilt mine).  also, have to be straight with you, i haven't actually procured the twigs/leaves yet, nor the helicopter and climbing equipment, so i need to see the benjamins up front.. who's on board? :ph34r:

meanwhile there are plenty of suppliers selling this subspecies and a dose far less than 8g could be trialed, but why do they all call it cat's claw ..?  makes one worry it is not legitimate gou teng.  the remylenation study in particular wouldn't work with plain cat's claw.

#7 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:18 AM

^ nothing works with plain herbs, its all very carefully managed chemist based extracts. so much for your nature, but its nurture!

Edited by normalizing, 09 October 2016 - 05:21 AM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 William Sterog

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:25 AM

https://www.amazon.c...z/dp/B00OVHGWTQ

People on reddit are recommending this. It is a shame that I cannot purchase it from my country.

They claim that Plum Flower is a good brand, I have never heard about it before, so I don't know if it is true.
  • like x 1

#9 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:39 PM

you should be able to find international shipping on some website, e.g. http://www.mayway.co...act-powder.html

slight problem is only 5:1 extract. looked  up the dose on Geissoschizine Methyl Ether, and it's between 0.2 and 1mg/kg, or 12 to 60mg.  yet i found one estimate of 0.1% w/w content in the whole plant, suggesting that 100g tub of extract contains 500mg, or about 30 doses.  a little weak, but doable.

Not sure if the OP mentioned.. I just came across effects on the 5-HT7[1] and 5-HT1A[2] receptors.  This is turning out to be a very interesting supplement.  Almost too interesting, to the point you start wonder if it's actually good for any of the 10000 things it supposedly is.

#10 William Sterog

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

you should be able to find international shipping on some website, e.g. http://www.mayway.co...act-powder.html

slight problem is only 5:1 extract. looked up the dose on Geissoschizine Methyl Ether, and it's between 0.2 and 1mg/kg, or 12 to 60mg. yet i found one estimate of 0.1% w/w content in the whole plant, suggesting that 100g tub of extract contains 500mg, or about 30 doses. a little weak, but doable.

Not sure if the OP mentioned.. I just came across effects on the 5-HT7[1] and 5-HT1A[2] receptors. This is turning out to be a very interesting supplement. Almost too interesting, to the point you start wonder if it's actually good for any of the 10000 things it supposedly is.

Availability: Out of stock

Yes, I like the too good to be true feeling, I also got it with Polygala and now I'm loving it.

Somebody with better English skills than me should contact Nootropics Depot about this, I have read that they could be working in an extract. All their products are potent and provide information about active compounds and heavy metal presence. I really trust them, they send to my country and they're usually fast and not so expensive, so it would be the best option, at least from my point of view.

#11 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

But I did find this: 

From my experience it makes me a bit drowsy-like. so not much but I would try it rather after work.

The other thing is that it makes me nervous when it´s over but that could just be me.

All in all it isnt, at least for me, that side-effects heavy, though there are herbs that are easier.

You could find it easily by searching for the PinYin name: gou teng.

I cant say that much in regards of the product quality (heavy metals, pesticides & co.). I´ve oriented myself what brand TCM practioneers would choose and I´ve stumbled upon Sun Ten, Sanjiu 999 and the supplyer of Phoenix medical LTD.: Tianjiang Pharmaceuticals (given Phoenix has a good reputation)

Our concentrated herbal granules are produced by Tianjiang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd

https://www.phoenixm...herbal-granules

As mentioned in other threads, You can buy:

h ttp://chineseherb.co.uk/shop/  -> Tianjiang

h ttp://castleblackhealth.com/     -> Sun Ten

and get some herbs and decotions from

h ttps://www.baldwins.co.uk

h ttp://www.bristolbotanicals.co.uk/

I´ve tried decotions from both and was satisied but I cant tell You anything about pollution.

#12 William Sterog

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

But I did find this:

- Metal chelating properties 1
- Uncaria Sinensis, which seems to be similar to Uncaria Rhynchophylla, is able to protect telomeres 1

From my experience it makes me a bit drowsy-like. so not much but I would try it rather after work.
The other thing is that it makes me nervous when it´s over but that could just be me.

All in all it isnt, at least for me, that side-effects heavy, though there are herbs that are easier.

You could find it easily by searching for the PinYin name: gou teng.
I cant say that much in regards of the product quality (heavy metals, pesticides & co.). I´ve oriented myself what brand TCM practioneers would choose and I´ve stumbled upon Sun Ten, Sanjiu 999 and the supplyer of Phoenix medical LTD.: Tianjiang Pharmaceuticals (given Phoenix has a good reputation)

Our concentrated herbal granules are produced by Tianjiang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd

https://www.phoenixm...herbal-granules

As mentioned in other threads, You can buy:
h ttp://chineseherb.co.uk/shop/ -> Tianjiang
h ttp://castleblackhealth.com/ -> Sun Ten

and get some herbs and decotions from
h ttps://www.baldwins.co.uk
h ttp://www.bristolbotanicals.co.uk/

I´ve tried decotions from both and was satisied but I cant tell You anything about pollution.

I took a supplement with uncaria rhynchophylla, albizia julibrissin and ziziphus jujuba. It is supposed to make you calm. It even have a warning so you don't drive... So well, the firt times it made me drowsy, but the last times it started to feel like it was an stimulant. Crazy brain chemistry.

I had have bad experiences with crappy chinese extracts in the past, I'm not taking the risk anymore. What's the point of taking a healthy compound if it is tainted with pesticides and metals?
  • Informative x 1

#13 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Ok so whats Your strategy ?

the only thing that pop up in my mind is searching for e.g. botanical gardens, western growers and such or test the plant or extract via 3rd party testing.

I only know the german company: herba sinica which however grows their herbals also in china but delivers a CoA.

This in turn could require a pharmacy to obtain because it seems that they sell only to companies.

If theres a specific search-term that describes herba sinica, You could find other such companies more easily.

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:12 AM

arent there specific brand name extracts from various companies?

#15 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:46 AM

generally, still sourced and processed in China.

#16 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

^ i was reading uncaria is actually present in the amazon jungle and the tribes there have been using it for centuries for its immune boosting properties. i would assume there are extracts imported from south america, no?

#17 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

Well thats the thing. all the fancy nootropics like Noopept and NSI are supposedly from China at the end.

^ i was reading uncaria is actually present in the amazon jungle and the tribes there have been using it for centuries for its immune boosting properties. i would assume there are extracts imported from south america, no?

I guess You mean Rainforest herbs.

In this case no, because the one from south america is called uncaria totemosa. It´s the vendors who mix the names up and call everything just cats claw.

Edited by Flex, 12 October 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#18 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

What does everyone have against China. It's only a matter of time before they surpass us in productivity and environmental standards, and start buying up our land. Better that we warm up to and show respect for them.
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • unsure x 1

#19 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

Well thats the thing. all the fancy nootropics like Noopept and NSI are supposedly from China at the end.

I guess You mean Rainforest herbs.

In this case no, because the one from south america is called uncaria totemosa. It´s the vendors who mix the names up and call everything just cats claw.

yeh they do call it all cat's claw, but its the same species, whats the major difference between uncaria totemosa and rhynchophylla? being so related, im sure they contain about the same content with perhaps difference in the amount present per gram etc.

#20 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Dont know. It could be or couldnt. Think of the different ginseng species (american vs. noto-ginseng vs. the usual one), could also be that just the amount of the compounds differs in the case of Uncaria.
Its sometimes hard to find a source which lists all or the most compounds in a plant, so that You can compare them.
ncbi could be the first address and google scholar as well. If You arent successful, then find out the compounds that are responsible for the effects and look in google for: Rhynchophylline uncaria totemosa

and dont forget to compare the amounts.

In fact, wiki states that this alkaloid occurs in totemosa as well:

h ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhynchophylline

h ttps://examine.com/supplements/uncaria-rhynchophylla/

• Informative x 1

#21 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

I couldn't find info on the content of totemosa, but admittedly didn't look too hard.  Nott reccommended, but:

More than 20 alkaloids have been identified in Kratom by various researchers; the most abundant is mitragynine, an indole alkaloin. /One study/ reported 66.2% mitragynine in the crude base extract of young Kratom leaves from Thailand. ... Several analogues of mitragynine, namely paynantheine, speciogynine, speciociliatine, and 7-alpha-hydroxy-7H-mitragynine, are also found in Kratom extracts. Analysis of a methanol extract with GC/MSD identified both mitragynine and another alkaloid, rhynchophylline.

Also found this, did the OP include?  Worth reposting.

Strait Pharmaceutical Journal 2012-12

The effect of Nrf2 nuclear translocation induced by Rhynchophylline in ischemia-reperfusion treated rat primary astrocytes

YIN Na1,SONG Yu2,XU Chang-liang3,MA Shi-ping3(1.Taizhou tumor hospital,Taizhou 318000,China;2.Nanjing University of TCM,Nanjing 210046,China;3.China pharmaceutical University,Nanjing 211198,China)

OBJECTIVE To investigate the effect of nuclear factor E2-related factor 2(Nrf2) translocation induced by Rhynchophylline(Rhy) on ischemia-reperfusion injury of rat astrocytes.And to observe the role of phosphatidy linosito I 3-kinase(PI3K) signaling pathway in Nrf2 translocation.

METHODS The primary rat astrocytes was pre-incubated 6h by Rhy with or without Wortmannin(PI3K inhibitor).Then we used oxygen-glucose-dep rivation(OGD)/reperfusion to induce the injury of primary astrocytes.The Nrf2 in nuclear fractions was assayed by western blot analysis.The intercellular ROS level was analyzed on a flow cytometer by dihydroethidium and was indicated with fluorescence intensity(FI).The levels of MDA,LDH and GSH were measured by spectrophotometric method.

RESULTS Rhy treatment induced markedly Nrf2 nuclear translocation in astrocytes,and pretreatment with wortmannin partly blocked Rhy derived Nrf2 nuclear translocation.The levels of ROS,MDA and LDH were increased significantly in model group compared with control group(P0.01),all of which were significantly decreased in Rhy group compared with model group(P0.01).However,the levels of ROS,MDA and LDH in inhibitor group were significantly higher than those Rhy group,lower than those in model group(P0.01).

CONCLUSION PI3K is a very important pathway involved in Rhy derived Nrf2 nuclear translocation in ischemia-reperfusion treated rat primary astrocytes.

Key Words】: Rhynchophylline astrocytes Nrf2 Oxidative stress PI3K

Nrf2 is a basic leucine zipper (bZIP) protein that regulates the expression of antioxidant proteins that protect against oxidative damage triggered by injury and inflammation. Several drugs that stimulate the NFE2L2 pathway are being studied for treatment of diseases that are caused by oxidative stress.

• WellResearched x 1

#22 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

Gastrodia elata/Tian Ma increases and activates Nrf2 expression (HBA = p-Hydroxybenzyl alcohol)

Moreover, expression of PDI, Nrf2, BDNF, GDNF, and MBP genes increased by HBA treatment.

p-Hydroxybenzyl alcohol prevents brain injury and behavioral impairment by activating Nrf2, PDI, and neurotrophic factor genes in a rat model of brain ischemia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21347705

and it induces chelation as well:

Nrf2 directly affects the homeostasis of ROS and RNS by regulating the antioxidant defense systems through several mechanisms (Supplemental Table 1). These include (a) induction of catabolism of superoxide and peroxides through SOD, Prx, and GPx; (b) regeneration of oxidized cofactors and proteins, where GSSG is reduced by GSR, Trxox by TrxR, and Prx-SO2H by Srx; (c) synthesis of reducing factors, i.e., GSH by GCLC and GCLM, and NADPH by G6PDH and 6PGD; (d ) expression of antioxidant protein Trx and inhibition of expression of Trx inhibitor TXNIP; (e) the increase of redox transport, such as cystine/glutamate transport through xCT; (f) metal-chelation by MT1, MT2, and ferritin; and ( g) induction of stress response proteins, such as HO-1. Many of the antioxidant enzymes/proteins regulated by Nrf2 localize in specific compartments within the cell to regulate redox signaling in the local environment.

Role of Nrf2 in Oxidative Stress and Toxicity
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4680839/

I believe to read that p-Hydroxybenzyl alcohol occurs in other plants or fungi as well but I cant remember. 

This because Gastrodia is expensive and some of the compounds are anyway of fungal origin because of a symbiosis with the plant. 

Edit: some additional infos on MT(metallothioneins):

Jacks of metal/metalloid chelation trade in plants—an overview

http://journal.front...2015.00192/full

Maybe some of the listed plants could act as chelators because of the MT and phytochelatin (PC) content(?)

Just an idea, havent looked into it.

Edited by Flex, 13 October 2016 - 11:02 PM.

• WellResearched x 1

#23 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

Which "neurotrophic factor genes" I wonder.  And also how strong of a chelator it is.  If it's weak, that's potentially a liability :-D

#24 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:35 AM

good find on kratom. kratom is an amazing healing herb that is soon to be banned and i highly recommend if someone hasnt tried it yet to hurry up and stock up before its permanently gone from this world

Edited by normalizing, 14 October 2016 - 02:35 AM.

• Cheerful x 1

#25 William Sterog

• Topic Starter
  • 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

Ok so whats Your strategy ?
the only thing that pop up in my mind is searching for e.g. botanical gardens, western growers and such or test the plant or extract via 3rd party testing.
I only know the german company: herba sinica which however grows their herbals also in china but delivers a CoA.
This in turn could require a pharmacy to obtain because it seems that they sell only to companies.

If theres a specific search-term that describes herba sinica, You could find other such companies more easily.

I'm still thinking that we should contact Nootropic's Depot, they are usually willing to introduce new things, they introduce Polygala a couple of months ago, an they are top quality, I'm sure that if many of us became interested in UR they would start selling it.

yeh they do call it all cat's claw, but its the same species, whats the major difference between uncaria totemosa and rhynchophylla? being so related, im sure they contain about the same content with perhaps difference in the amount present per gram etc.

Geissoschizine seems to not be present in Tomentosa. I you read the research, you'll find what's the importance:

Geissoschizine methyl ether, an alkaloid from the Uncaria hook, improves remyelination after cuprizone-induced demyelination in medial prefrontal cortex of adult mice. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24190599

Pharmacological studies of geissoschizine methyl ether, isolated from Uncaria sinensis Oliv., in the central nervous system. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/11513840

Geissoschizine methyl ether protects oxidative stress-mediated cytotoxicity in neurons through the 'Neuronal Warburg Effect'. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27114061

Geissoschizine methyl ether, an indole alkaloid extracted from Uncariae Ramulus et Uncus, is a potent vasorelaxant of isolated rat aorta. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12063078

Geissoschizine methyl ether N-oxide, a new alkaloid with antiacetylcholinesterase activity from Uncaria rhynchophylla. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25496282

etc, etc, etc...

#26 lumia

• 50 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

U. Rhynchophylla is of particular interest to Oriental herbalism researchers as it is a key component for chotosan, one of the few formulas that seems to improve Alzheimer's symptom on a small double-blind study (PMID 16398922).

A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study was conducted to examine the effects of two Chinese herbal medicines used in Japanese traditional medicine (choto-san (CS), Tsumura & Co., Tokyo, Japan) and (gosya-jinki-gan (GJG), Tsumura & Co.) on cognitive function of Japanese inpatients diagnosed with dementia according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition.

[...]

The numbers of patients were as follows: 10 in the CS group (M:F=3:7, mean age: 85.1±5.7), 10 in the GJG group (M:F=2:8, mean age: 85.2±6.6), and 10 in the placebo group (M:F=2:8, mean age: 83.0±6.9). Each patient ingested 2.5 g of CS, GJG, or placebo (which had been chosen by the controller and wrapped in white paper) 30 minutes before every meal. The physician and others were blinded to the study drug being ingested by the patient.[...]

After 8 weeks of administration, MMSE scores increased significantly compared with baseline values (repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA); P<.01) (from 15.5±4.0 to 17.5±4.9 points, 95% confidence interval (CI)=−2.8 to −0.57) in the CS group but not in the GJG and placebo groups. BI scores increased significantly compared with baseline values (repeated measures ANOVA; P<.05) (from 67.5±34.6 to 73.5±35.8 points, 95% CI=−5.4 to −0.1; P=.046) in the CS group but not in the GJG and placebo groups.

Another U. Rhynchophylla-containing formula, "Yokukansan," doesn't go this far, but still improved conduct disorder (PMID 26711658):

AIM: Yokukansan (YKS), a traditional herbal medicine, has been used to treat behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD). The present study is the first double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial to determine the efficacy and safety of YKS for the treatment of BPSD in Alzheimer's disease (AD). METHODS: A total of 22 sites consisting of clinics, hospitals and nursing homes participated. A total of 145 patients with AD were randomized. Active YKS (7.5 g/day) and placebo were supplied to 75 and 70 participants, respectively. The primary outcome measure was the 4-week change in total score of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory Brief Questionnaire Form (NPI-Q), an instrument that evaluates BPSD. Secondary outcome measures included 12-week changes in NPI-Q scores, changes in NPI-Q subcategory scores and total scores of the Mini-Mental-State Examination. RESULTS: Four-week changes in NPI-Q total scores did not differ significantly between the treatment and placebo groups. There were also no significant differences between groups in 12-week changes in total NPI-Q scores, NPI-Q subcategory scores or total Mini-Mental-State Examination scores. However, a subgroup with fewer than 20 points on the Mini-Mental-State Examination at baseline showed a greater decrease in "agitation/aggression" score in the YKS group than in the placebo group (P = 0.007). No serious adverse effects were observed during the study.
CONCLUSIONS: Our data did not reach statistical significance regarding the efficacy of YKS against BPSD; however, YKS improves some symptoms including "agitation/aggression" and "hallucinations" with low frequencies of adverse events

#27 lumia

• 50 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

Also re Yokukansan, it seems to be the kampo standard mood stabilizer... (PMID25954314)

Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:201592. doi: 10.1155/2015/201592. Epub 2015 Apr 14.
Efficacy and safety of yokukansan in treatment-resistant schizophrenia: a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Abstract

Objectives. We aimed at evaluating both the efficacy and safety of TJ-54 (Yokukansan) in patients with treatment-resistant schizophrenia. This randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted. Methods. One hundred and twenty antipsychotic-treated inpatients were included. Patients were randomized to adjuvant treatment with TJ-54 or placebo. During a 4-week follow-up, psychopathology was assessed using the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS).

Results. TJ-54 showed a tendency of being superior to placebo in reduction total, positive, and general PANSS scores in treatment-resistant schizophrenia, but the difference was not statistically significant in both per-protocol set (PPS) and intention-to-treat (ITT). However, in PPS analysis, compared to the placebo group, the TJ-54 group showed statistically significant improvements in the individual PANSS subscale scores for lack of spontaneity and flow of conversation (TJ-54: -0.23 ± 0.08; placebo: -0.03 ± 0.08, P < 0.018), tension (TJ-54: -0.42 ± 0.09; placebo: -0.18 ± 0.09, P < 0.045), and poor impulse control (TJ-54: -0.39 ± 0.10; placebo: -0.07 ± 0.10, P < 0.037).

Conclusions. The results of the present study indicate that TJ-54 showed a tendency of being superior to placebo in reduction PANSS scores in treatment-resistant schizophrenia, but the difference was not statistically significant. However, compared to the placebo group, TJ-54 group showed statistically significant improvements in the individual PANSS subscale scores.

• WellResearched x 1

#28 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

you can get that one at mimaki family pharmacy

#29 lumia

• 50 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:00 AM

you can get that one at mimaki family pharmacy

You don't need to order those from Japan; Chotosan and Yokukansan are originally formulated by the Chinese in the 11th century or earlier; the Chinese call them "Gou Teng San" and "Yi Gan San" respectively--and available as Taiwanese-made 1:5 extracts in the US.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:47 AM

Not recommended, but:

More than 20 alkaloids have been identified in Kratom by various researchers; the most abundant is mitragynine, an indole alkaloin. /One study/ reported 66.2% mitragynine in the crude base extract of young Kratom leaves from Thailand. ... Several analogues of mitragynine, namely paynantheine, speciogynine, speciociliatine, and 7-alpha-hydroxy-7H-mitragynine, are also found in Kratom extracts. Analysis of a methanol extract with GC/MSD identified both mitragynine and another alkaloid, rhynchophylline

kratom is an amazing healing herb

Must you oppose everything I say?  Are you Matt or Anne from hs?  You play the parts all too well.  Now please carry on prepping your kratom stockpiles, busy bird, and leave the science to less paranoid people.  One sad lonely night, you literally began preaching how acetone residue explained all ginkgo's stimulatory effects & how acetone was highly poisonous, and you found a people naive enough to believe it.  It took an overwhelming amount of evidence to dispel the belief.  And you paid no attention to ginkgolic acid or other legitimate contaminants.  Further, you take every chance you get to hate on green tea.  Why, what did it do to you?  Did you even try a Japanese-direct vendor?  No!?  The list goes on, norm.  So, would you be so good as to take your talents to blulight?  I would like to say I have a love-hate with you, but that would be an exaggeration, some would say a lie.

Btwwwwwwww people, I just contacted nootropics depot, powder city, and a few other obscurist sites.  Will report.  They have skullcap and polygala ffs

Edited by gamesguru, 01 November 2016 - 01:07 AM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users